Apple releases Safari 5.1.2 to fix memory usage, stability, page flashing

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has made the free update Safari 5.1.2 available from its website and through Software Update for Mac OS X users.

Apple says the new update solves a variety of issues, noting that it will "improve stability, address issues that could cause hangs and excessive memory usage, address issues that could cause webpages to flash white," and now allows PDFs to be displayed within web content.

The latest version of Apple's web browser can be obtained online for both Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Lion users, or PC users with Windows XP, Vista, or 7.

The download through Software Update weighs in at 40.2 MB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    "address issues that could cause hangs and excessive memory usage,"

Apple address that issue? That'll be the day.

• Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

"address issues that could cause hangs and excessive memory usage,"

Apple address that issue? That'll be the day.

for some strange reason i don't see the update. why is that? because i'm black?

wait.. i am not black, so i don't see (pun) why the update isn't there.

anyway, i uninstalled almost all the extras and flash. OH GAWD! this shit flies again!
  • Reply 3 of 36
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Just downloaded and installed....Can't notice any difference but I'll have a play tomorrow morning...

...actually, it does appear to be snappier - especially on YouTube
  • Reply 4 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Just downloaded and installed....Can't notice any difference but I'll have a play tomorrow morning...

...actually, it does appear to be snappier - especially on YouTube

I hope the visual history is faster.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    I just wonder when they are going to release a revamped safari 6. Compared to Chrome, and even the newer firefoxes (8.0+), safari is starting to feel rather slow, and at least to me, the aesthetics aren't all that great compared to some of the more modern browsers like chrome or opera.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

safari is starting to feel rather slow, and at least to me, the aesthetics aren't all that great compared to some of the more modern browsers like chrome or opera.

There's less interface in Safari than in any other modern browser, and besides the memory leak, it's easily the fastest.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope the visual history is faster.

I hope i will be able to save bookmarks again! That's been pissing me off for weeks.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

I just wonder when they are going to release a revamped safari 6. Compared to Chrome, and even the newer firefoxes (8.0+), safari is starting to feel rather slow, and at least to me, the aesthetics aren't all that great compared to some of the more modern browsers like chrome or opera.

I find Safari to be very fast and offer the best and most streamlined aesthetics compared to other browsers

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I hope i will be able to save bookmarks again! That's been pissing me off for weeks.

That sounds like it could be a PLIST or permissions issue.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

That sounds like it could be a PLIST or permissions issue.

I'm wondering if it's possible that there is a maximum number of bookmarks aloud. I haven't counted but i must have thousands over the last decade or so.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Hallelujah.....................
  • Reply 11 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I did notice that pinch to zoom is still funky. That is when you zoom in some times the image fails to refocus and allow you to scroll. If you bump the size again it works fine. It has been like this for some time now.

As to other features and improvements, what can I say it has only been a few minutes. It does look good though.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    I agree with MoXoM, it does seem more responsive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm wondering if it's possible that there is a maximum number of bookmarks aloud. I haven't counted but i must have thousands over the last decade or so.

1) You have so many bookmarks the purpose of bookmarks may be somewhat diluted. My recommendation is to put them all in a folder and then pull out only the ones you need. Once you get to your current level of need then just delete the old bookmark's folder.

2) There might be an upper limit built into Safari but I doubt that a few thousand would be even close.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I did notice that pinch to zoom is still funky.

That's one feature I hate. I wish I could turn it off as I trigger it accidentally way too much. If I want smaller or bigger (which I rarely do) I'll just use Command+(minus) and Command+(equals).
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

Slow? Not a bit from what I can see. As to aesthetics that is in the eye of the beholder. personally I like the browser to disappear when viewing a web sight. Sometimes I go into full screen mode to eliminate as much of the aesthetics as possible. Why? To see the web site without distractions and to fully utilize the screen on my MBP.

So from this guys point of view Safari has it right.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

I agree with MoXoM, it does seem more responsive.

Haven't ran it long enough to tell but scrolling seems to be a little more fluid. I'm actually hoping the memory leak bug fixes help with memory on my MBP. Sadly when I went to Lion I suddenly had to deal with a lot more paging slow downs.

Quote:

1) You have so many bookmarks the purpose of bookmarks may be somewhat diluted. My recommendation is to put them all in a folder and then pull out only the ones you need. Once you get to your current level of need then just delete the old bookmark's folder.

2) There might be an upper limit built into Safari but I doubt that a few thousand would be even close.

Strange issue if you ask me. Well designed software shouldn't have limits on stored data.

Quote:

That's one feature I hate. I wish I could turn it off as I trigger it accidentally way too much. If I want smaller or bigger (which I rarely do) I'll just use Command+(minus) and Command+(equals).

Wow I couldn't get buy without it. I instinctively try to use the features in apps that don't support it. Now occasionally I do get zoom that I don't want so I understand your point of view. I have to wonder if there is a hidden defaults write solution for that. If not put in a bug report with Apple as this should be an easy thing to deal with as a preference.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Anyone update Safari who uses Glims? If so, is Glims functional in 5.1.2?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Sadly when I went to Lion I suddenly had to deal with a lot more paging slow downs.

Do you mean page outs? Just get more RAM. RAM is dirt cheap.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Still needs a reboot? Still?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Still needs a reboot? Still?

Yep. Not just a Safari app update, but the WebKit framework for Mac OS.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Do you mean page outs? Just get more RAM. RAM is dirt cheap.

That doesn't always work. On my MBP, 3 GB is the maximum it will recognize. And with 3 GB, Safari used to use up all the available RAM in no time. 5.1.2 appears better so far - and I've been experiencing this problem for years..
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Anyone update Safari who uses Glims? If so, is Glims functional in 5.1.2?

WOW, that takes me back. Haven't used that since Safari 3?

Is there really anything that it does that Safari itself doesn't already anymore?