Google's Larry Page thinks Steve Jobs's hatred of Android was 'for show'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

"She should focus on doing well on her test and stop worrying about me copying her answers."

+1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

BTW, ditched my 3GS yesterday and got a Galaxy Note, this thing is off the charts good. All of my family has iPhone 4s's and they are GARBAGE compared to this bad boy.

OK. Be specific. In what ways is the iPhone 4S 'garbage' compared to a Galaxy Note?

This should be humorous.
  • Reply 82 of 137
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

this is from a company that invented web searching,

No they didn't. There were a couple of dozen search engines before Google ever came on the scene. Like Altavista, Lycos etc.
  • Reply 83 of 137
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

SHUT THE HELL UP YOU HORSE TOOTH JACKASS!

striking resemblance
  • Reply 84 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

"I personally believe it's better to shoot higher. You don't want to be looking at your competitors. You want to be looking at what's possible and how to make the world better."

Highlighting is mine.

good idea. too bad they don't know how to actually do that...
  • Reply 85 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why isn't Yahoo (or Bing) and alternative?

I use Yahoo all the time. 99% of the time, it works just fine. On very rare occasions, I might not be happy with the results and I can easily search Google if I wish. But why should Google be able to earn money off me for routine searches (as well as sell my information)?

Yahoo: another company in search of a clue.
  • Reply 86 of 137
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Apple has always been shameless about stealing great ideas.

Such as how Apple made NeXT OS its own.
  • Reply 87 of 137
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

On the flip side it probably drives Page and Google nuts that every website, blog and magazine puts every article they can about Apple, sometimes ignoring Android completely, because the lamest of articles or rumors about Apple still makes a fortune in hits.

Don't worry, Google has news.google.com to redefine what's newsworthy.
  • Reply 88 of 137
    mgleetmgleet Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philgar View Post

So many posts act like everything was solely apple's idea, and android was ENTIRELY copied from apple etc etc (for the record, I have purchased multiple apple laptops, and ipods and currently use a macbook, iphone 4, ipod classic, and an ipad3 regularly, so please refrain from calling me a google fan boy... ).

I don't really understand people that justify saying negative things about Apple by listing how many Apple products that they've purchased. I don't think that anybody cares. If I rage on Twitter about how Apple's handling of Apple IDs is gawdawful, I don't say "But in the past six years I've had 2 Macs, 4 iPods, 2 iPhones, and 2 iPads, so my 5 tweets are justified."

It just sounds stupid. And above all it's unnecessary and wastes time/space.

If you disagree with someone, disagree with them and give reasons why. But don't justify that disagreement by saying that you don't hate other things. If your reasons for disagreement are legitimate and well reasoned, we don't need a list of products that you've owned to know that you aren't a Google fanboy.
  • Reply 89 of 137
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philgar View Post

Although I like this board, and reading it, the things I read amongst the fanboys just makes me laugh. So many posts act like everything was solely apple's idea, and android was ENTIRELY copied from apple etc etc (for the record, I have purchased multiple apple laptops, and ipods and currently use a macbook, iphone 4, ipod classic, and an ipad3 regularly, so please refrain from calling me a google fan boy... ). This is just utter bullshit, and I'm sure deep down you know it. Like everything, the truth is somewhere in between. Both apple and google have borrowed MANY MANY MANY ideas from others. Apple's biggest success isn't in doing something first, but doing something best. Others had smartphones, and even touch screens. Hell, most of the ideas behind the iphone were out there when the iphone was released. The difference was apple capitalized on them, and made a platform people could use, and made it user friendly.

I see this little sleight of hand a lot. The problem is that packed into that short phrase "made it user friendly" are literally HUNDREDS of UI innovations that make up the core of the iOS user experience that have been shamelessly copied by others.

Nobody thinks that the iPhone was the first or only touchscreen phone. But when you say something like Apple merely "did it best" your glossing over an absolutely astonishing amount of innovation. And, moreover, it is specifically the iPhone's user experience and the related UI innovations that were copied by competitors and not those of, say, the LG Prada phone, which was quickly forgotten.
  • Reply 90 of 137
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Well, I don't see any Apple developed apps for Android, do you?
  • Reply 91 of 137
    Quote:

You don't want to be looking at your competitors.

Spoken like a true capitalist with stolen technology.
  • Reply 92 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

striking resemblance

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Good one.
  • Reply 93 of 137
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MGLeet View Post

I don't really understand people that justify saying negative things about Apple by listing how many Apple products that they've purchased. I don't think that anybody cares. If I rage on Twitter about how Apple's handling of Apple IDs is gawdawful, I don't say "But in the past six years I've had 2 Macs, 4 iPods, 2 iPhones, and 2 iPads, so my 5 tweets are justified."

It just sounds stupid. And above all it's unnecessary and wastes time/space.

If you disagree with someone, disagree with them and give reasons why. But don't justify that disagreement by saying that you don't hate other things. If your reasons for disagreement are legitimate and well reasoned, we don't need a list of products that you've owned to know that you aren't a Google fanboy.

