Apple building prototype televisions for potential 2012 launch - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As rumors of an Apple television set pick up steam, one new report claims that the company is already building prototype models for a launch potentially as soon as late 2012.

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray revealed in a note to investors on Monday that a source close to an Asian component supplier claimed in September that Apple was building prototype models of its rumored high-definition television set.

Munster has long been a believer that Apple will enter the television market, saying as far back as February 2009 that he believed the company was working on a major entrance into the living room. He sees Apple building an all-in-one, Internet-connected television set with access to the App Store and iTunes content.

If Apple were to launch a TV set in late 2012, he believes it would add about 3 percent to the company's revenue in 2013. With a projected 220 million flat panel TVs to be sold in 2012, 48 percent, or 106 million, will be Internet-connected devices, and he sees Apple selling 1.4 million of those.

With the addition of iCloud and Siri voice control, Munster believes Apple is even more prepared to launch an HDTV in the coming years. With iCloud, users could access TV shows, pictures, and potentially moves, while Siri could "simplify the chore of inputting information like show titles, or actor names, into a TV."

Munster also met with sources in Asia in January of this year, where he heard word that Apple is investing in manufacturing facilities and securing supply for LCD displays. The company is said to have invested in screen sizes of up to 50 inches for a potential television set.

Rumors of an Apple-built HDTV began to pick up steam once again last week, when it was revealed that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs told his biographer that he had "cracked' the secret to building an integrated, easy-to-use television set. He said the device "will have the simplest user interface you could imagine."

Apple is currently in the set-top box market with its $99 Apple TV, but the company has famously referred to its interest in that market as a "hobby." The Apple TV allows users to purchase content from iTunes, while new features like wireless AirPlay mirroring have been added with recent software updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 193
    Ugh…

Any Apple HDTV would have to be CHEAPER than competitors' models, and I just don't see how that'd happen and keep the usual Apple hardware flair.

And the usual Apple hardware profit margins.
  • Reply 2 of 193
    I don't think it will be cheaper. That's not Apple's style. It will be an awesome set.
  • Reply 3 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

I don't think it will be cheaper. That's not Apple's style. It will be an awesome set.

It has to be competitively priced or no one will buy it.

And they can't cut prices too much or they won't make any money on it.
  • Reply 4 of 193
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    No doubt it will have an Apple Remote, which I hate. There is no way on earth they will make a full remote, you will need to use an App and who wants to find their iOS device/ launch an app to change channel.
  • Reply 5 of 193
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did the example above show that it would be competitive? Beyond that, all of Apple products are typically priced above the competition. I think they would do very well in competing with other high quality televisions, like the Elite line from Panasonic. Selling a high quality product and once again not participating in the "race to the bottom" strategy.
  • Reply 6 of 193
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

No doubt it will have an Apple Remote, which I hate. There is no way on earth they will make a full remote, you will need to use an App and who wants to find their iOS device/ launch an app to change channel.

I don't see the problem at all with using an iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote. The whole point is to get away from those googletv-esque monstrosities.
  • Reply 7 of 193
    Quote:

This is why SJ was a visionary and you are not. You are not looking past what you already know.
  • Reply 8 of 193
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    I don't think we'll talk to the TV itself, but to our iOS device(s) that will then command the 'TV' what to do.

This would also allow several people to control one device. Parent could request a show is downloaded in the background (from anywhere on Earth of course), whilst a youngster could instruct it to launch a game. Hopefully, Apple will buy OnLive and embed that service in Apple 'smart' TV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I don't see the problem at all with using an iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote. The whole point is to get away from those googletv-esque monstrosities.

• Reply 9 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

This is why SJ was a visionary and you are not. You are not looking past what you already know.

if you think: click/up/click/down/right/right/right/select is some kind of genius UI paradigm then I don't know what to say.
  • Reply 10 of 193
    ...is why they would bother embedding all of this stuff into a full HDTV instead of just beefing up Apple TV?

No, people don't want a bunch of cables & boxes, but if Apple TV was capable of everything they're talking about, it would just be the existing HDTV + ONE box/remote. That seems pretty reasonable, especially since so many people already shelled out for a brand-new HDTV within the past 5 years.

WIth cellphones, the problem was with both the hardware *and* the software. With HDTV's, the problem with isn't the hardware itself, it's the software & service providers.
  • Reply 11 of 193
    oh and maybe the Apple Remote will distinguish between devices? My MBP listens to the same one as my AppleTV, is there anyway to fix that?
  • Reply 12 of 193
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Ugh?

Any Apple HDTV would have to be CHEAPER than competitors' models, and I just don't see how that'd happen and keep the usual Apple hardware flair.

I think that it has already been shown that people will pay more for the Apple brand. Apple has not built it's brand on edging out competitors with cheaper products, but instead better products.
  • Reply 13 of 193
    Quote:

if you think: click/up/click/down/right/right/right/select is some kind of genius UI paradigm then I don't know what to say.

Again, you are relating only to what you know. You are convinced that it can only being done with an existing method.
  • Reply 14 of 193
    Quote:

Ugh…

Hey I believe had a discussion with you about this on 07-31-2011. And you were adamant that Apple would never release an Apple HDTV

hehe
  • Reply 15 of 193
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    I don't see the benefit of a stand-alone set. Better hookup device to replace a cable box etc yes.

Everything built into a home theatre receiver type device makes better sense to me. M'eh, I'm not 'the crazy one' though.
  • Reply 16 of 193
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

oh and maybe the Apple Remote will distinguish between devices? My MBP listens to the same one as my AppleTV, is there anyway to fix that?

Oh my god! You're right! It's broken and can never be fixed!! Shut down the factories, halt development!!
  • Reply 17 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Oh my god! You're right! It's broken and can never be fixed!! Shut down the factories, halt development!!

holy crap, and to think I've been called a fanboy - I hope you're never allowed into the wild.
  • Reply 18 of 193
    I don't think Apple's stool can afford another hobby leg, TVs are white goods that really don't translate to Apple's philosophy.
  • Reply 18 of 193
    The AppleTV set top box interface is cool but is not sufficient to control a TV set as well. Using an iPhone as a remote does work really well and I can see that working as a TV set.
  • Reply 20 of 193
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

The components prices of an AppleTV, minus the case, are likely very low. Apple likely can get good prices on displays already.

They are the biggest company in the world. Their CEO is experienced with supply chain management. What makes you think that Apple will have relatively high costs?

My guess is that they could churn out midrange TVs with some built-in cheap chips and sell them for premium prices. They will sell some sort of tech as the Next Big Thing and lots of people will buy it, especially if it occupies a firm niche in Apple's ecosystem.

I can see lots of people buying things from apple's online stores during commercials. Alternatively and in addition, I can see lots of people buying TV shows and movies from Apple as their standard TV fodder. Not only that, but Apple will sell lots of apps that are optimized for the big screen.

Apple can make money here, or they wouldn't even be looking at the field.