Steve Jobs told biographer he 'cracked' the secret to a simple HDTV

Comments

• Reply 41 of 197
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Introducing yet another device that is, again, a remote? That doesn't sound right for two reasons: (1) that's clunky, and (2) Steve mentioned the simplest interface imaginable. Well, the answer to number two is more likely voice control, rather than more touch interfaces or devices.

Thompson

Siri for TV would / could be useful except you'd be fighting for Siri's ear(s) with the damn TV. But Siri in you iPad / iPhone could integrate nicely using airplay.

Mind you, its hard to beat the simplicity of the Apple remote.

"Siri, is there any Baseball on?"

Siri replies with a display of options and times on the iPad / iPhone.

"Any particular game you want"... etc
  • Reply 42 of 197
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's odd though, because given Apple's (Steve's) legendary secretiveness you'd almost have to think that speaking on record about such a thing was a sign they had decided not to go forward.

That, or Steve's illness and sense of looming mortality made him more inclined to talk candidly about projects he knew he would never get to introduce himself.

Odd enough. Perhaps this is Jobs' way of sustaining the aura around Apple, of ensuring that everyone continues to believe truly novel breakthrough products (and not just future generations of iPhones and iPads) are indeed in the pipeline.
  • Reply 43 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Count me in the group that thinks an Apple branded HDTV is inevitable within the next 5 years.

Five? Now way. Less than two.
  • Reply 44 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Count me in the group that thinks it's uninevitable? evitable? Anyway, I could see Apple licensing "iCloud Connected" HDTVs and other HEC appliances to vendors but I don't see them lining their small stores with big ass TVs.

Not that much space. It would just be for three TV's. Considering how many iPods and iPads they have, I'm sure they could ditch a few for just three big screen tv's.
  • Reply 45 of 197
    Apple HDTV will be launched in December
  • Reply 46 of 197
    As someone who is a professed Apple fanboi, this is not good news as I would seriously want one.
  • Reply 47 of 197
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

As someone who is a professed Apple fanboi, this is not good news as I would seriously want one.

I know..I'm all set to buy a new HDTV next year but i'm thinking.

A. Should I wait?

B. Can I even afford Apple as my HDTV set?
  • Reply 48 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by khanzain View Post

No, we heard it HERE first.

And no, we didn't hear it. Because that's about the stupidest month imaginable for any product release, much less a nonexistent HDTV.
  • Reply 49 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, we heard it HERE first.

And no, we didn't hear it. Because that's about the stupidest month imaginable for any product release, much less a nonexistent HDTV.

Thank you for catching the spelling mistake.

But, again, December is the month.
  • Reply 50 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

I'm not sure that I see Apple getting into the TV business either, but every time I use my f*&^%O&*ing Philips, I wish they did. Slow to turn on, terrible OSD, slow channel changing, etc. What an annoying POS. It's certainly something Apple would never have allowed out the door. Which is a great example of why Apple is Apple and the other companies just don't get it.

There are so many issues with the current HEC system that I am sure JOb's idea of "cracked" isn't simply adding TVs with a built-in AppleTV UI. That's the first thing one considers before facturing costs, profits and logistics. For Jobs to say "cracked" the answer isnt doing what others have been doing for years unsuccessfully.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Not that much space. It would just be for three TV's. Considering how many iPods and iPads they have, I'm sure they could ditch a few for just three big screen tv's.

??? One 50" TV takes up the shelf space of dozens of highly profitable iPhones and iPads. I can't see Apple sacrificing their store room space for these.

Why 3? we limit notebooks and handheld devices because of our limitations, but a wall is much more giving. What if I want a 12" in the kitchen and bathroom, 20" in the guest bedroom and den, 40" in the bedrooms and 60" in the living rooms. TV dispatch ranges vary a lot more than with other electronics for a reason. Even PCs have a seemingly infinite number of display sizes that nan be attached. This is part of the nut Apple would have to crack.
  • Reply 51 of 197
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jay-t View Post

I guess the only thing that stops Apple from releasing these new TVs are the movies in the cloud deals that we are hearing about. Once these deals are closed the new Apple TV will be revealed.

Just my 2 cents.

TV Subscription.
  • Reply 52 of 197
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I for one don't think an Apple branded TV would be a good move for Apple. Its a market where the race to the bottom is key... Apple would not be able to compete on price.

A television is like a digital photo frame. A stupid device intended to just show a picture. Nothing more. Every keeps trying to "reinvent" this device by keep adding all kinds of crap to it.

Besides, can you imagine people bringing a huge Apple television to the Genius bar... It would be comical sight.
  • Reply 53 of 197
    Everyone makes a TV today. But none of the TVs stand out in any way, from a user interface perspective. They all try to out do each other with a fancy spec here or a fancy spec there. Or let's add in 43 different input types, or create a remote with a thousand buttons that nobody can figure out.

