Apple releases Safari 5.1.2 to fix memory usage, stability, page flashing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Slow? Not a bit from what I can see. As to aesthetics that is in the eye of the beholder. personally I like the browser to disappear when viewing a web sight. Sometimes I go into full screen mode to eliminate as much of the aesthetics as possible. Why? To see the web site without distractions and to fully utilize the screen on my MBP.

So from this guys point of view Safari has it right.

I'm right with ya. I love Safari 5.1.x to death. Chrome may have a slight edge on speed, but the Safari interface beats everything else out there thanks to its minimalism.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I'm running Lion but can't help to wonder why doesn't Apple support Safari 5 on Leopard yet they continue to support Windows XP? The same Windows XP that Microsoft dropped support for in IE9.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I'm running Lion but can't help to wonder why doesn't Apple support Safari 5 on Leopard yet they continue to support Windows XP? The same Windows XP that Microsoft dropped support for in IE9.

The biggest reason seems to be the sheer number of XP users compared to Mac OS users, much less Leopard users. People weren't switching to Vista from XP and MS already has a saturation where Macs (HW) are growing faster than the market yet still has a smaller OS marketshare despite profit and unit share dominance for their class. They are simply different kinds of markets so must be dealt with differently. There may also be reasons about Apple simply trying to cause a push to their newer platforms that they can't do with Windows that's less clear.

PS: Why aren't you at least using Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The biggest reason seems to be the sheer number of XP users compared to Mac OS users, much less Leopard users. People weren't switching to Vista from XP and MS already has a saturation where Macs (HW) are growing faster than the market yet still has a smaller OS marketshare despite profit and unit share dominance for their class. They are simply different kinds of markets so must be dealt with differently. There may also be reasons about Apple simply trying to cause a push to their newer platforms that they can't do with Windows that's less clear.

PS: Why aren't you at least using Snow Leopard?

Still Leopard is not even 5 years old, and for PowerPC Macs that's the latest release, you'd think Apple would support it a bit longer than usual for that reason.

Why should I be on Snow Leopard? I updated both my Macs to Lion and satisfied with that. I had issues initially, but ever since 10.7.2 it has been trouble free.

Here's something interesting, Safari was updated to 5.1.2 without even needing to restart Safari. How did that happen?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Here's something interesting, Safari was updated to 5.1.2 without even needing to restart Safari. How did that happen?

You have to restart your Mac to install Safari.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I just wonder when they are going to release a revamped safari 6. Compared to Chrome, and even the newer firefoxes (8.0+), safari is starting to feel rather slow, and at least to me, the aesthetics aren't all that great compared to some of the more modern browsers like chrome or opera.

wtf Why would anyone want to compare to firefox or chrome? Chrome is (I'm guessing spyware) and firefox is for the bashers and tech turds. Opera is ok I guess but what do you guys have against Safari. It's a great NATIVE browser and it is supported regularly by Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You have to restart your Mac to install Safari.

But I have 5.1.2 installed without restarting. How? This only happened on my MacBook Pro, for my Mac mini I had to restart.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I just wonder when they are going to release a revamped safari 6. Compared to Chrome, and even the newer firefoxes (8.0+), safari is starting to feel rather slow, and at least to me, the aesthetics aren't all that great compared to some of the more modern browsers like chrome or opera.

Chrome and Opera are "more modern" in what way?

Anyone can issue version numbers. Apple should call the next Safari version 20! Does that make it "more modern"?

You do realize Chrome is built on Apple's "webkit", right?

Do you also realize that Android's web browser is also built on Apple's "Webkit", right?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studentx View Post

You do realize Chrome is built on Apple's "webkit", right?

Do you also realize that Android's web browser is also built on Apple's "Webkit", right?

Not only that, Chrome is just WebKit. Safari is WebKit2 already.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Here's to hoping to see less beach balls w/5.1.2
  • Reply 31 of 36
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    My Mission Control has started playing up since installing this - major graphical glitches.

