Apple suppliers say iPad 3 2011 supply schedule canceled

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Ridonkulous from the beginning. iOS5 alone is going to convert the iPad 2 to essentially into a 2.5 device - advancing it significantly without changing a single part - and you don't need to get ahead of your supply side and margins with a nominal 70% market share (and probably an actual 85% + effective market share).

Actually no, the OS will be more demanding so that is a negative right off the bat.

In any event the only leaders that maintain their front of the pack positions are the ones that drive themselves hard. If Apple wants to keep share the have to be aggressive.

Quote:

So another linkbait story from the git-go.

Link bait how about joke bait. Somebody is probably laughing their a$$ off watching the web response.

Quote:

A next spring release, then, again maybe more than 12 months from iPad 2's release is likely to be be the first 4G iOS Device - since Apple has more space to play with chipsets and battery capacities on the Pad than the Phone, and another six months of lead time for some chipset maker to pull it together in the right size/power/performance/cost package. Not sure of the expected net internal size and power characteristics of a possible retina display, tho'. I do know I'd hate to think it'll take 2 years to have both the higher display rez and 4G. But we'll know about that sometime early next year one supposes.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. In any event I believe Apple needs another version of A5 at the very least for iPhone 5. The current A5 is just to power hungry for an iPhone. I'm still thinking we will see a split with the A series processors - one for the iPhone and another for Tablets and things like AppleTV.

Quote:

As for 128 GB, not sure how fast prices are dropping in this area, but with the emphasis on iCloud and such (including existing services like dropBox and SugarSync), on-board capacity is diminishing as a pressing priority.

Complete BS, if anything iCloud will expand the need for on board flash
    Quote:

Apple seems to have seen this more clearly than other manufacturers with the thrust of the MBA line. So while 128 would be nice, if one can only pick two of three, 4G and a new display beat higher internal storage for sure.

Actually I would rather have the internal l storage myself.

Quote:

Leaving whether or not the A6 CPU baked in an upcoming cake will be ready for the iPad 3. I'll vote yes, if only 'cos (IMHO) it would be weird to have it come out on the iPhone before the next iPad,

A better processor, at least a better GPU would be required for a high resolution iPad. However this has nothing to do with the processor needs of the iPhone.

Quote:

making the tiny device the more able to do CPU intensive tasks than the larger one. But whether I'm blowing smoke on one or more of these, there are so many reasons - and especially my first listed - why there was NEVER going to be an iPad 3 in 2011.

Well you are blowing smoke! Further no one knows what Apples plans for new hardware is. From the business stand point there are plenty of good reasons to get the HD iPad out as soon as possible.

In any event I suspect that the hysteria here is being orchestrated by people getting off on threads like this.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Apple need to speed up its release cycle, one update every 12 months won't cut it anymore.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    What a pack of chihuahuas you guys are, yapping about how you knew all along it wasn't going to happen.

Of course they are going to put out a high-res iPad as soon as they can, no matter what you rumor site experts think should be their annual release schedule, their iPad 2 sales trajectory, their competition's prospects, etc., etc.

The man said that once you've used the retina screen on the iPhone, you can't go back. That should tell you everything. There's NO TIME for stupid schedule considerations. If it can be done it will come out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. And it will be sold alongside the iPad 2.0.

This story is just as likely to be diversionary, a red herring, because the iPad HD stories were coming out at the rate of about one per week. For good reason -- it's in the works.

Stop congratulating yourselves. It's very risky to the reputation.

Edit: a couple of reasonable posts from Wizard69 and Aizmov.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    IPAD 3 never confirmed. So newest rumor is just a rumor. Most likely next IPAD will be in 2003.

And along with extra features and more cool bells and whistles the wait will be worth it.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

IPAD 3 never confirmed. So newest rumor is just a rumor. Most likely next IPAD will be in 2003.

And along with extra features and more cool bells and whistles the wait will be worth it.

