Google's Larry Page thinks Steve Jobs's hatred of Android was 'for show'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    Wow, you guys are seriously being mature about this eh. Here's a fun fact...IT'S A PHONE. Who cares what you use compared to what other people use? It's a piece of technology, not a lifeline. Yes, it is important to people who use it every day of their lives, but why do you guys care so much about defending Apple? Did Apple do anything for you? Are they paying you? Do you work for Apple at an executive level where you feel the need to defend them so much? No, didn't think so. You already know Apple has stolen a few ideas from Android as well, an example being notifications and the swipe down notification center. That's a BLATANT Android rip-off, but you will say "they took it and make it better". You are blind about the "they took it" part.

BTW, ditched my 3GS yesterday and got a Galaxy Note, this thing is off the charts good. All of my family has iPhone 4s's and they are GARBAGE compared to this bad boy.
  • Reply 62 of 137
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Nice f****** try Larry

I can't wait to hear Larry explain the Motorola performance in upcoming earnings calls. This purchase is probably the worst business decision I have seen in the last 10 yrs. He obviously did not take Steve's last advice

You know I thought it was crazy for them to buy Moto before, especially for such a large sum of money, but after reading posts on some other sites today, it may make some sense in the future. Let me explain:

Amazon forks Android, there's no Google market in it and everything is Amazon. Samsung creates it's own AdHub, cutting Google out of Ad revenue. I have a feeling (based on successful open source projects), all of the major Android OEMs will consider forking Android one day when it is 'good enough' and building their own ecosystem. Certainly Samsung, Sony and maybe HTC. They can cut Google out of almost everything after their version has become their own beast. They can even sell the default search engine spot back to Google. Or as an article I read today pointed out, HTC has the patent for face-unlock and could possibly sue the other OEMs using Android ICS with face-unlock, starting an in-fighting war. In the end, Google could have put in the majority of the work for Android to become successful and mainstream, only to have it 'stolen' by OEMs. If they have Motorola, at the very least, there will be one manufacturer that will make a phone as Google envisions it to be.
  • Reply 63 of 137
    edubongedubong Posts: 15member
    What a lame attempt at trying to revert Googles criminal image, we all know how Google stole it from Apple, and we all know how Google wants to steal our personal information.

Make no mistake, if there is a devil it has GOOGLE written all over it.
  • Reply 64 of 137
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

Wow, you guys are seriously being mature about this eh. Here's a fun fact...IT'S A PHONE. Who cares what you use compared to what other people use? It's a piece of technology, not a lifeline. Yes, it is important to people who use it every day of their lives, but why do you guys care so much about defending Apple? Did Apple do anything for you? Are they paying you? Do you work for Apple at an executive level where you feel the need to defend them so much? No, didn't think so. You already know Apple has stolen a few ideas from Android as well, an example being notifications and the swipe down notification center. That's a BLATANT Android rip-off, but you will say "they took it and make it better". You are blind about the "they took it" part.

BTW, ditched my 3GS yesterday and got a Galaxy Note, this thing is off the charts good. All of my family has iPhone 4s's and they are GARBAGE compared to this bad boy.

Some of us are shareholders, and I think no matter which side of the fence you are on, you would agree if Android wasn't around, Apple would own 90%+ of the smartphone market. That means a lot of money for shareholders, that's why we care.

I heavily use my Galaxy Nexus and my iPhone 4S. Both have their issues, both have advantages. If I had to choose one, it would be the iPhone mainly because everything fits together better and is more intuitive. There have been moments on both platforms I get frustrated, but I've only ever wanted to smash the g-nex a few times.
  • Reply 65 of 137
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    I very much Steve Jobs was putting on a 'show' when he made his comments about Android. Anyone who's been around this industry, for a while, knows that Microsoft pulled the same BS on Apple with Windows. Steve was probably having a visceral reaction to Google's change of direction, with Android, post iPhone introduction.
  • Reply 66 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Further, Apple still relies heavily on Google for Search and other services. So, Apple wouldn't sue Google until it could easily cut the cord.

This reasoning is nothing but defective.

Apple relies heavily on Samsung for major components for many products. And yet, Apple sued Samsung at a time it could not possibly cut the cord.

So Apple has a history of doing exactly the opposite of what is presented above.
  • Reply 67 of 137
    At least half the people in this thread act like someone stole their birthday cake. Chill out.

Just because you have a keyboard and an internet connection doesn't make you smarter than the two people that were in the room. Quite frankly who gives a damn what the two thought of each other. Is it relevant to anything? Steve has passed on and Larry's sharing his view, embellished or not. I don't see any insults about Steve, if anything the opposite. You certainly don't have to like the guy (and really it's Schmit you shouldn't like) but is it necessary to lower the level back to middle school?
  • Reply 68 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Now that was just for show and you quote Jobs entirely out of context. The adage originated with Picasso, as well. The rudimentary Xerox technology was not stolen by Apple, it was bought and greatly enhanced. Much of the iPhone technology is patented or awaiting a patent decision. It's ripe for stealing, but don't let Apple catch you.

Apple has always been shameless about stealing great ideas.
  • Reply 69 of 137
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

"I personally believe it's better to shoot higher. You don't want to be looking at your competitors. You want to be looking at what's possible and how to make the world better."

Highlighting is mine.

"She should focus on doing well on her test and stop worrying about me copying her answers."

• Reply 70 of 137
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

You already know Apple has stolen a few ideas from Android as well, an example being notifications and the swipe down notification center. That's a BLATANT Android rip-off, but you will say "they took it and make it better". You are blind about the "they took it" part.

