Apple stock closes down 4.15% in largest point drop plunge

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    It is against the law not to mention your stock investment when discussing a stock.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member
    At about 2:00 AM Pacific Time, Google Finance showed the early-early "Pre-Morning Trading" (I never understood what this is, as U.S Markets are obviously closed.... Euro trading obviously?) of AAPL at $9.00 down.... insane!

Now, it's only showing it down about $1.00 (3:45 Pacific time).

Jittery hands man. If you can't take the heat, stay out the kitchen!
  • Reply 43 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Its the usual crap, drive the price down prior to the earnings report then it jumps up massively and these fuckers make a fortune.

Yep. Thankfully I'm in it for the long haul but I'm glad some of my other stock positions don't swing as wildly as Apple does.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Old Native American folk law:

Analyst who predict share price fall he bad man who speak with forked tongue.

Analyst who predict share price rise he wise man with wisdom and foresight.

• Reply 45 of 78
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaren View Post

Buying opportunity!

+1

Did so, yesterday. Actually, I had an order sitting there for just this opportunity.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

If you know anything about Apple you'd realize that looking at 6 months worth of number is not important to a company like this. Job's wanted this company to have long-term goals. Look at the stock chart for 2 years or even 10 years ago. This last 6 months was a HUGE spike and it is totally premature. Personally it was over inflated by "analysts" and now they are paying the price for it. The market it biting back.

https://www.google.com/finance?chdnp...:AAPL&&fct=big

if you look at the last 5 years, you'll see a pretty fast rise in stock price since 2008 Dec. As deserved at it might have been, that could not continue forever. Then starting Dec 2011 you see this massive spike in the price. It's like the housing bubble all over again. My prediction is that AAPL will probably level off if we don't see any new products for the rest of the year and it will probably slowly level off at around 400, where it should have been right about now if it weren't for this spike you see over the past 6 months.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Old Native American folk law:

Analyst who predict share price fall he bad man who speak with forked tongue.

Analyst who predict share price rise he wise man with wisdom and foresight.

The guy who doesn't know a thing about Stocks (self admitted) sticking his nose in with a bearish sentiment that he knows nothing about, again.

Let me spell it out for you: F.U.N.D.A.M.E.N.T.A.L.S.

Do you know that AAPL trades at bargain basement prices for a company that has been growing almost 100% year over year? Do you know that they can buy entire Countries with their hoard of cash? Do you know that they have no debt? Do you know what a P/E ratio is? Do you know that AAPL trades at a Forward P/E of around 12? Do you know that that's much less than the average ho-hum Company on the S&P? Do you know that they just issued a Dividend? Do you know that they are still very much a growth company?

If you do know so, then you'd know that the bearish sentiments are wrong, because they're not backed up by any fundamental logic in any which way.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

If you know anything about Apple you'd realize that looking at 6 months worth of number is not important to a company like this. Job's wanted this company to have long-term goals. Look at the stock chart for 2 years or even 10 years ago. This last 6 months was a HUGE spike and it is totally premature. Personally it was over inflated by "analysts" and now they are paying the price for it. The market it biting back.

if you look at the last 5 years, you'll see a pretty fast rise in stock price since 2008 Dec. As deserved at it might have been, that could not continue forever. Then starting Dec 2011 you see this massive spike in the price. It's like the housing bubble all over again. My prediction is that AAPL will probably level off if we don't see any new products for the rest of the year and it will probably slowly level off at around 400, where it should have been right about now if it weren't for this spike you see over the past 6 months.

I find it amazing that whenever people point to technicals and the recent price history of the AAPL stock for the absolute and definitive proof that it indeed is overvalued, they conveniently seem to forget the revenue and profit increase in the same period? As if the stock price is somehow totally disconnected from the performance of the actual company.

I bet that if you overlay that particular graph on the stock price graph you would actually come to the conclusion (like many of us) that it is actually *still* undervalued.

Does anyone know why this way of looking at Apples recent success/valuation seem to be so popular? I.e as if the market rules that apply to every other listed consumer electronics company on earth does not somehow apply to Apple?
  • Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

https://www.google.com/finance?chdnp...:AAPL&&fct=big

If you look at Apple's earnings when the stock was 400, and Apple's earnings today, what sort of a difference do you see?
  • Reply 50 of 78
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    4.15%?

