Android 3.0 Honeycomb more akin to Tablet PC than iPad

Comments

• Reply 261 of 282
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Maybe in units but you can't bank units.

Well I can't bank Apple's money either... but I can see developers moving, in time, to a platform that has biggest userbase.
  • Reply 262 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'm tempted to buy an Android tablet just to annoy DED.

I like to annoy only people that mean something to me, good or bad... so can't see a point in annoying that dude.

But I am tempted with Asus Transformer, maybe even Asus Slider. On paper they look almost perfect.
  • Reply 263 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

E.g., Honeycomb requires dual cores, while Galaxy Tab (how old is that?) is only single core.

That's common for Android makers, because of the thin margin, they want people to buy their new products as they release.

Google around for Nook Color Honeycomb.

Apparently current (alpha? beta?) release of Honeycomb is already hacked on Nook Colour, which is very modest in terms of processing power.

Honeycomb might be recommending dual-core, for HD multimedia, Flash, whatnot... but requirement it isn't.
  • Reply 264 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDIOWarrior View Post

I guess people have more money than brains.

You are confused. People with brains usually have money (disposable income.)

It is what keeps the market going. You must be an Obama handout person.

Trust Fund Babies have money too. Nothing to do with brains. Usually the contrary.
  • Reply 265 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yes? Which ones?

Members of his family (or a girlfriend) asking him for Honeycomb tablet?
  • Reply 266 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Well that 's a sure thing, since the iPad will debut with iOS 4.x. Apple has yet to say ANYTHING about iOS 5. So, all of Android's gee-whiz features may not be anything unique.

Yeah, Apple can copy Android, like most of their supposedly "innovative" features are copied from competitors.

Quote:

If iOS "borrows" any features from anywhere, it'll be from Mac OS X, not Android. It's too bad most Android fans don't understand that Apple also makes a full desktop OS from which iOS was born.

There is very little that's original in OS X either.

Quote:

Also, what makes you think Android phones aren't selling well because EVERYONE needs a phone and they're subsidized?

But Android phones are selling very well.

Quote:

And at full price it is going to be very hard for other manufacturers to match Apple's price. More than any other manufacturer Apple has the economies of scale on its side. After the release of iPad 2, Apple could very well keep a 16GB WiFi iPad 1 around to sell for $399, as they do with the iPhone and still make a decent profit.

There is currently one supported Android tablet, the Galaxy Tab. Its manufacturing costs are lower than the iPad's, but its price is higher and it's staying higher. Apparently, Samsung can get away with charging a premium... because the Tab simply does more.
  • Reply 267 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

Here's a thought. Buy whatever f*cking phone, tablet, computer you want. I really don't care.

But I do... because as more and more lemmings jump over the Apple cliff, Apple dominates the market more and more with their expensive and limited products. I want to live in an Apple dominated world about as much as I want to live in a Microsoft dominated world--both companies make products that suck (albeit in different ways).
  • Reply 268 of 282
    Quote:

No, there isn't a Push notification system like iOS has, if there is a Twitter widget they connect every X min and close the connection.

Edit: An app that polls the network every X min doesn't have to be running on the background, there is a system that puts an "alarm" and that wakes the needed chunk of the service to do whatever it must do.

There is a push notification system for Android: http://code.google.com/android/c2dm/ (for devs!).
  • Reply 269 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

So I'm guessing you don't own an iPad. Once you set it up, you can buy anything you want and it downloads directly to the iPad. Your computer will never know about it unless you sync. You can set it up and never sync it. Just keep downloading away....

I do own an iPad. I am aware you can download apps to any device, iOS or Android, from the device itself. We know that. It's always been there.

Google have just added the ability to view the Market on any browser and it's automatically pushed to the phone. Not everyone needs it. Not everyone will want it. It's just a feature which is a nice addition which might be use to some people, so the author omitted that because it could be... positive about something non-Apple?
  • Reply 270 of 282
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... Interesting!

Does Android have any Push Notifications used in the system.

If not, there is a potentially huge advantage for iOS if Apple decides to implement an Honeycomb-style widget system.

As other has said, there is cloud2Phone but is now widely used
  • Reply 271 of 282
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Not to nit-pick...

A title is a title, it could be called Google's "It's Not An iPhone" review for that matter. It doesn't matter what it's called or who actually does the governing, the fact still remains that the guidelines were formed by the OHA and still continue to be.

Well, that may "formally" be the case, but it's also clear that Google exercises great discretion in applying them, as the Skyhook lawsuit makes clear.
  • Reply 272 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamrolu View Post

There is a push notification system for Android: http://code.google.com/android/c2dm/ (for devs!).

