Apple may introduce a radically different Mac product family by year's end

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With consumers embracing a rapid shift away from traditional computers and towards a growing array of mobile devices, Apple may be preparing to introduce a distinct family of next-generation Mac designs unlike anything seen to date, a vague rumor suggests.

Citing an anonymous source within the Cupertino-based company's Asian supply chain, hit-or-miss macotakara.jp claims Apple with the help of its component suppliers is gearing up to introduce Macs that are "absolutely different from current products," possibly by the "end of this year."

The brief report goes on to state that although the source could provide no further details on the matter, the designs of the new Macs mark such a departure from Apple's existing offerings that they could be brought to market under a new brand or product name altogether.

As such, the latest rumor appears to be describing an initiative separate from Apple's reported efforts (1, 2) to transition its flagship line of MacBook Pro notebooks into slimmer enclosures akin to the MacBook Air, dropping traditional hard disk drives in favor of solid state drives and jettisoning optical disc drives completely.

For its part, macotakara.jp has a mixed track record in predicting Apple's future product directions. Though it accurately reported that Apple would introduce its second-gen iPad in March and push out the release of the iPhone 5 until much later in the year, other reports about new MacBook Airs featuring high-speed 400MBps flash memory and a flat-back iPad 2 did not pan out.

The Japanese publication has also issued a flurry of other claims over the past several months that remain pending, including rumors that Apple will return to an aluminum backside on the iPhone 5 and that the company is testing MacBook Airs powered by the same A5 chip found inside the iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... hit-or-miss macotakara.jp claims ... the designs of the news Macs mark such a departure from Apple's existing offerings that they could be brought to market under a new brand or product name altogether.

I'd call this one a miss.
  • Reply 2 of 226
    It makes sense! Apple has always pushed the envelope when it comes to getting rid of older technology and radical redesigns! With the kind of deep pockets they have now their R&D has a lot of fuel and they can hire some of the best.

Can't wait to see them
  • Reply 3 of 226
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    What a waste of an article. Where is the news in that. Someone predicts that something different will come out in the future. wow
  • Reply 4 of 226
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    If this is true, I imagine it's some kind of giant desktop iPad. Or at least something where touch plays a large role.
  • Reply 5 of 226
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

... and they can hire some of the best.

I'd like to add that they can also attract the best. I know I would love to work for Apple if I am young, smart ...
  • Reply 6 of 226
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    If it is. I bet it would have something to do with that LiquidMetal stuff.

Once Apple uses that type of built. It will be almost impossible for other competitors to follow

suit.

They still have not been able to do the aluminum enclosures yet.
  • Reply 7 of 226
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,855member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

If this is true, I imagine it's some kind of giant desktop iPad. Or at least something where touch plays a large role.

When iOS comes to the "desktop", it will not be as a touchscreen based computer.

EDIT: (Apple has already demonstrated, with ATV that iOS!=touchscreen.)
  • Reply 8 of 226
    Is this the "future product transition" that they were talking about?
  • Reply 9 of 226
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Perhaps some kind of cloud computer.

Something that holds all data and applications in the cloud, yet has a real keyboard, can run iOS apps as well as re-compiled Mac apps, but offers a touch screen too.

Think MacBook Air with very little local storage, an ARM quad-core chip and insane battery life.

Apple had a few patent applications about notebook/tablet conversions...
  • Reply 10 of 226
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    In the last quarterly earnings calls, the Apple CFO referred to a major product transition in the September quarter, but people are assuming it is the iPhone 5.

Edit: maybe a tablet that's built in to a table, like the Microsoft one. A "desktop iPad"
  • Reply 11 of 226
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Is this the "future product transition" that they were talking about?

Don't think so. A product transition would indicate a transition from an existing product. Like new iPhone or a new MacBook Pro models.

This is reportedly a completely new product.
  • Reply 12 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It's a redesigned Mac Pro. Nothing to see here, people.
  • Reply 13 of 226
    Apple may have found that they were able to produce that kind of next generation device ahead of their previously deterined schedule. This could have been driven by the wide acceptance of the iPad which they hadn't anticipated being as great as it proved to be - their commentary in the quarterly financial calls alluded to their (pleasant) surprise. If that is the case, and especially with the announced intention of HP out of desktop PC production, it is not, as noted above, beyond Apple to introduce something very disruptive and ride out the initial reaction to the radical departure in order to build out the foundation of what they see as the next generation of computing devices.

I think it has been mentioned before but bears repeating: the iPhone and the iPod Touch were the precursors to the iPad - even though the iPad was allegedly on the bench first. It made sense (in retrospect) to bring out smaller, "less threatening" devices first to gauge consumer reaction to the interface, and then introduce the iPad. Which in turn could be the predecessor to a whole new line of computing devices.

This is going to be a struggle first for those of us in technology, as we tend to be wedded to the existing technology paradigm, so look for strong negative reaction by pundits across the board to the new approach when Apple first announces it. Apple stock will inevitably take an initial hit as well (as it seems to do when Apple introduces a new product line). As the iPad demonstrated, if a straight line is drawn from one product to the next (interface-wise for example) consumers have demonstrated that they are willing to make that move much quicker than those of us who are heavily invested in the current technologies.

If this is true we are poised for yet another disruption.
  • Reply 14 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

If it is. I bet it would have something to do with that LiquidMetal stuff.

I agree. A new form factor constructed from new materials - LiquidMetal or AppleGlass - the same formulated material Apple is using to build it's stores and new campus - it's scratch proof and unbreakable.

My bet the device is built to showcase Lion - not iOS.
  • Reply 15 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Perhaps some kind of cloud computer.

Something that holds all data and applications in the cloud, yet has a real keyboard, can run iOS apps as well as re-compiled Mac apps, but offers a touch screen too.

Think MacBook Air with very little local storage, an ARM quad-core chip and insane battery life.

Apple had a few patent applications about notebook/tablet conversions...

What you are describing here is a regular MacBook Air, but running Windows 8.

Somehow I don't think so.
  • Reply 16 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Touch does not work - ergonomically - on vertical screens.
  • Reply 17 of 226
    nw3227nw3227 Posts: 16member
    If I were an Apple competitor, this is the kind of rumor I would start in order to get potential Apple customers to hold off on buying a Mac.
  • Reply 18 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nw3227 View Post

If I were an Apple competitor, this is the kind of rumor I would start in order to get potential Apple customers to hold off on buying a Mac.

You realize that the only people who would "hold off" are people HERE who already wait based on rumors that aren't started by "competitors", right?
  • Reply 19 of 226
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You realize that the only people who would "hold off" are people HERE who already wait based on rumors that aren't started by "competitors", right?

Nobody on these boards ever realizes that they are not a representative sample Or even a skewed one! These boards are < 1% outliers, nothing more.
  • Reply 20 of 226
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Hmmm, iOS version of a ChromeBook makes sense, that would explain the LTE microcells being installed in Apple Stores.

Would fit with iCloud's rollout timeline.

MBA type form factor anyone?

How much will they charge for it?