Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 321 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

That's dictation without Siri??

Better. Because I could use one less female voice backtalking to me
  • Reply 322 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Baloney. Android tablets are complete garbage. Android is some crappy Java OS, in which lots of things are laggy and junky. Android is built upon a shitty foundation and it doesn't really matter what hardware specs they have. No matter how much somebody polishes a turd, you'll still end up with a turd in the end.

It's always the same story with Fandroids, just wait until the next version, blah, blah, blah.

I remember Fandroids talking about how some tegra chip was going to destroy the iPad 2 GPU last year, and guess what, when the benchmarks came, the iPad 2 wiped the floor with those other tablets.

Most Android tablets are also 16:9, complete garbage for a tablet. 3:4 is much better suited for a tablet.

I'm sorry but do you own a Android tablet that runs version 4.03. Have you extensively played with it. I really don't think you know what you are talking about. Android is much better suited as a tablet OS then iOS will ever be. Now I like my iPad2 but just for the apps not the OS.

I have a Asus Slider and out of the box before even touching the market for software, it included one year of Asus Webstorage unlimited storage free. Not only was this service available two years before iCloud but the services available puts iCloud to shame. The tablet was able to play every conceivable codec including Divx without buying a app. It came with DLNA player that perfectly plays movies on my TV. It came with a great office package again without having to pay for a app. It had a real filemanger where I could back up the entire drive onto a miniSD, to the cloud or my server. I can connect to any windows or Linux network without buying a app. It has a terminal with which alowd me to further modify and install a LAMP server onto it. It has true multitasking meaning all apps run in the background not just the ones that have To be told to. It's open source software I can make changes, which I have. Listen I can go on and on.

It's obvious that you are just talking out of your ass and have no idea about the true power of Android 4.03.
  • Reply 323 of 445
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

BTW, I wouldn't be too sure that Apple will continue to release only one tablet per year -- I suspect that's why the latest iteration is called the iPad... The iMac often has several releases per year.

Good point!
  • Reply 324 of 445
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    I'm no stranger to the f-word (believe me!), but really think it's jarring and out of place in a forum with no age limits. Am I alone in this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

"MS Office for iPad" as 'One more thing' would have been really cool.

Backchatter says you won't have to wait much longer for Word to join OneNote (already here), with the other two pieces coming as well (simultaneously or otherwise).

MS has already announced it for WOA tabs, and given that Office for Mac is a hit product, and with iPads penetrating the Enterprise, it's really the only way to protect the franchise. Especially since WOA's up to a year from shipping.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Very disappointed there is no 128GB version and I really hate that home button.

This was the one (important to me) checklist upgrade item missing from my personal list of realistic hopes.

Has the price of the chips quit declining (a la tech trends for the last 60 years)? 'Cos they've been stuck at the same size for a few years now, on both iOS and OS X devices - while increasing the size of the content (1080 P, bigger stills, iBooks, etc.).

Maybe with ubiquitous net, iCloud and options like SugarSync local storage really is going to matter less and less. Whatever, I'm finally ready to find out. The name is perfect. This is the first mature iteration of the product.

The lack of Facetime HD (given the component cost) was curious, since it's been in the phone for awhile, but not sure I'll ever use it anyway.

I was hoping for Siri, especially when Cook mentioned it early on. No one (outside of Apple) really seems to know why it's rationed to the iPhone 4s, but I'm guessing it's a server-side capacity and build-out issue, since iPads - even without cellular radios - are clearly designed to be used as net-connected devices - and it would be wildly popular.

In any case, LTE closed the sale for me - the screen was already adequate by me, but I DO notice and gnash my teeth over data latency. Productivity before HD in my book! So my first personal iOS device is weeks away. And now we'll see (whatever the label - see below) if the next iPhone will be my next.

