High cost of new iPad components drives down profit margins

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

@bigpics. Good posts.

Solipsism is incorrect, we are not still dealing Witt the same density chips, http://www.phonearena.com/news/Toshi...phones_id18322

What's more the iPad is not limited in internal space as the iPhone so apple did not have use the new toshi chip that's already in mass production since 4 months ago, they could have used two 64gb modules, which with their mega deals they get cheaper than anyone, and which by now, more than 2 years after iPad one, are considerably cheaper for the obvious scale manufacturing and refinement reasons.

Apple has elected to maintain their very generous profit margins and cripple the entry models of the iPad in terms of storage. 16 and 32gbs are by anyone's standards, anyone who isnt an apple slf appointed apologist very constricting for the intents and purposes of the iPad, especially so an iPad with retina display. If they were hardly sufficient on a non retina display iPad, on an iPad with no textbooks, 1080p camera, and 1080p videos to download, then on an iPad with all these features they are indeed crippling to the usage of the device. A device that unlike the macs does not lend itself to user upgradable storage. It also lowers the usage horizon of the iPad to a time span that is much more limited, and much more limited than any mac currently on the market.

Like I said I am going to buy the 64gb iPad as soon as I can and as soon as they tweak the first teething issues in production, namely the concern about heat in the lower left corner. Even if they can't address this, I am still going to purchase one. But I will not be happy with apple and the storage they offer me at this price, and I will Not be persuaded by anyone that I should be. I also hope both windows 8 and androids finally make themselves felt to apple because that's the only way they will start offering more to me as a customer.

Thanks for the props and the informative link.

BTW, I've gone into the subject in depth elsewhere, so won't justify the following here, but my notion is that while Android will remain a fixture in phones - because of momentum primarily in the consumer space - I believe that Win 8 Metro's going to be the real competition in tablets (whether on Intel or WOA or some combo) as only Apple and MS are equipped to take on both the Enterprise, specialty and consumer markets in tablets.

I know they're far behind, so I'm talking late 2013 and well beyond, but I've also been following MS' development tracks fairly closely (for an admitted non-engineer) and know there's far (far) more engineering (and Enterprise plumbing) going into Metro than into Ice Cream Sandwich for tabs (and anything Google has reasonably planned beyond). And that they have the resources, diversified income streams and patience to stick to their plans.

MS also has longer, deeper and broader relationships to all the same HW manufacturers that Google has (plus a promising relationship with Nokia - that to me makes more sense than Google's acquisition of Moto Mobile (other than for patent war reasons, given how they cobbled Android together with little respect for IP in the first place).

But if Big G bucks up and gives us three decent tab choices, all the better.

So with luck, competition will abound and we may both get our wishes in time.

I also think you make another KEY point about Apple nearly certainly having an eye on planned obsolescence in their roll-out plans. The stuff being built today is so useful and durable, companies really have to goad us into reasons to keep upgrading.

Living outside of the Reality Distortion Field, my 7 year old Tiger iBook (1.33) is still chugging away - doing my business bookkeeping, creative writing, light surfing (it's starting to choke on today's denser streams) and acting as my podcast player on a bed stand. And I do fine without "Mission Control," "Spaces," the newer Office Ribbon (which I turn off when in Windows anyway), etc., etc. My iBook has no battery life and isn't worth a new one, which (along with the great iOS ecosystem that's grown up and the joys of sub-2 pound mobile computing) is why I'm getting the iPad for my mobile needs.

I'm keeping a feature phone for voice and TXT since I don't need two data plans (or net access in a bar), and will opt for cellular goodness on the iPad's more useful amount of screen real estate - which should also give me Skype and access to Google Voice if I'm not mistaken.

So dropping support, beefing up the software requirements to force us to buy new Macbooks, e.g., by forcing Lion on us to get iCloud sync with our iDevices (and obsolescing our next iPads by overwhelming their storage and processing capacity with new programs and features) are about the only rational reasons to upgrade as often as the manufacturers would like us to. I could care less about the status of having the latest of the latest at all times or obsessing on posessing the next feature that will advance the endless "war on inconvenience" companies make us think is so important via their marketing campaigns.

So I'll let the trendroids with more status needs than sense fuel the annual upgrade cycles.

That is, as long as I can accomplish my desired work and personal tasks efficiently and effectively, I'm just good.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why can't we have a miniSD card and be done with it?

Because then many fewer people would buy RAM from Apple at $100 per 16 Instead, they would buy a MiniSD card and Apple would get $0.00.
  • Reply 103 of 111
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Why can't we have a miniSD card and be done with it?

Simple. Because Apple doesn't offer it.

You are still playing the game of expecting Apple to do what you want. That's not their job. They have designed the industry leading tablet and keep making it better. Lack of a mini-SD card has not interfered with their success.

They may have lots of different reasons:

- They may have determined that the reliability doesn't meet their standards.

- Adding an SD slot may interfere with the physical integrity of the iPad

- It may allow water and dirt to more easily enter

- It may require more battery power

- It may lead to greater tech support problems.

Any number of reasons. In the end, it doesn't matter what the reason is. It's not an option, so stop whining.

If you want a tablet with mini-SD, you can buy one. Just not from Apple. The fact that the iPad is the runaway leader suggests that mini-SD just isn't that important.
  • Reply 104 of 111
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Simple. Because Apple doesn't offer it.

You are still playing the game of expecting Apple to do what you want. That's not their job. They have designed the industry leading tablet and keep making it better. Lack of a mini-SD card has not interfered with their success.

