Android 3.0 Honeycomb more akin to Tablet PC than iPad

Comments

• Reply 181 of 282
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

iOS (option 3): Link in browser syncs with iTunes and opens it to where you can download it directly.

I looked at a Highlights Magazine app from <u>their</u> website, clicked on their link and it took me to a page on Apple's site, that automatically opened iTunes for me after a dialog box came up saying the link needs to be opened with iTunes, and I gave it permission (in Windows 7)...and away we went. Try it for yourself, if you have iTunes installed:

http://www.highlights.com/apps

And is automatically installed on iPhone without connecting it to the computer.
  • Reply 182 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Doesn't look appealing to me, but then, I think the iPad is dumb also. Who wants a laptop with no keyboard? Who wants a cellphone you can't fit in your pocket. Ok, all those iPad sales say I'm wrong. I guess people have more money than brains.

or you have a limited Brain....
  • Reply 183 of 282
    Quote:

iOS (option 3): Link in browser syncs with iTunes and opens it to where you can download it directly.

I looked at a Highlights Magazine app from their website, clicked on their link and it took me to a page on Apple's site, that automatically opened iTunes for me after a dialog box came up saying the link needs to be opened with iTunes, and I gave it permission (in Windows 7)...and away we went. Try it for yourself, if you have iTunes installed:

http://www.highlights.com/apps

I'm currently at work, so I don't have iTunes installed (not allowed). I did follow your link and it eventually led me to the iTunes download page on Apple's website.

I have no doubt that your process does what it says it does. But if you were doing this on a separate computer, I'm assuming all it does is open iTunes and download the app? Wouldn't you still need to connect your iDevice to the computer for it to be synced over?

If you're doing all of this on the device itself, then all of this is a moot point, since you already have your device in-hand.
  • Reply 184 of 282
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sbg22 View Post

The Fragmentation and App piracy will push devs away from Android. For a dev, IOS offers protection from both. So being segregated isn't all that bad.

You've been reading too much crap journalism. My brother had an iPhone, and had one since the very first. He now has a Droid X, though he's going back to iPhone soon. His kids have Droids. In determining if I should upgrade from an iPod Touch and get an iPhone, now that Verizon has them, he told me that the Droid has most of the good apps you'd find on the App Store. He said that the majority of the apps on the App Store aren't all that good, but many of the good ones either have duplicate access on the Droid, or a corresponding replacement app that's just as good. Plus, he said there is a lot of cool stuff coming from Google. He's only going back to the iPhone because he's so used to the iOS that he's annoyed to death with Android. His opinion is that it's a toss as to ownership of either. Both have their good points and bad points.
  • Reply 185 of 282
    I'm an Apple Fanboi and all...but this is one of the most Apple biased articles ever written by AI.

Very difficult to read and not feel like the author is threaten by A3.0.

(And no, I don't own an Android or ever plan to, loathe the OS and its devices, 100% iOS here, but this article... man, what a pile of Apple-sauce.)
  • Reply 186 of 282
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amicablealligator View Post

Here are some of my thoughts:

Within 2 years, the Android tablet userbase will surpass iOS's. And with the larger user-base, Android will draw in an increasing number of (iOS) developers.

Once everything is stabilized, Android will own the majority of the smartphone AND tablet space. But iOS will continue to serve its loyal fanbase with a very sharp and purposeful UX for its products.

When you say "Android will own," are you talking about Google? Because Google doesn't own Android, it gives it away. It "shepherds" Android (in their words).

Before Android, did JavaME "own" smartphones? How about Flash Lite, did it "own" phones in some sense just because most vendors were licensing both as platforms?

Android is getting anthropomorphized to create an antagonist to battle Apple, but there is no Android licensee that is anywhere near Apple. The closest is Samsung, but its posting poor profits and can't sell the Tab even in minor amounts at Christmas (vs Apple's first quarter of iPad in the spring!)

It makes a ton of Android models worldwide, but its not beating Apple in any sense, and its doing the same "no updates" thing as all the other Android licensees. Samsung probably makes some of the best Android phones, but they're still no iPhone.

How about Motorola/Sony Ericcsson? Ha, no they are literally dying on the vine.

How about HTC? First major Android pusher, was jumping ship from WinMob. Doing okay, growing fast, but still no Apple contender. Can't ship a tablet anyone wants. There's also LG and all the big Chinese hardware cloners who are making the vast majority of Android phones, which aren't shipping outside of the Far East.

How exactly are these bottom feeders going to revolutionize the market? By dumping lots of Chinese phones on the other side of the globe? That's what they all were already doing with Linux (including Motorola). Shipped a lot of phones. Didn't do anything to make Linux popular here. Were just closed phones with GPL software so the Chinese didn't have to write their own.

