Steve Jobs told biographer he 'cracked' the secret to a simple HDTV

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

imo they are waiting to launch it on the next iteration of ATV.

Same here, just not in the way you're thinking.

Quote:

At some point they will have to provide that service.

Not in the slightest.
  • Reply 182 of 197
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

If you want to talk about business sense then Apple should not pursue a TV set in the first place. Especially if you already think it will not have the best specs and cost premium price.

Define premium price? By best specs you mean they wouldn't use a screen technology that I personal prefer and it wouldn't beat products by a company who no longer makes TV's ?
  • Reply 183 of 197
    Quote:

I wonder if that will be enough to persuade tons of people to pay high price for an AIO device that comes under the premise the ATV box installed inside might go outdate after 2 years or so... We'll find out if ever happens.

Well, given their prices are getting better and better they may be able to price it lower than we might guess, and they would make more profit I'd bet than they might make from 4 Apple TV's - so in that case the argument that you wouldn't replace it couple of years doesn't matter.

What's more; I see the TV business for Apple much like the phone business was for them, in that if they don't do this someone else will, and they will make the Apple TV box irrelevant. Apple's job is for them to be the ones who make the Apple TV box irrelevant, and give the customer a true end-to-end all-in-one it-just-works experience. Just like the way iPhones are making iPods irrelevant for a lot of people.
  • Reply 184 of 197
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well, given their prices are getting better and better they may be able to price it lower than we might guess, and they would make more profit I'd bet than they might make from 4 Apple TV's - so in that case the argument that you wouldn't replace it couple of years doesn't matter.

What's more; I see the TV business for Apple much like the phone business was for them, in that if they don't do this someone else will, and they will make the Apple TV box irrelevant. Apple's job is for them to be the ones who make the Apple TV box irrelevant, and give the customer a true end-to-end all-in-one it-just-works experience. Just like the way iPhones are making iPods irrelevant for a lot of people.

you are funny. Of course moving large quantities of hardware is important to Apple. They can move millions of $99 boxes if they can show real value to the public.

TVs are a much harder proposition. First due the high price. Second consumers don't update their TVs at the same pace they would with a small and cheap ATV boxes.

Finally and probably most important Apple needs to figure out how to acquire tons of content, way more than what they current have available to excite people to see real value on iTunes and then an AppleTV or Television. Ideally people would like drop their current cable/satellite providers for something of value. Most people pay lots of $$ for hundreds of channels and content they do not want. If Apple can forge some sort of system that can bring what consumers want to watch at lower prices, that will be a huge change for the industry.

You keep referring to a "end-to-end all-in-one it-just-works experience". Why this cannot be done with ATV? Sure it can and at $99 price point is a perfect solution and also easy to attract consumers in large quantities.
  • Reply 185 of 197
    Quote:

You keep referring to a "end-to-end all-in-one it-just-works experience". Why this cannot be done with ATV? Sure it can and at $99 price point is a perfect solution and also easy to attract consumers in large quantities.

Because the Apple TV is yet another box. Those are not just my words, Steve Jobs said the same thing at the D conference in 2009/2008. With the box you're still left with several devices (at least two), several remotes (at least two), several inputs (at least two), and several UIs (at least two). It's too confusing, it's too messy, it's too fiddley and it's just all-round inelegant and un-Apple.

By Apple making an actual TV you end up with no inputs, one remote, one TV, cool hardware design and superb software design. With that and the right content it's a no-brainer.
  • Reply 186 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Because the Apple TV is yet another box. Those are not just my words, Steve Jobs said the same thing at the D conference in 2009/2008. With the box you're still left with several devices (at least two), several remotes (at least two), several inputs (at least two), and several UIs (at least two). It's too confusing, it's too messy, it's too fiddley and it's just all round inelegant and un-Apple.

By Apple making an actual TV you end up with no inputs, one remote, one TV, cool hardware design and superb software design. With that and the right content it's a no-brainer.

He said cable was entrenched and disjointed. If you are serious about the AppleTV being 'in' the TV would somehow not have any inputs how do you get cable, sat., DVD, Blu-ray, game consoles ? each requiring an input and having their own UI ? connected to your TV? I you say they will be inputs for those appliances then you right back to "it's too confusing, it's too messy, it's too fiddley and it's just all round inelegant and un-Apple."
  • Reply 187 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He said cable was entrenched and disjointed. If you are serious about the AppleTV being 'in' the TV would somehow not have any inputs how do you get cable, sat., DVD, Blu-ray, game consoles ? each requiring an input and having their own UI ? connected to your TV? I you say they will be inputs for those appliances then you right back to "it's too confusing, it's too messy, it's too fiddley and it's just all round inelegant and un-Apple."

Congrats on 25,000!

Wish I had something more to input about the actual post conte?OH, got something.

Like I figured in my Apple TV vision, any further meddling Apple does in the TV realm would be to remove the need for those extra boxes entirely, making televisions (all from third-parties and not Apple itself at all ever) with more than one HDMI port redundant and silly. All anyone would ever want or need is to connect their television to an Apple TV, and boom; everything you've ever received from any of your myriad other boxes in one place.

?

Okay, maybe TVs will have two HDMI ports. One for the Apple TV and one for your chosen game console.

Because we all know they'll never do another Pippin.
  • Reply 188 of 197
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    I think one of the points that many are missing is that the HDTV is becoming more than just a device to watch video content from studios.

