Apple exec says Google spent 'a lot of money' on Motorola

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    Here's an interesting read:

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/

Quote:

As odd as it may seem, it's increasingly likely that -- come March 2012 -- Google could be trying to consummate the acquisition of a company that's legally barred from importing Android devices into the United States. How's that for a dowry?

Kiss you? I shouldn't even be in bed with you!
  • Reply 102 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by invoice View Post

Well, I've been involved in literally hundreds of acquisitions, major ones I mean. Cash assets were in every case transfered, as is normal business practice in major acquisitions.

Now. it may be that you were involved in the acquisition of your local grocery store or bakery for which it is normal to leave the cash out of the deal.

I was going to suggest that, but thanks. You'd better duck.
  • Reply 103 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

[on edit: Google offered Motorola Mobility $40 per share... which most likely means an equity purchase... and, in that case, wouldn't Google get everything... debts, liabilities, assets, cash etc.? ]

You're exactly right.

I've been meaning to post more on-time and more often on this, but I am on vacation, and roughly six hours off (my normal) time zone, so it's been rough trying to stay in sync!
  • Reply 104 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You're exactly right.

I've been meaning to post more on-time and more often on this, but I am on vacation, and roughly six hours off (my normal) time zone, so it's been rough trying to stay in sync!

I put a link to the agreement in a post (above about 7 comments).

It's just your basic $12.5 billion agreement... nothing too fancy...

I wish I was on vacation...
  • Reply 105 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...ndroid-Assets-

"Google's purchase of Motorola Android assets "

dailykos.com?! That's not exactly even a half-way decent source for financial news, the last I knew.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Purchases of this scale are almost always asset purchases when they involve only a portion of a major company. You generally only have equity purchases when you're taking over an entire enterprise - and even then it's often assets.

Do you know the difference (if any) between "asset value" and "enterprise value"?
  • Reply 106 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I put a link to the agreement in a post (above about 7 comments).

It's just your basic $12.5 billion agreement... nothing too fancy...

I wish I was on vacation...

Nothing too fancy, indeed! Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 107 of 116
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

WinPhone7 will become the 2nd largest mobile OS very quickly and there's no way Apple can win suits against MSFT's huge patent warchest.

If Microsoft sticks with their "Windows Everywhere" strategy, even if they become #2 they will be no threat
  • Reply 108 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Needless to say yo don't know what you're talking about and are wrong on on almost every one of these points,

Yup. Now if people would stop quoting THE ENTIRE POST OF COMPLETE DRIVEL so that the ignore function would be more effective, the forums would be far more readable.
  • Reply 109 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but how is the 12.5 billion acquisition a bad deal?

Because Google is going to have to sell even more ads to just break even on what they have spent on developing and now protecting Android?

If I were a Google stockholder I wouldn't be too pleased right now - people ridiculed Microsoft for the Entertainment divisions losses with the Xbox - at least MS wasn't being sued right and left for patent violoations!

Quote:

Also bear in mind that Google gets sole ownership of Motorola patents, whereas the Nortel deal was done through a consortium of Apple, Microsoft, RIM, and others.

Why would sole ownership be important if Google was interested only in defense and not aggression?

Apple buying in a consortium that shares is bad but Google buying in sole ownership is good?

Really?

And Apple fans are fanbois?

Quote:

Add to that Google now just gained access to millions of peoples' homes by acquiring Motorola's existing Set Top Box business.

Set top boxes are part of MOBILE?

Again, really? I honestly don't know - but this will be interesting to research...

Even if true, Google TV will still suck

EDIT: Apparently set top boxes are also part of Motorola Mobility - but I'm not the only one that is skeptical: http://www.slate.com/id/2301856/

Quote:

Did this shake the tech industry to the core? HECK YES

Yeah, with HP's exit it's a vote of no-confidence!

I highly doubt HTC and Samsung are going to wait around to get "Zuned". Samsung at least has Bada...

