iOS 5 adoption on iPhone nears 38%, but iPod touch lags behind at 12%

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
38 percent of iPhone users are running iOS 5 within weeks of the software's release, but iPod touch users have been slower to upgrade, with just 12 percent running the latest version of Apple's mobile OS, according to a new analysis.

Data analytics company Chitika Insights took a look at iOS traffic for the week of Oct. 22-28. The firm's data showed that 37.7 percent of iOS traffic from iPhones and 30.3 percent from iPads came from iOS 5, a sharp increase from the 20 percent average for all iOS devices during the first week of the software's availability.

But, the iPod touch has seen a significantly slower rate of adoption, with just 12.2 percent of traffic coming from iPods running the new OS. iPod touch traffic also had a higher percentage of devices still running iOS 3: 8.8 percent, compared to 6.5 percent for the iPad and 3.2 percent for the iPhone.

A likely cause for the lag in iOS 5 adoption among iPod touch users may simply be incompatibility. For instance, students who took advantage of last year's back-to-school promotion for a free 8GB second-generation iPod will be unable to upgrade to iOS 5.

As for the iPhone, both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS are eligible to update to the latest version of the software. All iPad models are also able to upgrade.

The surge of new iPhone 4S purchasers should make a significant contribution to the share of iOS 5 traffic from iPhones, as the devices come with iOS 5 pre-installed. Apple sold four million units of its newest smartphone in the first weekend alone. The company is on track to set an all-time record for iPhone sales this quarter.

Apple released iOS 5 on Oct. 12 to user interest so high that it crippled the company's servers for most of the day. Notable new features include Notification Center, iMessage, Reminders and Newsstand.

Meanwhile, rival OS Google Android has faced its share of difficulties in providing updates for the latest versions. Late last month, blogger Michael Degusta of the Understatement demonstrated that a number of high-profile Android phones have seen software updates drop off before the devices are even two years old.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I haven't upgraded to iOS 5 or Lion, but I will, as soon as I get the all-clear from all of you beta testers
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Apple seems to be caring less and less about iPods, seeing how the Classic and iPod Touch haven't been upgraded at all. Hopefully, the next version of the iPod Touch will see at least a processor upgrade to the A5. The Classic with it's hard drive will probably be tossed aside despite it being such a capable mp3 player.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple seems to be caring less and less about iPods, seeing how the Classic and iPod Touch haven't been upgraded at all. Hopefully, the next version of the iPod Touch will see at least a processor upgrade to the A5. The Classic with it's hard drive will probably be tossed aside despite it being such a capable mp3 player.

Many iPod users are 7 for heaven's sake!
  • Reply 4 of 32
    ivkivk Posts: 46member
    That's because it doesn't offer anything worth while for the iPod Touch. What's the point in most of those features when you're no where near WiFi?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

The Classic doesn't need an explanation but the Touch, usually updated in the Fall, is a different story. I think that it made no marketing or logistical sense to update the iPhone and Touch at the same time so they purposely waited, but the new Touch will get shown along with the next iPad after the new year.

It could also be that Apple was already pushed to their limits with sourcing the A5 chip for the iPhone and iPad, but I think that is the last likely of the two scenarios.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Biggest reason for lack of upgrades, I believe, is the lack of support for 2nd gens. I know a boatload of people who have either 2nd gen touches or 8GB "3rd gens" which we all know are true 2nd gens. The don't upgrade because they can't.

Second most likely reason is that given by digitalclips: a significant portion of iPod touch users are kids.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I haven't upgraded to iOS 5 or Lion, but I will, as soon as I get the all-clear from all of you beta testers

Your missing out. iOS 5 really has mo big bugs I know of (battery issues are only with the 4S).

Lion is great too now because of iCloud. Youre missing out on photo stream, calendar syncing, and address book syncing- all of which are amazing for my work and home.

My favorite ios5 update btw? Gestures for my iPad 2. I never hit the home button anymore. It's awesome.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

My favorite ios5 update btw? Gestures for my iPad 2. I never hit the home button anymore. It's awesome.

Bingo. This is the way multitasking SHOULD be done. It's just so freaking GLORIOUS compared to the old way.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Because IOS 5 is *severely* broken.

Some apps crash (quite a few), other apps won't run at all(HP 48 calc), there are huge lags in operation for others (Field Runners, for instance), the "wifi sync" simply doesn't work under the conditions Apple said it would, the "notifications" don't always (or even often) clear when the app the notification is for is started, there are battery consumption problems in some devices, wifi connections drop for no reason, but show as connected, and you have to go to airplane mode or switch wifi on and off again to get it to work again, that stupid bookshelf "folder" can't be hidden, there are STILL no nested folder capabilities...

