Samsung is sole supplier of Apple's iPad Retina displays - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 160
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Not sure what your point is.. Apple hasn't invented anything either. Apple is a marketing company.

Brilliant¡
  • Reply 22 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple just does not have the technology of many of the parts that go into its products, e.g displays, flash, batteries etc. Apple products just put together a bunch of parts from other manufacturers.

Sure, and many of the parts they do develop or codevelop (for example their Ax SoCs). They also do the hard work of developing their own software which few of their major hardware competitors do in any volume.
  • Reply 23 of 160
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No where in my post did I state or imply Apple's IP is responsible for the displays.

Sorry, I thought that was the implication. Carry on then

So you think Apple pays for the development separate from the production, therefor allowing someone like LG to engineer it but Samsung to produce it? That would be an interesting way to approach exclusive use of that particular display. If Apple paid for the development there would be no argument over anyone else using it. Actually a good idea.
  • Reply 24 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I have heard that Samsung are building a 11.6 inch screen with similar pixel density as iPad 3 for thier next tablet. At the moment it is just rumours though.

Not really a rumor. Samsung announced and demo'd it last fall. It's still 10.1 @ WQXGA (2560 x 1600)

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...111026/199826/
  • Reply 25 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple just does not have the technology of many of the parts that go into its products, e.g displays, flash, batteries etc. Apple products just put together a bunch of parts from other manufacturers.

They do appear to appear to engineer some of their own battery tech. As far as I know they were the first one to get 1000 cycles from a LIPoly batter, however, this could be similar to how they get new displays designed for their needs. I know of no acquisitions or patents specifically for battery tech.

Apple has recently bought a company for it's NAND flash IP so we can easily say Apple has some technology under its belt in that field.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So you think Apple pays for the development separate from the production, therefor allowing someone like LG to engineer it but Samsung to produce it? That would be an interesting way to approach exclusive use of that particular display. If Apple paid for the development there would be no argument over anyone else using it. Actually a good idea.

Exhibit A: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._displays.html

Exhibit B: http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/20/l...s-nfc-variant/
  • Reply 26 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

LG and Sharp failed to meet Apple's quality standards, leaving Samsung as the sole supplier of Retina displays for the new iPad, according to a new report.

Apple would be in BIG trouble if not for Samsung. Their quality can't be matched.

Apple needs to keep Samsung happy, or else Samsung might pull the plug.
  • Reply 27 of 160
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    So why are they suing each other again???
  • Reply 28 of 160
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And not without precedent. Look at the situation with Corning and Gorilla Glass. Seems like a similar situation.
  • Reply 29 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Well, at least we now know where Apple would be without Samsung's flash, cpu, or display.

Apple would be in deep shit if Samsung wasn't willing to help them out.
  • Reply 30 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Not really a rumor. Samsung announced and demo'd it last fall. It's still 10.1 @ WQXGA (2560 x 1600)

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...111026/199826/

At 11.6" it's slightly below but all intents and purposes it's the same PPI. That would also have the appearance of having denser pixels because a laptop is likely to held farther away then a tablet.

That said, That article shows that their "demoed" 2560x1600 10.1" display was defective with many lines in the prototype. If you can't get a single model to an event to show off I have to think you are not close to being production ready.

That link also shows that the same resolution with PenTile is gearing up to be production ready but RB-GB isn't the same as RBG-RBG due to the 1/3 less sub-pixels.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

And not without precedent. Look at the situation with Corning and Gorilla Glass. Seems like a similar situation.

That Samsung is so altruistic¡
  • Reply 31 of 160
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

Because Samsung is a very large company, and the consumer electronic branch is not the same as the display production branch.
  • Reply 32 of 160
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Apple would be in BIG trouble if not for Samsung. Their quality can't be matched.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

Quote:

Apple would be in deep shit if Samsung wasn't willing to help them out.

You guys/girls are taking the simplistic hand-wringing road here. May be beyond your intellect.

Apple is Samsung's biggest customer. I know it's a lot for you to grasp.

Quote:

They do appear to appear to engineer some of their own battery tech. As far as I know they were the first one to get 1000 cycles from a LIPoly batter, however, this could be similar to how they get new displays designed for their needs. I know of no acquisitions or patents specifically for battery tech.

Apple has recently bought a company for it's NAND flash IP so we can easily say Apple has some technology under its belt in that field.

Exhibit A: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._displays.html

Exhibit B: http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/20/l...s-nfc-variant/

Seems I read somewhere that LG originated some of the new display's tech, but here DisplaySearch says Sharp and one other originated the high-aperture part:

http://www.displaysearchblog.com/201...etina-display/
  • Reply 33 of 160
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Another part of this story AI decided not to mention was that last year, Apple bought $7.8 Billion worth of stuff from Samsung but for 2012, Samsung forecasts that it will be more like $11 billion.

Apple would be up the creek without a paddle if it weren't for Samsung.
  • Reply 34 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Why?

Apple and Samsumg are big boys. Samsung wont say not to their biggest customer and Apple wont comprimise on quality.

Neither will let their patent battles get in the way of doing buisiness.

That's called hitting the nail on the head, my friend. Well done. In the end, business is business. I call it the "Godfather Mentality"
  • Reply 35 of 160
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

I disagree with the premise here. Apple needs to ensure that they pay Samsung for the work they do and pay on time. If not, Samsung might pull the plug. Otherwise, I doubt that Samsung would do something like that to a customer that pays as much as Apple does. And drives their quality as hard as Apple does. They get a double benefit. They get paid and they get process improvement.
  • Reply 36 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I thought that Royal Dutch Shell was Samsung's biggest customer, followed by the government of the United Arab Emirates?

Where did you get your information? Are you mistaking the subsidiary, Samsung Electronics, for the parent company?
  • Reply 37 of 160
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    So why is your rival creating your product?

Isn't this like the mafia sharing family secrets with the police chief?
  • Reply 38 of 160
    Quote:

At 11.6" it's slightly below but all intents and purposes it's the same PPI. That would also have the appearance of having denser pixels because a laptop is likely to held farther away then a tablet.

That said, That article shows that their "demoed" 2560x1600 10.1" display was defective with many lines in the prototype. If you can't get a single model to an event to show off I have to think you are not close to being production ready.

That article is from 5 months ago with one guy's opinion.

Quote:

That link also shows that the same resolution with PenTile is gearing up to be production ready but RB-GB isn't the same as RBG-RBG due to the 1/3 less sub-pixels.

Samsung is supposed to moving their entire S-AMOLED production to RBG-RBG some time this year but of course remains to be seen.
  • Reply 39 of 160
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

You guys/girls are taking the simplistic hand-wringing road here. May be beyond your intellect.

Seems I read somewhere that LG originated some of the new display's tech, but here DisplaySearch says Sharp and one other originated the high-aperture part:

http://www.displaysearchblog.com/201...etina-display/

Hi nequidnemis! So glad you found another forum to troll with your pseudo arrogance. How's the view at Gough @ Geary today?
  • Reply 40 of 160
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Yes, but Apple contributes only about 5% to Samsung's overall revenue.