First-gen iPad 'deleted' from Best Buy as Apple's imminent iPad 2 launch looms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Then again Apple Stud is a oxymoron so that could be the start of the problem.

Good one, ExtremeSkater...narley!
  • Reply 22 of 49
    I think Apple has got it figured out and will offer it the same day. Apple seems to have the manufacturing, delivery systems and retail stores as finely tuned as their design departments.

The iPhone is different because it needs approval from FCC which takes time and is more susceptible to leaks .

Also, I don't think they will keep the iPad1 in the lineup like they have done with the iPhone 3Gs.

But I've been wrong before!

Best

PS. It would be nice to find out tomorrow about their intentions with MobileMe. Perhaps they will introduce something along with the iPad2.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Good one, ExtremeSkater...narley!

Hey I hear Toyota is going to beat Honda to a new hybrid. Might want to get over there. By they way I think narley was like a 1980's term.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I've posted this to other threads, but it applies here, too...

Here's an interesting article:

Quote:

When you go from planning under 10 million units to 60 million, you can negotiate much better manufacturing prices. Components can also be optimized for cost, to a different degree. Apple is pre-paying for critical parts, such as memory and displays, taking risk out of the contract manufacturers, which pressures the price down. This probably means that despite some minor hardware bumps (camera, RAM), Apple could remove close to $100 in cost from each iPad.

Here is the bottom line: This logic points to Apple making the key feature of the iPad 2 its price, specifically a $100 price cut. The iPad 2 could start at $399 and range up to $699 for versions with more storage or 3G or 4G modems.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stor...FREE&cm_ite=NA

This gives some interesting possibilities, vis a vis iPad 1 and iPad 2 concurrent offering and pricing.

Let's say:

-- the iPad 2 has a new A5 SOC/Package that includes CPU and GPU (at least)

-- Apple plans on using these in iPad 2, then iPhone 5... AppleTV, iPod Touch

-- in CY 2011 Apple plans to build over 200 million iDevices containing the A5

-- in CY 2011 Apple plans to build over 60 million iPads

It could just be that the economies of scale make it significantly less expensive to manufacture the iPad 2 than to continue manufacturing the iPad 1.

Since the iPad is not bound to a carrier subsidy, there is no real need to offer last-year's model.

Then, there is this interesting counter argument -- that offering an option to buy last-year's model -- actually, drives sales of the new model.

http://www.asymco.com/2010/10/07/the...is-iphone-n-1/

• Reply 25 of 49
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

But that's not how Apple does business.

International customers get the same thing as U.S. consumers. While they may have to wait (or pay more), they aren't marketed older, inferior product. Apple gets over 60% of its revenue from international markets. It is not in their best interest to treat the rest of the world like second-class citizens.

Supply constraints often dictate a staggered worldwide rollout, but Apple doesn't dumb down their offerings to the rest of the world.

The only exception I know was a temporary removal of WiFi from an iPhone for China due to local regulations (that restriction was eventually removed).

All I am saying is that if the US gets v2 next week and China doesnt get it till August that Apple will continue to sell v1 in China and may stop v1 sales in the US. China (as an example) may even see a price reduction in the mean time. I'm not saying International countries will get an inferior product, but rather v1 surplus can still be sold abroad while they wait for v2. I don't think thats treating them poorly, actually I think it would be much worse to stop v1 sales abroad and not give them any options while they wait. Don't you?
  • Reply 26 of 49
    tomsoptomsop Posts: 6member
    I want an Ipad 2 but I feel there needs to be an improvement in display quality over the Ipad 1. I think after retina display technology - I would be dispappointed if there is no improvement in display quality. It is hard to give an opinion when I skipped buying the original model but the main reasons I passed on the Ipad is I did not like the form factor and then after I got the Iphone 4, I saw a difference in screen quality such that I want my Ipad to have a better screen than the current model. I have spent some time with an Ipad and the speed or memory/capacity issues don't stand out to me as much as form factor and display.

We'll see tomorrow and I hope Apple gives me a reason to buy but I will wait if I have to - I know the other tablets don't have an advantage over apple when it comes to display quality but I will probably want to consider upgrading to an Iphone 5 and skip the Ipad if they offer a slightly bigger screen on the Iphone 5. To me, the most important feature is display quality so I am slightly concerned over recent rumors that display quality won't be updated with Ipad2.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Hey I hear Toyota is going to beat Honda to a new hybrid. Might want to get over there. By they way I think narley was like a 1980's term.

It is a surfer term and has a g at the beginning "gnarley". Dates to at least the 70s, probably earlier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomsop View Post

I want an Ipad 2 but I feel there needs to be an improvement in display quality over the Ipad 1. I think after retina display technology - I would be dispappointed if there is no improvement in display quality. It is hard to give an opinion when I skipped buying the original model but the main reasons I passed on the Ipad is I did not like the form factor and then after I got the Iphone 4, I saw a difference in screen quality such that I want my Ipad to have a better screen than the current model. I have spent some time with an Ipad and the speed or memory/capacity issues don't stand out to me as much as form factor and display.

