Windows 8 appears to adopt Mac OS X Lion's monochrome, iPad-like icons

Comments

• Reply 61 of 158
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Well, I surely don't want the visual mess of Windows 8, but I did like color in iTunes and finder. Made stuff way easier to find.

I can see that with the small grey on white icons. The eyes don't pick up on them quickly so color or a more dramatic monochrome would be helpful. However, what I'm seeing with Metro UI is pretty dramatic. It's like it's being designed for OLED display where you want to use more blacks to save on display power drain.
  • Reply 62 of 158
    Connotes

Based on a pre-beta snap of a demo video about native ISO/VHD support the OP has concluded that Windows 8 has ripped off the Metro-style OSX Lion monochrome icons.

An example of just how heavily Windows 8 rips off OSX Lion is presented below.

• Reply 63 of 158
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can see that with the small grey on white icons. The eyes don't pick up on them quickly so color or a more dramatic monochrome would be helpful. However, what I'm seeing with Metro UI is pretty dramatic. It's like it's being designed for OLED display where you want to use more blacks to save on display power drain.

Yea totally agree. When there is too much color is distracting, but if used correctly it can be very helpful.
  • Reply 64 of 158
    Breaking news...

Scientists around the world are currently trying to discover how Microsoft we able to transport ideas backwards 5 years in time in order to steal the iconography from OSX Lion and (perhaps even more perplexing) with this incredibly 5 year hind-sight available to them, why they still chose the poo-brown color for the Zune.

• Reply 65 of 158

Huh? First they spend xx millions on advertisement for Vista, hailing 'after 30 years we finally dropped the text START from the Start button' and now they add it back.

Wow. Just wow.

I just don't understand this company. Even when they always make money, no matter what they do, or don't do, why is it that they simply do not make things better. They don't make their software nicer to look at, easier to work with.

I think Steve Jobs was right in saying (at NeXT) that they have no taste. There doesn't seem to be any guidance, no vision. Surely it can't be the employees; Apple possibly hires ex-Microsoft employees for their skills.

Quite in-comprehendible to see two companies, both in the tech industry, yet worlds apart.
  • Reply 66 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can't wait for Clippy Story, A BOB's Life, Clippy Story 2, Finding Longhorn, Microsoft Inc., The Anti-Trustables, Staerbückes, BALLME-R, Up(grade), Clippy Story 3, and their newest movie, (Internet) Explorer.

These forums get better and better! With funnier posts, and of course Dick's copytition yesterday.

And Bada Boom, Bada Bing. Classic already.
  • Reply 67 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Breaking news...

Scientists around the world are currently trying to discover how Microsoft we able to transport ideas backwards 5 years in time in order to steal the iconography from OSX Lion and (perhaps even more perplexing) with this incredibly 5 year hind-sight available to them, why they still chose the poo-brown color for the Zune.

Geez! That picture is the epitome of a "goatse" in tech/industrial design. Made me dry-heave a little! Wonder what Jonny Ive does if someone throws (up) that picture at him?
  • Reply 68 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Huh? First they spend xx millions on advertisement for Vista, hailing 'after 30 years we finally dropped the text START from the Start button' and now they add it back.

Wow. Just wow.

I just don't understand this company. Even when they always make money, no matter what they do, or don't do, why is it that they simply do not make things better. They don't make their software nicer to look at, easier to work with.

I think Steve Jobs was right in saying (at NeXT) that they have no taste. There doesn't seem to be any guidance, no vision. Surely it can't be the employees; Apple possibly hires ex-Microsoft employees for their skills.

Quite in-comprehendible to see two companies, both in the tech industry, yet worlds apart.

What is incomprehensible is that people take DED at face value, do no research whatsoever and then take the trouble to post their lack of knowledge on the web.
  • Reply 69 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I was about to say the same thing. I'd prefer to see no Microsoft stuff here on AI at all than articles just dreamt up out of nowhere to get hits/attack Microsoft just for DED's guilty pleasure.

That being said, the Win 8 screen shot is hideous. No consistency whatsoever.

If you had run 3.11 you would realize how wrong you are.

Windows is a very consistent family. It's consistently inconsistent.
  • Reply 70 of 158
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

hey...those icons are from Zune HD and Windows Phone. nice try. :-D

Good job, well spotted.

