First-gen iPad 'deleted' from Best Buy as Apple's imminent iPad 2 launch looms

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

I think your statement is actually more profound than you realize...there is a very good thesis in there somewhere. It seems society has in recent years begun to side with these tech companies the way people identify with team sport rivalry. I wonder what exactly has caused this and in what direction it will steer social evolution. I'm currently writing a scifi novel set 30 years in the future that involves the effects of technology on society and this gives me some new ideas, thank you.

Perhaps it has to do with a simple phenomenon. When buying "apple" stuff, consumers make a choice, and when they buy a computer from apple they are making a somewhat bold choice, towards what they do not know entirely. Sometimes it is a huge investment, not only of money but also of time and patience. This applies to anything like Xbox and PS3, etc.

And then people have to justify emotionally their investment. They feel great about their product, and if they do, they'll try to make everyone around feel the same way towards your gadgets. This has evolutionary principles in it: if more people buy the kind of stuff you buy, the better for you in the long term, for the company from which you bought is more successful, has more money, develops better for you, in a kind of a feedback loop.

If however you buy something that is a flop, you are dead on the water, with a "dead on arrival" product in your hands, and with good chance that there will be no 3rd party investment on it, nor even by the same company from which you bougth the thing!

The iPhone / iPod is a good example: the more successful it is, the better the app ecossystem becomes, etc.

So our irrational behavior, that is pretty much based upon tribal traditions in our reptilian brain or somewhere near it, is not that much irrational, considering these larger issues.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That's "Whirlpool" and "Maytag". While I can understand folks not able to properly spell all the new technobabble words that come out every day, to do that on household appliances is just unnacceptable!

Okay, but just for the record, unacceptable is spelled with one 'n' ...
  • Reply 43 of 49
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here is the bottom line: This logic points to Apple making the key feature of the iPad 2 its price, specifically a $100 price cut. The iPad 2 could start at $399 and range up to $699 for versions with more storage or 3G or 4G modems.

I doubt Apple will lower the price for the iPad 2.

For starters, there really is not any price competition at the current time. They are better off just taking the extra margin.

And I assume they want to add a "retina display" as soon as possible, maybe as early as this fall. That display will be expensive and Apple would then need to turn around and raise their prices. Better to leave them where they are now.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

True, but maybe I'm seeing it as slightly more complex than simple brand loyalty.

You don't know many car buffs then. It was about engines, reliability, innovative styling and more. Went way beyond simple brand loyalty.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That's "Whirlpool" and "Maytag". While I can understand folks not able to properly spell all the new technobabble words that come out every day, to do that on household appliances is just unnacceptable!

That would be a typo. I will assume your "unnacceptable" was also one.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

This is interesting because I obviously think Apple will still sell the iPad v1 at a slightly discounted price. But when you think about it, it's possible that would not want to do this.

Apple will discount the version one models to sell them out. They might perhaps keep the 16 gb wifi for schools and such, not unlike having the 8gb 3gs still on the market. but that's likely all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

While I do think there will be a new iPad 2 announced tomorrow, I don't think it will be readily available for sale that same day...unless the macbook pro pallets also contained new iPads.

Or since they already had the big 'new product' launch last year they could do it as online sales start in the afternoon, units are shipping to the store, go to X site to reserve yours and you will get an email when it has arrived. thus avoiding lines if they push it that you must reserve to get one for the upcoming days. And they could pace out the notices to say 100 a day or whatever each store can handle. Or they could do like Verizon and have the online orders start tomorrow afternoon but hold off on the in store for a few days. That way the upgraders will hopefully go ahead and just have it shipped.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Just decided to check Amazon (both .com and .co.uk) and both sites seem to have limited supplies.

In fact they (at least on the UK site) only seem to have the 3G model. They also seem to have adjusted the description of the products.

EDIT: The Wifi models are avliable, but in limited numbers (<10) and only from 3rd parties - not amazon directly.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Apple store is currently down. Expecting that iPad 2 update in a couple of hours
  • Reply 49 of 49
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

That would be a typo. I will assume your "unnacceptable" was also one.

Otherwise known as lack of proofreading.