The Apple forums are loaded with people having problems, and they have been since the thing was initially released.

Seriously, this is the worst IOS *ever*. If you haven't upgraded to it yet, don't until you see the above problems (and the others on the Apple support forums) have been fixed. Or you'll probably regret it. I certainly do.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

All clear! been using both on all my devices and can tell you I have no issues at all. Well, I turned off location services for time zone updates, but other than that all is good.

I suggest you hop on at 5.0.1
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Some apps crash (quite a few), other apps won't run at all(HP 48 calc), there are huge lags in operation for others (Field Runners, for instance), the "wifi sync" simply doesn't work under the conditions Apple said it would, the "notifications" don't always (or even often) clear when the app the notification is for is started, there are battery consumption problems in some devices, wifi connections drop for no reason, but show as connected, and you have to go to airplane mode or switch wifi on and off again to get it to work again, that stupid bookshelf "folder" can't be hidden, there are STILL no nested folder capabilities...

The Apple forums are loaded with people having problems, and they have been since the thing was initially released.

Seriously, this is the worst IOS *ever*. If you haven't upgraded to it yet, don't until you see the above problems (and the others on the Apple support forums) have been fixed. Or you'll probably regret it. I certainly do.

Never had an issue other than battery, and it was solved by turning off time zone location. Sorry to hear you are having issues.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Classic doesn't need an explanation but the Touch, usually updated in the Fall, is a different story. I think that it made no marketing or logistical sense to update the iPhone and Touch at the same time so they purposely waited, but the new Touch will get shown along with the next iPad after the new year.

It could also be that Apple was already pushed to their limits with sourcing the A5 chip for the iPhone and iPad, but I think that is the last likely of the two scenarios.

Yea I was scratching my head on the Touch as well. I gotta tell you though, if apple wants to finish off game boy and the like they better bring A5 to the touch before all the games hit. Kids will be hooked if they can get a 199 device that has same graphics as xbox, and than you just transition them to the phone in a few years.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

1) Of course Apple forums are loaded with people having issues. They're selling about 65-75 million iOS-based devices this quarter alone. Having even 1/1000th of 1% means a lot of people complaining… and that's not even considering how many people have installed iOS 5.0 on older devices. On top of that, people take the time to complain, but they don't take the time to sign up for a site and a post a comment to say, "Gosh darn it, Apple. I just wanted to say how great a job you're doing." At least not a general rule.

2) You have a buttload of issues. That's not common! Let me put it this way, if the iPhone were a person the ones you see complaining have 'a' cold, the flu, or maybe a concussion, but you have EVERYTHING. You basically have an ulcer, diabetes, rabies, cancer, full blown AIDS, feline AIDS, diarrhea, and constipation all at the same time.

3) You need to put your phone in DFU mode and then restore. Something went wrong! I'd also then play around with that for a day to see if the issues crop up. If not, then I might risk restoring my settings from a backup, but that could very well be were the issues are coming from so you might end up having to wipe it again and starting all over.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Never had an issue other than battery, and it was solved by turning off time zone location. Sorry to hear you are having issues.

When 100 million users upgrade their OS in a month, you're bound to have some unhappy users. Unfortunately humans are very bad at discerning what risks are truly applicable to them. For instance most people who watch the news these days would assume that murder and kidnapping are a much bigger problem today than 50 years ago. The Apple forums may be "filled" with thousands of users having specific issues, but that's probably less than 1/1000th of 1% of all users on iOS5. Given that low level of risk, most people would not worry about it, but since you don't have a forum "filled" with 10,000x more happy users than the bitter ones, people assume it's a problem.

Edit: heh, too slow!
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

I have the 4S battery issue and none of the cures are working. I'm waiting for the 3rd beta of 5.0.1 before installing it. I lose about 10% per hour even when doing nothing with the device.

Quote:

Yea I was scratching my head on the Touch as well. I gotta tell you though, if apple wants to finish off game boy and the like they better bring A5 to the touch before all the games hit. Kids will be hooked if they can get a 199 device that has same graphics as xbox, and than you just transition them to the phone in a few years.

I believe Apple/Jobs when they say a 7" iPad doesn't work. However, I can see the room for a 6-7" iPod Touch. It could invigorate the iPod segment without hurting the focus on what Apple considers a tablet. I think that plus a new SDK would put a huge hurt on what Nintendo might be thinking of for the future.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

I'd like to recant my personal experience with Apple products (and, to an extent, computers in general) at this point, because your post somewhat baffles me, and it might just be my experience being utterly atypical.

The first Mac (and first computer, probably) that I ever used was an Apple ][e in my first grade classroom. To give some weight to this, my elementary school had (and still had until it was torn down) three Apple ][ of various make in every classroom up to and including three decades past their introduction on the market.