+1

AI fail.
  • Reply 71 of 158
    Quote:

OLED screens have a McDonalds behavior...

I'm out already.
  • Reply 72 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow. Just wow.

It's a bit early to be making any kind of call on this yet. I'm not even sure what the hell we are looking at!

The "Start" text doesn't actually go there as you can see it clipping the Explorer icon (first image below).

It almost appears that he is running a Windows 7 themed desktop in an RDP or VM session inside a "real" Windows 8 PC.

At the end of the day all this analysis on something that probably won't even make the final product seems kind of pointless. I've got a feeling Microsoft are using this "engineering blog" as a viral ad campaign.

• Reply 73 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It's a bit early to be making any kind of call on this yet. I'm not even sure what the hell we are looking at!

The "Start" text doesn't actually go there as you can see it clipping the Explorer icon (first image below).

It almost appears that he is running a Windows 7 themed desktop in an RDP or VM session inside a "real" Windows 8 PC.

At the end of the day all this analysis on something that probably won't even make the final product seems kind of pointless. I've got a feeling Microsoft are using this "engineering blog" as a viral ad campaign.

I wouldn't mind if they went full metro when it came to Windows 8 UI...well not full metro, as it wouldn't be as effective on a large screen IMO but more like how I use to theme my desktop, more or less.

Being microsoft I do NOT expect them to release something substantially cool looking for a desktop environment...but I can hope.
  • Reply 74 of 158
    FWIW: PIXAR FILMS during their BOX OFFICE RUNS WORLD-WIDE

Toy Story: Worldwidet $361,958,736\t

Toy Story 2: Worldwidet $485,015,179\t

Toy Story 3: Worldwidet $1,063,171,911\t

Monsters Inc: Worldwidet $525,366,597

A Bug's Life: Worldwidet $363,398,565\t

Finding Nemo: Worldwidet $867,893,978\t

The Incredibles: Worldwide: $631,442,092

Cars: Worldwidet $461,983,149

Ratatouille: Worldwidet $623,722,818

Wall-E: Worldwidet $521,311,860\t

Up: Worldwidet $731,342,744

Cars 2: Worldwidet $521,960,986*

* And counting

Subtotal Box Office* = $7,158,568,615

With over $7 Billion in Box Office sales and probably double that in Video Sales and Toy Sales no wonder Disney got a huge bargain when they bought PIXAR.
  • Reply 75 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I wouldn't mind if they went full metro when it came to Windows 8 UI...well not full metro, as it wouldn't be as effective on a large screen IMO but more like how I use to theme my desktop, more or less.

Being microsoft I do NOT expect them to release something substantially cool looking for a desktop environment...but I can hope.

Looks like they borrowed heavily from GNOME which borrowed heavily from Apple and NeXT.
  • Reply 76 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Looks like they borrowed heavily from GNOME which borrowed heavily from Apple and NeXT.

everything is borrowed at some point or the other...there are few completely new ideas.
  • Reply 77 of 158
    Any hacks yet to REVERT, or alter, the lion icons back to something human beings can read without squinting, something with colour for visual cues? (Yes I hate them, and my download of lion is for the past couple of months or so still in pause and no resume is in the horizon.
  • Reply 78 of 158
    Or they could just be continuing with the "Windows 7" appearance.
  • Reply 79 of 158
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Because I have million of colours I should be using them all the time? I'm glad they are there for videos, but that's about it. For my UI I want visual data that is easier for my brain to decode. Just imagine that instead of the names of menus in the Menu Bar we had colourful icons or if each letter was a different colour. That wouldn't be useful to the user.

Arguably the flattening out has gone too far in lion. I can hardly tell which buttons are active anymore. Prime example, the back button in safari. The difference in contrast is so subtle as to be basically useless. Even Apples own HIG stated colour to be useful, right?
  • Reply 80 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I'm curious about the graphic artists that Microsoft hired to work on the icons. You normally think of artistic types as taking some pride in their work and trying to come up with something original, maybe not completely but at least to build on the current idiom. But I get the feeling that MS's graphic artists do not care, or can't afford to care, about artistic integrity. Or perhaps it's MS who doesn't really care about those things at all and the poor illustrators are just happy to have a steady job. Albeit doing uninspired, mind-numbing mimicry.

here, here.