Samsung rivaling HTC, Motorola to take second place among US carriers' after iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

How cheap is the Galaxy SII?

Just asking.

Oh I see Hellacool has already answered that question. So don't bother.

Currently, Samsung Galaxy S II is priced at $99 with a two year contract on AT&T while the iPhone 4S 16 GB is priced at $199 with a two year contract.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I paid $49 more for my Gallaxy S2 LTE than I would have for an iPhone 4S. Worth every extra penny.

Unusual strategy. I typically refuse to pay more for an inferior product.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Do you think people buy Android phones hoping for Renaissance-era Venice instead of the more realistic immediately post-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans?

LOL

Off topic: Venice made me sick. The waterways are not clean and I have respiratory issues. The rest of Italy was a lot of fun.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Why would I or anyone else think that. It's a silly idea. Is every iPhone sold a 4S? Of course not.

No, but the most commonly sold phone running iOS throughout the world is the 4S and by a large margin. We can deduce this because of the ARP in Apple's quarterly reports.

Can we infer that the Galaxy S II running v4.x and only accounting for less than 2% of the models means that it's not the most commonly sold Android-based device model? No, all we can say is that devices capable of running ICS are low volume Android-based devices compared to devices running v2.x.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:

Unusual strategy. I typically refuse to pay more for an inferior product.

I see what you did there, fortunately for me, I prefer to develop my own opinion about products, not rely on other people, form opinions based on others opinions and possibly miss out on a good product. Worked out for me because this phone is top notch.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    I look at it this way. If I, as an avid apple fan, can switch to android, many others are probably doing the same. I love iOS but I just could not put up with such a small screen anymore. The one-size-fits-all is not the best strategy for apple anymore, in my opinion. I pick the galaxy note for this very reason and keep my 4s as an iPod. However, I do wish I could install iOS on it, as android is still a little buggy on lower end devices. It runs pretty good on the Note and the likes. I hope they come out with a bigger phone than 3.5 inches.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:

Currently, Samsung Galaxy S II is priced at $99 with a two year contract on AT&T while the iPhone 4S 16 GB is priced at $199 with a two year contract.

The Skyrocket is a different animal than the SII.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I saw one at BestBuy and started laughing at the thought of using it as a phone, but then...

When the iPhone came out it felt like a large flat thing - not at all like a phone, so to a degree it is cultural. I also think a lot of people use their devices differently. The phone element is just one of many features and often not the one most used. The size of the screen is nice and the device does slip into your pocket, not necessarily the front pocket of your jeans, but it is definitely a pocket device. So yeah... I think there is a market for a 5" device and I think it will only grow.

I got mine threw work and I really disliked it upon first sight. I was so embarrassed of the thought of using it in public I bought a bluetooth headset at the train station before going home and I hate those things. After taking it home though and spending a good 8 hours straight with it, It became my new friend and it is now my second favorite business phone of all time.

I've said all of this before about the Galaxy Note so I'll save you guys the regurgitated Fangirl rederick. Just a small warning to those who get one, after using it for a while you can never go back to you iPhones.

3.5" might as well be 1" because it will seem so tiny that it will drive you nuts.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

I look at it this way. If I, as an avid apple fan, can switch to android, many others are probably doing the same. I love iOS but I just could not put up with such a small screen anymore. The one-size-fits-all is not the best strategy for apple anymore, in my opinion. I pick the galaxy note for this very reason and keep my 4s as an iPod. However, I do wish I could install iOS on it, as android is still a little buggy on lower end devices. It runs pretty good on the Note and the likes. I hope they come out with a bigger phone than 3.5 inches.

I wanted to try all the OS's. Now that I have my Android phone I am glad I did. I try an use the wife's iPhone 4 and it is painful. The screen is horrible. This of course is my opinion, one based on having the phones side by side.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:

I see what you did there, fortunately for me, I prefer to develop my own opinion about products, not rely on other people, form opinions based on others opinions and possibly miss out on a good product. Worked out for me because this phone is top notch.

Have you seen a psychiatrist recently? There is a wealth of objective analysis demonstrating that the iPhone 4S is a superior phone especially versus Samsung Galaxy S II. Apparently, the Samsung reality distortion field is in full effect.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:

Have you seen a psychiatrist recently? There is a wealth of objective analysis demonstrating that the iPhone 4S is a superior phone especially versus Samsung Galaxy S II. Apparently, the Samsung reality distortion field is in full effect.

I personally use it and personally use a 4 and do not agree with most of the negative things I read about the SII LTE which are very few. Would love to see your links regarding the Galaxy SII LTE (Skyrocket), for the uninformed (such as yourself), the SII and the SII LTE (Skyrocket) are very different.

http://androidadvices.com/galaxy-s2-...le-comparison/
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I got mine threw work and I really disliked it upon first sight. I was so embarrassed of the thought of using it in public I bought a bluetooth headset at the train station before going home and I hate those things. After taking it home though and spending a good 8 hours straight with it, It became my new friend and it is now my second favorite business phone of all time.