Was my school corporation being stingy? Quite possibly. Was it worth it to still have these Apple ][ in the classrooms anyway? Absolutely.

First, they still worked. Incredibly well. And do to this day (more on that later). Second, if you're five/six years old and having your first experience with a computer, it doesn't get much easer than an Apple ][. I'll teach MY children, should I have them, how to use a computer through the Apple ][.

Understand the keyboard and its relationship with what happens on the screen. Then you can learn how to use a mouse and, from there, multitouch and whatever else they come up with in the future.

Anyway, first grade. I fell in love with it. I thought computers were so dang cool. And with my grandmother being a teacher in the same building, I would go to her room after school was out and get to play with them even more.

It got to the point (through her word of mouth, mainly) where when any teacher had a problem with one of their computers, they'd phone up my first grade teacher and ask if I could come down to fix it instead of whoever the building tech was.

And I'd fix it.

Now, I wasn't cracking open any CRTs or reseating any expansion cards in first grade, that's for sure, but if it was a software problem or a simple hardware one, I could generally do it.

From there, it just grew. At home, we got an LC 575 and I started learning how to use that and absorbing knowledge through the wonders of educational CD-based (gasp, the first LC model with a CD drive!) software on it (easily acquired since my mom's also a teacher).

Some time passes.

Now I'm the person to whom others turn when stuff breaks. Hardware or software. I'm still terrified of opening a CRT, but luckily that doesn't really happen anymore, anyway. Anything else you want done to your machine or need done to it because of a problem or personal choice, I'll do it, because I can do it.

And I don't really think I'm that good with stuff. Time and again, computers just fix themselves when I show up, and I'll have no idea what I've done. Technology just fixes itself around me. It's more confusing than anything else.

So by now you're shouting a Monty Pythonesque "GET ON WITH IT!" Fine. Here's my point:

In all of the computers I have ever owned…
    • Seven Apple ][ currently residing in my basement that I saved from destruction when my elementary school was torn down.

• That LC 575, also in my basement.

• A bondi blue iMac from my mom's school.

• An iMac DV that we used at home for seven years.

• A G3 iBook I bought used, years after release, to have my own laptop.

• A Penryn pre-unibody MacBook Pro, now running Lion and serving as power on the go.

• And my Gainestown Mac Pro that I use as my primary machine.

… and all the mobile devices I've ever owned…
    • An eMate 300 (remember those? Don't sell them short).

• A first-gen iPod shuffle (from some guy at my school. He thought it was broken, so he gave it to me. It wasn't.

• A first-gen iPod nano (free when my family bought a Core 2 iMac to replace the iMac DV).

• A second-gen iPod shuffle (birthday).

• A 4GB iPhone (won it).

• An iPod touch (finagled it free when someone else I know bought an iMac).

• And a first-gen iPad.

None. Not a one. Has ever experienced any of the problems I read about so often. Not even that MacBook Pro, with its wretched 8600M card, has succumbed to the chip failure.I've never had a hardware problem that affected swaths of users. And I've never even had incidental problems like dead pixels, hinge breaks, light leak, or paint chips/plastic cracks.

I've never been in a fringe group where software broke something. And I've never run into existing software that an update broke (save for the Lion Rosetta thing, but at that point I only had AppleWorks left that needed it and nothing else I had broke because of 10.7.0).

So my question to you is: Am I just the single luckiest Mac user to have ever lived or is iOS 5 really the 'worst version of iOS'?

I'm honestly asking that. I can't possibly speak from anyone's experience but my own, nor can anyone else speak on anything more than their own experience. And in my experience, iOS 5 has worked beautifully on my iPad, just like every prior software update to any of my iDevices since iPhone OS 1.0 on my original.

I tend to believe the adage, "Forums are packed with people having problems, not with people posting the A-OK," but if that's wrong, I'd love to know so that I can change my mindset.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[SIZE="1"]

Also, I changed the font size because this story became a wall of text and I wanted it to be more easily skippable if people so chose.

Here's a tip - it's still a wall of text, but you made it so anyone who didn't want to skip it couldn't read it anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    As has been pointed out, iOS5 brings nothing really new to the iPod Touch. So why bother.

End of story.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Here's a tip - it's still a wall of text, but you made it so anyone who didn't want to skip it couldn't read it anyway.

Ah, so just punch it back to the regular size, then?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'd like the iPhone adoption rate to go higher so more than one person I know has access to iMessage, that one person bought a 4s. iOS 5 has a lot of other nice touches, I wish it had the equivalent of a "killer app" to help people get over their aversion to upgrading the software.

I take it that iMessage isn't on the Touch?