Wish I could say I was as happy about the direction of OS X for power users. But as Cook's stats show, Macs will likely be less than a fifth of AAPL revenue this year, and after all these years wrestling with both major PC OS's I'll make that choice in a bit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I, for one, think they're simply taking my side to end the argument once and for all. No one wants a 6th gen iPhone named 'iPhone 5'. That's just idiocy.

Yep, fer shure, they'd never sell a single one....
  • Reply 325 of 445
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then I'm glad you're not designing systems for Apple. By adding less than a millimeter to the thickness and an ounce to the weight, they were able to get the same battery life while doubling resolution and roughly doubling performance. That seems like a reasonable tradeoff to me.

Yeah, but it's a 42 WHr battery. It ships with the same 10 W wall charger and can still charge off USB power, at least Apple's high powered USB ports. It's going to take 6 to 7 hours to charge it with the wall charger! And I'm wondering if you can even have the display turned on while charging with Apple's 7-8 Watt USB ports in Macs. Such a large battery has it negatives too.

You can make the case that driving down the weight and thickness is more important than choosing a collection of components that requires such a huge battery. Weight is so hugely important to the iPad's usage model. Driving it down to 1 to 1.2 lb increases its handling qualities a great deal.

Quote:

As for the rest, do you have any evidence that Apple low-balled the WiFI performance? For that matter, can you provide any reasonable justification (your silly speculation doesn't count) as to why they'd want to rate their battery life far lower than it's capable of?

I have no evidence. Just educated guesses. I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong when the teardowns are done and 3rd party performance benchmarks completed.

A 28 nm LTE radio chipset isn't in their control, and Qualcomm, the dominant maker, has stated that their combo LTE+HSPA+CDMA chip (MDM 9615) isn't coming until Q2 of 12. "Q2 of 12", to me, means they been delivering in late June in low volumes. So, Apple is 6 months out on this for the the 2012 iPad. They would have needed this chip in Dec to ship in March.

This means they are left with these battery sucking multi-chip solutions that are in other LTE devices.

The A5x is in their control, and a die shrink from 45 nm to 28/32 nm, plus the extra GPU cores, would be a power neutral change. If the A5x is a 32 nm chip, I expect it to draw the same power as the A5, about 250 mW to 1 W depending on load. If they stayed at 45 nm, then wow, Apple just put a ~150 mm^2 chip in the iPad, and power draw probably went up 30 to 40%. They should be able to get Samsung or TSMC to ship A5x chips in time for a March launch, so I think that is the likely scenario.

Lastly, the display. It's an LCD. The major power draw is the backlight. I don't think Apple is going to double the output of backlight here. It just needs to stay in the 500 nit range that they've been using. If they are using IGZO LCDs, I'm more sure that this display is not drawing 2x the power. The point of the IGZO LCD is that it can use smaller crystals due to it's better electrical properties, for more efficient performance and smaller pixels.

So, considering my most likely scenario, they are indeed using an MDM9200/9600 LTE/CDMA/HSPA wireless chipset because Qualcomm simply won't have the power efficient chipset ready until Summer. If they are using these Qualcomm devices, than the WiFi performance on a 42 WHr battery should be about 15-16 hrs give or take an hour.
  • Reply 326 of 445
    Quote:

In what way is Android 4.0.3 better than iOS?

What tablet-specific apps are available for Android 4.0.3?

Case in point: Avid Studio Movie Editing app is available on the iPad for $5...

While I suspect there are Android tablets with better cameras, more RAM, faster CPUs/GPUs, more cores... AFAIK Avid Studio is not available on any Android Tablet running any Android OS...

Why?

What good are better hardware specs and a better OS (your words) if there are no apps to exploit them?

BTW, I wouldn't be too sure that Apple will continue to release only one tablet per year -- I suspect that's why the latest iteration is called the iPad... The iMac often has several releases per year.

I suspect Apple would have gone with more robust parts (CPU, LTE, etc.) if these were available in large enough quantities to satisfy projected sales of 60-100 million units this year.

