Samsung is sole supplier of Apple's iPad Retina displays - report

Comments

• Reply 121 of 160
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

Samsung isn't the Chinese army it used to be and must adapt to the changing market dynamics in the electronics manufacturing sector.

Say what? What does that mean?
  • Reply 122 of 160
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

So basically

iPad = Samsung Device + Apple Sticker

Although this is not accurate, it does highlight the interesting relationship between the two companies. One relies on the other for critical components. The other relies on the first for design *inspiration*. They are seriously co-dependent but their lawyers meet regularly in court. It sounds like a couple fighting like cat and dog in divorce court, and continue to have regular sex at home.
  • Reply 123 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Here, you miserable FUD-monger, are your shorts to eat:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/14/...-in-contracts/

A one-second search.

I'll see your fansite and raise you an encyclopedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung...ajor_customers
  • Reply 124 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I said some, not all and they licensed the technology from Wacom, the parts are still made in house.

No, you said: "Samsung has many phones and tablets that just use Samsung parts". So again, since when did Wacom or Qualcomm become divisions of Samsung?
  • Reply 125 of 160
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

No, you said: "Samsung has many phones and tablets that just use Samsung parts". So again, since when did Wacom or Qualcomm become divisions of Samsung?

Most Samsung's phones / tablets don't have Wacom digitizers (bar Samsung's Galaxy Notes). If I recall correctly, only the US edition of Galaxy lines uses Qualcomm chips; all others use in-house Exynos chips. Now, considering Samsung sold 100+M smartphones last year, it's fair to say Samsung has many phones (/tablet - probably insignificant given that Samsung's share of tablet sales is neglible) whose *major components* are made in-house.
  • Reply 126 of 160
    Quote:

Ultimately, it's still an Apple product and Apple is making a lot more money than Samsung. And Google... And Microsoft... In a few years Apple will dwarf these companies.

Not really.. I see Apple going the way of Motorola or Nokia. Apple owns none of the underlying technology behind iPhones or iPad. Samsung not only makes major components for Apple (oh and widely licensed essential IPs), but it also has already more or less commodified smartphones. To make matters worse for Apple, Samsung is growing at 300+% year (and will for another couple of years).

That being said, there's plenty of room for both Apple to Samsung to grow in mobile market. I don't necessarily think Apple's margin is going to shrink in the short-run (but definitely in the longer-un). The same is true for Samsung Electronics whose mobile division is now bringing the most revenue/profit.
  • Reply 127 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

And the point that the concern trolls are missing is that Samsung's divisions operate very autonomously, which is typical of how these Asian conglomerates are structured. Samsung's LCD display division operates separately from their consumer electronics and wireless operations, and each of these divisions have their own revenue streams and profit goals.

Sounds like you have zero clue as to how Asian conglomerates are organized (or intertwined).

Quote:

Apple can prepay for millions of displays at once with upfront cash. This goes straight to the LCD division's bottomline. If necessary, Apple will also make capital investments to upgrade their suppliers' production facilities. Samsung's LCD division is not going to screw over one of their biggest customers, especially one that will sign a guaranteed contract for tens of millions of units in one transaction.

and your point being? so can Samsung who sits on $20+B on cash. Samsung will spend something in the order of $40+ Billion dollars this year upgrading/building fabs this year. Apple's past capital investment (or Apple's share of Samsung's entire sales - $9B or 2.5%) to secure NAND FLASH supply a couple of years back isn't quite enough to pay for a fraction of that.

That being said, I see little or no reason for Samsung not to work with Apple. I just find it amusing that Apple fanboys think Samsung can't survive without Apple. Or that the whole world evolves around Apple.

Quote:

Sure, Samsung can screw over Apple by reneging on their LCD supplier arrangement. But, why would they do that? Not only would Samsung lose billions in revenue, but also millions more in the breach of contract suit that follows. Furthermore, Apple would approach LG or Sharp, and ask them how many millions of dollars in production line investment they need to get their display assembly rolling at full speed. So, the end result for Samsung would be the loss of billions of easy dollars, and more formidable competitors thanks to the millions that Apple invested in upgrading their production lines.

• Reply 128 of 160
    Quote:

Ultimately, it's still an Apple product and Apple is making a lot more money than Samsung. And Google... And Microsoft... In a few years Apple will dwarf these companies.

Well, Samsung is privately held so we simply don't know

Goog market cap:201.82 B

MSFT: 275.49 B

AAPL: 543.41B

I'd say you don't need to wait a few years to see the dwarfing you speak of
  • Reply 129 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Samsung Electronics is a public company, largely (50+%) owned by foreign investors - citi being the largest single shareholder.
  • Reply 130 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Samsung Electronics is a public company, largely (50+%) owned by foreign investors - citi being the largest single shareholder.

Which one exactly? What is the ticker symbol and where are they traded?
  • Reply 131 of 160
    Quote:

Which one exactly? What is the ticker symbol and where are they traded?