" . . . bells and whistles" -- so 2003. (Sorry BUSHMAN, I couldn't resist. I'm allergic to that phrase. I hated it the first time I heard it, some time around 1990.)
  • Reply 26 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

As everyone else has noted, there never was any intention to release an iPad 3 in this calendar year.

You really can't say that, unless of course you work for Apple. My point is that there are good sound reasons for Apple to expand the iPad line up.

Quote:

is there a competitor likely to come to market by Christmas that will be significantly better than the iPad 2? I think not. So why would Apple invest in a re-design for a product that it knows it will sell with ease through the Christmas season. Retooling costs money and the longer you can sell a particular model, the more value you get out of the engineering effort that goes into developing each new model. It's not clear what some publications are getting out of predicting a new iPad is imminent.

You do realize that businesses have plans don't you? Here is a quick hypothetical plan.
    1. Apple wants to actually be successful with the iCloud launch and part of that success depends upon low cost hardware.

2. So the current iPad becomes the low end model. Possibly at a significantly reduced price.

3. IPad three debuts to support iCloud as a high end tablet connection.

The success of iCloud is not a given, but I suspect one key component will be access from lower cost devices to drive wide spread adoption. However I believe many will see a higher end device as a better fit for their needs. In other words the current iPad becomes a low cost or corporate device. So iPad 3 could have been planned to help drive the iCloud strategy. The point is what Apple is actually thinking is not often obvious to the outside world and there are so many possibilities we could have a whole thread just guessing at stradegys.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Stop congratulating yourselves.

No.

Yay for me.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

That's a shame if true. I'm looking forward to updating my iPad to a new, higher resolution model. Very happy with everything else about it, but would really appreciate a higher res screen for reading (websites in particular).

October would have been nice, but I guess March or so is fine.

I just don't understand why pixel doubling an iPhone app doesn't use retina graphics and text.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Until the next rumor which says the iPad 3 will ship in September...

It will be announced on August 23rd/11 to be shipped on September 3rd/11.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

No.

Yay for me.

• Reply 31 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Anybody dreaming about a new iPad model with a retina display in 2011 should probably put down their crack pipe for two minutes and then step outside for a brief moment to get some much needed fresh air.

It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that there most likely won't be an iPad3 with a retina display coming this year.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I think the flow and ebb of will-it or will-it-not rumours stem from Apple trying to see how they can roll it out, and Apple pushing for suppliers to deliver the display panels.

I think for Apple it was a, "if we can do it, let's do it and blow out the holiday quarter and decimate all crapblets that stand feebly in our way".

But in general it really looks like the tech, production QA and processes aren't just there yet for these super-high-res 10" IPS screens. Japan being in a funk and not being able to manage themselves out of a paper bag certainly does not help.

Quote:

Confirming what any reasonably intelligent being knew anyway

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Nobody, but nobody can convince me of a 2011 iPad 3 release.

None of these rumors have swayed me one bit.

iPad 3 will be next year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

That's a shame if true. I'm looking forward to updating my iPad to a new, higher resolution model. Very happy with everything else about it, but would really appreciate a higher res screen for reading (websites in particular).

October would have been nice, but I guess March or so is fine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

These "iPad 3 in 2011" rumors were pure garbage, an insult really to anyone with half a brain.

A pox on the houses who propagated such ludicrous blathering.

• Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I just don't understand why pixel doubling an iPhone app doesn't use retina graphics and text.

There's an app for that... RetinaPad $2.99 from Cydia.

But yeah, why it's not enabled by default is very strange.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

No.

Yay for me.

• Reply 35 of 54
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Just like other bullshit rumours, rather than admit that you were full of shit you say it was cancelled.

• Reply 36 of 54
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    So, rumour states that new device is round the corner, no device appears, so another rumour is invented explaining why.