I've said all of this before about the Galaxy Note so I'll save you guys the regurgitated Fangirl rederick. Just a small warning to those who get one, after using it for a while you can never go back to you iPhones.

3.5" might as well be 1" because it will seem so tiny that it will drive you nuts.

My apologies as I do not speak are German, French, Italian or Romansh. What is "rederick?" Is that an Android phone?

From my perspective that 5" phone seems microscopic compared to my 42" iPhone.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No, but the most commonly sold phone running iOS throughout the world is the 4S and by a large margin. .

How many 4S have been sold compared to 4's and 3GS over the past reporting quarter.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung’s broad range of SKUs and price points "has resulted in share gains within the growing pre-paid smartphone market,"

Where Android is "winning", high volume, cheap phones with not much profit.

This is where Nokia is also "winning", as the number one handset maker.

Apple is doing just fine where they are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well, Moto's nosediving (has been for well over a year) and HTC can't seem to get a decent phone out despite re-hashing and re-naming of the same lousy phone.

HTC will claw back a bit with their new "One" series, mighty nice phones that leave the Galaxy S 2 phones for dead.

There's a fair bit of innovation in them.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:

If you're curious what ATT is asking for various phones take a look at this page . Compare to the phones mentioned in this article and I don't see cheap in the list.

By the way, the Galaxy SII was replaced by the slightly newer and LTE compatible SII Skyrocket last year and is priced equivalent to the base iPhone 4S. The original is no longer available from ATT.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    The screen quality is top notched, but it's just too small for me. iOS is better than android. The apps' quality are way better. Although android is feature-rich, it just does not feel like a finished product. If google focuses on refining the os, it will be unstoppable, though. As of now, iOS has the upper hand. Hardware-wise, though, is a whole different story.

Quote:

I wanted to try all the OS's. Now that I have my Android phone I am glad I did. I try an use the wife's iPhone 4 and it is painful. The screen is horrible. This of course is my opinion, one based on having the phones side by side.

• Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:

...until you plug in headphones and listen to some music.

Then you know it's second rate.

As I do this quite often with my iPhone 4, the GS 2 fails to meet my personal needs.

That's aside from it being incompatible with my collection of Apps.

Kies is no substitute for iTunes.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

LOL

Off topic: Venice made me sick. The waterways are not clean and I have respiratory issues. The rest of Italy was a lot of fun.

No, but the most commonly sold phone running iOS throughout the world is the 4S and by a large margin. We can deduce this because of the ARP in Apple's quarterly reports.

Can we infer that the Galaxy S II running v4.x and only accounting for less than 2% of the models means that it's not the most commonly sold Android-based device model? No, all we can say is that devices capable of running ICS are low volume Android-based devices compared to devices running v2.x.

Isn't that just ridiculous SolipsismX, every phone manufacture that produces a Android phone has real problem in this area, upgrades. Why, because they need time to put their crappy bloat ware shell on top of what is already just fine. Going from Android 2.36 to Android 4.03 is a huge step and a very important upgrade that needs to be done now. However it is already April and Samsung still has the nerve to continue releasing new phones with an outdated OS. The Samsung Galaxy SII just barely got the update.

I even hear Jelly Bean is right around the corner and like you said barely 2% of Android phones have the 4.03 version. This is an outrage, disgusting and frankly bad business.

The only reason I put up with it is because I can run custom roms. I like taking others work and then modify it even more for my benefit. This of course is not for everyone and only a small number of people can do what I can, not tooting my own horn just saying the average user is screwed.

I like Android, I know, I know most of you don't but I do. However I really hate this trend of company's trying to separate themselves by creating these custom shells. Google needs to show some, please excuse this, balls and tell these manufactures to go screw themselves. You must use the vanilla version of Android, ask every tech reviewer what is the greatest problem with Android on a phone. They all say the same thing, those f*cking shells. Blur, Sense, TouchWiz all that crap needs to be nuked, it's all crap, crap, crap (wait let me click the button on my morphine drip, aaahhh) and more crap.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

My apologies as I do not speak are German, French, Italian or Romansh. What is "rederick?" Is that an Android phone?

Rhetoric, probably.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you're curious what ATT is asking for various phones take a look at this page . Compare to the phones mentioned in this article and I don't see cheap in the list.

By the way, the Galaxy SII was replaced by the slightly newer and LTE compatible SII Skyrocket last year and is priced equivalent to the base iPhone 4S. The original is no longer available from ATT.

What are these, then?

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...n&allManus=on#
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What are these, then?

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...n&allManus=on#

Couldn't tell ya. The page you linked doesn't reference the Galaxy S2 does it? Aren't those all pre-paid phones?

EDIT: Ah I see at my original link that the original SII is listed as "out of stock" so perhaps they could get more. Personally I doubt it since the Skyrocket was ATT's intended replacement for it, but it's certainly possible. I might end up being wrong.