Apple suppliers say iPad 3 2011 supply schedule canceled

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
According to sources within Apple's supply chain partners, Apple has canceled its supply schedule for the iPad 3 in the second half of 2011 because of production constraints for higher-resolution display panels.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Tuesday that Apple was originally set to launch the iPad 3 later this year, but has canceled orders for the second half of 2011.

"Apple's supply chain partners have recently discovered that the related figures have all already been deleted," the report noted sources as having pointed out. The Cupertino, Calif., iPad maker's supply schedule had reportedly been 1.5-2 million iPad 3 units in the third quarter and 5-6 million in the fourth quarter.

Tipsters told the publication that the yield rate of a 9.7-inch panel with a resolution of 2,048 by 1,536 may be the "major reason of the supply delay" because Apple partners Samsung Electronics and LG Display have been unable to reach adequate production levels.

"Due to iPad 3's requirements over the physical thinness, rich color support and toughness will all conflict with the panel's technology restrictions; therefore, this could cause a delay in the launch," the report said.

Rumors of the iPad 3 have been on again, off again since even before the announcement of the iPad 2. Various reports have suggested that Apple is prepping a higher-resolution iPad for release later this fall, while countering reports claim Apple will not release a new iPad this year.

In June, Bloomberg claimed that Apple has been testing an iPad with a higher resolution screen, though that report said the resolution was just "one-third higher," not the doubled 2,048 by 1,536 screen that others have said Apple will use.

In spite of the rumored delays to the iPad 3, Apple appears to be setup to continue solid sales of the iPad 2. According to Tuesday's report, Apple's suppliers remain on track to produce between 28 million to 30 million iPad 2 units in the second half of this year. Apple sold 9.25 million iPads in the June quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The iPad 3, IMO, doesn't need to come out until next year.

In fact why not just wait until an Ax processor can be designed based on the

ARM A15 core.

This is supposedly a core that's 40% than the A9 core and ideal for tablet and netbooks.

I'd rather iPad 3 be a significant jump in speed, camera quality and display. .
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Until the next rumor which says the iPad 3 will ship in September...
  • Reply 3 of 54
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Because tablets are the future of personal computing. Apple would have a complete victory in its domination of the tablet market.

Its probably an over reach to attempt to have such high resolution displays at this point. But I can understand their push for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

• Reply 4 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

In fact why not just wait until an Ax processor can be designed based on the

ARM A15 core.

This is supposedly a core that's 40% than the A9 core and ideal for tablet and netbooks.

I'd rather iPad 3 be a significant jump in speed, camera quality and display. .

With the iPad3 (hopefully) having a faster CPU/GPU, Retina Display, same quality, thinness, and durability, it will be interesting to see how Apple will top itself post-iPad3 from a hardware perspective. iOS will really have to stand out.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    How can something that wasn't ever announced be cancelled? And when has Apple ever, EVER release multiple versions of the same product within the same year other than minor spec bumps in a computer? Apple is so far ahead of the curve in performance, price, consumer adoption, developer adoption, mindshare, etc. that they don't need to rush another new version out the door. They obviously need to keep innovating, but they are not at the point where they have to panic. Releasing a Retina iPad 3 in March or April will still be the huge, shocking OMG moment Apple always goes for with new products.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Of course this is a nonsensical rumor. DigiTimes.... what's their batting average on predictions anyway? As I recall, they're about as accurate as Shaw Wu or Katy Huberty. LOL.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

How can something that wasn't ever announced be cancelled? And when has Apple ever, EVER release multiple versions of the same product within the same year other than minor spec bumps in a computer? Apple is so far ahead of the curve in performance, price, consumer adoption, developer adoption, mindshare, etc. that they don't need to rush another new version out the door. They obviously need to keep innovating, but they are not at the point where they have to panic. Releasing a Retina iPad 3 in March or April will still be the huge, shocking OMG moment Apple always goes for with new products.

Exactly. This story is a load of rubbish. There was never going to be an iPad 3 in 2011, and there won't be.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    These "iPad 3 in 2011" rumors were pure garbage, an insult really to anyone with half a brain.

A pox on the houses who propagated such ludicrous blathering.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Well, hope it doesn't run into the problems that the "White" iPhone had!

On second thought, no problem here... There are plenty of letters in the alphabet for a iPad 2a, or 2b, or 3c, or... Take that iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4S.

/

/

/
  • Reply 10 of 54
    That's a shame if true. I'm looking forward to updating my iPad to a new, higher resolution model. Very happy with everything else about it, but would really appreciate a higher res screen for reading (websites in particular).

