Apple's iPhone 4S propels iOS smartphone market share to 43% in Oct., Nov. 2011

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Of course there will be a slight uptick with a new model from Apple. A new iPhone released within that time frame will generate a perceived momentum with market share. Please remember that this uptick is in direct relation to a new product release.

Since Android manufacturers were releasing new stuff all year we could make the argument that their new models caused a "perceived momentum" - whatever that means in their favour.

Quote:

Mark my words. As 1st and 2nd quarter approaches, iOS share will quickly return to its proper levels, and will continue to drop year to year.

It clearly grew y-o-y to the 2Q, from 19% 2010 4Q to 29% 2Q 2011, Verizon and the 3GS the factors. The further drop in the 3GS price pushed it to 3rd overall device sold in the US market, it beats all Android competitors. When the 5 comes out the 3Gs will sell at an even lower price, and be the 4th best selling phone. Competing with 4 phones rather than 2 will see Apple push past Android in 3Q & 4Q next year.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Of course there will be a slight uptick with a new model from Apple. A new iPhone released within that time frame will generate a perceived momentum with market share.

So did nobody on the Android side of things release a new model?
  • Reply 43 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

There is no "total market share." Market share is, by definition, the part of a given market a company takes in a specific time frame. Figuring total market share would be pointless. What would that show us? The term I suspect you're looking for is "customer base" which is the total number of customers a given company serves. That's not the same as market share.

In fact, a company can have a very low market share and very high customer base or vice-versa. I'd actually argue that in the case of Android and iOS. From what I've read, Android users appear to purchase new phones more often than iOS users. If the same people are buying phones more often, then that would create a high market share with a customer base that doesn't necessarily grow. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure out how that translates to misleading market share numbers.

Thanks for clearing that up

As for why customer base is useful... it can certainly help developers... ie a bigger audience.

Market share can also be misleading at first glance.

If an Android developer reads the headline "Android tablets reach 30%" they might think Android tablets are finally at the level that they will consider developing for.

But the reality is... there are far more iPads out there.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Sounds like you don't know the definition of market share. Nothing personal, but it sounds like you're using terms like "overall market share" in place of "customer base." Market share is the amount of a specific market a given company takes in a given time period. An overall market share (i.e., market share from the start of time to now) would be so broad as to be rendered meaningless.

Yes - apparently I didn't. Thanks for the clarification. However - then when market share is quoted, it should be associated with a specific time period (as it was here), but it often (mostly?) is not. I think that is what confused me on the meaning of the term.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Yes - apparently I didn't. Thanks for the clarification. However - then when market share is quoted, it should be associated with a specific time period (as it was here), but it often (mostly?) is not. I think that is what confused me on the meaning of the term.

I guess I was confused as well... The headlines are quite misleading... But those numbers are still awesome regardless of who was purchasing the apple devices.. I wonder if android was still at 700,000 per day and if we can infer anything from that number with regards to apple devices activated... I did a quick calculation using the percentage markets shares and assuming android was at 700,000 and I got some absurdly large number for iOS activations... Im sure something isnt exactly correct in my calculations....
  • Reply 46 of 63
    I have upgraded my wife's and my iPhones every model release, and there are always relatives eager to take possession of our old models. Every iPhone I have bought is still in use.

I suspect there are a lot of old, non-upgradable, Android phones kicking around the bottom of drawers. I am seeing a lot of iPhones lately, both at the local University, and in the malls. I did shop at higher end malls this christmas, but 80% of everyone I saw talking on a phone was using an iPhone.

If Apple keeps rolling out Siri upgrades, comes out with a google-smoking map app, as well as continually inventive iCloud functions, Android could still easily lose this fight.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Except – the graph is labeled "OS share of smartphone sales", presumably meaning that it only represents the ratio of sales during that period, not the overall market share. So unlike the total market share that you are referring to, it is possible that it could be changed by sales to existing iOS users.

indeed. But since even old iPhones resell like hotcakes, we can assume someone upgrading from lets say a 3GS either sold it or give it to a family member. So this means those increase market share "sales" did rise significantly iOS (phone) global market share.

I don't know who it is in the US, but here in Montreal when I put up the 3gs ad on kijiji.ca I got 20 emails within minutes. Resellers are literately camping the site. Most of those phones are jailbreak and are used with no-contract low rate plans. Back when the 4s was release I got 175$ for my 3GS.

and I think I going to buy a few more option calls before the earnings.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

indeed. But since even old iPhones resell like hotcakes, we can assume someone upgrading from lets say a 3GS either sold it or give it to a family member. So this means those increase market share "sales" did rise significantly iOS (phone) global market share.