12 month iPad product cycle. Any less is commercial suicide. Apple know this, why don't the creators of these BS rumours?
  • Reply 37 of 54
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Of course this is a nonsensical rumor. DigiTimes.... what's their batting average on predictions anyway? As I recall, they're about as accurate as Shaw Wu or Katy Huberty. LOL.

So, somewhat higher than a Gene Munster prediction, then.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    "Apple's supply chain partners "

I prefer suppliers. Apple seem to have far too many quickie divorces for my liking.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm just waiting for everyone who said that the iPad 3 could come out in 2011 to chime in and tell us why this rumor doesn't preclude the iPad 3 coming out in 2011.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You really can't say that, unless of course you work for Apple. My point is that there are good sound reasons for Apple to expand the iPad line up.

You do realize that businesses have plans don't you? Here is a quick hypothetical plan.
    1. Apple wants to actually be successful with the iCloud launch and part of that success depends upon low cost hardware.

2. So the current iPad becomes the low end model. Possibly at a significantly reduced price.

3. IPad three debuts to support iCloud as a high end tablet connection.

The success of iCloud is not a given, but I suspect one key component will be access from lower cost devices to drive wide spread adoption. However I believe many will see a higher end device as a better fit for their needs. In other words the current iPad becomes a low cost or corporate device. So iPad 3 could have been planned to help drive the iCloud strategy. The point is what Apple is actually thinking is not often obvious to the outside world and there are so many possibilities we could have a whole thread just guessing at stradegys.

If Apple can't build iPads fast enough, please explain the need for a price drop to get more folks interested in buying one. Apple has never been and never will be about putting out ridiculously inexpensive products. In all the time that laptops nosedived down into the ridiculously cheap $300 range, Apple never went there.

Apple has no intention, I suspect, of pursuing the absolute bottom end of the tablet market. That's where all the others are headed as they did with the MP3 market. By protecting the image of Apple as a manufacturer of quality products, Apple ensures future success. This is not to suggest that Apple would never adjust pricing but consider that there is a stability to Apple pricing that is not so evident with the competition. The iPod line has been hovering in the same range for years. Ditto Apple's laptops. Ditto the Mac Mini.

When Apple finds a price point that works, it tends to alter specs instead of price. The Air replaces the Macbook, that sort of thing. I would have to say that in the case of the $500 tablet price point Apple has it right. Sure competitors are starting to slash prices but that's only going to make it worse for them because if someone buys a tablet from those other guys everybody will know that said consumer was too cheap to go for the real thing, i.e. an iPad.

As well, it's not likely that Apple will lower the price of the iPad to the point where it will compete with the iPod products.

If I think that we will not see a rush to replace the current, wildly successful iPad it's because that's not how it played out in the media player/portable gaming space. In that space, competitors scrambled to outdo the iPod and yet Apple never panicked, annually upping the ante and leaving the competition way behind.

The way I see this going is as follows. The iPad is more than competitive and will stay that way with no changes for the upcoming Christmas season. Early next year a new iPad will be introduced that raises the bar yet again and the competition will be utterly crushed.

As for needing volume sales to sustain iCloud, surely you jest. The iPad is selling in the millions and unless I'm mistaken, there are a few iPhones in use today. Millions of Airs, Macbooks, mac minis, iPods. Apple does have a few customers who would be using iCloud, myself included.

There is another point I'd like to make. Apple has a number of products that it's juggling. By choosing to bring out new versions of those products at different times, it makes life easier. So not everything Apple makes gets an overhaul weeks before the Christmas buying season. The iPad appears to be getting its refresh every spring, the computers throughout the spring/summer, the iPods in the fall and this time, evidently, the iPhone along with the iPods, though traditionally it has been June. In addition to it being about managing product launches, by spreading out product launches Apple winds up with free PR year-round.

I suspect that the real reason we are seeing repeated attempts to suggest a new iPad is imminent is to slow iPad momentum. If consumers hold off on an iPad purchase hoping for an upgrade soon, Apple's dominance of the tablet market would not seem so resounding. It hasn't worked, has it.