To achieve anything close to Retina levels on the iPad, they would have to double the resolution in each direction. Apple can't get screens w/that kind of pixel density in any kind of quantity/price that is feasible. Not currently at least. Maybe some of that 3.9B they are looking at investing in something is them teaming w/a display company to produce a plant that does nothing but produce those high density screens for them for a later product.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:

Dude! Apple is our team and we root and fight for Apple, just like many people do for their favorite NBA team, Soccer team, artist.

If you lose your job today, your favorite singer will not come to your aid. Apple is the same to us, we enjoy seeing our home team kick ass with their pretty and functional iDevices.

So yes, I too want the iPad2 released very soon, so that RIM, HP, Motorola and Google can feel the pain.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    all i'm saying is, if they drop the price on this thing tomorrow, there's gonna be a lot of sweaty foreheads around the industry.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    I'd be very surprised if they drop the price tomorrow. In spite of the supposed "competition" as far as tablets the iPad is the only game in town. The others are poor copies so far.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It could just be that the economies of scale make it significantly less expensive to manufacture the iPad 2 than to continue manufacturing the iPad 1.

Since the iPad is not bound to a carrier subsidy, there is no real need to offer last-year's model.

This is a very interesting theory and there could be some truth to it, but I still think Apple will keep the 500-700 range for the iPad. If there is a $100 price drop, it will be on leftover stock of all prior iPad models and a $100 across the board price drop for all territories where Apple is still selling the original iPad. Possibly a price drop for the 3G models as there is no way a 3G antenna costs $129. Making the price bump $50 would probably entice many more people to go with the 3G versions. Since 50 is a lot less than 129. That cost difference pays for your keyboard dock if you like.

If they maintain current international pricing with people knowing that it will be just a few more months till the iPad 2 comes out, they will stop buying in droves. Add in a $100 discount, plus any extra reduction on refurb units, and plenty of people will still decide to take an original iPad before the iPad 2 is released in their country.

Apple's economy of scale will be completely sick tho. If we get a new processor/gpu tomorrow, expect that to end up in the new iPhone. If we don't, expect whatever shows up in the iPhone to appear in a fall iPad, if that is the route Apple is going. Apple can't wait until next spring to upgrade the cpu/gpu on the iPad.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Dude! Apple is our team and we root and fight for Apple, just like many people do for their favorite NBA team, Soccer team, artist.

If you lose your job today, your favorite singer will not come to your aid. Apple is the same to us, we enjoy seeing our home team kick ass with their pretty and functional iDevices.

So yes, I too want the iPad2 released very soon, so that RIM, HP, Motorola and Google can feel the pain.

I am a fan of all good technology. The iPad 2 is going to be a small step forward it isn't going to cause any pain to anyone.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

It is a surfer term and has a g at the beginning "gnarley". Dates to at least the 70s, probably earlier.

Interesting that AppleStud would know it then seeing I was guessing based on his posts he was around 12 years old.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

I think your statement is actually more profound than you realize...there is a very good thesis in there somewhere. It seems society has in recent years begun to side with these tech companies the way people identify with team sport rivalry. I wonder what exactly has caused this and in what direction it will steer social evolution. I'm currently writing a scifi novel set 30 years in the future that involves the effects of technology on society and this gives me some new ideas, thank you.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    I think Apple will sit on its laurels, state that the iPad was such a success because it is perfect, and that there is no need to update it since despite having many critics, more than 15 million people did not find the lack of a USB port, a camera or a compact flash slot to be a dealbreaker.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

I think your statement is actually more profound than you realize...there is a very good thesis in there somewhere. It seems society has in recent years begun to side with these tech companies the way people identify with team sport rivalry. I wonder what exactly has caused this and in what direction it will steer social evolution. I'm currently writing a scifi novel set 30 years in the future that involves the effects of technology on society and this gives me some new ideas, thank you.

I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC commercial is what started it all.... or was it just a symptom....
  • Reply 37 of 49
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

Far from a new phenomenon. 50 years ago people were "Ford families" or "Chevy families" or whatever brand their parents latched onto. Same held true for appliances and all sorts of things. If you had a positive experience once, you continued down that predetermined path.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Do you get excited when Wirlpool puts out a better washer or dryer then Matag?

That's "Whirlpool" and "Maytag". While I can understand folks not able to properly spell all the new technobabble words that come out every day, to do that on household appliances is just unnacceptable!
  • Reply 39 of 49
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

Far from a new phenomenon. 50 years ago people were "Ford families" or "Chevy families" or whatever brand their parents latched onto. Same held true for appliances and all sorts of things. If you had a positive experience once, you continued down that predetermined path.

True, but maybe I'm seeing it as slightly more complex than simple brand loyalty.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Do you get excited when Wirlpool puts out a better washer or dryer then Matag?

You may not have realized the inadvertent humor in this particular sentence, since Whirlpool acquired Maytag almost five years ago. Does a dog chase its tail?