Are we sure it wasn't 4.14888899345%?
  • Reply 51 of 78
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I'll give my reasons for the drop:

1. April options expiry. Stock price trends to max pain point.

2. $630 was the most Apple should trade at until new earnings. Knew I should have sold...

3. Lack of new buyers. When funds or individuals re-balance their portfolios, there's nobody left to jump in.

4. Consistent climb since (before) last quarterly earnings release. History says we need a blow-out this quarter to regain momentum, and history doesn't like the April quarter.

I'll even give some credence to tax selling, but I doubt that has much impact. Big money needs to pay estimated taxes to avoid penalties.

AAPL should hang out from $579-606 for the next week or two, and then begin the slow climb to $650-700 over the next three months, assuming they hit $11.75 EPS. If Chinese New Year was as good as I am hoping thougH, there might be a bit more upside. The following quarter will likely be flat.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

I bet that if you overlay that particular graph on the stock price graph you would actually come to the conclusion (like many of us) that it is actually *still* undervalued.

Does anyone know why this way of looking at Apples recent success/valuation seem to be so popular? I.e as if the market rules that apply to every other listed consumer electronics company on earth does not somehow apply to Apple?

I can't link the image from my iPad, But you see huge P/E compression from 35 to 15-20 range in the 2008 crash, a partial recovery to 30 before C3Q2009 earnings after which it dropped to 18-22 for the following quarter. The pattern repeats every quarter through C3Q2011, where after a consolidation period began a steady expansion from 11 to a peak of around 18.

As for the second part of the question... Some people think stock splits have a huge impact on a company...
  • Reply 53 of 78
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've been reading some explanations as to the causes and possible reasons behind AAPL's five day in a row drop, and most of them seem like complete made up BS, IMO. Some news articles are blaming some minor piece of bad news, without providing any evidence linking the two or explaining the logic behind their claims. There hasn't really been any major negative news about Apple that would cause such a sell off, not even close to it. There's always the usual doom and gloom news about Apple, practically 365 days a year. And sometimes that news is even based on complete fabrications, such as the false stories and lies spread about Apple and Foxconn by some obese guy, whose name escapes me at the moment, but I can't be bothered to look up that loser's name on Google.

I'm pretty new to the stock market, but I have my own opinion about this matter, and I believe that the selloff might be a combination of things:

(1) A completely natural correction since AAPL has climbed rather quickly recently. It was obviously not going to continue to rise like that forever.

(2) Large institutions selling off and possibly trying to manipulate the market ahead of earnings next week.

(3) Panicky retail investors and average Joes who get shaken out of the market. People without balls should not be in the stock market. The stock market is not for pussies.

(4) Sales caused by computerized trigger points.

(5) The general state of things globally, with economic worries in Europe etc.

AAPL will begin to climb again soon. Exactly when is anybody's guess. Next week's earnings should be interesting.

Add to your list: A rumor was picked up by some institutional investors that AAPL next earnings release will fall short of analyst estimates.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Oh, look. It's up over nine bucks in less than an hour of trading.

So is Google, which was also down yesterday.

Sounds like yesterday was just a sell-off day for tax purposes.

Nothing to see here, as expected.

Oh, right, Apple Is Doomed? still, though.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, look. It's up over nine bucks in less than an hour of trading.

So is Google, which was also down yesterday.

Sounds like yesterday was just a sell-off day for tax purposes.

Nothing to see here, as expected.

Oh, right, Apple Is Doomed? still, though.

Of course Apple isn't doomed but I wouldn't get too excited about the stock price until we see how it goes next week.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Of course Apple isn't doomed but I wouldn't get too excited about the stock price until we see how it goes next week.

Well, we're an hour and a half in and they've regained half of what they lost over all of yesterday.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, we're an hour and a half in and they've regained half of what they lost over all of yesterday.

Just half... let's see how it looks next week before earnings.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Just half... let's see how it looks next week before earnings.

...and only up half of yesterday's drop.

But, volume is up relative to the past month, so this might have been the only drop you get to see.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

...and only up half of yesterday's drop.

But, volume is up relative to the past month, so this might have been the only drop you get to see.

As long as the volume doesn't mean they are selling into the rallies.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I though that was just called a market correction or more likely profit taking....

What specifically about this is news worthy????