Apple confirms iPad 2 on track for March 25 international launch

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Despite continued sellouts of the iPad 2 in the U.S., an Apple spokesperson has confirmed that the international launch of the touchscreen tablet will proceed as planned on Friday, March 25, a new report claims.

"Everything that is on [Apple's U.K.] website still holds true; the website says 25 March and that's when it'll be," an Apple spokesperson told TechRadar.com earlier this week.

Rumors that Apple would delay the international launch of the iPad 2 were fueled last week by immediate sellouts of new shipments of the device and long lines that continued in the week after launch. Last week, analyst Brian White of Ticonderoga Securities questioned whether Apple would be able to produce enough iPad 2 units to launch in more than two dozen countries this Friday after checks to several key Apple Stores.

Also stoking speculation of iPad 2 delays were reports of supply chain disruption caused by a massive earthquake in Japan that took place earlier this month. Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster told investors last week that the production status from Apple's Japanese-based component suppliers remained unclear, with many partners unable to accurately quantify the extent of their damage.

Late last week, a report from iSuppli identified five components in the Pad 2 that are likely sourced from Japan: NAND flash from Toshiba Corp., DRAM made by Elphida Memory Inc., an electronic compass from AKM Semiconductor, a touchscreen overlay glass likely from Asahi Glass Co. and a system battery from Apple Japan. The report noted that while some of the suppliers' facilities were undamaged, "delivery of components from all of these companies is likely to be impacted at least to some degree by logistical issues now plaguing most Japanese industries in the quake zone."

Apple announced last week that it is delaying the launch of the iPad 2 in Japan "while the country and [Apple's] teams focus on recovering from the recent disaster."

The iPad 2 is scheduled to go on sale March 25 in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K. According to Apple, launch dates and pricing for further international launches will be announced at a later date.

Last year, overwhelming initial demand for the original iPad forced Apple to delay the first-generation tablet's international launch by a month. The company went on to sell 15 million iPads from April to December 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I still can't believe that there isn't pricing available on these yet.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    I paid my deposit yesterday to secure a 64Gig Wi-Fi model for Friday's Australia launch, when I asked the girl behind the counter, how much will it be all totaled, she couldn't tell me. Not impressed considering it is an Authorised Apple Centre (not an official Apple store).
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Ridiculous. I ordered online in the first 20 minutes of availability and it still hasn't shipped yet. How about filling orders taken in the first 20 minutes before launching internationally???
  • Reply 4 of 24
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ridiculous. I ordered online in the first 20 minutes of availability and it still hasn't shipped yet. How about filling orders taken in the first 20 minutes before launching internationally???

They did this with the iPad 1 also if you recall. I think they would prefer to get a toehold in all of their markets than follow a strict first-come first-served order.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnsey_00 View Post

I paid my deposit yesterday to secure a 64Gig Wi-Fi model for Friday's Australia launch, when I asked the girl behind the counter, how much will it be all totaled, she couldn't tell me. Not impressed considering it is an Authorised Apple Centre (not an official Apple store).

Whereabouts? I'm wondering how much stock Myer will be getting on the 25th. I've got $200 store credit left over from christmas burning a hole in my pocket but given the international shortage not getting one in the first five seconds they're available is more or less equivalent to not getting one at all. Might be tempted to go somewhere else that will accept a deposit to secure a launch day model.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Because even though you may believe it, American's are not the most important people in the world.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Like I stated in another thread, the roll out is targeted to all nations on their list with a preset amount and then the back orders for those countries are stamped out rapidly to cover after the initial rush and those who didn't get their order filled so rapidly.

It would be short-sighted of Apple to focus solely on just the USA.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Also of note, the Red Leather smart cover is Product[Red] meaning Apple Store or Apple Online only, not available at resellers like Myer, etc.

I have a friend... He's flying to Perth for the Friday launch if all goes well. I think I've given in... I want an iPad 2 with Red Leather smart cover. Damn you Apple!!!! How do you keep doing this???!!!
  • Reply 9 of 24
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    What they really need is flexible manufacturing/assembly lines capable of switching between products as demand requires.

In the short term they should limit retail sales to one per person and you should have to show local/national proof of address to stop the scalpers.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Whereabouts? I'm wondering how much stock Myer will be getting on the 25th. I've got $200 store credit left over from christmas burning a hole in my pocket but given the international shortage not getting one in the first five seconds they're available is more or less equivalent to not getting one at all. Might be tempted to go somewhere else that will accept a deposit to secure a launch day model.

What are the official Australian Apple Stores saying? Any news from them? Of course resellers won't have first-hand knowledge, I do some work for one here in Asia. We're at the bottom of Apple's priorities....
  • Reply 11 of 24
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n1954679 View Post

Because even though you may believe it, American's are not the most important people in the world.

Come on, man. Really? You move from his geeking out about not getting a product to, "I think the people in my country are the most important people in the world?" So...people from other countries never get upset about ordering a product and not getting it? Wow...must have the love of Jesus over there.

Here are the other American stereotypes, in case you are looking for more material:

fat

stupid

abrasive

selfish

I'm eager for more jokes from non-Americans categorizing people by their nationality. Honestly, it's really new to me. Give me more.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Come on, man. Really? You move from his geeking out about not getting a product to, "I think the people in my country are the most important people in the world?" So...people from other countries never get upset about ordering a product and not getting it? Wow...must have the love of Jesus over there.