I don't know who it is in the US, but here in Montreal when I put up the 3gs ad on kijiji.ca I got 20 emails within minutes. Resellers are literately camping the site. Most of those phones are jailbreak and are used with no-contract low rate plans. Back when the 4s was release I got 175$ for my 3GS.

and I think I going to buy a few more option calls before the earnings.

That's quite possible. And less likely for Android phones, I would guess. Anyway though - as was pointed out previously - I was misunderstanding the accepted meaning of "market share".
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

You forgot that Apple's target market are those with discriminating tastes that CAN afford expensive BUT QUALITY products--most likely they own expensive cars like a Benz, Audi, BMW, etc. BUT even for those that can HARDLY afford Apple, once they own an Apple, that person finds himself NOT wanting to go back to lesser quality products!

iPhone actually IS a very good introduction to the much-vaunted Apple QUALITY of EXCELLENCE (insanely GREAT!) and once they TASTE Apple QUALITY through their iPhones and iPods, these people will NEVER go back to mediocre stuffs anymore--and that is where APPLE LOYALTY comes into play!

That's the reason why Apple can sell NOT only iPhones or iPods BUT CAN also sell iPads, iMacs to a person that just converted to Apple!

You will MOST likely hear an Android/PC user CONVERTING to Apple, BUT you will HARDLY hear an Apple user REGRESSING back to Windows/Android

Everyone I know with an iPhone (and I know a lot of people) has a bus pass...don't believe the hype. 43% of the market isn't made up of rich people in Audis and BMWs...

Also you can find a lot of anecdotal stories of Apple to Android converts...I know of many IRL and online you find many testimonials (all of which I find questionable especially Android to Apple - the infamous "my friend converted because he couldn't find the market on Android" story from a few months back comes to mind)

Also you can't regress back to a state you haven't been in.

Nice attempt at finding a word that implies Windows/Android are less than...fail all around.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    Quote:

From what I've seen, most articles or stats about market share do include a time period.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:

From what I've seen, most articles or stats about market share do include a time period.

What are you saying? I need to read the articles more carefully? I thought that was frowned upon in these parts.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Everyone I know with an iPhone (and I know a lot of people) has a bus pass...don't believe the hype. 43% of the market isn't made up of rich people in Audis and BMWs...

Also you can find a lot of anecdotal stories of Apple to Android converts...I know of many IRL and online you find many testimonials (all of which I find questionable especially Android to Apple - the infamous "my friend converted because he couldn't find the market on Android" story from a few months back comes to mind)

Also you can't regress back to a state you haven't been in.

Nice attempt at finding a word that implies Windows/Android are less than...fail all around.

Those that CAN afford or TRYING to afford Apple products (insanely Great) have one thing in common: discriminating tastes, just like Bill Gates aspired for..."to have SJ's impeccable tastes"!

You can regress back to a state you were in--original Android/Windows users converting to Apple and then REGRESS back to Android/PC usage (although as I said NOT a lot of regression is happening at all)!

That is why there is such a thing as Apple LOYALTY--once you taste Apple's impeccable QUALITY, you ARE forever HOOKED, NO returning back from mediocre stuffs!
  • Reply 53 of 63
    It's not a question of "high society", "impeccable taste", or other snobbery. Not in the slightest.

Quote:

That is why there is such as thing as Apple LOYALTY--once you taste Apple's impeccable QUALITY, you ARE forever HOOKED, NO returning back from mediocre stuffs EVER!

And that's untrue.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not a question of "high society", "impeccable taste", or other snobbery. Not in the slightest.

And that's untrue.

The statement is neither true or false, it is subjective...depending on the person involved!
  • Reply 55 of 63
    Quote:

The statement is neither true or false, it is subjective...depending on the person involved!

Therefore, as I said, it's false, since you made it a generalization.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Therefore, as I said, it's false, since you made it a generalization.

it is neither true or false, because it is subjective! It can be true to lots of people, and false for some!
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Quote:

it is neither true or false, because it is subjective! It can be true to lots of people, and false for some!

if you have subjective views start your statement with "I think that..."
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

if you have subjective views start your statement with "I think that..."

It is a general statement, and can be interpreted either as being true or false, depending on the person's experience! It is not I who have to qualify it! It's like art--different interpretations for different people!
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

It is a general statement, and can be interpreted either as being true or false, depending on the person's experience! It is not I who have to qualify it! It's like art--different interpretations for different people!

wrong. you are not entitled to your own facts.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

wrong. you are not entitled to your own facts.

Wrong NOT facts, BUT opinions!