How do you 'steal' from open source?

Quote:

They say that people buy phones that reflect on their personality and/or lifestyle.

Your phone has a stick up it's butt.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 71 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Why'd you waste your time typing all that other drivel.

Aren't you that guy from the Samsung ad, if you've come here to sell something why not cut to the chase?

P.S. watch out for poles if you ever answer that thing while walking down the street and don't poke people in your blind spot with your elbow.
  • Reply 72 of 137
    philgarphilgar Posts: 93member
    Although I like this board, and reading it, the things I read amongst the fanboys just makes me laugh. So many posts act like everything was solely apple's idea, and android was ENTIRELY copied from apple etc etc (for the record, I have purchased multiple apple laptops, and ipods and currently use a macbook, iphone 4, ipod classic, and an ipad3 regularly, so please refrain from calling me a google fan boy... ). This is just utter bullshit, and I'm sure deep down you know it. Like everything, the truth is somewhere in between. Both apple and google have borrowed MANY MANY MANY ideas from others. Apple's biggest success isn't in doing something first, but doing something best. Others had smartphones, and even touch screens. Hell, most of the ideas behind the iphone were out there when the iphone was released. The difference was apple capitalized on them, and made a platform people could use, and made it user friendly. Just like every other company out there, apple BUILT UPON others creations when they made the iphone. This is just how progress works.

Google's android was in development before the iphone was released, and I'm sure apple knew it was in development when Schmidt was on their board of directors. Apple isn't stupid enough to share company secrets without having tons of legal forms that had to be signed. If apple's IP was stolen by their arrangement, google would have been sued into the ground. It's suicidal for a company to outright steal IP.

Now, the idea that google borrowed ideas and concepts from the iphone and ios... Sure they did.. And apple borrowed ideas and concepts for the iphone/ios's design. That is how the game is played.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if jobs played up the android stole from us thing just like he used to use lines about "redmond start your copiers". The arrogance of apple was always part of their appeal. They have spend the last 20 years building their reputation as the company that does things better, and everyone else is taking from them. This is part of their image, and job's statement about going thermonuclear on google goes along with it.

It is arrogant to think that apple can build upon the works of others, borrowing ideas when it suits them, but others can't borrow from them. Such an arrangement cannot work in a free market, and thus android is allowed to compete with ios (the only real lawsuits apple has launched against android are against samsung, and mostly concerned with the design of their phones, as samsung tried very hard to make their phone look and act like an iphone.). I'm sure apple would love to sue all their competitors out of existence, and if they could, they'd quickly be the worlds first 5 trillion dollar company. Of course, we'd all be paying through the nose for it, as it wouldn't come cheap.

consumers of apple products need android just like consumers of android phones need android. The only ones who don't want it are those owning apple stock, as more money can be had by monopolizing the market.

phil
  • Reply 73 of 137
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

It wasn't Steve Jobs idea, I hope you realize.

I don't know. Whose idea it is?
  • Reply 74 of 137
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Now that Steve is no longer around to defend himself I've noticed a lot of "what Steve really meant was..." types of comments from competitors.
  • Reply 75 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why'd you waste your time typing all that other drivel.

Aren't you that guy from the Samsung ad, if you've come here to sell something why not cut to the chase?

P.S. watch out for poles if you ever answer that thing while walking down the street and don't poke people in your blind spot with your elbow.

This looks perfectly normal.

• Reply 76 of 137
    This only speaks to how machiavellian Page is. If you are untrustworthy and dishonist you think the same of others.
  • Reply 77 of 137
    SHUT THE HELL UP YOU HORSE TOOTH JACKASS!

• Reply 78 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I prefer .me, I don't like sending email with ads in it.

Gmail is good for signing up to dodgy sites and leaving alone to fill with spam.

Google Mail doesn't have ads in it if you use an email app instead of their website.
  • Reply 79 of 137
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Don't flatter yourself. You stole his idea and now you are trying to rewrite history.

Did they. I mean is Apple's Trade Dress really valid and did Google really 'steal' it. After all, so far Apple hasn't really show anything all that unique in the design. If they wanted to argue the totality of picking those exact elements perhaps, but that doesn't seem to be their argument. And should those elements really be a protected item. Or perhaps it should be more like copyright where an idea can't be protected but only the exact expression of it.

If they were using a common coding language and Android used huge chunks of iOS code that would be a different game. But again that is not the case. And lets face it, some of Apple's patents have been as vague as some used against it. Did they really think that a patent on 'swipe your finger on the screen to unlock it' would be deemed valid. It wasn't because it shouldn't have been. The more precise later version that required a very specific gesture at a very specific location designated by an image showing where and how to perform the gesture was what should have always been required.

Yes Google and many of their OEMs have taken inspiration from the iPhone etc. Is that theft or imitation in poor taste.

That said, I don't think that Steve was lying that he would spend every cent to stop anyone that violates Apple's IP. He was very serious about it. Even to the point of fulfilling legal requirements to defend a trademark or trade dress given that was perhaps done in error (until such time as the courts find and end that error). All those legal costs will never come close to putting a dent in Apple's cash so there's no real concern for the shareholders should Apple lose
  • Reply 80 of 137
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

To have Google scrap off the work that Apple did and repackage it for free as public property drove Jobs and yes Apple employees nuts.

On the flip side it probably drives Page and Google nuts that every website, blog and magazine puts every article they can about Apple, sometimes ignoring Android completely, because the lamest of articles or rumors about Apple still makes a fortune in hits.