005930:Korea SE
  • Reply 132 of 160
    Quote:

005930:Korea SE

Thanks! I wish they were traded here too!

Would you know what % of ownership is by the samsung group?
  • Reply 133 of 160
    Quote:

Thanks! I wish they were traded here too!

Would you know what % of ownership is by the samsung group?

You should be able to look it up on google.com

http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsu...Structure.html
  • Reply 134 of 160
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

. . . the whole world evolves around Apple.

Sorry, you are wrong here. The whole world does not "evolve around Apple."
  • Reply 135 of 160
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Apple fans in here hate to admit how much Apple is reliant on Samsung. It's showing. Hope you all enjoy your Samsung screens.

You mean like how Samsung's memory chips and forthcoming Galaxy phones are reliant on ARM's (England) high tech wizardry? And as everybody knows, that's just the tip of the iceberg for Korean dependence on western and Japanese high-tech. Really, you should know better than to make such silly nationalistic posts by now, lol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Hol...n-2012_id23291

What you fail to grasp is that Korean companies can manufacture this stuff for western companies CHEAPLY, just like how Chinese companies can. Which is of course, good for Apple but bad for American workers.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsu...n-2012_id23291

Wow, you actually believe your own propaganda. There's a REASON why Nobel laureates in physics and Pioneer spacecraft come from places like Cambridge and the US and not KAIST or Seoul National University (which is only "famous" for Dr. Hwang and his fake stem cell research).

Enjoy those "Korean" Galaxy phones now! :lol
  • Reply 136 of 160
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Apple's market cap is now 2x the size of MS's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radar View Post

You mean like how Samsung's memory chips and forthcoming Galaxy phones are reliant on ARM's (England) high tech wizardry? And as everybody knows, that's just the tip of the iceberg for Korean dependence on western and Japanese high-tech. Really, you should know better tank to make such silly posts by now, lol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Hol...n-2012_id23291

What you fail to grasp is that Korean companies can manufacture this stuff for western companies CHEAPLY, just like how Chinese companies can. Which is of course, good for Apple but bad for American workers.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsu...n-2012_id23291

Wow, you actually believe your own propaganda. There's a REASON why Nobel laureates in physics etc. come from places like Cambridge and not KAIST.

Enjoy those "Korean" Galaxy phones now! :lol

I posted about this yesterday. Despite when they want to think (or try to make us think) Samsung relies heavily on other companies for their tech.
  • Reply 137 of 160
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:

Not really.. I see Apple going the way of Motorola or Nokia. Apple owns none of the underlying technology behind iPhones or iPad.

One phrase for you: "Samsung's" Android vs. iOS. Without Google Samsung would already be buried in the Smartphone market - End of story. Yet another of the countless examples of Korean companies benefitting hugely from western tech-savvy engineer and coders.
  • Reply 138 of 160
    Quote:

Not really.. I see Apple going the way of Motorola or Nokia. Apple owns none of the underlying technology behind iPhones or iPad. Samsung not only makes major components for Apple (oh and widely licensed essential IPs), but it also has already more or less commodified smartphones. To make matters worse for Apple, Samsung is growing at 300+% year (and will for another couple of years).

That being said, there's plenty of room for both Apple to Samsung to grow in mobile market. I don't necessarily think Apple's margin is going to shrink in the short-run (but definitely in the longer-un). The same is true for Samsung Electronics whose mobile division is now bringing the most revenue/profit.

You ignore Apple's mindshare success in the market.

You ignore Apple's financial success in the market.

You ignore Apple patenting the hell out of the iPhone.

You ignore all the lawsuits Apple has over people stealing their IP.

You ignore the Apple ASICs.

You ignore their ownership of P.A Semi, Anobit, Img Tech, and other companies that are or will be directly responsible for the IP in their devices.

You ignore their OS, apps and services.
  • Reply 139 of 160
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

[insult removed] The original question was is there a company that makes their products in house. I said Samsung makes "many" not all products themselves. You came back with some crap about Qualcomm and Wacom. That's why I said many, the question wasn't is there a company that makes every product in house. Plus the ones that do have the Qualcomm chips in them are special orders for American telecoms and their pretty bad. The Wacom digitizer is still made by Samsung by the way.
  • Reply 140 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

[insult removed] The original question was is their a company that makes their products in house. I said Samsung makes "many" not all products themselves. You came back with some crap about Qualcomm and Wacom. That's why I said many, the question wasn't is there a company that makes every product in house. Plus the ones that do have the Qualcomm chips in them are special orders for American telecoms and their pretty bad. The Wacom digitizer is still made by Samsung by the way.

You can't find any smartphone, tablet or PC that just uses Samsung parts. It's just not possible. As I noted on page 2 there are plenty of components that Samsung simply doesn't have the rights to or simply doesn't want to RDM themselves.

As for Samsung being hired by Qualcomm to manufacturer Wacom's digitizers that doesn't make it a Samsung part, it just makes it manufactured by Samsung but if you think that's the same then you should start calling Samsung CE Foxconn products because that is where the majority of their CE is assembled.