Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 281 of 445
    The New iPad.

Stunning.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 282 of 445
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Just ordered mine... Took forever to get through.
  • Reply 283 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The New iPad.

Stunning.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Care to elaborate?
  • Reply 284 of 445
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I was comparing the S4 to Nvidia Tegra3 not Apples A5x, please read my post again.

I understood what you were saying. I was just hoping apple went with the S4.

BTW Ti doesnt make the S4. Qualcomm does. Ti makes omap
  • Reply 285 of 445
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Like I said earlier, Apple could be lowballing the WiFi benchmark. 10 hrs appears to be one of those magic numbers to Apple, and they may not want to over advertise the number (ie, quote a 15 hr number) to protect their future products.

And like I said earlier, if the WiF battery performance testing shows it is indeed 10 hours, than Apple is using an LTE radio with the same power draw as HSPA radios today and it is either the A5x or the display causing the increased power draw.

I however am skeptical about this. It seems like a very poor design choice to use a display or a SoC that is almost 2x the power draw.

Then I'm glad you're not designing systems for Apple. By adding less than a millimeter to the thickness and an ounce to the weight, they were able to get the same battery life while doubling resolution and roughly doubling performance. That seems like a reasonable tradeoff to me.

As for the rest, do you have any evidence that Apple low-balled the WiFI performance? For that matter, can you provide any reasonable justification (your silly speculation doesn't count) as to why they'd want to rate their battery life far lower than it's capable of?

There are two possible scenarios:

1. As you suggest, Apple is lying about its WiFi battery life and intentionally making its tablet look worse than it is (and worse than possible competitor's tablets) just so that they can pretend that LTE doesn't draw much power.

or

2. You don't know what you're talking about and Apple's figures are accurate - which means that LTE isn't drawing all that much power.

The latter is far, far, far more likely.
  • Reply 286 of 445
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    This just in...

Microsoft announces that they will rename Windows 8 to "the new Windows"

Google announces that Gmail will be renamed "the new Gmail beta"

Apple has applied for a copyright on the phrase "the new"

Proview Technologies released a statement saying "We trademarked the name "the new IPad" and Apple cannot use it."

• Reply 287 of 445
    cityguidecityguide Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

iPad

<snip>

Where other tablets are.

...this was great use of white space.
  • Reply 288 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

I understood what you were saying. I was just hoping apple went with the S4.

BTW Ti doesnt make the S4. Qualcomm does. Ti makes omap

Yes, yes your right f**k I'm usually better then that, dope! Yeah the S4 is pretty incredible.
  • Reply 289 of 445
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Aren't you an Apple shareholder? Did you ever look at the 10-K?

“(Apple) recognizes revenue when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred. For most of (Apple)’s product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped."

Very nice. Thanks.

But as people have repeatedly pointed out, you do have a slight comprehension issue. What Apple says is that: (i) Four specific criteria have to be met for a transaction to be booked as "sales"; (ii) In Apple's experience - understandable, given how popular its products are, how high its quality is, how satisfied its customers are, and possibly how few are returned, compared to say, a Samsung - these four criteria are met most of the time at the time of of shipping; (iii) Returns would count against criterion #4, so they cannot be counted as "sales." (iv) Their definition of "sales" would therefore be net of returns (regardless of who returned them, whether a retailer or an end-user).

This is not the same same as saying "most of time shipping equals sales". Can you spot the difference? (Hint: That's the type of conflation that a Samsung or low-quality tech journalist might use in using the word "shipped").

If you wish to continue to be obtuse about this, that's your wont.
  • Reply 290 of 445
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bizwarrior View Post

Just the usual heavy hands of apple fanboys that cannot take dissension I will move along rather than point out the disappointments ......

Thank you for sharing. We value your opinion.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showpost

01-27-2010

"You are just going to have an ipad paperweight in a couple of years just like I had a newton paperweight after two years! This has Newton debacle written all over it! Very underwhelming hardware!"
  • Reply 291 of 445
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I guess the iPad name will now forever be "the new iPad". Year after year, the processor will improve, as well as the storage capacity, but the product is now finalized. It will be a Killer ...

But whatcha gonna call this new iPad when the next new iPad comes out next year, the old new iPad?
  • Reply 292 of 445
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I, for one, think they're simply taking my side to end the argument once and for all. No one wants a 6th gen iPhone named 'iPhone 5'. That's just idiocy.

And if you're gonna hide text on this site, truly HIDE the text!

No One?

Please don't pretend to speak for everyone on here. I would be very happy with an iPhone 5.
  • Reply 293 of 445
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loismustdie View Post

I wasn't expecting a revolution but this is a very easy pass, underwhelmed.

Seconded.

*yawnsville*

/cranks up "Wonderful Woman" by The Smiths
  • Reply 294 of 445
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But whatcha gonna call this new iPad when the next new iPad comes out next year, the old new iPad?

The iPad.

Just like Apple doesn't advertise version numbers on the iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, iPod, and so on.

When they do need to distinguish between versions, they either use the formal version number (iMac 5.1) or the date (MacBook Pro early 2011).

This simply brings the iPad more in line with their traditional practice.
  • Reply 295 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yes, yes your right f**k I'm usually better then that, dope! Yeah the S4 is pretty incredible.

One of the coolest features is on thei pro model, each cpu can run at different speeds. So the OS can assign say one cpu to run at 400 MHZ for your Twitter and Facebook background processs and then another 400 or 800 or whatever is needed to updating your apps and have the remaining CPUs running at their full 1.5 GHZ to play Shadowgun. Android unfortunately is needed as its a true multitasking OS. Which is okay by me as I really like the Android 4.03. It's so much more powerful then iOS but Apple has all the cool apps so I won't be moving completely to Android anytime soon.
  • Reply 296 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Seconded.

*yawnsville*

/cranks up "Wonderful Woman" by The Smiths

May I ask what you were expecting and what you are currently using for your tablet needs?
  • Reply 297 of 445
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And if you're gonna hide text on this site, truly HIDE the text!

I had forgotten to record the colour but I knew you'd remind me.
  • Reply 298 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

No One?

Please don't pretend to speak for everyone on here. I would be very happy with an iPhone 5.

... and I don't give a shit if they call it the iPhone 1.

So, no, not everyone...
  • Reply 299 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The iPad.

Just like Apple doesn't advertise version numbers on the iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, iPod, and so on.

When they do need to distinguish between versions, they either use the formal version number (iMac 5.1) or the date (MacBook Pro early 2011).

This simply brings the iPad more in line with their traditional practice.

I think they'll start using 2nd gen, 3rd gen etc.
  • Reply 300 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Thank you for sharing. We value your opinion.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showpost

01-27-2010

"You are just going to have an ipad paperweight in a couple of years just like I had a newton paperweight after two years! This has Newton debacle written all over it! Very underwhelming hardware!"

Hey I still have my Newton, loved that little guy. Let's find this guy and kick his ass. Can I just watch thow I'm only 5,5 and I'm a girl but I totally would be cheering.