Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 101 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Well looks like LTE battery life still sucks. New iPad is 42.5W vs 25w in iPad 2. That's a pretty big jump. Still no word on RAM increase either.

If you come to that conclusion you also have to say the '3G' in the new iiPad sucks worse than the last year's chips because it's only gone up by 11% despite the battery going up 70%.

I think the better conclusion is that the display and associated components are to blame. We'll have to see some exhaustive testing from AnandTech but that MDM9615 is looking pretty impressive.
  • Reply 102 of 445
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Well looks like LTE battery life still sucks. New iPad is 42.5W vs 25w in iPad 2. That's a pretty big jump. Still no word on RAM increase either.

They've never acknowledged that it even has RAM! It always been established by post purchase teardowns.
  • Reply 103 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do other tablets offer more than 9 hours on LTE?

I love how you crop off all my comments to cherry pick and troll me. I already explained in this thread it doesn't really matter how Apple got there. My point is Apple didn't do anything magical with the chipset. You take everything I say as an offense. Chill out. Motorola crammed a enormous battery in the Razr Maxx, does that mean they are awesome too? Apple battery stuffed their way to an (alleged) 9hr LTE life. Ok? So? fine. Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE is rated for 12hrs and most tests put it at about 8. :shrug:
  • Reply 104 of 445
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,105member
    No flash on the camera.

No T-Mobile service?

I have been very impressed with T-Mobile. I find they offer that most diverse plan options (Right now I am on the 1500 text/ minute and 30GB web plan for $30/ month) and also the best coverage. In my apartment MetroPCS, AT&T, and Verizon do not pick up signals, but T-Mobile does, even on a cheap entry level Samsung flip phone.

Now with the 4GLTE service, I expect T-Mobile to be announced when the iPhone 5 is released, which I will gladly purchase.
  • Reply 105 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Because they know people would end up just buying the base model and expanding the storage space on their own.

Also, maybe there's some proprietary file system they don't want microSD cards to be capable of...

Oh that makes sense not very nice of Apple to do that.. I think I'll stick with my iPad2 until such time they come out with a music creation app that needs the higher resolution. In the mean time I'm saving my pennies for the new Asus Transformer Prime with 1920x1080 rez. Not as fancy as a iPod3 but I really the keyboard with the extra battery and Android 4.03 is a lot more flexible when it comes to running Linux apps.
  • Reply 106 of 445
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    As a package, with improved hardware and software, a great improvement over the existing model. The screen performance looks fantastic. As for the camera, I'd rather have improved optics over a greater number of pixels. Seems to me that the lens/package redesign is significant and understated. Five elements in the space seems pretty good. I have designed lenses, though some time a go but think that camera performance will be rated quite highly - time will tell.
  • Reply 107 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you come to that conclusion you also have to say the '3G' in the new iiPad sucks worse than the last year's chips because it's only gone up by 11% despite the battery going up 70%.

I think the better conclusion is that the display and associated components are to blame. We'll have to see some exhaustive testing from AnandTech but that MDM9615 is looking pretty impressive.

We still have zero indication that's what's actually being used.
  • Reply 108 of 445
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loismustdie View Post

I wasn't expecting a revolution but this is a very easy pass, underwhelmed.

Sorry to hear that Lois.
  • Reply 109 of 445
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:

I love how you crop off all my comments to cherry pick and troll me. I already explained in this thread it doesn't really matter how Apple got there. My point is Apple didn't do anything magical with the chipset. You take everything I say as an offense. Chill out. Motorola crammed a enormous battery in the Razr Maxx, does that mean they are awesome too? Apple battery stuffed their way to an (alleged) 9hr LTE life. Ok? So? fine. Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE is rated for 12hrs and most tests put it at about 8. :shrug:

yeah no more Magic. Bigger battery.
  • Reply 110 of 445
    So, regarding pre-ordering "The new iPad"... I have a question. If I pre-order today, can I designate an Apple Store to pick it up at on launch day or do I only have the option to have it shipped to my home?

I would like to pre-order an iPad to guarantee that I get one on launch day, but would actually enjoy the experience of going to the (very nice) mall nearby, where the Apple Store is located, to pick it up. I actually enjoyed the line wait (and company) when I "reserved" and then picked up the first-generation iPad back in 2010. Would love to be able to do that again, but am willing to pay up-front, online, to do so.
  • Reply 111 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

They've never acknowledged that it even has RAM! It always been established by post purchase teardowns.

One of Apple guys handling the demo units said 512mb I have a friend who is at the event. I'm asking her to verify that one more time please hold.
  • Reply 112 of 445
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Why wasn't Scott Forstall part of today's presentation?
  • Reply 113 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I love how you crop off all my comments to cherry pick and troll me.

If I misinterpreted your comment (I note that I didn't), please rectify my error.

Quote:

Apple battery stuffed their way to an (alleged) 9hr LTE life. Ok? So? fine. Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE is rated for 12hrs and most tests put it at about 8. :shrug:

Okay. That's what I asked for. It's not a big production number here.
  • Reply 113 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

They did mention that the new iPad has more memory than either the PS3 or Xbox 360. Each of those has 512MB so it's possible to say this has 1GB in it.
  • Reply 115 of 445
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You people crack me up, seriously.

Its not unexpected though. At this point the iPad is a mature product. As such, you're probably just going to see incremental improvements in specs and software. Most of us understand that, and thus this announcement is exactly what we were expecting.

However the hype surrounding this event implied that apple had something revolutionary up their sleeve. Its no surprise then, that people who had those expectations be underwhelmed when they're presented with nothing but evolutionaty upgrades.
  • Reply 116 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

One of Apple guys handling the demo units said 512mb I have a friend who is at the event. I'm asking her to verify that one more time please hold.

That sounds a lot like last year when there were erroneous reports that the iPad 2 only had 256MB just because of a lowly person saying so.
  • Reply 117 of 445
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Why wasn't Scott Forstall part of today's presentation?

Think WWDC.
  • Reply 118 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't think he was complaining about the iPad's battery life.

To me he was saying that LTE sucks the death out of batteries.

Nailed it.
  • Reply 119 of 445
    kmareikmarei Posts: 185member
    WooHoo!

now with 4G, i can hit my limit on my "UNLIMITED" AT&T plan even quicker
  • Reply 120 of 445
    mgsarchmgsarch Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

lower price, lighter in weight, longer battery life, bigger screen, 3D, 8mp camera minimum, hd facetime, maybe an ipad mini *7 inch.

I also for some reason thought we would see them do something like a touch screen bezel with dynamic buttons.

Maybe ipad 4

Interesting, since none of these features were ever even being speculated about in the rumor mill.