As newer, cost-effective, more-efficient, more-powerful chips converge on the scene -- I wouldn't be too surprised if Apple released another iPad... The key here, is that the technology that Apple delivers has to include some deliverables (apps, solutions, etc.) that satisfy or create a need -- or set the bar for the next stage of the post-pc era.

Listen I like both platforms, both have their weaknesses and strengths. I don't do much video editing but I just looked it up and Avid is releasing the same version for Android soon, the app is fairly new for iPad. Adobe has a complete suite of apps that are not available for iOS yet. IOS just barely got Photoshop. This doesn't concern me because I use both platforms. I prefer Android 4.03 though I think its closer to OSX. Plus I really need a Linux terminal and filemanger for my work.
  • Reply 327 of 445
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I ordered one for myself and my grandma. I wonder if she will care that she can't access the file system or that it looks similar to the first gen iPad.

The 16th can't get here fast enough.

Oh, and iPhoto is awesome!!
  • Reply 328 of 445
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's obvious that you are just talking out of your ass and have no idea about the true power of Android 4.03.

Nope, you have your own personal needs and I have mine. What's important to you is not necessarily important to me. I don't give a crap about Linux, etc.

My main thing is audio, and Android, even the latest version, is crap at audio apps, horrible latency and not even suited for amateur use.
  • Reply 329 of 445
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drealoth View Post

I am really curious to see how the iPad can push that many pixels, especially in more graphically intensive games. Most desktop computers would struggle with that resolution.

The next several generations of Apple products are going to be interesting. Now that resolution is no longer a feature that's worth improving on, I'm curious to see what the next generations of iPhone/iPads will do to distinguish themselves.

Watching the keynote the guy from ea said that there game infinity blade dungeons was pushing more pixels and resolution than either the xbox 360 or the PS3. It was drop dead gorgeous by the way.
  • Reply 330 of 445
    Quote:

I'm getting this weird vibe that people aren't all that excited about this release. Has Apple become victim of its own success? Is this just another day at the office, yaya a new iPad, wow cool, what's on TV tonight honey.

No. That's just Apple without Steve's legendary presentation skills. The man was a perfectionist at the art of the unveiling. Steve's keynotes were never boring. All of the product unveilings since Steve went away haven't been that great, but the product stands on it's own merits.

Quote:

Anybody else think the same way, is iOS getting a little long in the tooth, a little on the boring side.

If you mean is iOS boring? It's simple, and that's what makes it elegant. For example, when the Mac first came out and let you put icons anywhere, they had to have a "auto arrange" function in Finder to clean up the overlapping mess. iOS has no such functions because it got it right: icons are separated and arranged neatly in a grid. This is an example of simplicity and elegance. Boring? That's a reflection of your point of view, not a property of iOS. You can add complexity, chrome, and animations to make it "exciting," but that doesn't make it better, I would argue.
  • Reply 331 of 445
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

Honest question.

We have a Nintendo Wii. and the 2 boys each have an iPad 1 64 GB WiFi...

I have an iPad 2 WiFI+3G 64 GB.

I just ordered a iPad 3 and plan on handing down my iPad 2 to my 13-year-old grandson who is into gaming...

So far we are able to buy lots of games & apps and share them among the 5 iPads in use in our household.

Now, the 13-year-old is saving to buy a PS 3.

I looked on Amazon and it appears he will probably need to spend over $300 to get a usable multi-player system.

Then, the better games cost $40-$60 each....

Is there that much difference in the PS and the iPad 2?

What about the potential of the iPad 3 for gaming?

I would prefer to help him buy an iPad 3, if possible -- so he could take advantage of our current game apps... and hopefully any iPad 3-specific game apps will cost less than the PS 3 apps.

Are the PS 3 games that much better -- enough to justify the cost difference?

We have a little time (his birthday is in November, and he's not much of a saver)...

Should I wait and see for iPad 3 games... or just go with the flow?

