iPhone 4 Retina Display matched by upcoming Sharp smartphone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No I don't, when does the MP stop being a number? Is 5MP ok, but 5.5 is just going to be full of noise, and just marketing? They made a claim without thinking of the "other things" to take into consideration, they have no idea of the sensor size, the lense type etc of the device.

There is much debate over how many MPs is enough, but what is not up for debate is the relationship between noise and the pixel density of the sensor. This is why DSLRs with their APS-C or full frame 35mm sensors are more capable of producing noise free images at higher ISO in lower light than cameras with the same MP count but which use smaller sensors (point and shoot cameras for example). Camera phone sensors use an even smaller sensor and are therefore going to produce lower quality images in all but the most optimal of conditions. Even then, they will be limited by the nature of the lens that is employed.

So, the answer to your question is yes, in some cases even a 20 'MP DSLR is a waste of money...if what you need is the best low light performance. That's why Nikon has chosen to make their flagship models top out at 12.1 mp. They make a 25mp DSLR, but it's really a studio camera as their own published low-light expetaions are lower due to the pixel count.

There is a LOT more to image quality than pixel count and yes, a 2mp camera phone is likely to produce BETTER image quality than a 9mp camera phone.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It has taken Apple's competitors months to catch up to the iPhone 4 display

Reality distortion field alert - it's definetly spreading.

My Samsung Wave was released on June 1 and has a better screen than the iP4 which was released on June 24. It's Apple that is playing catch up - which it didn't manage to do.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yes, but this device runs 2.1

My android phone runs 2.2. It 'features' the flash 10.1 plug in. When I use it my phone gets hots and you can see the battery life indicator drain in front of your eyes. I can't interact with flash as there is no click/rollover differentiation, video does play, but it's choppy and you can't scrub through it. It's impossible to scale most flash sites to fit the phone as when you try and pinch zoom, the flash thinks it's being clicked.

It's a pretty pointless experience - Although I do see a lot of nice animated advertisements.

Any site using flash purely for video delivery is simply lazy. There have been alternatives for years - it's normally an indication of inexperienced, lazy or incompetent site developers. Browser check - does the user have flash? yes/no - does the user have quicktime? yes/no, deliver content as appropriate. It's not hard.

The point I was making is another member said that everyone was following Apple lead and that Flash was going to be dead. Which simply isn't the case. You are correct there have been alternatives for years and no one is moving to those alternatives at a rapid pace. Its a very slow pace at best if at all.

Other smartphone and tablets still use the ability to stream Flash content as a benefit so clearly no one is following Apples lead in this situation. That was the point I was attempting to get across.

I understand this phone runs 2.1 but many of the new Android phones are rapidly updating to 2.2 and I understand the battery issue with running Flash but that doesn't keep users from running it or everyone else marketing it as a benefit.

The point is Apple is the only one pushing for the end of Flash while everyone else is still moving towards using Flash 10.1 on their smartphones and tablets. With Windows systems its not even an issue for debate Flash is the standard end of story.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leesure View Post

There is a LOT more to image quality than pixel count and yes, a 2mp camera phone is likely to produce BETTER image quality than a 9mp camera phone.

Er, no.

I have owned a Sony K750i which had a 2MP camera. My Samsung Jet and Wave have 5MP camera. The latter two produce images of far higher quality than the former. They K750i was fantastic in it's day but it's no contest

However, I briefly had a Sony C905 that had an 8MP camera. It produced better images than the K750i but not by as much as I would have expected, which is why I offloaded it in a hurry and bought a Jet, which at 5MP produced much better images than the C905 at 8MP.

The Nokia N8 is the dark, horsie, as it has a really big sensor for a phone.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    a retina display MBP would be a very bad idea until all software has resolution independent icons.

imagine trying to use maya or aftereffects when each icon is 1/16" x 1/16" onscreen, and your timeline has 1/32" high rows...

...and website images are teensy tiny.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

GREAT NEWS for Apple fans! How so? This means that the IPHONE5 will have to be even better.