Quote:

I'll bet you money that Apple will be acquiring a company for its patents or even more soon.

Well there is a "motherhood and apple pie" statement if I ever heard one. Duh!

The real question is will it be in reaction to Google? Highly debatable....
  • Reply 110 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I'm sure Google has already reassured its partners that it doesn't intend on decimating the "Android Army". I'm sure they also told them that they will use these patents to protect their flanks, which Apple, and Microsoft have been harrying. Makes sense, no?

And after watching similar assurances from Microsoft with it's Plays4Sure partners do you think if I am Samsung or HTC I'm going to take them at face value?

Ha! The ripples from this are going to be far reaching - even if they don't fully play out for the next 7 months or so.
  • Reply 111 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Google may be naive and bold, in some ways, but they certainly aren't stupid, which is exactly what I think they would be if they really were intending on hurting their allies.

"Allies"? Please - Google used the handset makers like a cheap trick. The bait was a "free" operating system. If I were a handset maker I would trust Google far less than Microsoft. At least Microsoft is honest about their relationship with their "partners" - there are no illusions about "open" and "doing evil" and other irrelevant crap related to business. And at least Microsoft was motivated to respond to the phone makers wants because with Windows Mobile, the phone manufacturers and through them the carriers were Microsoft's customers.

With Android ADVERTISERS are Google's customer. Period!

Quote:

All they have going for them right now is a semblance of strength in numbers. It could easily fall apart with any misstep.

Meh - the strength in numbers thing is vastly overblown since the only ones making real money are the phone carriers via subscriptions. Neither Google nor the phone manufacturers are making significant profit from Android.

Androids strength is in it's close tie to other Google services - why do you think they fall in line with Google and jockey for early access to Android?

Now, if MS gets it's act together they could challenge Google for all the non-search stuff - and who knows, Bing could possibly too. I test it out from time to time and really, I don't see much of a difference between Bing and Google as far as finding what I need. What I do notice missing on Bing are many of the obviously ad-placed links - and far fewer link farms. Heck, now that I think of it - other than habit why the heck am I sticking with Google? I need to change back to Bing and give it a more serious run.

Bing Maps may not be as rich as Googles but check this out: http://maps.nokia.com Every since I found out about Nokia's maps I don't use Google's any more. Its faster and as more up to date information than Google maps - probably because of the company that Nokia acquired and who's logo is in the lower corner of their pages.

Why do you think Apple is aggressively pursuing iCloud?

Many of the legitimate things that Android has over other platforms are about to be eliminated (and no, I don't think iCloud is in response to Androids integration with Google - with Mobile.Me it's pretty clear Apple understands the value of sync - they had other fish to fry and now it's time to polish up this corner of their ecosystem and perfect it). With Google now having the capability to "zune" their partners I think six months from now you are going to see allot less activity and enthusiasm around Android for phones.

You did hit one thing on the head - I think Google naively thought they would toss Android out there and because it was "free" it would just take over. I also think that Android was a stop gap for the iPhone and that Google assumed by now Chromebooks would have taken over the world. Apple with the App store, first on the iOS devices and now on MacOS, have pretty much slammed the door shut on Chromebooks. They may gain some traction in the enterprise in certain instances, but for normal people at home? Not a chance.
  • Reply 112 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

You forgot THE WHEEL, Apple didn't invent that too.

Ugh invent wheel. Ugh show wheel to friend Egh, Egh hit Ugh over head and steal Ugh invention.

Lawsuit over wheel drag on many days. Ugh and Egh get clubs and fight until both tired and hungry.

Finally, so many copies of wheel made by neighboring tribe to the East that wheel was declared Public Domain.

Ugh never make dime and very bitter about whole thing.

Later, he tell friends " Gadzooks, what good does it do for a man to invent a new groundbreaking product just to have rapscallions like Google steal it ?".