TIA

Dick

Well don't look at the PS3 as just a gaming console, its a blu ray player, plays Netflix and Hulu. Its a pretty versatile device.
  • Reply 332 of 445
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

I'm sorry but do you own a Android tablet that runs version 4.03. Have you extensively played with it. I really don't think you know what you are talking about. Android is much better suited as a tablet OS then iOS will ever be. Now I like my iPad2 but just for the apps not the OS.

I have a Asus Slider and out of the box before even touching the market for software, it included one year of Asus Webstorage unlimited storage free. Not only was this service available two years before iCloud but the services available puts iCloud to shame. The tablet was able to play every conceivable codec including Divx without buying a app. It came with DLNA player that perfectly plays movies on my TV. It came with a great office package again without having to pay for a app. It had a real filemanger where I could back up the entire drive onto a miniSD, to the cloud or my server. I can connect to any windows or Linux network without buying a app. It has a terminal with which alowd me to further modify and install a LAMP server onto it. It has true multitasking meaning all apps run in the background not just the ones that have To be told to. It's open source software I can make changes, which I have. Listen I can go on and on.

There's alot of bullshit in your post, can't really address it all. None of the things you mentioned make Android more 'suited' as a tablet OS. LAMP server? How many potential tablet owners care or even know what the hell that is? I own an ICS tablet. And no, you're utterly and completely wrong. ICS is great on phones, but currently sucks on tablets. But you don't have to take my word for it. Most tech blogs agree. Josh Topolsky, editor of www.theVerge.com loves Android, the GN is his favorite phone, and calls ICS on tablets 'pathetic'. So don't try to frame this about some apple-fanboys or some shit that just don't agree. Most people who have used iPads and Android tablets (yes, ICS included) wouldn't agree with you. How many tablet optimized apps are there for android? Very, very few. All that shit you mentioned is irrelevant to the vast majority of consumers, who aren't tech geeks like yourself, and irrelevant to the suitability of Android to a tablet. Sure, you might prefer open-source so you can 'make changes'. But again, this has nothing to do with the issue. In the real world (ie. outside of messageboard forums) the reality is that Android tablets are for the most part a very underwhelming, janky experience are are usually utterly unoptimized for any tablet task. When are you going to see an app like iPhoto on an Android tablet- with the level of power, beauty, intuitiveness, and innovation that it showed? Probably never, because creating an app like that that would work well on a million screen resolution and hardware configurations is almost impossible.
  • Reply 333 of 445
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well don't look at the PS3 as just a gaming console, its a blu ray player, plays Netflix and Hulu. Its a pretty versatile device.

How many kids have a collection of blu-ray discs to play? I don't have a PS3, but it's not exactly a new device, and I've read that it's kind of noisy. This is 2012, annoying noise on devices is unacceptable. That's one thing that makes the iPad so great, it's dead quiet, it has no fans or other crap inside of it. You can watch a movie or listen to audio/music while the device is completely silent.
  • Reply 334 of 445
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Listen I like both platforms, both have their weaknesses and strengths. I don't do much video editing but I just looked it up and Avid is releasing the same version for Android soon, the app is fairly new for iPad. Adobe has a complete suite of apps that are not available for iOS yet. IOS just barely got Photoshop. This doesn't concern me because I use both platforms. I prefer Android 4.03 though I think its closer to OSX. Plus I really need a Linux terminal and filemanger for my work.

OK... I see your point that Android may be a better fit for your needs as it is closer to the iron...

I don't know if you need to root Android to get what you need... but I know that you can JailBreak iOS and essentially you have OS X with the 'Nix file system -- a while back, I jailBroke an iPad and an AppleTV -- was running Apache, etc. and streaming web videos in lots of codecs that iOS doesn't support.

But that's not Apple's target market -- and I suspect it isn't Google's target market, either.

Apple sold 45 million iPads. alone. last year... I suspect there aren't 1 million users that need to run ssh on a tablet (with the possible exception of IT specialists managing a farm of headless servers).

