RIM: Problems with 7-inch tablets only exist in Apple's 'distortion field'

1121314151618»

Comments

• Reply 341 of 344
    Quote:

...Apple appreciates marketshare

I think that's perhaps a more sane way to put it. The argument as it often does, ends up pitting the "opposing sides" as in extremes. I don't think apple makes all their decisions based on, marketshare. Far from it. But it certainly is a major factor amongst many. I'm glad they don't play the flod the market with POS devices really, But they clearly know they do have to compete to -some- degree with the lower end cheaper market, just not to the really crap no profit level. I think people now realize there is a difference between spending 299 on a POS, and 599 on something that is a really great product. That's apple's magic right there.

That, and recognizing content is king.
  • Reply 342 of 344
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

The proof is in the pudding.

iPhone: outselling Blackberry

iPad: oustelling Playbook

iOS: outperforming Blackberry OS (more iOS developers, more iOS apps, etc)

Steve Jobs can talk smack because he has results to back him up.

If the cycle for iPhone (which so far always has had a strong quarter following introduction, a slightly less strong one during holiday season and then lower until the release of the next one) keeps holding, I would expect RIM to beat Apple next quarter in the smartphone segment. But That is a big `If'.
  • Reply 343 of 344
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I think a few need to chill. There's a constant need to -defend apple-.

I get it. I think you are stating the obvious, that we already know about apple. Or at least anyone, who has been using apple stuff like I have for many years.

I never suggested apple cares so much as to start competing on a level the PC industry has to little to no profit to achieve 100%. Why must we talk extremes?

Apple has clearly cared enough about marketshare to make significant changes. I recall buying my G4 for over 5 grand at one time. I also remember what I paid for several powerbooks, almost 4k. Remember what the iBook G3800 was? I bought my wife one for nearly 3 grand. a year later, the iBook G4 was 1800. How about the 17" iMac G5 I paid 2600 for. Man, things have changed, bigtime!

Apple has made very significant changes since my start on macs in the 9500 days. As Steve Jobs says, they're in it to win. And by winning, that -includes- marketshare. Not necessarily 100% either...

8 of your first 12 sentences start with the word "I".

What's this thread about again?
  • Reply 344 of 344
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

If the cycle for iPhone (which so far always has had a strong quarter following introduction, a slightly less strong one during holiday season and then lower until the release of the next one).....

That would be an astute comment ... if only it was anywhere even close to the truth.

Quote:

But That is a big `If'.