Problem is that there are some people on this site who are quick to call anyone who posts a negative opinion about Apple, or a positive opinion about one of Apple's competitors, a troll or a shrill. This is usually followed by "go back to your android/microsoft/google/samsung fansite "

Posting that they own and/or use apple devices as well is their way of preempting that attack. I don't think it is, or see it as, a way to justify their opinion, but more like a disclaimer. Its their way of saying "I'm not a troll that only registered on this site to bash Apple; I own and use their devices as well, but I disagree with them on this one instance..."
  • Reply 94 of 137
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Their search is best in business, as is their email, IMO. Google Maps is best in its business, as well. Past that, arguments can be made. I personally believe Chrome is the best browser out there, but just about everything else Google does is unbelievably average at best. YouTube is a necessary evil, but is really not too great, IMO.

Their search is the best indeed. It bring back memories when almost no one was using it and I was turning people to google, what was it then 1997 or something? To me their success wasn't so much about the data mining algorithms (although that was the biiiig technological innovation) but about the simplicity of the interface and the fact that it highlighted the specific words you were looking for. All the other search engines then were trying to do to much and be portals too. I think had yahoo or altavista had first decided to focus on a simple clean (but absolutely clean) interface they could have very easily given google a run for it's money. Oh how far we've gone since then. It took them ages however to refine it from then (what about 3 years ago was it, even less?) to enable you to search within categories like fora (dicussions), news, blogs etc.

Their email is good, but it's as good as someone who has an enormous data center. I can't see something interface wise that I am amazed at. Maps is good to.

Youtube was a purchase and it's managed to dumb down humanity more than anything else in the past few years. It got it's name first and as so many things on the net, once you get to be representative of a whole category of similar websites, it's almost impossible to lose your status, and hence all the traffic and the ad $$, I don't see it being better in any way to dailymotion or similar websites.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

+1

OK. Be specific. In what ways is the iPhone 4S 'garbage' compared to a Galaxy Note?

This should be humorous.

Yeah, that's if he actually posts a reply. I was accosted a while ago from a T Mobile Mall salesperson trying to do a full court press on selling me on a Samsung Smartphone and he pulls out his own Samsung Whateveritis and the freaking entire screen was cracked....
  • Reply 96 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

iNobody thinks that the iphone was the first or only touchscreen phone..

M-u-l-t-i-t-o-u-c-h-s-c-r-e-e-n P-h-o-n-e, why do I have to spell it out for you!
  • Reply 97 of 137
    mgleetmgleet Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Problem is that there are some people on this site who are quick to call anyone who posts a negative opinion about Apple, or a positive opinion about one of Apple's competitors, a troll or a shrill. This is usually followed by "go back to your android/microsoft/google/samsung fansite "

Posting that they own and/or use apple devices as well is their way of preempting that attack. I don't think it is, or see it as, a way to justify their opinion, but more like a disclaimer. Its their way of saying "I'm not a troll that only registered on this site to bash Apple; I own and use their devices as well, but I disagree with them on this one instance..."

Sure, I guess that some people are quick to call out others as shills. But I see the whole "but I own x amount of Apple products, so I'm not a hater" on other tech sites too. And as far as preemptive strikes go, with anonymity, really anyone can say anything. When I was younger, on 1up.com as deadbunny17, I fabricated a whole lot of my life to make my points in clubs. I don't think that I'm the only person in the world that's done something like that.

As someone that has lied on the Internet because of how ridiculously easy it was, I just have a really tough time thinking that such a preemptive strike isn't hollow. Not saying that philgar is lying. Just that "I've owned this meaning that my opinion is valid" is a waste of a sentence.
  • Reply 98 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I own a Samsung home theatre system (broken sitting in garage), Samsung refrigerator (broken sitting in garage), Samsung washing machine (broken leaking water in laundry), a Samsung galaxy Nexus, a Samsung 42" plasma TV and I can state quite categorically that most of it is shit that doesn't last.

I have more Samsung stuff than Apple stuff and that is how I KNOW how shit they are.

Is that the sort of thing you mean?
  • Reply 99 of 137
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Interesting discussion... Can someone answer the following questions:

1. Did the biography discuss why Jobs was so trusting of Eric Schmidt in the first place? Google purchased Android in 2005. Did Jobs really think that Google wasn't going to do anything with the platform?

2. How much access did Schmidt have to the original iPhone? Did he have access to the source code for iOS/XCODE along with the hardware technical specifications? Lots and lots go into making these smart phones, did Schmidt have full access to everything that Apple created/invented with the iPhone? If he did, is that standard practice in companies to give board members that level of access?

3. It was rumored that Jobs hid the iPad development from Schmidt... At what point in time, did Jobs no longer trust Schmidt? Was that discussed in the biography?

Thanks!
  • Reply 100 of 137
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Their search is best in business, as is their email, IMO. Google Maps is best in its business, as well. Past that, arguments can be made. I personally believe Chrome is the best browser out there, but just about everything else Google does is unbelievably average at best. YouTube is a necessary evil, but is really not too great, IMO.

Why do you believe Google search is the best?

Why do you believe Google GMail is the best?

Why do you believe Google Maps is the best?

Google Search is tremendously popular but I think there are better products.

Google GMail is garbage.

I think Google Maps is the best Google consumer product.

Google Android would be a good product but the Google business model $h!t$ all over the operating system.