Apple can help re-think that. What do you want your TV for? To watch your TV shows and music, right? If Apple can make a dead simple TV that can do that with a simple interface that ties in nicely with your iOS devices and computers, they would get a ton of interest.

In your living room is a TV that plugs into the power outlet. That's it. O.K, maybe an ethernet jack, but not a million interface ports on it. Want games? Your iPod is the controller. Want videos? They are on your computer or downloaded over the internet.

Apple does a great job of scrapping old, dead technology. This is the natural next step.
  • Reply 54 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

television is ripe for disruption.

FL is right, Apple won't do a TV unless it can change the game - and the all rules - so they can dominate the new market they would create, just like the way the iPad does today.

The game changer is to eliminate the complex remote. Replace it with Siri.

Think a full blown OSX Mac - built into a cable ready wide-screen - driven by Siri. (Mouse & keyboard are optional)

Siri is the key, it's the interface of the future and Siri is what will drive development of revolutionary Apple devices.

Siri is the next killer app, I mean, imagine how well Siri well perform 3 years from now.

Wow!
  • Reply 55 of 197
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I for one don't think an Apple branded TV would be a good move for Apple. Its a market where the race to the bottom is key... Apple would not be able to compete on price.

A television is like a digital photo frame. A stupid device intended to just show a picture. Nothing more. Every keeps trying to "reinvent" this device by keep adding all kinds of crap to it.

Besides, can you imagine people bringing a huge Apple television to the Genius bar... It would be comical sight.

I think the TV market parallels other markets almost exactly.

You want a low cost TV you buy a Westinghouse or low end Visio. You want cream of the crop you by a Samsung or a Sharp. Entering the market doesn't make Apple nor anyone else beholden to approaching the low end with product.

A questions to ask yourself "why is Apple integrating Bluetooth 4.0 into new products?"
  • Reply 56 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's odd though, because given Apple's (Steve's) legendary secretiveness you'd almost have to think that speaking on record about such a thing was a sign they had decided not to go forward.

That, or Steve's illness and sense of looming mortality made him more inclined to talk candidly about projects he knew he would never get to introduce himself.

That, or Issacson missed the part where Steve said, "Off the record,..."
  • Reply 57 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by khanzain View Post

That would be weird timing. Holiday shopping gets big in November. But football is a big driver of TV sales, so I guess any time before mid January is at least sort of reasonable.

If they are launcing a TV, Nov/Dec timing would make the iPhone adjustment to October seem wrong. Apple likes to stagger products around the calendar. You'd think they would either have kept the phones in June or done the TV then. Doing both in Q1 just doesn't seem right.
  • Reply 58 of 197
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think the TV market parallels other markets almost exactly.

You want a low cost TV you buy a Westinghouse or low end Visio. You want cream of the crop you by a Samsung or a Sharp. Entering the market doesn't make Apple nor anyone else beholden to approaching the low end with product.

A questions to ask yourself "why is Apple integrating Bluetooth 4.0 into new products?"

Why are the integrating Bluetooth 4.0. Don't know. I hope it isn't for a TV though.

The high end television market is loaded with top end sets that offer tons of expandability, big screens, and big price drops... Apple won't be able to compete in this space... They just won't.
  • Reply 59 of 197
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Quote:

Why are the integrating Bluetooth 4.0. Don't know. I hope it isn't for a TV though.

The high end television market is loaded with top end sets that offer tons of expandability, big screens, and big price drops... Apple won't be able to compete in this space... They just won't.

People said the exact same thing before and after Apple announced the iPhone. Phones were getting cheaper and cheaper and more and more gimmicky and it was a race to the bottom. Smartphones were a growth area, but everyone knew it was dominated by a few key players who couldn't be displaced and whose business models were sacrosanct. Even today, look at the Android vendors in the smartphone market competing, seemingly, for who can make the least amount of money from selling the highest number of units. Decidedly a race to the bottom there, and one which Apple is able to ably avoid.

I imagine genius appointments and analysis of any such TVs would be done remotely, much as they are (or are intending) to do with iPhones/iPads. If and when the problem is determined to be a hardware problem and not a software issue, then they can arrange for pickup or something.
  • Reply 60 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

FL is right, Apple won't do a TV unless it can change the game - and the all rules - so they can dominate the new market they would create, just like the way the iPad does today.

The game changer is to eliminate the complex remote. Replace it with Siri.

Think a full blown OSX Mac - built into a cable ready wide-screen - driven by Siri. (Mouse & keyboard are optional)

Siri is the key, it's the interface of the future and Siri is what will drive development of revolutionary Apple devices.

Siri is the next killer app, I mean, imagine how well Siri well perform 3 years from now.

Wow!

One more thing, Your Siri "Apple TV" is also a server, and with Siri enabled flat-panels in every room, you could access all your data, no matter where you are in your house - simply by speaking.

Wow!