The only other thing I've installed recently is BBEdit, but that's not tightly integrated enough with the system to cause this.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Slow? Not a bit from what I can see. As to aesthetics that is in the eye of the beholder. personally I like the browser to disappear when viewing a web sight. Sometimes I go into full screen mode to eliminate as much of the aesthetics as possible. Why? To see the web site without distractions and to fully utilize the screen on my MBP.

So from this guys point of view Safari has it right.

Well THAT is my opinion as well.

I've got Chrome and FireFox on my Mac, and as much as I like some of the geeked out goodness and have downloaded a bunch of extensions for Safari as well -- UNLESS I'm actively doing something geek with a website, I'm 99% of the time in Safari with NO extensions loaded but a basic "click to load extensions" like Flash. The LESS browser the better IMO.

However with the new "single process" in Safari, I can almost safely run Flash without it driving me crazy (and I develop projects for money in Flash).

However, I cannot wait for HTML5 to become the standard. I realized when using a "tweening library" for animation code in Flash's actionscript - and then having to debug messages to a server via javascript in a browser, and having to create a process to handle the script,... that I was pushing wet spaghetti into a Key Hole to open a lock. Flash requires too many moving parts and on a mobile platform like phones it was destined to die, as the THREE layers of junk become FOUR layers of battery sucking inefficiency ....

... OK, that isn't about the browser -- but I had to vent. It's just to point out that all the GEEK GOODNESS that FireFox and Chrome try to give me, and I find USEFUL when developing -- are in stark contrast to my sanity as a user of the web.

It is still nice to have the OPTION of a plugin to add functionality -- but when as a content developer should you depend on them? Never. The days of Proprietary on the web should be over -- a bad experiment that forced companies to hire programmers to "reinvent the wheel a million or more times" and users to hunt around for a way to "view the content."

I think Apple had the right paradigm of not having "virtual code" on top of Code. Safari is the best platform for HTML 5, CSS 3, and all the "standards" that don't require layers of Virtual Reality to make happen.

>> If Chrome takes the lead, you can bet it will have an economic model based on Google KNOWING ALL THERE IS ABOUT YOU. And if Microsoft wins, it's back to "embrace and extend" of standards.

As long as Apple LEADS but doesn't become a fat and comfortable monopoly, I LIKE how the Browser Wars are going. Everyone is now competing to render CSS faster, or run JavaScript code with less battery power and time -- Wow! 8 years ago, I would not have predicted a war on open standards and reliability.

>> No matter what your choice; Chrome, FireFox, Safari or something else -- it's GOOD to be a web user now. I just hope that HTML 5 developers don't make the mistake of abusing the User and make the equivalent of 50 endlessly lopping GIF animations and a MIDI song that cannot be turned off, coupled with a unclose-able Window that requires someone to disable Javascript or to quit the browser to get rid of. Ahh, who am I kidding,....
  • Reply 33 of 36
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Do you mean page outs? Just get more RAM. RAM is dirt cheap.

Before this update, even with six gigabytes of RAM (hardly paltry!) and Safari being the only app loaded I would easily get a page file of over 3 gigabytes!

That was nuts, there was clearly something wrong, and so far it looks like they fixed it - woot!
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Before this update, even with six gigabytes of RAM (hardly paltry!) and Safari being the only app loaded I would easily get a page file of over 3 gigabytes!

That was nuts, there was clearly something wrong, and so far it looks like they fixed it - woot!

Agreed. It looks like they actually fixed it. Even I'm not experiencing it anymore, and I've had it for years?
  • Reply 35 of 36
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It looks like they actually fixed it. Even I'm not experiencing it anymore, and I've had it for years?

And just to confirm, my MBP hasn't been rebooted in three days. I have several applications in addition open to Safari (itunes, mail, etc.) and I have 5.77 GB in use and a swap file of 34 MB.

MB - not GB! Sigh - thank you Apple! It's about time...
  • Reply 36 of 36
    I am running the latest Snow Leopard version on my Macbook and choose to install the software update with the Safari update last night.

Big mistake.

It asked me to restart when I clicked install...and my computer has not been able to boot up since then. I left it on all night just to be sure. It gets to the white page with the apple logo but never finishes to get to the desktop screen.

Any ideas. I have had no problems with my computer before this.