I see areas of opportunity everywhere via the integration of a computer into the HDTV.

1. Surveillance

2. Presentations (running keynote right from the HDTV

3. Advertising Signage

4. Secondary computer display

5. Education (smart board like capabilities)

I think if Apple rolls out something it's going to straddle a few different markets nicely reducing the total reliance on consumer uptake.
  • Reply 189 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He said cable was entrenched and disjointed. If you are serious about the AppleTV being 'in' the TV would somehow not have any inputs how do you get cable, sat., DVD, Blu-ray, game consoles — each requiring an input and having their own UI — connected to your TV?

No inputs. One remote. One TV. Wireless. iTV.

Inputs? Well - optical audio, Ethernet, support USB.
  • Reply 190 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Congrats on 25,000!

Wish I had something more to input about the actual post conte–OH, got something.

Like I figured in my Apple TV vision, any further meddling Apple does in the TV realm would be to remove the need for those extra boxes entirely, making televisions (all from third-parties and not Apple itself at all ever) with more than one HDMI port redundant and silly. All anyone would ever want or need is to connect their television to an Apple TV, and boom; everything you've ever received from any of your myriad other boxes in one place.

Okay, maybe TVs will have two HDMI ports. One for the Apple TV and one for your chosen game console.

Because we all know they'll never do another Pippin.

No bloody inputs! iTV will be the Apple TV. ITV will be the game console.
  • Reply 191 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think one of the points that many are missing is that the HDTV is becoming more than just a device to watch video content from studios.

I see areas of opportunity everywhere via the integration of a computer into the HDTV.

1. Surveillance

2. Presentations (running keynote right from the HDTV

3. Advertising Signage

4. Secondary computer display

5. Education (smart board like capabilities)

I think if Apple rolls out something it's going to straddle a few different markets nicely reducing the total reliance on consumer uptake.

You're right, but I think you meant encouraging consumer uptake?
  • Reply 192 of 197
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs previewed Apple TV in September 2006. I acquired apple-tv.com in July 2006. I said Apple will build an all-in-one TV one day, I thought it was going to happen far sooner. You are dead wrong about me on this one.

I remember you from back then too, spamming the threads with stolen mockups, pushing your business site in your sig, etc. That you're a domain squatter seems par for the course.

As far as your sig goes, I stand by my statement. An Apple TV with no other inputs is pretty stupid as there's simply too much content that it wont have to make it a viable HDTV without at least ONE HDMI input.

Like game consoles.

Like cable/sat content locked to a provider for years

Like blu-ray/dvd collections folks already own.

My prediction is that Apple will license AirPlay to TV manufacturers. They'll set minimum UI and performance standards for AirPlay like one button access.

Once you have that, then every TV will be an Apple TV if you own an iOS device and you can get any panel you prefer. It also gives apple total control over the UI since it'll be on the iOS device. Apple can use Siri or just touch depending on the device.

That's one way to crack the TV problem.
  • Reply 193 of 197
    Thinking about it my prediction for Apple branded HDTVs look like this:

Dorm/Den TV

32" or 37" HDTV - 1080p, 802.11N, AirPlay, 1 x TB in and 1 x TB out, 1 x HDMI, combo 1/8" and TOSlink in, combo 1/8" and TOSlink out. aTV built in for standalone use. IPS Panel.

Intended for the dorm or home office and acts as both TV and monitor for MBA as well as for AirPlay. Smaller TVs tend to get used most in these areas as secondary TVs.

Main TV

50"+ HDTV - same as above, just bigger. Not likely to get used as a monitor so the TB out might get dropped but you might as well leave it in.

Maybe BT will be included.
  • Reply 194 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

I remember you from back then too, spamming the threads with stolen mockups, pushing your business site in your sig, etc. That you're a domain squatter seems par for the course.

Stolen mockups? You're a fucking liar.

Domain squatter? Look, if Apple wanted the domain back I'd have to give it to them, and I would. That's not a domain squatter, dude. I was originally going to set it up as a blog about this exact subject. Why they need to build and TV and why they may eventually do it, etc. But I was too busy to put my energy behind it and if it never came to pass I'd have wasted a long time on something that would be ultimately of no use to anyone. So I didn't do it.

And adding my domain in my footer? I'm mean, how dare I.

You're first point was a lie, and you're other points are wrong and idiotic. You truly are a sad person.
  • Reply 195 of 197
    Quote:

Stolen mockups? You're a fucking liar.

Dude, you posted mockups without attribution and basked in the warm glow of folks posting "nice mockup". I remember reading that back then then looking at the originals and going hey, that's pretty cheap. You got called on that and spamming your shamrock site, which is more than just putting your domain in your sig. You were fighting with someone at the time which was pretty common back then. You had your own mockups too but they weren't the really nice rendered images you were posting.

Heh, back when we actually got excited about new mac hardware, even speed bumps. Man that seems so long ago now and it's only really a few years.

Does anyone else remember Rolo? The original "Apple TV is coming THIS YEAR!" guy.

CONFIRMED!
  • Reply 196 of 197
    Let's? leave the personal attacks to e-mails back and forth between one another.

I don't mean PMs, I mean e-mails. "Take it outside", in essence.
  • Reply 197 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Let's… leave the personal attacks to e-mails back and forth between one another.

I don't mean PMs, I mean e-mails. "Take it outside", in essence.

He's got me in his sig. I'm just wondering if he'll man up if he's wrong in his sig as well. Something he hasn't answered eh?