Quote:

As other has said, there is cloud2Phone but is now widely used

Yeah, I did some searching and found that capability.

Apparently it is rather new and/or incomplete -- and is not part of the Android "package".

I'm not clear if Goggle uses this, or something else, to provide Push Notifications for its mobile Gmail, calendar, contacts, etc. apps.

Also, there is some confusion as to how/if Twitter, FaceBook and others provide PNS to Android.

Given:

-- what sites/apps currently support Push Notifications to the iPhone

-- that APNS is an integral part of the base iOS system (and has been for a while)

Assuming:

-- that APNS is as good or better than the Google or Microsoft WP7 implementations

1) there is no particular difficulty from a technology/programming standpoint to write an iOS app to Recognize the Push Notifications, and Pull the associated data (emails, contacts, Tweets, etc.) for "real-time" display in a widget-like format.

2) to do this well, however, it needs to be done by the iOS system itself, with a system app that is always active (to handle the Push and Pull). This would be similar to how the iOS mail or messaging apps currently work,

As I see it Apple could use the APNS and provide:

-- an aggregator app on an iDevice to handle all Push Notifications for the device

-- a processor app to Pull any additional data (e.g. 1st line or 2 of an email) if necessary

-- a distributor app to distribute these notifications to various widgets (if present)

-- the widgets themselves to display a list of recent Pushed/Pulled summaries

-- access to the target client app (mail, twitter, etc.)

------ to do additional Pulls (if necessary) for the complete content of the selected message

------ to format, manage and display the detail content

I believe that this could be implemented by providing "new" iOS "system" apps on top of the existing Push/Pull construct -- done in such a way that existing 3rd-party apps need not be rewritten,

It is worth noting, that because of built-in content-length limits. it is very easy to handle things like Tweets, and Text messages -- the content fits within the Push payload, and requires no corresponding Pull for the complete content (contacts, email, calendar).
  • Reply 273 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, that may "formally" be the case, but it's also clear that Google exercises great discretion in applying them, as the Skyhook lawsuit makes clear.

Skyhook suit doesn't have anything to do with TCS, but with "with Google" name for the phone
  • Reply 274 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What can you really tell from one screen shot and no hands on experience with it?????

Not much. Luckily there are a bunch of videos showing it in action.
  • Reply 275 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yap, I think you're totally correct. The only thing you have forgotten is that widgets are not only for online data, but for local applications or thing that doesn't need data pulling but this doesn't change anything of your arguments.
  • Reply 276 of 282
    Quote:

Skyhook suit doesn't have anything to do with TCS, but with "with Google" name for the phone

It has to do with Google not certifying phones as "Android compatible" unless they use Google's location services, not Skyhook's.
  • Reply 277 of 282
    Quote:

Yap, I think you're totally correct. The only thing you have forgotten is that widgets are not only for online data, but for local applications or thing that doesn't need data pulling but this doesn't change anything of your arguments.

Yeah...

A stand-alone Widget, pretty much looks like a stand-alone app.

iOS has 2 sources of Notifications that an app (or a widget) can receive:

-- A Push Notification that originates external to the device and arrives through the cloud

-- A Local notification that originates in another app on the same device

So, the Aggregator/Distributor app in my prior post could gather the Cloud Push Notifications for all Apps/Widgets within itself (for efficiency purposes), then distribute them to individual widgets through Local Push Notifications.

There is no explicit need for the target app/widget to be active or not.

Presently, iOS does not have an Active Widget setup -- likely for reasons of battery and performance.

This could easily change in the next generation of hardware.

For the record, Apple's main system apps: mail, contacts, calendar -- get push notifications and act on them whithout activating the app.
  • Reply 278 of 282
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    3.0 will be a nice tablet OS, and if you people think Apple hasn't taken notice, guess again. They have. They might tell you Android is crap, but when they speak to you, they are selling you something. Salesmen tend to favor the product they're selling after all.

All the crying here about how bad 3.0 will be and blah blah blah, you people just don't get it. If you had ANY sense, you would see 3.0 for what it is: A better future for YOU as Apple steps it up constantly to try and remain the best.

Why are impartial Apple customers so hard to find? You WANT everyone else to fail while being too stupid to realize what it means for yourself. A'DOY
  • Reply 279 of 282
    We need to find a way to convert bias into energy, because this article contains enough of it to power the US for a few years.

More like a PC than an iPad? Seriously? It's like the he took a look at a screenshot of Android 3.0 and said "Hey, that black bar at the bottom kinda looks like a Windows task bar... and those widgets are like windows! ZOMG Honeycomb = Windows!"
  • Reply 280 of 282
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted