iPhone 4S launch draws crowds at Apple stores around the world

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Siri must be having a hard time understanding your accent. Try speaking American, and ask it dumber questions.

lol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Could try putting on some weight too. You never know.

and lol.

Let's not turn this into a USA vs. UK thing
  • Reply 62 of 79
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Oh and absolutebs? Even with you on ignore you fill half the page. If you don't get it, and have nothing to say, that is what you should say. Nothing. STFU.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Oh and absolutebs? Even with you on ignore you fill half the page. If you don't get it, and have nothing to say, that is what you should say. Nothing. STFU.

Or instead of being a little pussy because someone doesn't always agree with your point of view and offers rebuttals to constant misinformation about a competing platform and its users you could simply answer how I am possibly a troll.

If you want people who think just like you all the time avoid the real world, find an Apple blog that doesn't have 50% of it's articles about things NOT Apple thereby knowingly(?) causing an influx of non Apple fanatics, and or join a cult.

Someone quote me for him...please
  • Reply 64 of 79
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Got mine! Great phone but disappointed that a lot of the Siri functionality isn't available in the UK yet.

The only functionality that isn't working yet is finding places outside of the US. As such, looking for place to eat, theatre, hotel here in Canada is out of the question for now.

Taking notes, querying the web or your address book, or making appointments etc., works well. However, showing it off by asking whether I will need an umbrella this Sunday in front of anyone who hasn't seen it in action more than makes up for the limitation for now.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

The only functionality that isn't working yet is finding places outside of the US. As such, looking for place to eat, theatre, hotel here in Canada is out of the question for now.

It's weird. I ask it what the time is and it says that it doesn't have any information for my current location. Surely it can just check the time set on the phone?
  • Reply 66 of 79
    Out of curiosity, did you work for Dame Dash?

I've never waited in line for an Apple product but I can see why some people would. Personally, I'd rather wait to receive it by mail on the same day than wait hours in line. Mine is currently out for delivery so I'll go home and pick it up on my lunch probably.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

So true, so very true. I like Apple in the yesteryears. Not in the product sense but in the exclusivity of it. Before it was like now it was like

I don't really think of it in terms of exclusivity (which conjures up images of nightclubs intentionally fabricating long lineups as a marketing gimmick).

I think of it more in terms of the fact that buying an Apple product wasn't really "the norm" until the past 5 years. So the people in these lines at that time tended to be creative types and/or more independent thinkers. Those types of people generally have an irreverence and desire to play with societal norms (i.e. what people "should" be doing in a lineup). Which makes it much more fun IMO.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Supreme View Post

Out of curiosity, did you work for Dame Dash?

I've never waited in line for an Apple product but I can see why some people would. Personally, I'd rather wait to receive it by mail on the same day than wait hours in line. Mine is currently out for delivery so I'll go home and pick it up on my lunch probably.

Nah my boss did. He hated Dame. Lol
  • Reply 69 of 79
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

It's weird. I ask it what the time is and it says that it doesn't have any information for my current location. Surely it can just check the time set on the phone?

Give it time. Everyone/thing needs it to learn.

If you asked Siri, "What time is it in London England, it will tell you. If you asked Siri to find restaurants in London, it can't tell you.

If you asked it to find restaurants near Piccadilly Circus, it can't, however, you asked Siri to find them on the "web", it will.

Remember, Siri is beta.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

does Siri work as well as it seems? Cause Siri was the most wonderful thing at the keynote.

Siri is absolutely amazing. I've dictated text messages and had her play individual songs in my huge music library.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Siri is absolutely amazing. I've dictated text messages and had her play individual songs in my huge music library.

I knew it'd be awesome. I was waiting for Google to expand on their voice actions Apple beat them at their own game...then banged their mom afterwards. lol
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

I was at the Apple Store in Hamburg Jungfernstieg earlier today. Arrived at about 6.45am to find probably 400-500 people lined up outside the store. Had to stand in queue more than 2 hours, but finally got my hands on a white 16GB version around 9am. Probably before those who preordered!

Wow. That's a lot of people.

By the way, I thought Samsung was going to get iPhone sales banned in Germany...
  • Reply 73 of 79
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

At first blush, that would seem to be an obvious answer...just look at the time on my device. But then again, who's to say your device is set to the time zone you are currently in?
  • Reply 74 of 79
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

did apple stores start selling the droid bionic? what's with all the lines?

Indeed. Apparently a whole lot of folks didn't get the memo

I hope someone got a phone of the line of like 50 folks hoping to get a $2 Galaxy whatever at the Samsung store in Sydney, with the line of like 500 lined up on the other side of the street
  • Reply 75 of 79
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

No. It's not a tailgate party at all. Tailgates are quite social and loud.

I think it depends on where the store is. Big ones out on the street where there are 1000s in line are probably not very social on a noticeable scale.

But at the mall closest to me in LA, it's very social. People will see folks they know either from mall walking or the neighborhood. There's a lot of Studio folks in the area and they know each other from working on this or that. People are happy to save spots in line, grab a coffee for someone, loudly demand that someone take the bottle of water or the granola bar.

Sometimes I go down just to watch the chaos but this time I was coming off a big overnight shoot and needed sleep.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

This will always be retarded to me, but I guess it's probably an event I'd have to be there to understand.

Then again...as someone who isn't fanatic about anything (I use to work around celebrities when I was out of college and my boss was shocked and how little fuck I gave) I doubt I could possibly understand.

But yea...in other news...water is wet -_- lol

Actually, I'm more surprised your boss cared about such things. Anyone who has been around enough "celebrities" for a while begins to despise most of them.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Actually, I'm more surprised your boss cared about such things. Anyone who has been around enough "celebrities" for a while begins to despise most of them.

Depending on the celebrity. These new age super cocky wanna be diva people are so annoying and aside from $$$ most people I know don't really care for them. I hear Jay-Z is a real down to earth guy but someone like Dame Dash or Kanye are annoying as fuck.

End of the day they're people though. I'm sure results vary as in everyday life.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I waited about 45 minutes, had my cake and ate it too! Went to the telco shop since the Apple Store had like hundreds of people and everyone was *wwaaaay* too hyped up.

Last time I'm gonna post this pic, I swear.

• Reply 79 of 79
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melvinyeo1 View Post

Come on brothers, stop complaining about the Siri disappointed you because she doesnt understands you in UK. Apple has stated that it is still in beta version so I am sure they gonna update very soon.

After fiddling around it seems my accent is closest to UK English for voice recognition. Not "twangy" enough to be Australian and not 'Merican enough to be American.

"Siri, would you please be a dear and pour me a delightful cup of tea, please. Jolly good..."

Ironically maybe UKers are having trouble because nobody speaks like that anymore.