Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 61 of 445
    iPad 2 lives on at 16GB for $399.
  • Reply 62 of 445
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    Name has come.

It's "The new iPad"

• Reply 63 of 445
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think processing is the issue. To do dictation I'd think you'd need something good like Dragon. Perhaps erroneously I thought Dragon wasn't feasible to be installed on a handheld.

I certainly hope it's local, as TS point out, not every iPad is connected to the internet, like a phone would be.

If you have att not all iphones are connected to the internet
  • Reply 64 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

Name has come.

It's "The new iPad"

Hopefully the iPhone 6 will just be the iPhone.

Then the 'iPhone 5' nonsense will shut up once and for all.

And the event's over! Yay! Time to download me some GarageBand, wait for iOS 5.1, and then jailbreak it and put iMovie on my first-gen iPad.

Of course you know that iPhoto's not gonna work on my version. And then what's the point of the Photos app? I hope it gets REPLACED by iPhoto entirely.
  • Reply 65 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

no I'm serious. Given where other tablets are, I thought Apple would raise the bar that high, but it's all good because the ipad 3 is still a great tablet. I guess I just revealed how highly I actually think of Apple.

Lower price - With that display and all the associated HW that wasn't going to happen. Next year we'll probably get a doubling of NAND, but the price won't be lower. After all they can't keep them in stock so I would argue that Apple priced them too low for the market*.

Lighter in weight - Again, the display. Even without the dual light bar it would likely need a larger battery to deal with the display and associated componets thus making it heavier, mostly because of the battery with a little for the additional casing material and any display panel weight. Note that the iPhone has gotten heavier on many occasions.

Longer battery life - Again, same thing with going Retina Display.

Bigger screen - You're talking about an entirely new UI. Add that to a new resolution for the 9.7" model and you just add insult to injury. Plus, this would fly against your desire to also make it lighter and have a lower in price

3D - I don't even now why that would be an option but it also would add cost and lower battery life.

8mp camera minimum - That could have happened. I can see that as a feasible expectation.

HD FaceTime camera - That didn't happen? I'm a little surprised since I think the iPhone 4S has it but I also don't think it's a big deal all this considered.

7" iPad Mini - That would be something that would come later when Apple isn't getting developers to start working on a new display resolution. Plus, with all the leaks of the 9.7" display there were no leaks of a 7" display.

* that's an economic observation not a desire for the prices to be raised.
  • Reply 66 of 445
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Have they released the specs on the A5x yet? I know its 2x A9, but do we know the clock speeds yet? Any specs on the GPU; I would guess it will have to be significantly improved to be able to drive that screen.

Speaking of screens, I hope this will act as the catalyst to drive screen improvement on laptops. It doesn't feel right that the ipad has a significantly better screen than the macbook pro.

The non-increase in price is a big deal imo. It will be interesting to see how Apple's competitors will react to this. Asus announced a tablet with similar specs, but it is 100 more than the base ipad. And with this announcement, I don't see that tablet being very desireable now.
  • Reply 67 of 445
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

i'm really curious... What the fuck were you expecting?

+1
  • Reply 68 of 445
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hopefully the iPhone 6 will just be the iPhone.

Then the 'iPhone 5' nonsense will shut up once and for all.

Agreed.
  • Reply 69 of 445
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Asus announced a tablet with similar specs, but it is 100 more than the base ipad. And with this announcement, I don't see that tablet being very desireable now.

It has the keyboard dock and sd card slot, but as always with apple's competitors the street price will be lower than the advertised price.

They will have to be b.t.w.
  • Reply 70 of 445
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member
    So high res screen (nice... i guess. Still not the greatest contrast ratio out there, would have liked to see OLED tech so you could get the deep blacks, but still good), 5MP camera (meh), speech to text (which has been on every phone for years now). Quad core processor (done to death at MWC, heck tegra 3 even has FIVE CORES!)

What is the game changer? What is the hype feature?

Was expecting more. If they did indeed find a way for you to 'feel' surfaces using haptic feedback so a rough surface feels rough whereas a smooth surface feels smooth, that would have been amazing.

Or even the rumoured gesture control so you could control the ipad using 3d space gestures without actually touching the screen.

As it is, it has a nice screen which not that many people will be even able to tell apart from the other screens out there.

Oh well, it will sell millions upon millions, and at the end of the day, its not whether its good or game changing, its that it sells millions.
  • Reply 71 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, you've revealed how outlandish your predictions are.

The week before the first iPad launch, people were screaming for full OS X, a touch-sensitive back, solar charging, and all sorts of nonsense.

8mp camera is outlandish? Bigger display or lighter weight are outlandish?

What the hell are you talking about?? The touch sensitive dynamic button-less bezel idea was admittedly outlandish, but not beyond the realm of capability with Apple.
  • Reply 72 of 445
    Quote:

Have they released the specs on the A5x yet? I know its 2x A9, but do we know the clock speeds yet? Any specs on the GPU; I would guess it will have to be significantly improved to be able to drive that screen.