But. unless Google can somehow convince the manufactures to standardize on a set of features, I don't know how they will be able to attract developers in realistic numbers, for significant main-stream apps. If they can't do this, I fail to see how they could sell more than a few million tablets per year in an unsubsidized market.

I honestly believe they are between the proverbial rock and a hard place -- if they standardize the iOS for moto hardware they will lose the others -- if they don't they will miss the bulk of the opportunity in the tablet marketplace...

Better isn't always better than most accepted!

• Reply 335 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't think he was complaining about the iPad's battery life.

To me he was saying that LTE sucks the death out of batteries.

Actually only a 10% difference with LTE turned on.
  • Reply 336 of 445
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I ordered one for myself and my grandma. I wonder if she will care that she can't access the file system or that it looks similar to the first gen iPad.

The 16th can't get here fast enough.

Oh, and iPhoto is awesome!!

Ahh... iPhoto iOS... the software hit of the show...

Randy U demoed how a well-designed touch UI can be used to take a series of complex editing operations and make them drop-dead simple -- available to the common man (or grandma)

Randy wrote the original Final Cut app, iMovie '08 (fiasco turned hero) and, lately, FCP X, Final Cut Pro X -- rapidly becoming the worst, most maligned, best video editor out there.

Watching the iPhoto demo you can see the future of touch-editing... There are some things that Randy showed that just can't be done better on a non-touch machine.!

I suspect that a year from now, we'll see a top-quality complex video shot on multiple iPhones and edited on an iPad.

• Reply 337 of 445
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Baloney. Android tablets are complete garbage. Android is some crappy Java OS, in which lots of things are laggy and junky. Android is built upon a shitty foundation and it doesn't really matter what hardware specs they have. No matter how much somebody polishes a turd, you'll still end up with a turd in the end.

It's always the same story with Fandroids, just wait until the next version, blah, blah, blah.

I remember Fandroids talking about how some tegra chip was going to destroy the iPad 2 GPU last year, and guess what, when the benchmarks came, the iPad 2 wiped the floor with those other tablets.

Most Android tablets are also 16:9, complete garbage for a tablet. 3:4 is much better suited for a tablet.

I disagree with the "screen ratio", it's just a matter of taste. 16:9 is a ratio picked for home video, films used to have much wider ratios. IMAX films are closer to 4:3 and are 2K or 4K. So it's completely possible for a IMax film to be viewable on the iPad with much less detail lost to being cropped into 16:9.

Android however, gets no love at all from business analysts. Just today on Bloomberg West they had someone on that explains business justification for developing for the iPad or Android and it was like "when you build for iOS it works on everything, when you build for Android, it only works on one device and might not work on any others." All the money is on the iOS ecosystem. Not Android.

Call it fragmented, call it "lowest common denominator feature set", call it whatever you want, but Google only succeeded in displacing older cheap or throwaway feature/dumbphones with smartphones that make less ARPU.
  • Reply 338 of 445
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Funny, I don't see a single thing in your post that makes Android 4.03 (or any other version, for that matter) better suited as a tablet OS than iOS. You made the claim-how about substantiating it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Yeah, but it's a 42 WHr battery. It ships with the same 10 W wall charger and can still charge off USB power, at least Apple's high powered USB ports. It's going to take 6 to 7 hours to charge it with the wall charger! And I'm wondering if you can even have the display turned on while charging with Apple's 7-8 Watt USB ports in Macs. Such a large battery has it negatives too.

You can make the case that driving down the weight and thickness is more important than choosing a collection of components that requires such a huge battery. Weight is so hugely important to the iPad's usage model. Driving it down to 1 to 1.2 lb increases its handling qualities a great deal.

I have no evidence. Just educated guesses. I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong when the teardowns are done and 3rd party performance benchmarks completed.

A 28 nm LTE radio chipset isn't in their control, and Qualcomm, the dominant maker, has stated that their combo LTE+HSPA+CDMA chip (MDM 9615) isn't coming until Q2 of 12. "Q2 of 12", to me, means they been delivering in late June in low volumes. So, Apple is 6 months out on this for the the 2012 iPad. They would have needed this chip in Dec to ship in March.