Here are the other American stereotypes, in case you are looking for more material:

fat

stupid

abrasive

selfish

I'm eager for more jokes from non-Americans categorizing people by their nationality. Honestly, it's really new to me. Give me more.

Australians can be brash and too straightforward.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Australians can be brash and too straightforward.

and fatter than americans, to boot.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnsey_00 View Post

How about:

Here's the pricing. Don't ask where I got this because I'm unable to reveal. Launch will be this Friday from 5PM (same time as US launch).

MC769X/A\t iPad 2 Black 16GB ? Wi-Fi\t $579.00

MC773X/A\t iPad 2 Black 16GB ? Wi-Fi + 3G\t$729.00

MC770X/A\t iPad 2 Black 32GB ? Wi-Fi\t $689.00

MC774X/A\t iPad 2 Black 32GB ? Wi-Fi + 3G\t$839.00

MC916X/A\t iPad 2 Black 64GB ? Wi-Fi\t $799.00

MC775X/A\t iPad 2 Black 64GB ? Wi-Fi + 3G\t$949.00

MC979X/A\t iPad 2 White 16GB ? Wi-Fi\t $579.00

MC982X/A\t iPad 2 White 16GB ? Wi-Fi + 3G\t$729.00

MC980X/A\t iPad 2 White 32GB ? Wi-Fi\t $689.00

MC983X/A\t iPad 2 White 32GB ? Wi-Fi + 3G\t$839.00

MC981X/A\t iPad 2 White 64GB ? Wi-Fi\t $799.00

MC984X/A\t iPad 2 White 64GB ? Wi-Fi + 3G\t$949.00

MC947ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover ? Leather Black\t$79.00

MC952ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover ? Leather Cream\t$79.00

MC949ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover ? Leather Navy\t$79.00

MC948ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover ? Leather Tan\t $79.00

MC942ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover ? Polyurethane Blue\t $45.00

MC944ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover ? Polyurethane Green\t$45.00

MC939ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover ? Polyurethane Grey\t $45.00

MC945ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover ? Polyurethane Orange\t$45.00

MC941ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover ? Polyurethane Pink\t $45.00

MC953ZM/A\t Digital AV Adapter\t$45.00

from http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1663631
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

and fatter than americans, to boot.

• Reply 16 of 24
    F**ing nice one mate... Nearly forgot. It's THIS FRIDAY! NOT NEXT! 5pm on Friday means people will have to wait in line early morning, through the night, then the whole day... Well, at least at the Sydney flagship store that's what I reckon they'll be doing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

How about:

Here's the pricing. Don't ask where I got this because I'm unable to reveal. Launch will be this Friday from 5PM (same time as US launch).

MC769X/A\t iPad 2 Black 16GB – Wi-Fi\t $579.00

MC773X/A\t iPad 2 Black 16GB – Wi-Fi + 3G\t$729.00

MC770X/A\t iPad 2 Black 32GB – Wi-Fi\t $689.00

MC774X/A\t iPad 2 Black 32GB – Wi-Fi + 3G\t$839.00

MC916X/A\t iPad 2 Black 64GB – Wi-Fi\t $799.00

MC775X/A\t iPad 2 Black 64GB – Wi-Fi + 3G\t$949.00

MC979X/A\t iPad 2 White 16GB – Wi-Fi\t $579.00

MC982X/A\t iPad 2 White 16GB – Wi-Fi + 3G\t$729.00

MC980X/A\t iPad 2 White 32GB – Wi-Fi\t $689.00

MC983X/A\t iPad 2 White 32GB – Wi-Fi + 3G\t$839.00

MC981X/A\t iPad 2 White 64GB – Wi-Fi\t $799.00

MC984X/A\t iPad 2 White 64GB – Wi-Fi + 3G\t$949.00

MC947ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover – Leather Black\t$79.00

MC952ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover – Leather Cream\t$79.00

MC949ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover – Leather Navy\t$79.00

MC948ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover – Leather Tan\t $79.00

MC942ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover – Polyurethane Blue\t $45.00

MC944ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover – Polyurethane Green\t$45.00

MC939ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover – Polyurethane Grey\t $45.00

MC945ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover – Polyurethane Orange\t$45.00

MC941ZM/A\t iPad 2 Smart Cover – Polyurethane Pink\t $45.00

MC953ZM/A\t Digital AV Adapter\t$45.00

from http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1663631

• Reply 17 of 24
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What are the official Australian Apple Stores saying? Any news from them? Of course resellers won't have first-hand knowledge, I do some work for one here in Asia. We're at the bottom of Apple's priorities....

Apple Australia website still mentions the 25th. Housemate works for an Australian telco. Said they are in the final stages of preparing marketing material and all systems are go for a Friday launch.

A MacTalk forum user called the Apple Store in the CBD and was allegedly told to expect an 8AM opening launch (there was conflicting information about a 5PM local launch which has never happened here before).
  • Reply 18 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I hope that all of international launches have extremely long lines and are plagued by gangs of ruthless scalpers and misfits too, just like in the US. That would only be fair.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Those Whirlpool forumers are pretty on-the-ball when it comes to things Apple and Australia.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Red covers will be sold online only.

F********K

I have an Australian credit card but gotta change my billing address back to Australia.

AHHHRHRHFHHGHGHG

This must only be a sliver of what you USA-ians have been feeling LOLLOLOLOLOL

Ah I just want to give up. Why do I want an iPad 2 again? Can somebody please give me a reason not to get one? The cameras are shit, that's for sure.

GAH