Friends think Ugh hit on head too many times.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I approve of the idea that the concept of a lawsuit came about before the invention of the wheel.
  • Reply 114 of 116
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

And after watching similar assurances from Microsoft with it's Plays4Sure partners do you think if I am Samsung or HTC I'm going to take them at face value?

Ha! The ripples from this are going to be far reaching - even if they don't fully play out for the next 7 months or so.

Have you really thought through your analogy?

First of all, Microsoft's "PlaysForSure" platform was going nowhere fast. Android is doing much better, on phones at least, so Google has no incentive to "pull a Zune". The reverse, actually.

Secondly, I don't think Samsung or HTC have much of a choice, unless you think running to Microsoft for a mobile OS is a better solution to their dilemma. Ironic, because that's who you just provided as the poster boy for backstabbing. RIM? Don't make me laugh. Their OS is ruined.

Bottom line is that Android remains the best alternative for Samsung and HTC, and Google knows that they need their army to keep their momentum going. They deserve each other. Theirs will be a marriage of convenience for quite some time.

Thompson
  • Reply 115 of 116
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

"Allies"? Please - Google used the handset makers like a cheap trick. The bait was a "free" operating system...

With Android ADVERTISERS are Google's customer. Period!

Agreed.

I'm not DEFENDING Google here. I don't like Android, personally. I'm trying to reason what they are most likely to do for their own selfish ends. And the answer I come up with is that they need as many hardware partners as possible to beat Apple. I still think they won't win that battle in the long run, but I think that if they go it alone they will get dominated in a New York minute. And I think they know it. Without the other hardware vendors, their Android numbers will shrink, and therefore their advertising dollars will shrink. Period! So they won't go it alone.

Quote:

Meh - the strength in numbers thing is vastly overblown since the only ones making real money are the phone carriers via subscriptions. Neither Google nor the phone manufacturers are making significant profit from Android.

Thus my use of the word "semblance". They are a loose confederation at best. But it's all Google can get, and they must keep it in tact or they are truly screwed. They know this.

Quote:

Androids strength is in it's close tie to other Google services - why do you think they fall in line with Google and jockey for early access to Android?

<Snippity Snippity Snip>

Doc, you obviously have a point to make, and I am sympathetic to it. The majority of the stuff I just snipped out in the quote directly above I already knew and (mostly) agree with. But you are WAY off my topic. I am not trying to prove Google is "doing no evil" or that they will even win. I am simply stating what is obvious to me: Google's best chance against iOS has ALWAYS been to make Android as available as possible. And that's why they won't shut it down to just themselves now.

Quote:

You did hit one thing on the head - I think Google naively thought they would toss Android out there and because it was "free" it would just take over.

Actually, Android on phones has done much better than I originally anticipated. I doubt they can keep it up under the current circumstances, but we shall see.

Quote:

I also think that Android was a stop gap for the iPhone and that Google assumed by now Chromebooks would have taken over the world. Apple with the App store, first on the iOS devices and now on MacOS, have pretty much slammed the door shut on Chromebooks. They may gain some traction in the enterprise in certain instances, but for normal people at home? Not a chance.

Oh, I think that the Chromebook is a bad idea except for a very specialized niche of people. If Google really strongly expected it to take off - as opposed to an idea they were giving a try - then I would be very surprised. They don't seem to mind throwing out little ideas and seeing what sticks. Rolling in advertising dollars affords you that luxury.

Thompson
  • Reply 116 of 116
    invoice said:
    but that companies must invent their own technology rather than take the ideas of others.

Says the CFO of the company:

- that didn't invent the mouse nor the GUI; it was Xerox' idea
    - that didn't invent the iPod nor iTunes
    - that didn't invent the PDA; that was Psion
    - that didn't invent touch nor multitouch; that was Fingerworks
    - that didn't invent OS X; Unixe was Bell Labs' idea
    - that didn't invent Coverflow
    - that didn't invent TabletPCs; that was MS

- that didn't invent the rectangular format

all these idea's taken from others
    Well that's a Geometry simply