This means they are left with these battery sucking multi-chip solutions that are in other LTE devices.

The A5x is in their control, and a die shrink from 45 nm to 28/32 nm, plus the extra GPU cores, would be a power neutral change. If the A5x is a 32 nm chip, I expect it to draw the same power as the A5, about 250 mW to 1 W depending on load. If they stayed at 45 nm, then wow, Apple just put a ~150 mm^2 chip in the iPad, and power draw probably went up 30 to 40%. They should be able to get Samsung or TSMC to ship A5x chips in time for a March launch, so I think that is the likely scenario.

Lastly, the display. It's an LCD. The major power draw is the backlight. I don't think Apple is going to double the output of backlight here. It just needs to stay in the 500 nit range that they've been using. If they are using IGZO LCDs, I'm more sure that this display is not drawing 2x the power. The point of the IGZO LCD is that it can use smaller crystals due to it's better electrical properties, for more efficient performance and smaller pixels.

So, considering my most likely scenario, they are indeed using an MDM9200/9600 LTE/CDMA/HSPA wireless chipset because Qualcomm simply won't have the power efficient chipset ready until Summer. If they are using these Qualcomm devices, than the WiFi performance on a 42 WHr battery should be about 15-16 hrs give or take an hour.

Your educated guess isn't very good. You're pretending that you know more about the iPad 3's performance than Apple does. That is, of course, total BS.

The fact is that LTE only reduces the tablet's life by 10% - so LTE on the iPad clearly isn't the battery life killer you're whining about.

But feel free to provide evidence (rather than your uneducated guesses.

Quote:

Actually the ram issue is still up in the air 512mb or1gb. As far as Android tablets being dead this year well I highly doubt it, Samsung is rumored to be releasing a 2500 x 1600 super OMLED display in the second quarter. The new Qualcomm S4 pros are extremely fast CPUs and waste the Nvidia Tegra3 which means it will most likely give the A5x a run for its money and well Android 4.03 is a much better tablet OS then iOS. Windows 8, sucks really bad right now. It's running two desktops in one. Ridiculously nerve racking when your bouncing back and forth from Metro to Cassic. Metro Arm on a tablet that might be different story we'll just have to wait and see.

Android tablets, they've just began to come out with some really great ones, checkout what Asus is doing, Prime 2 700T with 1920x1080 rez, sure not as a great as Apple's offering but the keyboard docking station has another battery in it for a total of 16 hours. The new Padphone, it's a phone that turns into a tablet, a tablet that turns into a laptop, how cool is that. It's only March baby, Apple only releases one tablet a year there is plenty of time for Android tablet to play catchup.

Isn't that the way it always works. 100 tablets released last year and every one was going to be an iPad killer - until it was released. Then people realized that it was just one more POS.

Feel free to come back and talk when there's something on the market that can actually be compared to the iPad. I'm not interested in your wet dreams.
  • Reply 339 of 445
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Uh . . . Apple is going to talk about the new features of their product. Which also happens to include a spec bump.

But yes, you're essentially correct: Apple's is the most usable tablet on the market.

Reading comprehension fail?

Who said its the "most usable tablet"? Not me.

Delusional fan thinks 1 + 1 = 3.
  • Reply 340 of 445
    Quote:

Nope, you have your own personal needs and I have mine. What's important to you is not necessarily important to me. I don't give a crap about Linux, etc.

My main thing is audio, and Android, even the latest version, is crap at audio apps, horrible latency and not even suited for amateur use.

Yea that is what I still use my iPad for, oh the latency problem turned out to be false after Google showed developers how to do it which funny thing also happened with iOS in the beginning. If you kept up with your reading you would have known this. So pretty much all those apps that you hold dearly will soon be available on Android starting with KORG! In fact there is one app that is just incredible and was justreleased for Android only. Checkout out AudioSketch, awesome.