Prediction: Apple, always the industry leader, is going to buck to the current trend, and be the first company to introduce, with the iPhone 5, a product that is less capable than the previous generation!

• Reply 67 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I hope Apple one day will get rid of the "Home" button ....

• Reply 68 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

So...

If apple thought having 5mp cameras and multitasking was good then why didn't they do it before?

This isn't competition. Competing is where you reach further.

This is where you dump your R&D team, read the news and base your designs on what already exists.

It is pathetic.

There fixed it for you
  • Reply 69 of 76
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The point I was making is another member said that everyone was following Apple lead and that Flash was going to be dead. Which simply isn't the case. You are correct there have been alternatives for years and no one is moving to those alternatives at a rapid pace. Its a very slow pace at best if at all.

Other smartphone and tablets still use the ability to stream Flash content as a benefit so clearly no one is following Apples lead in this situation. That was the point I was attempting to get across.

I understand this phone runs 2.1 but many of the new Android phones are rapidly updating to 2.2 and I understand the battery issue with running Flash but that doesn't keep users from running it or everyone else marketing it as a benefit.

The point is Apple is the only one pushing for the end of Flash while everyone else is still moving towards using Flash 10.1 on their smartphones and tablets. With Windows systems its not even an issue for debate Flash is the standard end of story.

Flash isn?t a standard anything.

The (Apple) competition is propping up a dying, antiquated, proprietary technology in hopes it?ll sell devices to some less than smart individuals.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

a retina display MBP would be a very bad idea until all software has resolution independent icons.

imagine trying to use maya or aftereffects when each icon is 1/16" x 1/16" onscreen, and your timeline has 1/32" high rows...

...and website images are teensy tiny.

Your OS controls the icon size. Your video subsystem controls the overall size output to the display.

Your browser controls the website image size.

Don't worry - it would just work.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The problem is MP is only a count of the sensor sites. The real problem is that it's not a measure of camera quality, despite popular perception otherwise. MP never tells us about the quality of the lens, the sensor size, dynamic range or processing quality. That sort of information is harder to communicate to consumers, a lot of phone makers usually don't try.

The more sensors you cram onto a chip, the more "noise" (exitation spillover) you're subject to. The larger chip in DSLR cameras (and the price to go with them) along with the processing algorithms usually mean more than a stark MP count after a certain point.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwatson View Post

Prediction: Apple, always the industry leader, is going to buck to the current trend, and be the first company to introduce, with the iPhone 5, a product that is less capable than the previous generation!

Some would argue that it did this already with the new Apple TV.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I have a little Nikon 10MP point & shoot, and there's no way the camera is functioning at 10 megapixels, despite the claim and the resulting picture size. It's marketing hype. I compared the images to test images obtained from a 10MP Canon DSLR, and the difference is night & day. The DSLR's lenses were not only brighter (they let more light in), but the images were sharp and clear and detailed.

When I hear claims of 9MP I just don't buy it. With the tiny lenses and microscopic focal lengths in these smartphone cameras, I'm amazed that the iPhone 4's camera looks as good as it does.

Exactly why I worded my post the way I did. I chose words like "sounds impressive", "I know nothing about the quality" for a reason... Please read more carefully.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

So...

If Sony thought having 300dpi+ screens was good then why didn't they do it before?

This isn't competition. Competing is where you reach further.

This is where you dump your R&D team, read the news and base your designs on what already exists.

It is pathetic.

So does Apple design and manufacture the iPhone 4's display panel and touch sensor?
  • Reply 75 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

AI isn't really the place for a primer in digital photography, but I'll give it a shot. Check out the links below for a decent coverage of the subject.

Thanks for your post, I already knew that, but I feel that the person I responded to didn't.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well someone was bound to catch up.

Japanese phones have actually had displays with a very high pixel density for quite some time now.

The Sony SO905iCS for example (released in 2008) had a 480x854 resolution on a 2.7' screen, which translates to 360ppi (vs 326ppi for Retina Display).

Most modern JP phones are >300 ppi.