Nokia launches first Windows Phones to take on Apple's iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 61 of 211
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

She is a mid-level manager at a local corporation and got one as a gift so she is trying to use it as her main phone. She finds it absolutely impenetrable and has no idea how to work it at all. She hasn't figured out how to use it even after two weeks of having it, with the exception of the camera and the phone part.

It sounds like she is a perfect customer for iOS. You should talk her into getting an iPhone.
  • Reply 62 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Ugh. I HATE the look of the 800.

The 710, though, looks nice aesthetically.

Hmm. I think just the opposite. I guess that's why they sell different models.
  • Reply 63 of 211
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't think this is true at all and it seems to me that you are just making it up given the figures on OS adoption that we are all aware of. You talk of proper debate but then throw out a completely unsupported statement like that?

I work in the mobile industry and I've got a WP7 device in my collection. I've shown it to a lot of people and most of the non-techies are impressed. They especially like how their friends and photos automatically turn up on the live tiles. They like the polish and smoothness of the UI compared to Android.

Techies, on the other hand, hate it. Mostly for the reasons that people gave given in this thread.

How does your friend find Android? Better or worse?
  • Reply 64 of 211
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Specs are interesting on the Lumia 800.
    For example, they use a 1.4GHz CPU that is only dual core. Does that mean it's the older Cortex-A8 or a single-core A9. Does it really have to be 1.4GHz to be usable? And the display is AMEOLD. Not Super, not plus(+). That makes it an inferior option in many ways.
  • Reply 65 of 211
    Nokia will be a good competitor for Apple. They will come out with different phone forms, such as a slider or flip phone. Some people just want a physical keyboard. And the Europeans buy from the Europeans, so this will help Nokia. Competition is good, and keeps Apple innovating. RIM is the big loser here.
  • Reply 66 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I agree the 800/N9 is much better more unique looking phone. I would buy one if they sold them here in the U.S. I'll probably end up with a GSM 4S this time around. My rooted EVO 4G is holding up nicely (minus the digitizer replacement) though and I was really wanting the rumored iPhone5 which coincidentally the N9/800 really resembles.
  • Reply 67 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

What's obvious is you don't know your ass from a hole in the wall.

Microsoft was slow out of the gate watching and waiting like a predator. They "were" the only game in the smartphone market for years. Then iOS happened which took the smartphone market in a completely new direction. A direction Microsoft wasn't prepared for. 5 years later they have deployed Windows Phone 7.5 Mango (a great but young mobile OS)and have essentially purchased a phone manufacturer (Nokia). Over the next 12 months we're going to see a "sleeping giant" enter the mobile phone arena.

iOS and Android have a lot to fear.

When exactly were Microsoft 'in' the smartphone game? I must have slept for that decade. Seriously, I had two handsets in the last ten years with some kind of Microsoft OS and without exception they were both donkeys. I went back to S40/S60. That being said, I couldn't get on with Symbian Anna, at least not as implemented on the Nokia E6. I've never really tried Android, but I now have two iPhones on my desk as I can use them without having to think - not the case with any other smartphone I've ever used.

Definitely Microsoft is and will continue to be an also-ran, or even a 'had to be shot because they broke a leg'.
  • Reply 68 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Specs are interesting on the Lumia 800.
    For example, they use a 1.4GHz CPU that is only dual core. Does that mean it's the older Cortex-A8 or a single-core A9. Does it really have to be 1.4GHz to be usable? And the display is AMEOLD. Not Super, not plus(+). That makes it an inferior option in many ways.

If you look up the specs not only is WP7.5 usable with a single core processor it requires less horse power to operate than iOS5 or Android3/4. Another report for the N9 at least says that while Nokia's AMOLED display is not labeled "super" or "+" it actually is of that generation and quality.
  • Reply 69 of 211
    ...is to bring these into the market top and bottom. To reclaim marketshare from the Android erosion, bring a series of semi-smart phones in below Android phones. This will accelerate the conversion of feature phones out from under Android and effectively accelerate handset makers into an untenable rush to hit bottom on their phones where profitability on Android phones is already not good. Microsoft has the resources to make this directly impact Android marketshare creation. Microsoft has demonstrated willingness to operate at a loss for an extended period of time ni order to build share.

At the top, if Microsoft positions the premium handsets correctly, again Android is the most vulnerable, followed by RIM. Android because there is not the essentially customer stickiness for the Android platform that Apple enjoys. More importantly, if they capture enough mindshare against Android, they could stall it - effectively hitting Android on two fronts. They could bleed off some Apple loyalists by demonstrating some key integration with other Microsoft products, but it would have to be fairly impressive.

