New Android Amazon Kindle to abandon eInk and take on iPad with customized Android build

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Either way, there may never be a "Kindle 4" eInk reader, so I guess this is the end of the line for Kindle fans. I base that conclusion on completely nothing. Kindle 3 will be the last Amazon eInk reader.

And your conclusion directly contradicts what Amazon told MG. Amazon WILL continue eink based devices.

Seriously, it's best to treat AI articles (at least one's about other platforms) like SEO sites that are quoting Wikipedia entries. You're unlikely to get anything really useful from the main article, it's a lot better to go to the source.

(in this case, TechCrunch)
  • Reply 62 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Pay half price for a device that comes with thousands of free tv shows available to stream instantly, gives you a free paid app every day, runs frequent music sales where you can get an album for a fraction of the cost (and listen to it on any device).. oh yeah, and free 2 day shipping on any order from amazon.com. Not to mention have amazon's popular Kindle software in a device that's easily held in one hand and thus much more comfortable to hold in one hand

Half the price for a tablet that's HALF the size, thus half as comfortable viewing. With a LOT less horsepower, and Wifi only. That means all your Netflix will be be done at home, where what's the use of a more portable device as you put it? I'd rather watch movies on a big screen at home, wouldn't you? At least it could be used by the kids in a family I guess.. If they want to watch it on a 6" screen..

The one feature that is gold for the kindle is Eink. It makes the Kindle almost alone on his market. This new tablet departs from that and goes firmly into the sub iPad market, smaller, less functionalities, no ecosystem really, and no future OS advancement. I for one think it'll tank.
  • Reply 63 of 103
    Quote:

I forgot about the prime tie in.. Yeah, that could get insane.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon made a special "Deals" and "Prime Deals" app for them as well, for kindle books, movie rentals (not covered by prime) etc. to help encourage people to buy one.

To people saying "This is another fail android tablet":

1) Amazon won't market this as android. From what I'm reading, it doesn't have Android Market Access OR google apps (maps, mail, etc). This is more akin to what the Grid10 did with android than to Touchwiz. It's a Fork, and I think the'll push it as a "Kindle" and not as an android powered kindle. The only time they'd really want/need to mention that it runs on android is when they (might) stress that all apps users purchased in android app store will work on it. (I think the'll rebrand it Kindle App Store).

2) Amazon is the ONLY company besides for Apple that has a pretty big content ecosystem to support a device. The have a Music service, a movie service, their own app store, amazon Prime, and a powerful brand. Expect to see a polished "amazon shopper" app debut on this device.

3) Amazon is a well known company, and Kindle is a well known brand as well. That already puts it above other android offerings. Hopefully Amazon's marketing will be better as well, though being better than Xoom ads is a rather low target to aim for.

One major flaw in your logic the article says it won't run many of the apps.
  • Reply 64 of 103
    These cheaper smaller tablets are an important market segment. These products will sell, because they fill a need Apple has chosen to ignore.

I have an iPad, but I also recently bought an inexpensive 7" B&N/Android based eReader.

For me, the iPad is just too expensive to take anywhere where it might be near water, sand, sunlight, might get dropped/lost/stolen, etc. I'm hesitant to take it out of the house so often that it doesn't even get used all that much. If all you want is to read a book, the thing should be cheap and small. The 7" form factor is much better for that specific purpose, easier to hold, easier to carry around, same size as a real book.

If anything, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much the B&N reader can do. It's no iPad, but It's a lot better than I expected for the price. Web browsing works well, so does video playback, and I really like that I can load any file from any source by USB or SD card without needing to sync it to itunes first.
  • Reply 65 of 103
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I hope they don't discontinue the e-ink one. If I was them I would make a bigger e-ink one and try to make deals with newspapers.

But the user interface idea where you have no apps, just a spinning wheel of your content, is an interesting one.
  • Reply 66 of 103
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    It was rumoured that Amazon would make its own fork of Android so that it had nothing to do with Google. It would then be able to develop and further their own OS fo kindle which they know can stand on its own. They will also push their own apps and AppStore for the kindle which will only be for the kindle and won't run on other android hardware.
  • Reply 67 of 103
    Kindle is an overpriced single-purpose moron of a device slaved to a company whose ebook products are as shoddy as their marketing practices, and Android is fast becoming such a fragmented mess that the trademark will shortly cease to mean anything at all.

Just what I need? Another piece of eCrap, running a crippled version of an incoherent OS, so that I can download a typo-riddled 700-page book of short stories with no table of contents.

