Apple to report fiscal first-quarter 2011 results Jan. 18

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple has revealed that it will publish the financial results of its first fiscal quarter of 2011 on Tuesday, January 18, with a conference call to discuss the results following immediately after.



The news was posted to Apple's investor website along with the notice that a link to the conference call webcast "will be provided at a later date." Apple will make the results public at 5:00 p.m. Eastern time, 2:00 p.m. Pacific, following the close of the stock market.



The results, which will include the holiday season, are largely expected to be record-breaking.



Apple's fourth fiscal quarter of 2010 results wowed Wall Street analysts, though limited supply of the iPad resulted in disappointing sales figures for the tablet device. The Cupertino, Calif., company's profits soared 70 percent year-over-year to $4.31 billion, driven by record sales of iPhones, Macs and iPads.



The iPhone maker projected in October that it will earn $23 billion in revenue and post diluted earnings per share of about $4.80 for the upcoming first fiscal quarter.



During the company's fourth quarter conference call, CEO Steve Jobs broke protocol and joined in on the call. Jobs' comments sparked several controversies by slamming competitors Google and RIM. According to Jobs, 7-inch tablets, such as the BlackBerry PlayBook, will be "dead on arrival."



Jobs also called Google's Android mobile OS fragmented and boasted that the iPhone had passed up sales of RIM's BlackBerry smartphones. Google VP Andy Rubin responded via Twitter by posting the instructions for downloading and installing the Android source code. RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie responded that customers "are getting tired of being told what to think by Apple."



Analyst Shaw Wu of Kaufman Bros. predicts that Apple will sell 4.2 million Macs, 6.1 million iPads, 16 million iPhones and 17 million iPods in its first fiscal quarter of 2011.
«13

Comments

  • lkrupplkrupp Posts: 3,987member
    Analysts keep raising the bar and Apple keeps leaping over it. This can't go on forever. Irrational exuberance is starting to be a possibility. I'm a certified KoolAid drinker but even I know that Apple can't continue at this pace much longer. The haters are sharpening their knives for the inevitable fall from Wall Street's graces. It's just a matter of when.
  • sflocalsflocal Posts: 3,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    Analysts keep raising the bar and Apple keeps leaping over it. This can't go on forever. Irrational exuberance is starting to be a possibility. I'm a certified KoolAid drinker but even I know that Apple can't continue at this pace much longer. The haters are sharpening their knives for the inevitable fall from Wall Street's graces. It's just a matter of when.



    The issue I see going on is the analysts continuing to set the bar higher, and higher to where it can never be reached. So even though Apple will continue to sell everything under the sun and continue with having problems meeting demand, the analysts will forecast the "Apple lost its luster" scenario, the trolls will come out proclaiming "We've seen this coming for years!", everyone will dump their stock, only to buy again when it's cheap and do the roller-coaster ride again.
  • dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    The issue I see going on is the analysts continuing to set the bar higher, and higher to where it can never be reached. So even though Apple will continue to sell everything under the sun and continue with having problems meeting demand, the analysts will forecast the "Apple lost its luster" scenario, the trolls will come out proclaiming "We've seen this coming for years!", everyone will dump their stock, only to buy again when it's cheap and do the roller-coaster ride again.



    So you'd prefer the analysts to set the bar lower, so it appears that Apple's earnings growth rate is slower? Be careful what you wish for! As for roller coasters, that's what the market is already, especially where AAPL is concerned.



    Incidentally, AAPL has already lost its luster. The stock has substantially underperformed the markets for the past ten weeks or so. The question for now is whether a strong earnings report in January can bring its luster back.
  • johnny mozzarellajohnny mozzarella Posts: 1,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    Analysts keep raising the bar and Apple keeps leaping over it. This can't go on forever. Irrational exuberance is starting to be a possibility. I'm a certified KoolAid drinker but even I know that Apple can't continue at this pace much longer. The haters are sharpening their knives for the inevitable fall from Wall Street's graces. It's just a matter of when.