Remember, Microsoft was the primary casualty of the Android platform. Ballmer and company will not forget that.
  • Reply 70 of 211
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i'm sticking with iOS, but the Nexus S and most of the HTC phones are all great devices. i'm worried that the new handset once-every-year [or every 15 months] is going to kill Apple's marketshare. now with Nokia on the WinMo team, they will have 2 new phones every month.

i'd like to see apple push out a super thin, 3" screen phone and a 4.8" mega-feature phone. [iPhone Air and iPhone pro?], in addition to the current form factor, and update those devices semi-annually - even if the updates are just small spec bumps - SOMETHING to keep the product fresh.
  • Reply 71 of 211
    Phone naming alone kinda screams it's game over, but it'd like to see Nokia and Microsoft eat into Android sales as much as possible.
  • Reply 72 of 211
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Yeah, after I posted I noticed that I'm definitely in the minority. I don't know what it is about it that doesn't stick with me, but it's definitely something.
  • Reply 73 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Microsoft don't want to compete with Android, do you realise just how much money Android makes for Microsoft in licensing. Fooking miiiiiiilions.

Nonsense. It's far more profitable to own the 'poor/stupid man's' market than to license technologies to it. They will licence AND compete.
  • Reply 74 of 211
    Sweet!
  • Reply 75 of 211
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... And the display is AMEOLD. Not Super, not plus(+). That makes it an inferior option in many ways.

Inferior to what? For the price range this phone is competing in (~iP 3GS), it is quite decent.

But I agree, specs-wise this phone is a dog. And apparently the OS doesn't help either -- no dual-core support in Q4 2011 - wtf?
  • Reply 76 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i'm sticking with iOS, but the Nexus S and most of the HTC phones are all great devices. i'm worried that the new handset once-every-year [or every 15 months] is going to kill Apple's marketshare. now with Nokia on the WinMo team, they will have 2 new phones every month.

i'd like to see apple push out a super thin, 3" screen phone and a 4.8" mega-feature phone. [iPhone Air and iPhone pro?], in addition to the current form factor, and update those devices semi-annually - even if the updates are just small spec bumps - SOMETHING to keep the product fresh.

... and we will call it the iPhone Performa line... a phone for every personality.

I'd put a "never" on this... but I can see a 4" iPhone Whatever with the 4 and 4S filling in the rest of the gaps.

Apple makes the ecosystem and OS fresh... confusing the clientele with too many multiple size phones aint in its game.
  • Reply 77 of 211
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

So it begins. We will all know in 6 months whether MIcrosoft Mobile is a contender or epic fail

It all depends on Nokia brand strength. Maybe in Europe and Asia, Nokia still has a strong brand and they could push out 10m WP7 phones a quarter by the sheer force of their brand and manufacturing power.

Quote:

Microsoft does not get another shot after this...it's the last bullet in the gun

No way it's the last bullet. They still have Windows 8/9 which can be put in phones in 2013/2014. Everything about MS boils down to Windows and Office. That's the center of MS' universe. I think they will put Windows 8 or its successor on phones, including a version of Office. Not the crap WM Office. Actual MS Office, only with the UI dumbed down for the smaller screen.
  • Reply 78 of 211
    The 800 will survive. The 710 will disappear by the weekend.
  • Reply 79 of 211
    I have not had the chance to play with w WinPhone yet. However I think after looking at the screens besides the clunky start screen it might be kind of neat.

I honestly hope that this does end up being a good phone. If Microsoft creates an excellent mobile to home environment interface like Apple has, we might actually have a real competitor to keep things interesting instead of just Droids empty flash with a few basic good ideas.The only reason droid has made it's mark is the number of phones that have been churned out and rushed, only maybe a hand full of these are worth note the rest are worthy of being the free phones you get when you open up a new account with a service provider.

With the windows phone that certainly looks like it's it's own best and not a clone, and with Nokia who did design some good phones back in the day. We might see real creativity enter back into the market instead of just improving what is already there, or just Apple creating and Droid cloning.

I say I welcome smart competition. lets hope this keeps things interesting.
  • Reply 80 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The case doesn't look anything like an iPhone/iPod/iPod Touch. Why would they sue?

So you've not seen the iPod nano available for a little over a year?

This thing's a cross between the 6th gen and the 2nd gen.