Google is getting vast amounts of press for doing what Apple did last year or two years ago. Their vision for the future is geeky stuff not far removed from Zune. How well did that work out? Android is just the next PlaysForSure: third rate hardware makers trying to stretch a ho-hum software platform and work with a bunch of different stores. How'd that work out?
  • Reply 187 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I'm currently at work, so I don't have iTunes installed (not allowed). I did follow your link and it eventually led me to the iTunes download page on Apple's website.

I have no doubt that your process does what it says it does. But if you were doing this on a separate computer, I'm assuming all it does is open iTunes and download the app? Wouldn't you still need to connect your iDevice to the computer for it to be synced over?

If you're doing all of this on the device itself, then all of this is a moot point, since you already have your device in-hand.

Just tried it on my iPod Touch. The link took me directly to the App Store to download it. I'm sure there are lots of other sites with links to iPhone apps that do the same thing.
  • Reply 188 of 282
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

And the world will end on 2.012

Do you think you'll get around to telling us exactly what makes Android OS Android OS before then?
  • Reply 189 of 282
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Both of those are things all platforms have to deal with to a certain extent.

If anything, there are more and more developers being drawn towards Android. If fragmentation and piracy were as apocalyptic as everyone here makes it out to be for Android, the developers would have fled a long, long time ago.

What developers? Android Market is just junkware and some easily ported iOS apps. There's very little original development, and absolutely nothing like iOS. Look at the store! Do a search and the few legit titles are buried in junkware wallpapers and ringtone "apps"
  • Reply 190 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

How about Motorola/Sony Ericcsson? Ha, no they are literally dying on the vine.

Don't think so... Motorola is what launched the Android to being what it was with Verizon's "Droid" campaign. They sold a whole lot of them. Motorola is doing well.
  • Reply 191 of 282
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

When you say "Android will own," are you talking about Google? Because Google doesn't own Android, it gives it away. It "shepherds" Android (in their words). ...

Google totally owns Android. Some might argue it even owns Android users, or should that be pwns.
  • Reply 192 of 282
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 193 of 282
    Quote:

Just tried it on my iPod Touch. The link took me directly to the App Store to download it. I'm sure there are lots of other sites with links to iPhone apps that do the same thing.

As I've said, if you have the device already in-hand, then all of this is a moot point. The difference is if you happen to be using another device.

Say I'm using a friend's computer and come across the app. I can sign in to the Market webstore, buy it and have it shot to my Android device. I don't have to install any additional software onto his computer and I don't need to pull out the device and search again. Personally, I like having options.
  • Reply 194 of 282
    Bottom line, use what you want to use. I have an iPod Touch, and love it. Still on the fence about iPhone 5 vs. Droid Bionic. I'll make that decision when they come out. Until then, I'm not jumping on 3G when 4G is just a couple months away.

As for tablets, which is what this whole thread started with, I think a lot has yet to be determined. Android 3.0 is in its infancy. The apps are few, and the whole platform has yet to catch on. We'll see. iPad would be a sure winner, if I could open Flash content within the browser and read PDF files without having to download them and open them in a separate reader application. I really hate Apple's stance on this. It really chaps me how they won't let ME decide...
  • Reply 195 of 282
    Quote:

As I've said, if you have the device already in-hand, then all of this is a moot point. The difference is if you happen to be using another device.

Say I'm using a friend's computer and come across the app. I can sign in to the Market webstore, buy it and have it shot to my Android device. I don't have to install any additional software onto his computer and I don't need to pull out the device and search again. Personally, I like having options.

I could understand this about an iPod Touch or iPad, but exactly who goes anywhere without their phone, which in this case is the iPhone? If I was at a friend's house, browsing on their computer, my phone would be accessible because it would be in my pocket.
  • Reply 196 of 282
    Quote:

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but is this a security concern? Suppose a hacker figures out your login and password. Would he be able to download malware to your phone or tablet remotely?
  • Reply 197 of 282
    Quote:

What developers? Android Market is just junkware and some easily ported iOS apps. There's very little original development, and absolutely nothing like iOS. Look at the store! Do a search and the few legit titles are buried in junkware wallpapers and ringtone "apps"

I was going to respond, but on a second read, your mind is already made up so it'll be like talking to a brick wall.

"The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend."

? Henri Bergson
  • Reply 198 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Do you think you'll get around to telling us exactly what makes Android OS Android OS before then?

I have said, but you don't want to understand.
  • Reply 199 of 282
    Quote:

My God, this forum is full of teenagers who only troll.
  • Reply 200 of 282
    Quote:

I could understand this about an iPod Touch or iPad, but exactly who goes anywhere without their phone, which in this case is the iPhone? If I was at a friend's house, browsing on their computer, my phone would be accessible because it would be in my pocket.

But when you click on your friend's computer iPhone iTunes doesn't open. This is the difference