Has anyone else noticed that the more the delivery method is hyped the more likely it is the product being delivered is garbage? This reminds me of the 60's love affair with frozen food? never mind that it has all the nutrition of the cardboard that it tastes like, it's so convenient! Just how many ways do I really need to watch the latest sequel to a remake of an 80's reconception of a classic science fiction novel that's eliminated the plot in order to make time for more exploding helicopters?

Anyone for aerosol cheese in a can? There's an app for that!
  • Reply 68 of 103
    I suppose an all-encompassing ecosystem for such a device would have to include the following:

- Content

- Games

- Productivity

Amazon has the first one nailed, and if they introduce their Amazon App store on the tablet (which I have no doubt they will) they can have the second. Productivity would really extend to apps, which increase the usefulness of the device, but also basic functions like email and calendar services, so I'm interested to see what Amazon does in this regard. Other Android tablets are toy-like because they don't have the apps and hence, there's not much additional utility beyond what you get when you first turn the thing on.

It looks like Amazon are going to build their own ecosystem separate to Android and separate from Google. More of a threat to other Android device makers who don't seem to understand what people want. It's cheap though, and I haven't really seen Amazon display any kind of design expertise when it comes to UI (with the exception of their Kindle and Window Shop apps - the website is a PITA), so whether it actually is good, or even good enough, is something I'm a bit skeptical about.

eInk, in my opinion, is a moot point. It's a tablet and not a dedicated e-Reader so an eInk screen doesn't make sense. Unsure why complaints about this are coming up.

People don't expect to buy things from Google, but they will from Amazon. Hence, they actually have a good shot at doing well here.
  • Reply 69 of 103
    If this device gains traction... which I think it could... it spells the death knell for other Android tablets, no matter their superior size, quality or specs. The price point won't and probably can't be matched. And even it could, Amazon at some point could again make it free i.e. subsidized to sell their services and merchandise. It's the ecosystem... and as others above have mentioned, it's a AA game, not AAA at this point.

I continue to say that Android, as it is is today being open for any and all, being actively developed by Google first and foremost... will cease to be by next Summer. For various reasons, but this news just adds to that inevitability. They will concentrate on Chrome, and let Android and all of it's assorted forks flounder on their own.

Only horse in this race that still isn't even out of the gate, is MS. I as well as many here deride Balmer as a buffoon of the tree-swinging, dev-dancing, chair-throwing tantrum kind. Just imagine if MS and Ballmer are not as dumb as they appear to be, and are biding their time and watching how this all unfolds (implodes?) first, before jumping into the race. It remains to be seen if Ballmer has a trick up is sleave and is a jockey, or just plain joke.

Let's not forget: it took MS 4 (5?) versions of DOS/Windows before they were on a par with Apple when it comes to "consumer" and user friendliness. "Par" is up for debate... I know. However, these devices demand user-friendliness this time around. There's a lot of people impressed with Metro. I for one, if only because it's an original instead of a copy of Apple's iOS. It will be interesting how they integrate it with Win8.

When I view my personal crystal ball into 2014, I see Apple still in the lead; Google stumbling badly on turn 2; RIM has been Medivaced; and MS pulling around the turn with speed to nip at the tail of our beloved unicorn

PS: Have I ever mentioned I'm a betting-type of guy?

PSS: ... and NO! I do NOT like MS or any of their products. However when betting, you really should stay objective and detached from emotion.
  • Reply 70 of 103
    if they abandon an E-ink model. Once Apple incorporates a Retina display into the iPad 3, reading will become silken smooth on a large iOS form factor. Reading in bright, ambient light will still be a problem for both devices, but that's the nature of the LCD beast.
  • Reply 71 of 103
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Epic fail.

Inability to run Android apps is a huge problem. And one of the big Kindle selling features was eInk. Losing it costs them the 'readability advantage' they claim.

Half the size of the iPad, too. Too big for your pocket and too small to be a full blown pad. Given the size and lack of Android apps, it will be an eReader and not much else - but with them losing the claimed advantage of eInk, there's nothing going for it but the price.

People that want to run Android apps on it will very likely figure out a way to do just that. Since Android is open source it's much easier to hack.
  • Reply 72 of 103
    Quote:

Epic fail.

Inability to run Android apps is a huge problem. And one of the big Kindle selling features was eInk. Losing it costs them the 'readability advantage' they claim.

Half the size of the iPad, too. Too big for your pocket and too small to be a full blown pad. Given the size and lack of Android apps, it will be an eReader and not much else - but with them losing the claimed advantage of eInk, there's nothing going for it but the price.

eh, you mean Google apps. It'll have Amazon's app store. So Android apps will be very likely.

