Apple begins preparing for 'iPad 3' event with colorful decorations

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So like this (my VLC icon)?

image: http://i.imgur.com/rzNXy.png

I've never understood the traffic cone. It's just a dumb idea.

Better, but as I said unjust don't care enoug to change them. Also, with full screen apps ? something I started enjoying with Mountain Lion ? I don't see my dock icons much at all now.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Anybody think they've worked out what the 'touch' aspect of this event will be yet?

Damned if I can.

Higher-sensitivity touch for the higher resolution?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

The background color image is clearly an eye.

EDIT: OH WAIT... OMFG. This is a Da Vinci Code Moment. Sorry I doubted you.

Wow. *does the butter churning dance* Oh yeah, Oh yeah, Oh baby, Retina, SuperHD, Oh yeah...

DAMN YOU APPLE, I wanted to get some sleep over the next few days!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Hurry up FFS

Indeed.

BTW here are the final images and a render[???] as well:

• Reply 43 of 65
    Quote:

The day they finally fold it into Messages will be a good day.

And have voice chat across all Facetime/Messages so it's just one integrated seamless package of IM, push messaging, voice and video chat.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    There's the Retina Display eye in there

Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I guess we'll just wait and see once the entire window signage is complete.

Quote:

I can look at both right now and tell you for a fact that it's not a closeup of that icon?

Quote:

That's because it is in no way a closeup thereof.

Quote:

Covered in blood and paint of all visible spectrum colors so as to hide all distinguishing features that would give it away as being an eye, right?

• Reply 45 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

BTW here are the final images and a render[???] as well:

That's just a nighttime photo of last year's poster.

Quote:

There's the Retina Display eye in there

That's odd. It sort of looks like an eye, but what's up with the mottled aluminum texture where the eyelashes should be?
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:

That's just a nighttime photo of last year's poster.

OK. Cool.

Quote:

That's odd. It sort of looks like an eye, but what's up with the mottled aluminum texture where the eyelashes should be?

Hard to say, it could be one of the stock photos used to create the Retina icon, they would have had to play with it quite a bit to use it in such a big poster. But I would say it's definitely there, just reposting this here for everyone's reference:

• Reply 47 of 65
    Also, this is uncannily the image used for Apple's icon, and subtly used in the iPad3 graphics above:

[BTW this website has some really excellent wallpapers]

http://www.wallcoo.net/cartoon/color...inbow_eye.html

Apparently the above wallpaper was released early 2010, before the mid-2010 iPhone 4 with Retina Display launch.

I don't know if Apple took it from that free walpaper or whether the wallpaper is trying to recreate Apple's icon.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    Quote:

I don't know if Apple took it from that free walpaper or whether the wallpaper is trying to recreate Apple's icon.

They absolutely took it, you can tell straight off (just edited out the eyelash reflections). That's gorgeous, though. Shame it's no bigger than 1080p. That's discrimination against displays of appropriate size, you know. This isn't 2002 anymore, we demand that OUR GIANT DISPLAYS BE

Et cetera.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Quote:

They absolutely took it, you can tell straight off (just edited out the eyelash reflections). That's gorgeous, though. Shame it's no bigger than 1080p. That's discrimination against displays of appropriate size, you know. This isn't 2002 anymore, we demand that OUR GIANT DISPLAYS BE?

Et cetera.

... Anyway this is some of the stuff on that Wallpaper site:

[not saying he made the eye picture, just thought this series was very cool]

I Chen Lin

http://www.wallcoo.net/cartoon/2560x...rks/index.html

• Reply 50 of 65
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Img2Icns is free, but here's where I got the ICNS files.

Thanks a lot... I got it now.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Even if comes with iOS 6 I still think demoing on an iPad would be more ideal to showcase the new Maps if they add the 3D features I think they will.

I imagine a bit of "Obi wan kenobi your our only hope" 3Dness would do wonders for AAPL
  • Reply 52 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The primary I/O is something you see and touch. I think the email slogan just sounded good and fit the iPad. To wit, I don't think it's a hint to any new touch technology.

If I had to force some reason for touch being part of a new feature I'd simply suggest that you will be touching the HiDPI Retina Display on the next iPad.

"And to touch." has its own sentence. It means something - something beyond the already understood notion that an iPad has a touch screen. That's a given. I'd be willing to bet this means something just a little more...
  • Reply 53 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

"And to touch." has its own sentence. It means something - something beyond the already understood notion that an iPad has a touch screen. That's a given. I'd be willing to bet this means something just a little more...

Tactile feedback? I've always thought each touch could send a small electric charge so your finger would "feel" each press.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

Apart from a better display, what else is the iPad3 expected to have? Better processor and more memory/storage is a given. Some say LTE, but I've not heard about anything else. I'm guessing perhaps a Thunderbolt port, but I'm not sure about that.

What else?

Um, software?

Isn't that what Apple is known for, software?

Software that requires those new hardware specs. Such as iPhoto? Or a mail app that has spam filtering?
  • Reply 55 of 65
    ric.mric.m Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

Mechanical buttons replaced with capacitive touch points. They are a failure point that have resulted in increased warranty costs. Certainly for volume up/down and mute/constrain - menu is a wildcard as its iconic to iOS (but one of the highest failures) but my prediction is that its gone, too.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    “We have something you really have to see. And touch.”

Couldn't this simply mean the new retina display (something to see) on the next iPad (something you touch)? Does everything have to be so cryptic?
  • Reply 57 of 65
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

“We have something you really have to see. And touch.”

Couldn't this simply mean the new retina display (something to see) on the next iPad (something you touch)? Does everything have to be so cryptic?

who says it's cryptic?

• Reply 58 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

who says it's cryptic?

…? That's a pushed-in version of the one I posted earlier. Did Cult of Mac steal that one or did the guy MAKE it for Cult of Mac and then compress it?
  • Reply 59 of 65
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

who says it's cryptic?

Well, all that explanation proves me wrong.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    ...and it's obvious. iPad2 stays with the new processor and Apple will introduce the iPad [insert new name here] - a **smaller** version of the iPad with the retina display and an improved camera. They will be showing it running the new OS. It will be priced starting at $399.00. Count on it.