GPU: SGX543MP4+, same as PS Vita.
  • Reply 73 of 445
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    http://nexus404.com/Blog/2012/02/06/...ecent-reports/

They must've added the Audience EarSmart technology for cleaning up your voice for greater accuracy.
  • Reply 74 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

What's the official name? iPad HD or iPad 3?

Doesn't f'ing matter. It's awesome.
  • Reply 75 of 445
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:

Speaking of screens, I hope this will act as the catalyst to drive screen improvement on laptops. It doesn't feel right that the ipad has a significantly better screen than the macbook pro.

The non-increase in price is a big deal imo. It will be interesting to see how Apple's competitors will react to this. Asus announced a tablet with similar specs, but it is 100 more than the base ipad. And with this announcement, I don't see that tablet being very desireable now.

GPU is rumored to be the same with the sony vita which is a SGX543MP4+ a quadcore version of the current iPad 2 gpu a SGX543MP2+.

CPU is probably 1.5 GHZ A5
  • Reply 76 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

5MP camera (meh)

So from "it's a tablet. Who takes pictures on a tablet? This is stupid." to "the camera isn't good enough", huh?

Quote:

speech to text (which has been on every phone for years now).

I'm sorry, we're talking about working technology. If you like, we can create a humor category and submit that stuff.

Quote:

Quad core processor (done to death at MWC, heck tegra 3 even has FIVE CORES!)

Why haven't you been banned yet?

Quote:

What is the game changer? What is the hype feature?

The game changer is that Apple has done all these features correctly and will make money on them while everyone else just cries silently to themselves and pretends not to notice that no one is buying their tablets or making any money.

Quote:

As it is, it has a nice screen which not that many people will be even able to tell apart from the other screens out there.

"I have never even seen this screen, and as such am an expert on how it looks and how every single person on the planet will judge it."

SHUT UP. This is foolishness of the highest tier.
  • Reply 77 of 445
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

They are emphasizing the microphone, but never said or showed a sign for Siri (based on the Engadget stream).

The 4 cores should be enough to do the Speech to Text natively. A huge plus for the iPad for writers.

It could be that, since unlike the iPhone the iPad is not always a connected device, that Apple chose not to release a feature that would only work some of the time and on only a percentage of models.

Native speech to text is huge though.
  • Reply 78 of 445
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

8GB was always laughable.

A non-insignificant percentage of iPad users have no media stored on their iPad. For these customers, minimal storage is desirable from a price standpoint. This is especially true for businesses that use iPads. Frequently they only need email, web browsing and a couple custom apps. These fit quite easily in 8GB. They'd probably even fit in 4GB.

Though with declining prices for storage, it isn't unreasonable to include more than needed. Either way, 8GB wasn't laughable. It served a subset of customers quite well.
  • Reply 79 of 445
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Resolution can be measured or expressed either linearly (one dimension) or by area (two dimensions).

Wrong.

You have to use some sort of qualifier if you only mean "one dimension". For example, the display has a vertical resolution of 1536 pixels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

-kpluck
  • Reply 80 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Lower price - With that display and all the associated HW that wasn't going to happen. Next year we'll probably get a doubling of NAND, but the price won't be lower. After all they can't keep them in stock so I would argue that Apple priced them too low for the market*.

Lighter in weight - Again, the display. Even without the dual light bar it would likely need a larger battery to deal with the display and associated componets thus making it heavier, mostly because of the battery with a little for the additional casing material and any display panel weight. Note that the iPhone has gotten heavier on many occasions.

Longer battery life - Again, same thing with going Retina Display.

Bigger screen - You're talking about an entirely new UI. Add that to a new resolution for the 9.7" model and you just add insult to injury. Plus, this would fly against your desire to also make it lighter and have a lower in price

3D - I don't even now why that would be an option but it also would add cost and lower battery life.

8mp camera minimum - That could have happened. I can see that as a feasible expectation.

HD FaceTime camera - That didn't happen? I'm a little surprised since I think the iPhone 4S has it but I also don't think it's a big deal all this considered.

7" iPad Mini - That would be something that would come later when Apple isn't getting developers to start working on a new display resolution. Plus, with all the leaks of the 9.7" display there were no leaks of a 7" display.

* that's an economic observation not a desire for the prices to be raised.

A lower price isn't a far off out of this world idea. These things are pretty pricey for the actual use you get out of them.

The lighter weight would have simply been the result of components inside shrinking or the PCB being streamlined, also not a far out idea.

Longer battery life - I figured we would see this from optimized software (which would be what kicks the battery life up and probably what can be credited now for the battery life it currently has.)

bigger screen - that admittedly was an ill thought expectation

3D - it's the future, it's here, it's not implausible that a tablet be 3D. If anything, it's MORE plausible given that a single person tends to watch movies on these things, and it's far easier to deliver a rich 3D experience when one viewing angle is considered.

HD facetime might actually be on the ipad3, maybe I spoke too soon. Same with ipad mini, maybe it's still coming.