Google releases, pulls official Gmail app for iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Wednesday released its official Gmail application for iOS, but quickly pulled the software after a bug was discovered.

The official Gmail application was briefly available on the App Store on Wednesday as a free download. It's a universal application compatible with the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

The arrival of the software on Wednesday was officially announced by Google on the company's official Gmail blog. But soon after, it disappeared from the App Store, and Google provided an update explaining that there was an error.

"Unfortunately, it contained a bug which broke notifications and caused users to see an error message when first opening the app," the company said. "We've removed the app while we correct the problem, and we're working to bring you a new version soon. Everyone who's already installed the app can continue to use it."

Before the software was pulled, Google provided a rundown of features included in the new Gmail application for iOS. They were divided into three categories: speed, efficiency and touch.

Speed

Get alerted to new messages with push notifications and sounds

Find an email in seconds with search across your entire inbox

Autocomplete email addresses from your Gmail contacts or select from your device?s address book

Upload photos with a click using the new attachment button in compose view

On iPad, navigate your inbox and read your mail simultaneously with split view

Efficiency

Focus on your important messages first with Priority Inbox

Quickly scan countless emails on the same subject with threaded conversations

Organize your mail by archiving, labelling, starring, deleting and reporting spam

Touch

We?ve also optimized the interface so you can perform common actions in Gmail with the lightest touch:

Pull down your inbox to rapidly refresh if you?re eager for new mail

Swipe right to view your labels without ever leaving your inbox

Swiftly scroll through dozens of emails just by sliding your finger

The release of a Gmail application is significant not only because of the popularity of Google's free e-mail service, but also because Apple has allowed software that competes with its own native iOS Mail application. Originally, software that replicated functionality already available in iOS, including e-mail clients, was not allowed on the App Store.

Rumors of an official Gmail application for iOS first cropped up on Tuesday. Previously, Google provided users with a Web interface for Gmail on iOS, while Apple's native Mail application included built-in support for Gmail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Well, that's embarrassing.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    "Unfortunately we forgot that iOS already has a Mail app that lets you use Gmail with a much, MUCH better interface that is easier to use anyway, so?"
  • Reply 3 of 51
    This just goes to show you the App Store vetting process.

Apple's so paranoid about accusations of being too slow in the approval process,

they're fast-tracking dogshit like this.

For shame, Apple, for shame ....

ON THE OTHER HAND, perhaps Apple, seeing what utter fail this is, let it go through anyway

so as too afford GOOGLE unretractable embarrassment.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Unfortunately we forgot that iOS already has a Mail app that lets you use Gmail with a much, MUCH better interface that is easier to use anyway, so?"

Not really, labels?
  • Reply 5 of 51
    To my iPhone once they get the bug worked out. It isn't as if iOS has NEVER had bugs in it .

Also some of you Google haters should take a quick look at the bottom bar on this site. Guess what, Google ads that help keep this forum running.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Many reasons why people would want a GMail app. I do. I have been looking for one over the past two months and couldn't settle on one. I am glad this will be coming out very soon.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Apparently Google only tested it on the simulator, not actual phones. You know, don't wanna be buying the competitions hardware.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

Apple's so paranoid about accusations of being too slow in the approval process,

ON THE OTHER HAND, perhaps Apple, seeing what utter fail this is, let it go through anyway

1) Google removed their own webcode-wrapped app, not Apple. It's possible Apple's testing didn't suffer encounter any bugs or errors; that any lack of functionality was intended by Google. Google isn't exactly known for crossing their 't's and dotting their 'i's as noted by the app's haphazard use of both Airal and Helvetica.

3) Apple gets pounded for being too slow but when a company pulls their own app they get pounded, too? Does that seem fair? I'd think Apple's biggest concern with vetting apps is protecting their device users from being exposed to any dangerous code, not making sure the developers of 500k+ App Store apps are getting their hands held and their bottoms wiped.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Thats my suspicion. The alert on launch was conspicuous, and clearly meant that the notification server was not set up properly ( with the wrong profile). Apple could not have missed it. It happened every launch. No bedroom team would expect to make that mistake, but whatever. Apple must have seen it - why release it?
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Google removed their own webcode-wrapped app, not Apple. It's possible Apple's testing didn't suffer encounter any bugs or errors; that any lack of functionality was intended by Google. Google isn't exactly known for crossing their 't's and dotting their 'i's as noted by the app's haphazard use of both Airal and Helvetica.

There was no way that Apple could not see that.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    I downloaded it when it was available in the App store and have used on my iP4s a dozen or more times with no issues whatsoever. There are a few features missing, such as ability to handle multiple accounts, but it is already far superior to the web based version on the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

I downloaded it when it was available in the App store and have used on my iP4s a dozen or more times with no issues whatsoever. There are a few features missing, such as ability to handle multiple accounts, but it is already far superior to the web based version on the iPhone.

Superior in what way(s)?
  • Reply 13 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There was no way that Apple could not see that.

1) Why? Aren't the PSN maintained by each app company and then filtered through Apple? Perhaps this service was assume inactive. Maybe having parts of an app not functional ?*especially for one just wrapping UIWebViewwe ? in the testing for dangerous bugs is par for the course for new apps. I'll need an argument why after a half-billion approved apps Apple would need to do the work for developers releasing free app to a point it cost them money.

2) People should be happy Apple is allowing 3rd-party mail clients on the App Store, not upset with Apple because of mistakes Google made.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Superior in what way(s)?

I thought it was a mess, ignoring the alert on launch issue ( which meant it would never badge new mail). Sending a html email to myself, it was sized far bigger than the iPhone screen - i.e. it scrolled about 4 times the width of the iPhone screen. Maybe this was a 4.3 issue.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Why? Aren't the PSN maintained by each app company and then filtered through Apple? Perhaps this service was assume inactive. Maybe having parts of an app not functional —*especially for one just wrapping UIWebViewwe — in the testing for dangerous bugs is par for the course for new apps. I'll need an argument why after a half-billion approved apps Apple would need to do the work for developers releasing free app to a point it cost them money.

2) People should be happy Apple is allowing 3rd-party mail clients on the App Store, not upset with Apple because of mistakes Google made.

Well, when you set a profile for your app with notifications you do need to set a specific type of profile, linking to your app's info.plist identifier ( com.yourcompany.appname) and some other magic to do with entitlements; and only then will notifications work. Its possible however, that Apple was testing against a test notification server, and the live server is talked to only when live.

I don't know. I know that every person who launched this app today got the bug, and there was an alert explaining there was a bug, and it was a serious bug. Since a mail app without notifications or badging is quite useless.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    arasuarasu Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Don't blame Apple. They were probably busy helping the 4S owners with the battery drain issue who were charging it wrong.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:

Um....have you even used a naitive Gmail app? Superior to anything on iOS when it coems to gmail. Works so well. Especially how it ties in to google voice, texting and whatnots.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Um....have you even used a naitive Gmail app? Superior to anything on iOS when it coems to gmail. Works so well. Especially how it ties in to google voice, texting and whatnots.

Not the one on iOS.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Many reasons why people would want a GMail app. I do. I have been looking for one over the past two months and couldn't settle on one. I am glad this will be coming out very soon.

But I am wondering seriously why would I want another app for email rather than the iOS mail?

I mean does it do something special that mail won't do?

Please let me know as I am just curious. THanks
  • Reply 20 of 51
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I did a search on the App store. I typed in Google. OMG!! There were tons of results. Why does Google need so many apps?