October would have been nice, but I guess March or so is fine.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Confirming what any reasonably intelligent being knew anyway
  • Reply 12 of 54
    I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense to introduce an iPad 3 this soon after the 2 considering there are no contenders, BUT there is a part of me that thinks it would be perfect timing for an iPad Pro with a premium price.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Nobody, but nobody can convince me of a 2011 iPad 3 release.

None of these rumors have swayed me one bit.

iPad 3 will be next year.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjbruce View Post

I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense to introduce an iPad 3 this soon after the 2 considering there are no contenders, BUT there is a part of me that thinks it would be perfect timing for an iPad Pro with a premium price.

Look at it this way all that high resolution capacity is now free to be sold to the competition. In some ways it is actually easier for small companies to compete with Apple. The competition can move a couple of hundred thousand and be happy, Apple needs millions per month now. This means supplier production lines need to ramp real fast, this is no where as easy as it might sound.

I have to agree though that it would have been nice to see the high resolution machine this year. It would just put the pad even farther ahead.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Or maybe the iPad 3 was planned to be release in 2012 to begin with!
  • Reply 16 of 54
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Ridonkulous from the beginning. iOS5 alone is going to convert the iPad 2 to essentially into a 2.5 device - advancing it significantly without changing a single part - and you don't need to get ahead of your supply side and margins with a nominal 70% market share (and probably an actual 85% + effective market share).

So another linkbait story from the git-go.

A next spring release, then, again maybe more than 12 months from iPad 2's release is likely to be be the first 4G iOS Device - since Apple has more space to play with chipsets and battery capacities on the Pad than the Phone, and another six months of lead time for some chipset maker to pull it together in the right size/power/performance/cost package. Not sure of the expected net internal size and power characteristics of a possible retina display, tho'. I do know I'd hate to think it'll take 2 years to have both the higher display rez and 4G. But we'll know about that sometime early next year one supposes.

As for 128 GB, not sure how fast prices are dropping in this area, but with the emphasis on iCloud and such (including existing services like dropBox and SugarSync), on-board capacity is diminishing as a pressing priority. Apple seems to have seen this more clearly than other manufacturers with the thrust of the MBA line. So while 128 would be nice, if one can only pick two of three, 4G and a new display beat higher internal storage for sure.

Leaving whether or not the A6 CPU baked in an upcoming cake will be ready for the iPad 3. I'll vote yes, if only 'cos (IMHO) it would be weird to have it come out on the iPhone before the next iPad, making the tiny device the more able to do CPU intensive tasks than the larger one. But whether I'm blowing smoke on one or more of these, there are so many reasons - and especially my first listed - why there was NEVER going to be an iPad 3 in 2011.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Why rush out 2 models of iPad in the same year. Whatever the development cycle of the Ax processor - that should be the release schedule for the iPad. If they released now the only difference would be the display, which is important but would not cause me to upgrade, especially if I expected to wait another 6 months or less to get a the better display with new processor. But maybe that's just me.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

How can something that wasn't ever announced be cancelled?

Because projects are started well before the public even hears about them. Further it is not uncommon for dates to be changed many times related to project milestones. This is one of the reasons you never get official projections on when an item will go on sale. Many times projects will get delayed or outright cancelled. So companies like Apple refuse to say anything until the product is ready to ship.

Quote:

And when has Apple ever, EVER release multiple versions of the same product within the same year other than minor spec bumps in a computer?

Laptops, desktops & iPods
    Quote:

Apple is so far ahead of the curve in performance, price, consumer adoption, developer adoption, mindshare, etc. that they don't need to rush another new version out the door.

Actually they really aren't that far ahead. Besides from the developer standpoint the platform is still rather weak

Quote:

They obviously need to keep innovating, but they are not at the point where they have to panic. Releasing a Retina iPad 3 in March or April will still be the huge, shocking OMG moment Apple always goes for with new products.

Who said they are panicking? I really don't get this attitude, it is more a question of dominating your markets.

In any event I have to think there are probably people in Asia and maybe even at Apple laughing their collective a$$es off over these "leaks". I have a feeling that some are happening simply because somebody gets their jollies Watching the reactions.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    As everyone else has noted, there never was any intention to release an iPad 3 in this calendar year.

is there a competitor likely to come to market by Christmas that will be significantly better than the iPad 2? I think not. So why would Apple invest in a re-design for a product that it knows it will sell with ease through the Christmas season. Retooling costs money and the longer you can sell a particular model, the more value you get out of the engineering effort that goes into developing each new model. It's not clear what some publications are getting out of predicting a new iPad is imminent.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Besides from the developer standpoint the platform is still rather weak

...care to explain? As a developer who has used a multitude of technologies since the eighties, weak is not a word I would use to describe IOS!