Steve Jobs reported in attendance in meeting with Obama

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite being on medical leave, Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs attended the meeting with President Obama he was invited to as Silicon Valley leader.

While he remained out of sight of the pool of reporters covering the event, a White House official confirmed that all those invited were in attendance, according to a report by Reuters.

In addition to Apple's Jobs, Obama's conference with Silicon Valley executives, held at the home of John Doerr of venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers earlier this evening, was also said to have invited:

Carol Bartz, president and CEO of Yahoo!

John Chambers, CEO and chairman of Cisco Systems,

Dick Costolo, CEO of Twitter,

Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle,

Reed Hastings, CEO of Netflix,

John Hennessy, president of Stanford University,

Art Levinson, chairman and former CEO of Genentech,

Eric Schmidt, chairman of Google,

Steve Westly, Managing Partner and Founder of The Westly Group and

Mark Zuckerberg, president and CEO of Facebook.

Reuters reported that the meeting, part of Obama's two-day West Coast visit, "was aimed at promoting technological innovation to help boost the struggling U.S. economy and reduce stubbornly high unemployment -- considered crucial to his 2012 re-election chances."

One issue likely to be raised at the meeting is a proposal to allow US corporations to repatriate foreign cash reserves via a temporary tax holiday, a plan that is being sold as a way to boost the country's economic recovery and create jobs through domestic investment.

Yesterday it was reported that Jobs had been seen at the Stanford Cancer Center, ostensibly to receive additional treatment. A tabloid is said to be publishing paparazzi photos and arranged to have a doctor make a diagnosis of Jobs' condition based on the photos they had obtained.

Apple has not provided updates on Jobs' condition, although he has been reported to be actively involved in the company's ongoing planning and management decisions and is said to frequently visit the company's Cupertino headquarters, even as the company's chief operations officer Tim Cook handles the remainder of its duties while Jobs remains on medical leave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Good sign that Steve Jobs attended the meeting. As for the Enquirers article, I would NOT put to much credibility in it. Picture doesn't look real ( it's on the web).

I'm sure that more sources will confirm Jobs attendance by Friday evening.

Hopefully Steve Jobs is doing better.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    as much as i want to know about steve jobs health, i really hope the paparazzi can give this man some privacy, especially during the times he's on a medical leave. but thats not going to happen is it?
  • Reply 3 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The National Enquirer is pure scum. I saw those pictures and while they may be real, it is retarded for them to have a doctor predict how much longer he has, just based on looking at the pictures. It wasn't that long ago that the National Enquirer printed that Michael Douglas only had a few months to live. They couldn't have been more wrong. A rapist has as much right to feel proud of their profession as the people working for that crappy tabloid do. Both are pure scum.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The National Enquirer is pure scum. I saw those pictures and while they may be real, it is retarded for them to have a doctor predict how much longer he has, just based on looking at the pictures. It wasn't that long ago that the National Enquirer printed that Michael Douglas only had a few months to live. They couldn't have been more wrong. A rapist has as much right to feel proud of their profession as the people working for that crappy tabloid do. Both are pure scum.

I totally agree! Thanks for your post! National Enquirer is a National Shame, which unfortunately is not limited to the USA!!!

The above quote, I suspect, represents how most people feel about this!!! The sad part is that someone is buying such publications, which keeps them in business!!! How can National Enquirer folks (not the readers!) live with themselves???!!! Their readers are of course caught in the Gossip Trap, like junkies, hooked on that kind of Gossip Fix... I wish them all a speedy recovery...

Of course, another suspect is that that at least some of Apple, Steve etc rumor articles etc. might just another way of AAPL Stock Price Manipulation... I'm not a big fan of Conspiracy Theories, but, given how much $$ there is involved, it's quite plausible, I think...

Meanwhile, Apple fans or not, the world has a lot to be thankful for as far as Apple, and thus Steve Jobs! Some will admit to that, some won't... It's impossible to please everyone, I guess! And there will always be jealous people!!!

It'd be also great if All Tech Media did a lot better job on the Hype-Click Bait front...! But, I understand that Clicks, Traffic is a $eductive thing... Such $eduction is not far away from the $eduction that the National Enquirer owners could claim... And let's not forget their "cousins" during the "lost" iPhone 4...
    • What ever happened in that case?

• Did anyone go to jail?

• Were there some heavy fines paid?

• Was that swept under the rug, so not to distract from otherwise Apple's Sunny PR?

