Apple begins preparing for 'iPad 3' event with colorful decorations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This thing is going to have the same # of pixels as the Cinema Display, in ~ 1/9 the screen size. If true, it's just awesome. https://twitter.com/#!/ankleskater/s...36614608322560

Not the same number but pretty damn close.
    • Cinema Display = 3,686,400 pixels

• Presumed iPad HD = 3,145,728 pixel

To me the most impressive thing will be if they can get 10 or more hours of use on the iPad. It's possible that display unit doesn't need the dual-baclight system (perhaps because it's using AH-IPS) and could even be thinner if they were able to secure Gorilla Glass 2. That extra 0.81mm could be for the needed battery.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Holy crap! I can't believe I haven't seen this discussed before. It's Maps, Calendar and Keynote in the dock. None of which are found there natively.

The Calendar app seems obvious because it shows the day of the event. Keynote can surely refer to the event itself but it could also mean that iWork will be updated. But Maps is the unique one here.

Around 6 months ago I started suggesting that all of Apple's map-based acquisitions could be coming to a head in 2012 if we look at their other app-based cycles. I also stated that the iPad would be the best place to showcase a new Maps app even though iPhone users would use it more. My reason was obviously due to the 10" display. Combine that with 265 PPI and you have a very impressive demo of the future of mapping.

PS: Today I read that Foursquare has dropped Google Maps. i wonder if we'll see a trend.

The Map icon is probably just to signify that the location of the event. Nothing to over think.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

The Map icon is probably just to signify that the location of the event. Nothing to over think.

Indeed. I don't see Apple's three mapping companies coming into play until iOS 6.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Quote:

Yeah, you have a valid point.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Yeah, you have a valid point.

Yeah, hate to burst your bubble but I think Tallest Skil is onto something.

Here's for iOS 6 to feature new map technology!
  • Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:

Yeah, hate to burst your bubble but I think Tallest Skil is onto something.

Here's for iOS 6 to feature new map technology!

Even if comes with iOS 6 I still think demoing on an iPad would be more ideal to showcase the new Maps if they add the 3D features I think they will.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Hurry up FFS

• Reply 28 of 65
    Apart from a better display, what else is the iPad3 expected to have? Better processor and more memory/storage is a given. Some say LTE, but I've not heard about anything else. I'm guessing perhaps a Thunderbolt port, but I'm not sure about that.

What else?
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

Apart from a better display, what else is the iPad3 expected to have?

Cameras to match. 5MP in back, 2048x1536 in front.

Quote:

I'm guessing perhaps a Thunderbolt port, but I'm not sure about that.

Nah.

Quote:

What else?

That's really it.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Even if comes with iOS 6 I still think demoing on an iPad would be more ideal to showcase the new Maps if they add the 3D features I think they will.

Accelerometer-controlled 3D elevation.

Navigation.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Anybody think they've worked out what the 'touch' aspect of this event will be yet?

Damned if I can.

I'm hoping "touch" means what they're announcing will be available immediately, as in "get it in your hands."
  • Reply 32 of 65
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I'm hoping "touch" means what they're announcing will be available immediately, as in "get it in your hands."

Now THAT appeals to me!
  • Reply 33 of 65
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Quote:

But his point was that it's not the same icon. In fact you can see at the bottom right that it's clearly meant to represent some dripping paint.

Bottom line is that this huge image 6 days before the event isn't going to offer us any in-depth clues that we don't already know. Any relevant banners will be inside and covered up until the end of the event.

True, I get his point that it's not the exact icon as it is today. But my original point was that it's weird that neither AI nor MacNN even made mention of the graphic mimicking the Retina Display icon. But perhaps their reason is based on what you say ? it's such old news that Retina Display is part of the announcement, and the reveal of the signage is only important to them to the extent of symbolism that isn't already obvious.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, if they want to change the icon they associate with Retina Displays, more power to them. I'm just saying it's not like that now.

I HATE THAT SO MUCH. Not even going to talk about iTunes. I've been using a replacement for both of their icons since iTunes 8 and QuickTime X, respectively.

Imgur rocks, absolutely.

And I hate the FaceTime icon. It has to be Apple's worst icon ever.

I'd show the image but I hate it so much!!! Besides... I didn't have a URL to store it. \
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

And I hate the FaceTime icon. It has to be Apple's worst icon ever.

I'd show the image but I hate it so much!!! Besides... I didn't have a URL to store it. \

Use Imgur. Probably the single best image site out there. I host all of my Apple Executive image macros there.

This is the icon I use as a FaceTime replacement. The image here is a PNG (since I can't upload the ICNS), but you can use Img2Icns to convert it in seconds.

I like it because it's evocative of the Aperture icon while remaining true to the color scheme of the real FaceTime icon. And ANYTHING is better than the trash that it is now.

The day they finally fold it into Messages will be a good day.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:

It's not likely that Apple will show their hand on Maps to Google until they have it ready. That would give the copycat too much time to copy it.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:

Use Imgur. Probably the single best image site out there. I host all of my Apple Executive image macros there.

[IMG...]

This is the icon I use as a FaceTime replacement. The image here is a PNG (since I can't upload the ICNS), but you can use Img2Icns to convert it in seconds.

I like it because it's evocative of the Aperture icon while remaining true to the color scheme of the real FaceTime icon. And ANYTHING is better than the trash that it is now.

Thanks I'll try to take your suggestions. I like that icon you use too. Is there a place to get the icn? I don't have Img2Icn. I should use Imgur but I've always been paranoid with image sites. I guess I should up my meds!
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:

image http://i.imgur.com/1HCY2.png

I've never had a problem with the icons. I experimented — one time, in college — with different icons but overall I just don't care or notice.

If I had to pick some I think are bad I'd pick VLC and Music on iOS... but maybe I just don't like orange. I certainly do prefer blue, I can say that least.

Quote:

It's not likely that Apple will show their hand on Maps to Google until they have it ready. That would give the copycat too much time to copy it.

I didn't mean to imply demoing it without releasing it within the standard time frame for iOS.

In fact, I can see Maps on the iPad being an impressive demo that Apple might release it on the iPad with whatever version of iOS it comes with and then later for the iPhone/Touch. I do realized that would be atypical but if they offer Siri built-in and voice navigation this might need a small open test forum before going live on their flagship. Still, I give this hypothesis less than a 5% chance.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Quote:

Thanks I'll try to take your suggestions. I like that icon you use too. Is there a place to get the icn? I don't have Img2Icn.

Img2Icns is free, but here's where I got the ICNS files.

Quote:

If I has to pick some I think are bad I'd pick VLC and Music on iOS... but maybe I just don't like orange. I certainly do prefer blue, I can say that least.

So like this (my VLC icon)?

I've never understood the traffic cone. It's just a dumb idea.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The fact that the 2012 invitation says that attendees need to "see" this year's update has been viewed by many as a reference to the high-resolution Retina Display that is expected to be one of the defining features of the next iPad. There has been reports leading up to this year's event that the so-called "iPad 3" will feature a 2,048-by-1,536-pixel display, doubling the resolution and quadrupling the number of pixels of previous iPad screens.

The invitation ALSO said "Touch," which the Apple Insider story cleverly avoided remarking on because they have no idea what that part of the invite might be about.

I predict that Apple will also introduce a new iPod Touch, perhaps with a 7" display.

Remember folks, you read it hear first!