Apple may introduce a radically different Mac product family by year's end

Comments

• Reply 41 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Is this the "future product transition" that they were talking about?

I take "transition" to mean change to a product or replacement of a product -- as opposed to a totally new product.

For example, i would call the iPad 3 a transition -- but not the iPad 1.

One thing they could do with the iPad is harden it, anti-glare it, and mass-produce a single low-price model as the OLPC tablet solution.
  • Reply 42 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

I'm not interested in iSkyNet. The day Apple goes 100% iCloud is the day I go 100% linux.

Except this will never happen under any circumstances in any form at any time.

I think that covers all cases.

I assume you don't use Facebook, Google, or an ISP at home, then, either.
  • Reply 43 of 226
    Maybe the Mac Pro isn't going so Pro anymore...

If the rumor points to something true, I guess Apple will release a redesigned Mac Pro with less Pro oriented hardware but still good enough to satisfy demand of content creators, gamers and good enough for some server needs. But hey... this is more of a wish than an educated guess :-P
  • Reply 44 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a redesigned Mac Pro. Nothing to see here, people.

Oh....

What if the Mac pro becomes just a box containing major RAM, CPU, GPU, Reasonable SSD.... and dual Thunderbolt ports.

These could be daisy chained ad infinitum including RAID HDDs and some Displays. a kb, mouse and maybe an iPad.
  • Reply 45 of 226
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

If this is true, I imagine it's some kind of giant desktop iPad. Or at least something where touch plays a large role.

ipad form factor, MBA capabilities (SSD, more RAM, retina display, access to the file system, i/o ports, video out, hybrid OS so you can run iOS apps and mac apps, retina display

..a "true" touch based laptop?
  • Reply 46 of 226
    Apple has been teetering as the most valuable brand in the world. No way would they release a product under a different brand name for the sake of distancing themselves from the current product line.
  • Reply 47 of 226
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

If this is true, I imagine it's some kind of giant desktop iPad. Or at least something where touch plays a large role.

I real "desktop" pad, something slim and big that we put down on our "desk" would be interesting. They could also do an optionnal small inclination like a drawing table.

For touch base, vertical screens PC's are awkward and tiredsome in the long run.
  • Reply 48 of 226
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I take "transition" to mean change to a product or replacement of a product -- as opposed to a totally new product.

For example, i would call the iPad 3 a transition -- but not the iPad 1.

One thing they could do with the iPad is harden it, anti-glare it, and mass-produce a single low-price model as the OLPC tablet solution.

Apple TV becoming integral within a new wifi only HDTV could considered a transitional product. Just a thought ....
  • Reply 49 of 226
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Hey what's wrong with "mature" and smart?

Mature and smart people may not want to work 100 hous a week and get yelled at for small mistakes. They also may have too good a graphic design sense to follow Apple's new direction of throwing good software design principles out the window just to be radically different.
  • Reply 50 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

If the rumor points to something true, I guess Apple will release a redesigned Mac Pro with less Pro oriented hardware but still good enough to satisfy demand of content creators, gamers and good enough for some server needs. But hey... this is more of a wish than an educated guess :-P

Nonsense. That's why the Mac Mini and iMac exist.

Quote:

Oh....

What if the Mac pro becomes just a box containing major RAM, CPU, GPU, Reasonable SSD.... and dual Thunderbolt ports.

These could be daisy chained ad infinitum including RAID HDDs and some Displays. a kb, mouse and maybe an iPad.

? WANT. NOW.

Need a more powerful computer? Buy a second box. Need more hard drive space? Buy a Thunderbolt RAID array. Need a more powerful computer after that? Plug the second box into the Thunderbolt RAID array.

This would basically be RAIDed CPUs. Just buy more and plug them in. And obviously knowing Apple, it wouldn't take any setup at all. Entire server rooms would be reduced to plugging in a new box when you needed more processing power.
  • Reply 51 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Apple may be preparing to introduce a distinct family next-generation Mac designs unlike anything seen to date ...

Translation: Apple is going to ruin the Mac pros now.
  • Reply 52 of 226
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    What a great story - this'll get us all thinking!
  • Reply 53 of 226
    Maybe the product is not a piece of hardware but a service.

Maybe Apple is about to take on Google single source of income by going after their search and advertising base.
  • Reply 54 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Hey what's wrong with "mature" and smart?

I discovered Apple in 1978 -- I wanted to buy an Apple ][, on a Saturday and the 4 computer stores in Silicon Valley were all closed. On the way home, my wife, Lucy, said "Apple just moved to Cupertino, and I think I can find it". She did -- Bandley Drive -- roads being paved construction everywhere -- what a mess!