    Apple currently has only 10% of the PC market

    The smartphone market is still growing.

    The tablet market is exploding

    The Mp3 player market has peeked with apple controlling 70%



    the iPhone and iPad did not exist 4 years ago.

    Four years from now there may be another profit engine that is currently unknown.

    I'm sure Steve has more tricks up his sleeve (literally). iWatch iTime
  • russiancommierussiancommie Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    Incidentally, AAPL has already lost its luster. The stock has substantially underperformed the markets for the past ten weeks or so. The question for now is whether a strong earnings report in January can bring its luster back.



    You are so full of crap... for the past 10 weeks AAPL has performed on par with the Nasdaq and outperformed the DOW. Stop lying.



    Here is a nice google finance chart for your viewing pleasure.
  • melgrossmelgross Posts: 28,666member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by russiancommie View Post


    You are so full of crap... for the past 10 weeks AAPL has performed on par with the Nasdaq and outperformed the DOW. Stop lying.



    Here is a nice google finance chart for your viewing pleasure.



    You can disagree, but let's not get nasty.
  • bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,719member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    Analysts keep raising the bar and Apple keeps leaping over it. This can't go on forever. Irrational exuberance is starting to be a possibility. I'm a certified KoolAid drinker but even I know that Apple can't continue at this pace much longer. The haters are sharpening their knives for the inevitable fall from Wall Street's graces. It's just a matter of when.



    I know what you are saying. I feel the same way--they have had an incredible run, it has to come back to average some time... But then I read stuff like this:

    Quote:

    China Telecom is also rumored to be in talks with Apple over a CDMA iPhone, in hopes of an early 2011 release as well. China Unicom, as the exclusive official carrier for the iPhone in China, continues to struggle to meet demand for the iPhone 4. According to Brian White of Ticonderoga Securities, China "remains in the early stages of catching 'Apple fever.'"



    And I think, irrational exuberance might not be so irrational...
  • island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    Incidentally, AAPL has already lost its luster. The stock has substantially underperformed the markets for the past ten weeks or so. The question for now is whether a strong earnings report in January can bring its luster back.



    You've usually got a lot to say about the markets and up to now I've given you the benefit of the doubt.



    Sadly, though, you just lost all credibility with this statement.
  • dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    You can disagree, but let's not get nasty.



    There's no cause for either nastiness or disagreement. Since October 18 (ten weeks ago), the NASDAQ is up around 7.5% and AAPL is up less than 2%. It has even been outperformed by the DJI (up 4%), which would normally be a pretty unfavorable comparison.
  • dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    You've usually got a lot to say about the markets and up to now I've given you the benefit of the doubt.



    Sadly, though, you just lost all credibility with this statement.



    It is 100% accurate. You could look it up yourself.
  • island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    There's no cause for either nastiness or disagreement. Since October 18 (ten weeks ago), the NASDAQ is up around 7.5% and AAPL is up less than 2%. It has even been outperformed by the DJI (up 4%), which would normally be a pretty unfavorable comparison.



    Let's see your chart because I've looked at 4 charts and all of them show AAPL on par with the Nasdaq and outperforming the DOW.
  • dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Let's see your chart because I've looked at 4 charts and all of them show AAPL on par with the Nasdaq and outperforming the DOW.



    I can't find a way to link to Yahoo's custom charts (Flash based) and this board doesn't permit uploading, so you'll just have to do it yourself. Use the dates 10-18-2010 to 12-27-2010 on a comparison chart and you will see I am right. AAPL was at $318 at the beginning of this period and closed at $323 Friday, 1.7% higher. The NASDAQ started this period at 2481 and closed Friday at 2671, or 7.6% higher.



    As a famous politician once said, everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.
  • island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    It is 100% accurate. You could look it up yourself.



    I find it funny that you picked the one period (from Oct 18th) where AAPL was underperforming from that particular date... if you look from the previous week or from the week after you'll see that AAPL is out about 10% from the NASDAQ and about double or more the performance of the DOW.



