Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 61 of 641
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Makes sense. This does seem kind of lazy for an 18-month wait. I'll probably end up buying one anyway though.

I don't know if redesigning the outside of the phone makes sense from a business standpoint when you have to do it every year. It would be a nice to have but for me it's not a make or break.
  • Reply 62 of 641
    Nexus Prime is coming... now is the moment of the SuperPhone...
  • Reply 63 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    All this whining amazes me. I realize that there are a lot of people who like nothing better than attacking Apple, but this is absurd.

The new phone has:

- much faster processor

- much faster data speeds

- new antenna

- greatly improved camera

- incredible voice recognition

- Improved software

- World phone capability

- up to twice the storage capacity

In fact, virtually everything is new except the case.

Yet everyone is whining "we didn't get anything new - just a faster iPhone). So do you use your phone to make calls or access the internet - or do you spend all your time staring at the case? It's funny that it's the Apple haters who are spending the most time focusing on the package rather than what's inside.

It's a great update - whether they called it iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 or Swiss Cheese.
  • Reply 64 of 641
    I don't get why people are upset about the screen - Bigger screens either mean less pixel density or bigger resolution. Apps are not going to be rewritten for this yet.

Apple made the right call, if it is a little deflating after some of the lead up predictions. But that's all they were.

I'll be replacing my 3gs with iPhone 4s next Friday, and that makes me quite happy.
  • Reply 65 of 641
    Please take a look at this before you jump to any conclusions about anything.

It was live updating during the event

http://live.thisismynext.com/event/a...vent_live_blog
  • Reply 66 of 641
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

Looks like fixing the rough edges on the existing iPhone.

You can't have game-changing innovation with every release, kids. Don't get greedy.

Are you kidding me? The shape of the phone is not 'game changing innovation', and that is unfortunately what everyone has fixated upon: the form factor.

Siri and iCloud are game changers - it's really sad how few people have the capacity to grasp that.
  • Reply 67 of 641
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,965member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

what a crock. Let the stock slide begin.

Yes, and watch the sales skyrocket. Apple is just like that.
  • Reply 68 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

So after all this time we get a faster iPhone 4. Wow. Maybe the iPhone hardware team we're on an extended break or something, as this is incredibly lazy stuff.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

So what's the most important feature to have? A new design?

Agree - seems like people expected a holographic display powered by a quantum singularity. (Sorry, just watched a ST:Voyager episode last night!)

This was and is a market-leading phone, and with iOS5 (with iCloud and Siri baked right in) it maintain's Apple's incredible user experience over Android.

Period.
  • Reply 69 of 641
    does anybody how much the 4s has? i am guess it's the same since they did not mention it.
  • Reply 70 of 641
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Nice improvements but seems most come from iOS rather than earth shattering hardware. Will most likely upgrade as I am due so we will see what comes next year.

Tom
  • Reply 71 of 641
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    18 months and in the end no redesign?! Maybe next year...
  • Reply 72 of 641
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Looks like Steve got going while the going was good.

No new iPhone after a year and a half. WTF?
  • Reply 73 of 641
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,965member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

All this whining amazes me. I realize that there are a lot of people who like nothing better than attacking Apple, but this is absurd.

It's a great update - whether they called it iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 or Swiss Cheese.

Amen, j. Do you think if they'd just called it the "5" there'd be about half as much whining?
  • Reply 74 of 641
    So is it only 4G-Like on an HSPDA+ network? So let's say I'm on CDMA (VZW)

1. Will I get 14.4 down?

2. Will I still be limited to talk THEN surf (unlike AT&T) ?

The whole reason everyone was griping about a lack of LTE is that LTE is FASTER than 14.4 and also allowed talk and surf.
  • Reply 75 of 641
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    I'm still using a factory-unlocked 3GS and am sorely tempted to buy a plain iPhone4 but will probably end up with the 4S. The camera is tempting to be used as a P&S, especially if it comes anywhere near my Nikon D40 (also have a D700 but no point-n-shoot).

The 64GB is welcome as the 8MP images and 1080 video files are going to be huge compared to 5MP and 720 video. Also useful as temporary storage for my dSLRs for when I don't have the iPad with me.

Tough decision to make in the next two days and if I succumb to temptation, I shall pre-order factory unlocked for delivery on 14 Oct 2011.
  • Reply 76 of 641
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    No excuse here. That is a let down.
  • Reply 77 of 641
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

THIS IS ALL WRONG. Omg

And 4 months late!!

Now anyone who buys will be locked into at least 1 1/2 years of a contract with a 4S?

No way!
  • Reply 78 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

This phone is obsolete on arrival.

8 mpx, face recognition, voice command, notifications, "4G-like"?

Wow. All of these was available on HTC EVO 4G 1.5 years ago

1.5 years ago? which carriers had that service? i bet most of times it would just be in 3g speed.
  • Reply 79 of 641
    What a let down. Did they really need a big announcement for this???

I love Apple but I'm not blindly in love with them like some of the people here that are getting offended people are disappointed. The iPhone 4 has been out a long time for a smart phone. A boost in speed and better camera??? What a bummer. Sorry Apple, but I'm not biting on this one. I really wanted a bigger screen...even if it was just a little bigger.
  • Reply 80 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Considering Apple just squeezed a world phone, 8MP 1080p video and a voice assistant into a package which is still thinner than any android handset I guess that makes android phones all fat bricks.

Fat ass Fandroids love fat bricks.