We enter this building -- a big room with a counter at one end -- no other furniture. People were everywhere, standing leaning against the wall, sitting on the floor -- some with computers, showing stuff to others. It looked like a Berkley sit-in -- loud, raucous -- but everybody was laughing and having fun...

Long story short -- I got my Apple ][ a month later, with 2 partners opened the 5th computer stope in SV that December, and later quit a very good Job at IBM Palo Alto.

I always wondered what would have happened -- if that day I'd applied at Apple...

Ah, but SJ and I would have butted heads -- and my ass would have been out of there in no time...
  • Reply 55 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Apple may have found that they were able to produce that kind of next generation device ahead of their previously deterined schedule. This could have been driven by the wide acceptance of the iPad which they hadn't anticipated being as great as it proved to be - their commentary in the quarterly financial calls alluded to their (pleasant) surprise. If that is the case, and especially with the announced intention of HP out of desktop PC production, it is not, as noted above, beyond Apple to introduce something very disruptive and ride out the initial reaction to the radical departure in order to build out the foundation of what they see as the next generation of computing devices.

I think it has been mentioned before but bears repeating: the iPhone and the iPod Touch were the precursors to the iPad - even though the iPad was allegedly on the bench first. It made sense (in retrospect) to bring out smaller, "less threatening" devices first to gauge consumer reaction to the interface, and then introduce the iPad. Which in turn could be the predecessor to a whole new line of computing devices.

This is going to be a struggle first for those of us in technology, as we tend to be wedded to the existing technology paradigm, so look for strong negative reaction by pundits across the board to the new approach when Apple first announces it. Apple stock will inevitably take an initial hit as well (as it seems to do when Apple introduces a new product line). As the iPad demonstrated, if a straight line is drawn from one product to the next (interface-wise for example) consumers have demonstrated that they are willing to make that move much quicker than those of us who are heavily invested in the current technologies.

If this is true we are poised for yet another disruption.

If the [stupid] iOSification of Lion is any indication, then future Apple products probably will be disruptive. The "we know better than you" attitude of Apple - while justified occasionally, is being pushed to extremes. They'd better be right.
  • Reply 56 of 226
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

I think this is it. Ever since the recent Mac mini update I've been wondering if Apple will actually kill the iMac. The mini is now enough computer for home users. I think they would then introduce a new Mac Pro that's smaller and cheaper. Essentially a headless iMac. The reason I think this is likely is simply because desktop computers are no longer popular and it might not make sense to introduce a new, redesigned line of iMacs for a declining market. A mid-range Mac Pro would be a cheaper, more flexible option that could serve a broader range of people (consumers, prosumers, professionals) with built-to-order options.
  • Reply 57 of 226
    (please don't quote spam!)

Wow! If I just hadn't sent all my money to Nigeria to help those poor unfortunate souls, I'd be all over this.
  • Reply 58 of 226
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

I discovered Apple in 1978 -- I wanted to buy an Apple ][, on a Saturday and the 4 computer stores in Silicon Valley were all closed. On the way home, my wife, Lucy, said "Apple just moved to Cupertino, and I think I can find it". She did -- Bandley Drive -- roads being paved construction everywhere -- what a mess!

We enter this building -- a big room with a counter at one end -- no other furniture. People were everywhere, standing leaning against the wall, sitting on the floor -- some with computers, showing stuff to others. It looked like a Berkley sit-in -- loud, raucous -- but everybody was laughing and having fun...

Long story short -- I got my Apple ][ a month later, with 2 partners opened the 5th computer stope in SV that December, and later quit a very good Job at IBM Palo Alto.

I always wondered what would have happened -- if that day I'd applied at Apple...

Ah, but SJ and I would have butted heads -- and my ass would have been out of there in no time...

Great story! I love to hear stories like that...gives you a ton of context....
  • Reply 59 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Translation: Apple is going to ruin the Mac pros now.

Oh well, covered my ass if they do .. phew! I sold my three year old Mac Pro for more than I had in it for it thanks to my own upgrades of RAM and internal drives and two screens plus extra Video card.

I miss it for some things like the awesome multi tasking but my i7 MBP and external Apple LCD (an even iPad now and then as external screen lol) makes for a far more flexible set up.
  • Reply 60 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Wow! If I just hadn't sent all my money to Nigeria to help those poor unfortunate souls, I'd be all over this.

Don't quote spam! Please ...