Baidu forks Android to introduce its own mobile OS for China

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

He's a professional, he does this for a living. He isn't here to have an honest discussion, he's here to disrupt discussions, spread misinformation, deny the truth, and make a buck while he does so.

I won't go so far as to say he is a paid poster but I did find it telling that he stated that the apps in the app store had no categories which is patently false and shows the he possibly has never used an idevice to any real extent.
  • Reply 222 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,249member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

I won't go so far as to say he is a paid poster but I did find it telling that he stated that the apps in the app store had no categories which is patently false and shows the he possibly has never used an idevice to any real extent.

I didn't intend to say no categories, rather not as categorized. And true, we have only one iDevice in the household, which isn't used nearly as often as it once was. Thanks for catching that misstatement Freckledbruh, and I'll take time to brush up on recent iTunes changes.

EDIT: BTW, I just finished a read on a Swiftkey commissioned survey. As expected keyboards and users opinions on them on mobile devices was a primary thrust of the study. Apple users are the most satisfied with their stock keyboards while Android users were predictably the least enamored with them.

As well, there's a lot of other good tidbits in there.

How do people use their phones – not just (or even primarily) for making calls

80% make a voice call at least once a day – 94% email at least once a day, 91% browse the web at least once a day, 86% send SMS at least once a day

Less than half play games at least once a day

OEMs always advertise their camera but only about a third of users take photos every day

Top “how important is this feature?” is email followed by web browsing and apps – voice calls come 4th

If you rank not just by “essential” but by “essential or quite important” voice calls come 5th, GPS/maps takes the 4th place

Only 21% say that games are an essential feature on a smartphone

Apple/Android users have similar number of free apps but Apple users have more paid apps

Apple users spend the most per month on their phones – 29% spend over $100/month

Only 3% of Apple users have never paid for an app – compared to 12% of Android users (4x as many) and 26% of Blackberry users (9x as many)

http://www.swiftkey.net/what-do-smar...rs-really-want
  • Reply 223 of 239
    Quote:

I didn't intend to say no categories, rather not as categorized. And true, we have only one iDevice in the household, which isn't used nearly as often as it once was. Thanks for catching that misstatement Freckledbruh, and I'll take time to brush up on recent iTunes changes.

No worries. I had pointed it out a little earlier in this very long thread along with the genius feature.

Here's a funny tidbit. I had the original iphone up until this year. In the beginning, there were only web apps on Edge. When the app store opened, I didn't purchase/install ANY apps until the next year (2009) because I really didn't see a need for one as I had mostly used my phone for business (phone/emailing/calendaring/calculator/contacts/maps/web surfing). In fact, these uses haven't changed much. The iPad is a totally different beast though. Apps are a must (and not media consumption ones even though I have a few) for doing any work on it. Evernote, Noteshelf, iwork suite, idisk, goodreader, highrise, PS Express and more help my productivity greatly.
  • Reply 224 of 239
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You are probably right!

I've noticed that 2 or 3 people will sometimes descend on a thread, stir up a controversy, pass the "ball" around adding weight to their common opinion or agenda...

Most people realize when they are being patronized or abused in this way, and ignore or talk past the abusers...

But, it becomes tedious after a while.

No "paid staff" would waste time debating on AI. The problem is, anonymouse is convinced that the only people who think AI can be wrong on things are people paid by Google.

If AI didn't want to have people "stir up controversy" they'd stop posting crap about other operating systems in anything other than a Press release form.

DED practically begs to be trolled, and AI likes it. They get page views, and ad revenue, and get to pretend that having flame wars in their comments section makes them have an "active community"
  • Reply 225 of 239
    Not all Asians are Chinese and not all Chinese people possess the negative characteristics being ascribed to them by some posters here. Before making such gross generalizations, perhaps people should consider how they might sound if they employed an alternate one, say, "women", "Jew", or "African-American". I don't suspect that that level of rationale would get them very far...
  • Reply 226 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prokrustes View Post

Not all Asians are Chinese and not all Chinese people possess the negative characteristics being ascribed to them by some posters here. Before making such gross generalizations, perhaps people should consider how they might sound if they employed an alternate one, say, "women", "Jew", or "African-American". I don't suspect that that level of rationale would get them very far...

Welcome to the AI forums.

It would help if you would quote the posts, or any parts of the original article that you find offensive.

You can also report any specific post to the moderators by clicking the red flag under the poster's name in the left hand column.

That said, I didn't notice anything I thought offensive in this thread. I tend to skim-read, or ignore, posts from posters with an obvious agenda to be disruptive -- so I could have missed an offensive post.

Also, I tend to ignore hyphenated classifications of people as being rather pointless.

What are you supposed to call someone of pure Dutch descent whose ancestors of multiple generations were born in Africa... Dutch-African? African-Dutch? Dutch? African? Boer? Afrikaans?

For the record, I am of the Caucasian Race, of German, Dutch and Romanian Ancestry -- with some Jewish ancestry mixed in...

I consider myself to be a person, and an American -- no hyphens asserted or needed! (We German/Dutch are pretty stubborn about that...

Edit: If really pressed on the issue, I will admit to being a Piltdown-American.
  • Reply 227 of 239
    Quote:

It would help if you would quote the posts, or any parts of the original article that you find offensive.

You can also report any specific post to the moderators by clicking the red flag under the poster's name in the left hand column.

