Samsung rivaling HTC, Motorola to take second place among US carriers' after iPhone 4S

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...until you plug in headphones and listen to some music.

Then you know it's second rate.

As I do this quite often with my iPhone 4, the GS 2 fails to meet my personal needs.

That's aside from it being incompatible with my collection of Apps.

Kies is no substitute for iTunes.

Actually the SG II has a Yamaha C1YMU823 chipset, the same one they use in my Note and the Nexus. It's really a half way decent chip but not what you would call audiophile quality. That is until you update the kernel with the Voodoo audio driver. Then you will completely unlock it's greatness for the mentioned phones above. The difference is night and day, you can find this driver along with other goodies from here --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1349 . Please note that this link is for the international version of the N7000, you will have to go up two directories to get to the Verizon, AT&T and Sprint versions.

Good luck, take it from an old phone hacker though, this is one of those things that is worth doing if you have invested more then $200 for a pair of earbuds or cans.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Rhetoric, probably.

Yes, sorry my spelling isn't perfect. English is not my first language but I am learning more from reading.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Actually the SG II has a Yamaha C1YMU823 chipset, the same one they use in my Note and the Nexus. It's really a half way decent chip but not what you would call audiophile quality. That is until you update the kernel with the Voodoo audio driver. Then you will completely unlock it's greatness for the mentioned phones above. The difference is night and day, you can find this driver along with other goodies from here --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1349 . Please note that this link is for the international version of the N7000, you will have to go up two directories to get to the Verizon, AT&T and Sprint versions.

Good luck, take it from an old phone hacker though, this is one of those things that is worth doing if you have invested more then $200 for a pair of earbuds or cans.

So you have to hack it so it doesn't sound like shit?

Shouldn't it just work out of the box?

Why should the user have to finish Samsung's half-assed job?

= another piece of junk.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

So why does it sound like shit?

Having good HW included doesn't mean that HW is optimized even performing correctly. Poor drivers, OS, frameworks and apps can give you poor results regardless of what a spec sheet says. This is why we need real world testing because the sum of the parts do make a difference in these complex devices.

Or, it could be faulty HW. It does happen.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Couldn't tell ya. The page you linked doesn't reference the Galaxy S2 does it? Aren't those all pre-paid phones?

EDIT: Ah I see at my original link that the original SII is listed as "out of stock" so perhaps they could get more. Personally I doubt it since the Skyrocket was ATT's intended replacement for it, but it's certainly possible. I might end up being wrong.

I'm confused, on the one hand you're saying Android phones aren't cheap, now you're saying the Galaxy S 2 isn't cheap?

So what's Android's marketshare like based on only counting the Galaxy S 2 and variants.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    Quote:

I'm confused, on the one hand you're saying Android phones aren't cheap, now you're saying the Galaxy S 2 isn't cheap?

So what's Android's marketshare like based on only counting the Galaxy S 2 and variants.

No I'm the confused one. I have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Two screenshots are quite telling, especially in perceived value by refurbished phones.

Now non-refurbished only:

Who in their right mind would buy a Samsung Galaxy S II with such a joke of a refurb/resale price for one?

It's nothing but a depreciation product/throw away product. Apple has an entire market on EBay where people resell their items for a sizeable portion before they upgrade. With Samsung's model you'll either give it to someone or throw it in a drawer.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:

So you have to hack it so it doesn't sound like shit?

Shouldn't it just work out of the box?

Why should the user have to finish Samsung's half-assed job?

= another piece of junk.

Well no, I never said it sounded bad just not audiophile quality with the driver that Samsung includes. The Yamaha chip is actually used in conjunction with a signal processor for top quality audio components. It's kind of like Nvidia, their gamer gpu's are pretty much the same that are used in their professional models, what's different is the drivers.

I didn't want to sound like a hater but since your being so cocky, you do know that the iPhone 4S is no better off right, Apple uses the Cirrus Logic 338S0589. Yea Cirrus Logic, not Yamaha, not B&O, not Sony, not Denon frigen Cirrus Logic, hey it's DAW and it sounds good but defiantly not audiophile quality either.

At least with the Yamaha chipset their are options. Just food for thought and again I'm not trying to diss Apple in any way it was just the way you posted you response.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Who in their right mind would buy a Samsung Galaxy S II with such a joke of a refurb/resale price for one?

It's nothing but a depreciation product/throw away product. Apple has an entire market on EBay where people resell their items for a sizeable portion before they upgrade. With Samsung's model you'll either give it to someone or throw it in a drawer.

Holy crap, you know you could have just posted the link. We believe you, holy moly.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Well no, I never said it sounded bad just not audiophile quality with the driver that Samsung includes. The Yamaha chip is actually used in conjunction with a signal processor for top quality audio components. It's kind of like Nvidia, their gamer gpu's are pretty much the same that are used in their professional models, what's different is the drivers.