I fear (as a tinkerer) that they will lock this device down though...no sideloading, no rooting...so not for me.

But if the Android dev community can work with this tablet I can see them as the best Android tablets in existence...which, at it's present state, wouldn't really be saying much.
  • Reply 73 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

eh, you mean Google apps. It'll have Amazon's app store. So Android apps will be very likely.

Let's see. The reviewer (who has actually used the device) says it won't have Android apps.

Some anonymous person who hasn't even seen the device says it will.

Who to believe?
  • Reply 74 of 103
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Uh-huh. Now read the other posts in this thread. Most posters want nothing to do with e-ink. Sorry, but you and your two Kindles don't necessarily speak for the average consumer. (Neither do they, of course, but that's why I said it is a long, long way from proven that e-ink is the main reason for the Kindle's success.)

If the kindle didn't use e-ink i wouldn't have mine. For reading straight text it is way better than the ipad. It works in sunlight and it works fine in a dimly lit room. The form factor and battery life are fantastic-- as an ereader. For anything other than just text the ipad is better. I've recently read a wine tasting book on both a kindle and on an ipad. On the ipad there are embedded videos that just don't show up on the kidle. This book was purchased from the kindle store.

Typed on my ipad
  • Reply 75 of 103
    Actually the rumor is there will be two versions. One with color only, and a dual-mode with color and e-ink.

Cnet link

"The power of e-ink: While the Techcrunch report says the tablet Siegler handled was backlit-only, there are reports that the other of the possible two models will be dual-mode, operating as a backlit color tablet with the option to switch to the easy-on-the-eye e-Ink mode familiar to Kindle users. This is another key differentiating factor that could push Amazon forward."

Should be interesting to see what Amazon comes out with.
  • Reply 76 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After originally limited the Nook Color to only function as an ebook reader,

an device can run "Android apps,"

DED's typos of the day
  • Reply 77 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

One major flaw in your logic the article says it won't run many of the apps.

And the major flaw in yours (and the AI article apparently) is that this will have access to the amazon app store, which already has a ton of apps over the Nook.

Your other major flaw is that you think this is an "ipad competitor". Amazon will market this as a KINDLE, not as an "app tablet"
  • Reply 78 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

Half the price for a tablet that's HALF the size, thus half as comfortable viewing. With a LOT less horsepower, and Wifi only. That means all your Netflix will be be done at home, where what's the use of a more portable device as you put it? I'd rather watch movies on a big screen at home, wouldn't you? At least it could be used by the kids in a family I guess.. If they want to watch it on a 6" screen..

The one feature that is gold for the kindle is Eink. It makes the Kindle almost alone on his market. This new tablet departs from that and goes firmly into the sub iPad market, smaller, less functionalities, no ecosystem really, and no future OS advancement. I for one think it'll tank.

They won't market this as an app tablet, it's as a kindle. And again, 7 inches is MUCH better for reading than a 10 inch device.
  • Reply 79 of 103
    Quote:

Let's see. The reviewer (who has actually used the device) says it won't have Android apps.

Some anonymous person who hasn't even seen the device says it will.

Who to believe?

The reviewer (who actually used the device) said it will have the amazon app store, WHICH RUNS ANDROID APPS.

The reviewer said it doesn't have Market (as in android market) access or Gmail/gtalk etc. Some anonymous user "jragosta" seems to claim that it won't run any android apps. Who to believe?

It helps if you actually READ the article.

Here's the relevant passage:

Quote:

I believe the visual web reading app Pulse will be bundled with the Kindle. A game like Angry Birds may be as well. Again, it uses Amazon’s Android Appstore, so all of the content accepted into that store will play well on this device. Apps, games, content, you name it. Amazon creating their own app store is starting to make a lot more sense, and looks potentially very smart (as anticipated).

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/amazon-kindle-tablet/
  • Reply 80 of 103
    Quote:

And the major flaw in yours (and the AI article apparently) is that this will have access to the amazon app store, which already has a ton of apps over the Nook.

Your other major flaw is that you think this is an "ipad competitor". Amazon will market this as a KINDLE, not as an "app tablet"

Sorry, but having apps on it, at minimum, puts it into competition with low end tablets. Since it runs a non-standard release of Android how many apps do you think will really run on it?

Android has had problems with fragmentation issues on standard Android releases, there surely won't be a compatibility improvement with the use of a new and non-standard version of Android,.