That said, I didn't notice anything I thought offensive in this thread. I tend to skim-read, or ignore, posts from posters with an obvious agenda to be disruptive -- so I could have missed an offensive post.

Also, I tend to ignore hyphenated classifications of people as being rather pointless.

What are you supposed to call someone of pure Dutch descent whose ancestors of multiple generations were born in Africa... Dutch-African? African-Dutch? Dutch? African? Boer? Afrikaans?

For the record, I am of the Caucasian Race, of German, Dutch and Romanian Ancestry -- with some Jewish ancestry mixed in...

I consider myself to be a person, and an American -- no hyphens asserted or needed! (We German/Dutch are pretty stubborn about that...

Edit: If really pressed on the issue, I will admit to being a Piltdown-American.

I'm African American (no hyphen). Perhaps you should take your cue from the person you are communicating with.
  • Reply 228 of 239
    Quote:

I'm African American (no hyphen). Perhaps you should take your cue from the person you are communicating with.

Touché! Common courtesy (and common sense) dictates that you are correct!
  • Reply 229 of 239
    Quote:

Thank you, Dick, it's nice to be here...

I've taken note of these types of remarks on AI with increasing frequency, but have avoided the temptation to comment on them until now. While it would certainly have made my argument stronger, I ultimately didn't feel the need to duplicate the statement(s) here. If I'm moved to do so again, however, I will definitely side towards your suggestion for clarity.
  • Reply 230 of 239
    Quote:

I've taken note of these types of remarks on AI with increasing frequency, but have avoided the temptation to comment on them until now. While it would certainly have made my argument stronger, I ultimately didn't feel the need to duplicate the statement(s) here. If I'm moved to do so again, however, I will definitely side towards your suggestion for clarity.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen any of those types of remarks on this particular thread BUT I have seen some on the Samsung articles regarding Koreans. Best thing to do is report the offending comment and put the bugger on ignore. Welcome to the forums!
  • Reply 231 of 239
    Quote:

For what it's worth, I haven't seen any of those types of remarks on this particular thread BUT I have seen some on the Samsung articles regarding Koreans. Best thing to do is report the offending comment and put the bugger on ignore. Welcome to the forums!

Good advice!

Yes, there were some particularly offensive posts on some of those threads -- I believe that many were reported, then removed.

It isn't always apparent when posts are removed -- they just kind of disappear. But sometimes the totals (number of posts) don't match the remaining number of posts.
  • Reply 232 of 239
    Quote:

One thing you can do if you want to highlight a post without actually reproducing it is:

Reply to the original which will create a response post that quotes, and links to the original. Then remove the offensive material from the quoted post. For example, if I found your post (above) to be offensive, I might reference it as below:

Quote:

I've taken note of these types of remarks on AI with increasing frequency

Then add something like: "If you find the above post to be offensive, please flag the post so the mods will remove it".

... just an example, here

The worst thing you can do is quote the original... it just perpetuates it and makes it harder for the mods to remove it.
  • Reply 233 of 239
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm got nothing against the Orientals, it's those damn Occidentals that piss me of.
  • Reply 234 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm got nothing against the Orientals, it's those damn Occidentals that piss me of.

The Northern Occidentals are OK, but...
  • Reply 235 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,515member
    Well, apparently I'm wrong about the proportion of apps downloaded by iOS users as opposed to those using Android. I was saying it was about 2:1. It's not. According to the latest study, it's 6:1!

Sorry for the error.

http://techpinions.com/ios-is-still-...evelopers/2439
  • Reply 236 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, apparently I'm wrong about the proportion of apps downloaded by iOS users as opposed to those using Android. I was saying it was about 2:1. It's not. According to the latest study, it's 6:1!

Sorry for the error.

http://techpinions.com/ios-is-still-...evelopers/2439

So now you find a survey you trust. Yes, I'll even agree with you tho perhaps not on those exact numbers. In any case iOS users have more apps downloaded on average than Android users, who still use a lot but not as many.

The encouraging part is the two words you strung together in your first sentence that I've never seen you write before now.

EDIT: This is a much better link if you wanted to make sure the "six times as many paid apps" was mentioned .

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/app...nes-2011-09-08
  • Reply 237 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Not saying this to offend you, but you really come off as being in denial about Android fragmentation, and that way failing to recognize the real reasons why Netflix isn't on your Galaxy Tab or why you have to root some devices to run Tegra games.

The point is: fragmentation is not just about what the hardware and software *can* do, but also what people companies and *actually do with it*. Like someone before me pointed out, Netflix has contracts that require them to warrant a certain level of security, and this takes time and money for each OS and each piece of hardware, so they decide to support only a few. . .

FWIW, the issue with Netflix was much more simple apparently. It's now available for Android devices with at least v2.2x, and that's almost all of them.

So much for a supposed DRM issue.
  • Reply 238 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So now you find a survey you trust. Yes, I'll even agree with you tho perhaps not on those exact numbers. In any case iOS users have more apps downloaded on average than Android users, who still use a lot but not as many.

The encouraging part is the two words you strung together in your first sentence that I've never seen you write before now.

EDIT: This is a much better link if you wanted to make sure the "six times as many paid apps" was mentioned .

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/app...nes-2011-09-08

It was the first one I saw. There are others now.
  • Reply 239 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FWIW, the issue with Netflix was much more simple apparently. It's now available for Android devices with at least v2.2x, and that's almost all of them.

So much for a supposed DRM issue.

I'm not all bad.

This supports that statement:

http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html