They may have lots of different reasons:

- They may have determined that the reliability doesn't meet their standards.

- Adding an SD slot may interfere with the physical integrity of the iPad

- It may allow water and dirt to more easily enter

- It may require more battery power

- It may lead to greater tech support problems.

Any number of reasons. In the end, it doesn't matter what the reason is. It's not an option, so stop whining.

If you want a tablet with mini-SD, you can buy one. Just not from Apple. The fact that the iPad is the runaway leader suggests that mini-SD just isn't that important.

Oh no I have bought a tablet with miniSD support and many more features that were missing from the iPad and absolutely love it. I like my iPad 3 to however it makes a great music creation, recording unit and gaming platform. When it's available I'll Jail Break this new one to get all the capabilities I need that I had on the iPad 2 after it was Jail Broken. If it wasn't for the great work of the hacking community the iPad I'm sorry to say would be just way to crippled for this person to use, that is without throwing it against the wall in frustration.

I really don't how people live without access to the command line on a iPad so I could have things like a file manager and full access to a SD card. It must be ignorant bliss or something, "oh well this is all they give me so it must be." However their are those who know that Apple should have all these things and then make excuses for them that blows me away. They are a multi billion dollar company who will do everything to separate you from your wallet, they don't care about you. They lock it down to make it as hard as possible to not allow media content except their own onto the iPad, that's it. Structural concerns, oh my god.
  • Reply 105 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If it was important than Android tablets would actually sell well. But they don't, because they are crap.

The market has already spoken on this issue. Some people are in denial or just not bright enough to concede this battle has already been fought, and their side lost overwhelmingly.
  • Reply 106 of 111
    Quote:

Oh no I have bought a tablet with miniSD support and many more features that were missing from the iPad and absolutely love it. I like my iPad 3 to however it makes a great music creation, recording unit and gaming platform. When it's available I'll Jail Break this new one to get all the capabilities I need that I had on the iPad 2 after it was Jail Broken. If it wasn't for the great work of the hacking community the iPad I'm sorry to say would be just way to crippled for this person to use, that is without throwing it against the wall in frustration.

I really don't how people live without access to the command line on a iPad so I could have things like a file manager and full access to a SD card. It must be ignorant bliss or something, "oh well this is all they give me so it must be." However their are those who know that Apple should have all these things and then make excuses for them that blows me away. They are a multi billion dollar company who will do everything to separate you from your wallet, they don't care about you. They lock it down to make it as hard as possible to not allow media content except their own onto the iPad, that's it. Structural concerns, oh my god.

I've never had any problems adding my own media content to my iDevices. I add the content to iTunes, and sync it to the device. In fact, it's incredibly simple; much easier than connecting a device as an external drive and manually dragging and dropping.
  • Reply 107 of 111
    Quote:

I really don't how people live without access to the command line on a iPad so I could have things like a file manager and full access to a SD card. It must be ignorant bliss or something, "oh well this is all they give me so it must be."

Do you hear yourself? Command line?

Apple is one the most successful consumer electronics companies in the world. Keyword: consumer.

If you want a "hacker tablet" go buy one from any other manufacturer.

But Apple knows what they're doing...
  • Reply 108 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Do you hear yourself? Command line?

Apple is one the most successful consumer electronics companies in the world. Keyword: consumer.

If you want a "hacker tablet" go buy one from any other manufacturer.

But Apple knows what they're doing...

I do it to gain complete access to the SD card USB that comes with the photo kit. I can now mount hard drives and store and read from a SD something a consumer product should have thank you.

You do what you need to survive, which in your case isn't much and I'll do what I need to be done.
  • Reply 109 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

If it was important than Android tablets would actually sell well. But they don't, because they are crap.

The market has already spoken on this issue. Some people are in denial or just not bright enough to concede this battle has already been fought, and their side lost overwhelmingly.

The market has spoken. Do you guys actually listen to yourself. Mark my words Apple will only be number one for so long. They had the head start yes but other manufactures are catching up and eating at the market, Android is already at over 38%. What is going to happen when Windows 8 for ARM is released. Another 20% eaten at least by the end of 2012.

Laugh all you want, role you eyes but by the year 2015, Android will have 50% of the market,Windows 20% and Apple 30%. There are still a lot of people out there who do not own tablets. Once the Third World gets moving it will be a different landscape.

Yes Apple will continue being the most profitable, no one sees that changing.

The market has spoken.

This is just my look into the crystal ball, take it with a grain of salt but I am saving this thread so I can bring it back in 2015. I think it would be fun to see how close I was.
  • Reply 110 of 111
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is certainly far from certain but this is what I suspected would be the result from this iPad. It's just too much of a jump at once, IMO.

Eliminating the competition due to a jump that's too massive to be imitated is worth a small investment (compared to Apple's wallet, not to mine )
  • Reply 111 of 111
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Thank yu. exactly what i was trying to say.

On the other hand you have companies like motorolla and Samsung who excl at making the backbone for things to work. Hence their huge number of FRAND patents. Maybe if they spend less time on researching how to make cellphones talk better to each other, and make 3g better and 4g better and make further the technology of organic LEDs and so on/ Maybe if they spend less time on that stuff and focus on design, they may be able to compete.

So what you're really saying is that Samsung should stick to what it is actually good at. I think everyone here will agree with that sentiment.

Apple certainly has no problem paying for any other company's technology that it wants to license.