I didn't want to sound like a hater but since your being so cocky, you do know that the iPhone 4S is no better off right, Apple uses the Cirrus Logic 338S0589. Yea Cirrus Logic, not Yamaha, not B&O, not Sony, not Denon frigen Cirrus Logic, hey it's DAW and it sounds good but defiantly not audiophile quality either.

At least with the Yamaha chipset their are options. Just food for thought and again I'm not trying to diss Apple in any way it was just the way you posted you response.

So sort of like HTC's radeon GPU based WinMo phone's a few years back, when they did a pitiful job on the drivers, as usual the unpaid slaves at XDA developers had to finish the job.

Maybe Chris Daisey should do a show on the developers who have to finish off Android OEM handsets.

btw, the sound that goes into an iPhone is what comes out, a perfectly flat line the way the engineers who produced it wanted it to be heard.

You can't do any better than that, it's been that way since the 4.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:

So sort of like HTC's radeon GPU based WinMo phone's a few years back, when they did a pitiful job on the drivers, as usual the unpaid slaves at XDA developers had to finish the job.

Maybe Chris Daisey should do a show on the developers who have to finish off Android OEM handsets.

btw, the sound that goes into an iPhone is what comes out, a perfectly flat line the way the engineers who produced it wanted it to be heard.

You can't do any better than that, it's been that way since the 4.

The Galaxy II and Note have the same quality audio output that's in a iPhone 4S. I'm just saying it can be BETTER, kind of like an Easter egg, by using drivers that weren't meant phones but higher priced audio equipment. I never said that the audio wasn't good it's not just what I would call audiophile quality. Just like the iPhone, it sounds good right, for a phone but it's also very far from being even close to audiophile quality, Apple uses a Cirrus Logic audio chip set. Which is okay for a phone, the Samsung phones on the other hand actually use a pretty good audio chip, it just needs a little push to be at it's fullest potential.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Android has an ecosystem... but I guess that's like saying that a swamp has land. Technically true, but most don't seek to live there.

Plenty do. Ever hear of New Orleans or the Netherlands?
  • Reply 53 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe there is a very real market for a 5" device after all, the Dell Streak not withstanding.

Samsung doesn't mind going to other extreme either. Remember seeing a few members mention they wished for a smaller phone not a larger one? I think one post even made the guess that phones in general would be getting smaller not larger, and that included the iPhone.

It looks like Sammy wants to be first out of the gate, bringing a 2.8" display to a 97gram smartphone, the Galaxy Pocket, and sending it ATT's way within a few weeks. Someone must think there's a market for mini-phones.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Samsung doesn't mind going to other extreme either. Remember seeing a few members mention they wished for a smaller phone not a larger one? I think one post even made the guess that phones in general would be getting smaller not larger, and that included the iPhone.

It looks like Sammy wants to be first out of the gate, bringing a 2.8" display to a 97gram smartphone, the Galaxy Pocket, and sending it ATT's way within a few weeks. Someone must think there's a market for mini-phones.

Sony makes this lovely little phone called the Ray it's 3.3" and still retains a resolution of 854 X 480, even a 8MP camera. I think that's the smallest I could ever go.

• Reply 55 of 57
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    The reality is that Samsung also sells a significant number of underpowered / poor performing inexpensive smartphones globally that helps in driving their global share. However, these phones are not really competitors to Apple's offerings of higher end / quality smartphones.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Only one facet of the entire report has any meaning; "Canaccord Genuity technology analyst Michael Walkley wrote, 'we believe iPhones are outselling all other smartphones combined at Sprint and AT&T and selling at roughly equal volume to all Android smartphones at Verizon.'
  • Reply 57 of 57
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    I am a big Android phone. Cant wait for my nex HTC One phone, but dont know if I will go for the mid range S or the lower range V (the lower range is still twice the phone that my 2 year old HTC Desire is and, except for screen quality, a much better performer than the iPhone 4). Samsung Galaxy S3 will also be an awesome phone.

While there are some great top end Android devices, there is also a lot of cheap crap out there. This week I saw three tablets and two phones on offer at toy stores. Both phones were less than 100 euro for prepay, and 2 of the 3 Android Tablets were also under 100 euro.

While these may not be big sellers, they all add up. There are dozens and dozens of cheaper brands out there. Google said the first under 50 dollar smart phone should come out this year.

While I think its cheap crap, and most iPhone, Galaxy S etc users will think the same, it is great that there are cheap smartphones out there for those who can not afford a better phone.

I dont see why so many fandroids feel the need to pretend these low end devices do not exist.