Apple confirms iPad 2 on track for March 25 international launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I hope that all of international launches have extremely long lines and are plagued by gangs of ruthless scalpers and misfits too, just like in the US. That would only be fair.

The lines will be long but I suspect stock will be tiny. I think Aussies should avoid mainstream and sus out smaller department stores rather than flagships if you want to avoid the wankery and actually get a device.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

What they really need is flexible manufacturing/assembly lines capable of switching between products as demand requires.

In the short term they should limit retail sales to one per person and you should have to show local/national proof of address to stop the scalpers.

What product should they underproduce? If we assume Apple has been forthcoming during those conference calls, they could not meet the demand for the iPhone and iPads. The main manufacturer has already announced new factories in another city altogether last year to be completed later this year. And, there is a rumor to explore Brazil.

If you are familiar with assembly lines and quality control testing, the iPhone and the iPad components and assembly system are not exactly the same.

What people forget is that companies must set a rolling target potential production. And, that production target must be met within a certain period irregardless of initial demand on launch and holiday season heightened demand each year.

Surge and slowdown similarly disrupts manpower utilization as well as the raw materials flow dynamics.

CGC
  • Reply 23 of 24
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

What product should they underproduce? If we assume Apple has been forthcoming during those conference calls, they could not meet the demand for the iPhone and iPads. The main manufacturer has already announced new factories in another city altogether last year to be completed later this year. And, there is a rumor to explore Brazil.

If you are familiar with assembly lines and quality control testing, the iPhone and the iPad components and assembly system are not exactly the same.

What people forget is that companies must set a rolling target potential production. And, that production target must be met within a certain period irregardless of initial demand on launch and holiday season heightened demand each year.

Surge and slowdown similarly disrupts manpower utilization as well as the raw materials flow dynamics.

CGC

People willing to wait in long lines for hours on end for a constrained product aren't likely to care about the reality of logistics. it is strictly a supply and demand scenario and they normally believe that their waiting in long lines for hours, entitles them to DEMAND the product at the expense of all others, regardless of the logistics involved.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

I'm eager for more jokes from non-Americans categorizing people by their nationality. Honestly, it's really new to me. Give me more.

hehe...