In retrospect, it was a sad moment in Apple's history... It felt like a low blow, blackmail, pr stunt... I am still angry at those clowns who caused all that noise, in their Zeal for Clicks.... But then, most peopler are too worn out with that episode that it's not even worse rehashing... Still, it'd be nice to get the Answers to that list of Qs...

Anyway.... I join all those who wish Steve Jobs and Apple well...
  • Reply 5 of 58
    This is sick. How about the paparazzi leave him alone while he's trying to get treatment. They're below human.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite being on medical leave, Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs attended the meeting with President Obama he was invited to as Silicon Valley leader.

This lead-in made my head hurt.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

The National Enquirer is pure scum. I saw those pictures and while they may be real, it is retarded for them to have a doctor predict how much longer he has, just based on looking at the pictures.

Actually, doctors should be "handing out" diagnoses at all. Ever. With anyone.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    What the hell did Yahoo have to contribute at that meeting?

They're been pretty irrelevant for quite a while now.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Quote:

The National Enquirer is pure scum. I saw those pictures and while they may be real, it is retarded for them to have a doctor predict how much longer he has, just based on looking at the pictures.

That's pretty retarded and anyway, Steve isn't thinner in these pictures than he was in October, at the "Back to the Mac" event.

So following this "doctor" judgement, Steve was supposed to die in November.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    This does seem like very good news in that it means he was physically able to participate in the meeting.

It makes me wonder, though -- if Jobs believed that he had six weeks to live, how would he spend that time?

My guess is that Jobs would try to continue doing many of the things that he normally does anyway. He seems like someone who is pretty focused on making sure that the things he's doing on a daily basis are the things that he cares most about and give him the greatest satisfaction. So I don't think he would suddenly change his priorities and shift to doing something different. I think the only reason he would change his activities would be physical constraints that prevent him from doing what he wants to do.

I must say -- I have actively tried to follow the advice Steve Jobs gave in his Stanford commencement speech. I was doing that to a great extent before he gave the speech, but after I saw that speech I redoubled my efforts. Focusing on what truly makes you happy in your day-to-day life (not on other people's expectations) is the only way to live, so far as I'm concerned. And while that may seem obvious, I'm surprised by how many people end up NOT doing that -- I'd say it's in the ballpark of 80-90%.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    Thank goodness, i've heard enough negative information about Steve and just hopes he gets better. About the meeting i hope they will take whatever advice he gave and run with it. G-D bless you Steve, get well.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Let's find these paparazzi, beat them with sticks, kick them, drag them through the dirt a few times, then we'll send those pictures to other trash rag magazines, and ask them to tell us, how long they think these folks will live, or keep doing what their doing.

I understand that we all need to make a living and all, but there really should be some moral guide lines that even they should have to follow.

Skip
  • Reply 13 of 58
    I believe this is Steve Jobs, beyond Obama's left shoulder, at Thursdays function.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image..._obamazuck.jpg
  • Reply 14 of 58
    What is Eric Schmidt doing there? He's been exiled out into the salt fields. What a jackass.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomac View Post

I believe this is Steve Jobs, beyond Obama's left shoulder, at Thursdays function.

I think you might be right... which speaks to the power of the human brain regarding pattern recognition. I wonder if a computer would have been able to id that as Jobs...
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomac View Post

He does look a little thinner....
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

He does look a little thinner....

I'll take that as sarcasm. If not, that is pure speculation. I wonder if the White House photag was the only one allowed to take pictures inside the event, and if he was told not to include Mr. Jobs.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

It's crazy to think that with everyone in that room I bet nearly ALL were really interested/curious in Steve[

Why would you think this? Do you also believe everyone there has an auto-renew subscription to National Enquirer?

Quote:

how he is, if he'd show up, etc.

Only because he is CEO of the 2nd largest company and a person who makes significant changes in the industry.

Why else would they interested/curious if he would show up?
  • Reply 19 of 58
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EverNoticeThat View Post

Thank goodness, i've heard enough negative information about Steve and just hopes he gets better. About the meeting i hope they will take whatever advice he gave and run with it. G-D bless you Steve, get well.

If this was Obama's meeting, I would hope that the attendees take whatever advice he had to offer and run AWAY from it. I'm sure this was an opportunity for Obama to disparage the companies for sitting on billions in cash reserves. It would be nice if Obama would take some advice from these industry leaders and get off the back of US businesses.

Now back to the more general feel of this thread. Here's hoping to a fully recovery for Steve.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Actually, doctors should be "handing out" diagnoses at all. Ever. With anyone.

I'm guessing you accidentally missed the 'not' out.