    If you look over the last week then you'll notice that AAPL is outperforming both the NASDAQ and the DOW.



    As I said... you've lost all credibility where the markets are concerned.
  • dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    I find it funny that you picked the one period (from Oct 18th) where AAPL was underperforming from that particular date... if you look from the previous week or from the week after you'll see that AAPL is out about 10% from the NASDAQ and about double or more the performance of the DOW.



    If you look over the last week then you'll notice that AAPL is outperforming both the NASDAQ and the DOW.



    It's funny because it's true? No, not underperforming "from that particular date," but over all the weeks from then until now -- a total of eleven weeks, actually. I am referring to a period, not to one day or one week. Those of us with real money on the line want to know this stuff.



    Incidentally, for more giggles, the DJI started that period at 11143 and closed Friday at 11573, for a gain of 3.8%.
  • island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    It's funny because it's true? No, not underperforming "from that particular date," but over all the weeks from then until now -- a total of eleven weeks, actually. I am referring to a period, not to one day or one week. Those of us with real money on the line want to know this stuff.



    Incidentally, for more giggles, the DJI started that period at 11143 and closed Friday at 11573, for a gain of 3.8%.



    You're not even listening.



    Take a look at the period from 10/11/10 and from 10/25/10... and you'll see that from those dates that AAPL is not doing poorly... pick 10/18/10 and all of a sudden it's performing poorly.



    So I call bullshit to your analysis.



    Real money my ass.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,457member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    So you'd prefer the analysts to set the bar lower, so it appears that Apple's earnings growth rate is slower? Be careful what you wish for! As for roller coasters, that's what the market is already, especially where AAPL is concerned.



    Incidentally, AAPL has already lost its luster. The stock has substantially underperformed the markets for the past ten weeks or so. The question for now is whether a strong earnings report in January can bring its luster back.



    "Lost it's luster"? Have you compared with other blue chips these days? Other companies would kill for AAPL's performance.
  • melgrossmelgross Posts: 28,666member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    There's no cause for either nastiness or disagreement. Since October 18 (ten weeks ago), the NASDAQ is up around 7.5% and AAPL is up less than 2%. It has even been outperformed by the DJI (up 4%), which would normally be a pretty unfavorable comparison.



    But as we've discussed previously, that doesn't necessarily mean much. I look to the longer trends. The market might be holding back because of uncertainty of when a Verizon phone will arrive, how many iPads will sell this quarter, etc. It's still moving in the right direction, and that's important. Apple, being mostly a consumer company is tied to unemployment numbers and shopping results. As those numbers seem to be looking better, we may expect to see more of a rise. I believe Apple again hit a new high today.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,457member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    I find it funny that you picked the one period (from Oct 18th) where AAPL was underperforming from that particular date... if you look from the previous week or from the week after you'll see that AAPL is out about 10% from the NASDAQ and about double or more the performance of the DOW.



    If you look over the last week then you'll notice that AAPL is outperforming both the NASDAQ and the DOW.



    As I said... you've lost all credibility where the markets are concerned.



    Milmoss is just another fellow with "selective logic".
  • melgrossmelgross Posts: 28,666member, moderator
    I'm convinced that information like this will move Apple's shares in the right direction, and for us, that direction means up:



    http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/27/chr...app-downloads/
  • dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    You're not even listening.



    Take a look at the period from 10/11/10 and from 10/25/10... and you'll see that from those dates that AAPL is not doing poorly... pick 10/18/10 and all of a sudden it's performing poorly.



    So I call bullshit to your analysis.



    Real money my ass.



    More than you can imagine.



    Ten weeks is hardly "all of a sudden." Mid-October is when I noticed that it started to go flat and it has remained so for the entire period even as the markets rallied. From 10-25 AAPL is still underperforming. From 10-11, it's still underperforming. Go ahead and pick any start week between then and now, and see if the results are much different.



    And here I thought I was due an apology for your completely unfounded accusation. Fat chance of that I guess.
Sign In or Register to comment.