Tim Cook meets with Speaker of the House John Boehner

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook met with Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives John Boehner on Tuesday for reasons yet to be reported.

A picture from the official Speaker of the House "Speaker Blog" showed Cook donning uncharacteristically formal attire sitting mid-conversation with Speaker Boehner at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. The photo came with no details and it is unknown what the two were discussing.

Speaker Boehner is an outspoken opponent of a House measure aimed at China that would call for the U.S. to take action if it was suspected that a country was manipulating the value of its currency.

Earlier today, Boehner said the GOP-lead House would lay the groundwork for possible tax reform ahead of an expected debt ceiling hike from President Obama and congressional Democrats, reports The Christian Science Monitor.

Citing a speech Boehner is expected to make, the House will vote before the upcoming election to "give Congress time to work on broad-based tax reform that lowers rates for individuals and businesses while closing deductions, credits, and special carveouts."

Cook and Boehner
Source: Speaker Blog

Apple's tax practices were recently criticized following a New York Times expose that claimed the company uses loopholes to save billions of dollars each year by "sidestepping" U.S. tax laws.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Forget the tax holiday. Restructure the US government and rebuild the budget to do what Apple did seventeen years ago. We could have a SURPLUS of 15 trillion instead of a deficit if the government runs more like Apple…
  • Reply 2 of 62
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    Forget the tax holiday. Restructure the US government and rebuild the budget to do what Apple did seventeen years ago. We could have a SURPLUS of 15 trillion instead of a deficit if the government runs more like Apple…

Yikes! Apple is run like a dictatorship. Is this really what you want? A secret government that runs on exploitative labor?
  • Reply 3 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

Yikes! Apple is run like a dictatorship. Is this really what you want? A secret government?

Well… if it works… 

tumblr_ljrbp5uJ2b1qdq5u6.gif

The government can certainly take cues from what Apple did in '96 without devolving into a one-party system ruled by a megalomaniacal despot with a vision.

Just have a three-party system ruled by a bunch of people who have actually had jobs before holding office that have vision.

• Reply 4 of 62
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Maybe he can convince Boehner to come out of the closet.  :/

• Reply 5 of 62
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    TS, nice reply ;)
  • Reply 6 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Maybe he can convince Boehner to come out of the closet.  :/

All joking aside the first think I wondered if this was about civil rights for homosexuals.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member

Apple doesn't need a tax holiday - they should be able to bring in that cash using a simple US tax Less taxes paid overseas.  Not difficult to calculate and a reasonable approach.  

Obviously Apple can also use funds overseas to pay for costs overseas.  Component costs, production costs, R&D costs.  All can be covered in part from overseas cash.  

What the Republicans should be focused on for Apple is building up the middle class in order to enlarge that prime market, and to spend more on Education as Apple is doing well in that market.

• Reply 8 of 62

They are discussing how many government officials they can stuff into Apple's new spaceship when WW3 starts.

• Reply 9 of 62
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The photo came with no details and it is unknown what the two were discussing.

We'll be hearing about this meeting in a lot more detail shortly.

THIS is why:

12.05.15-Boehner.jpg

If that 'dog' sitting there on the table isn't an electronic listening device, then I'd be very surprised.

(And even if it isn't I can guarantee that he isn't cleared for classified information)

• Reply 10 of 62

It's already been done.  It's called the Arab's and they did it 50 years ago with oil.

• Reply 11 of 62
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

I'm sure it was just to discuss tanning booth regimens.

• Reply 12 of 62
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

This thread should be a doozy...  all the wackos will be out in full fright.  I can't wait to read all the conspiracy theories and rambling nonsense from all sides.

It should provide a good laugh.

"Do you think you could do something about those Greenpeace crazies?"

• Reply 13 of 62
    yloprlyloprl Posts: 5member

Profits from over seas operations are taxed at the location of collection and in the US. The tax everyone is discussing is another tax that is applied when this double taxed monies are brought back. The US is one of 2 countries that have their citizens and businesses pay at home and overseas. Add on this repatriation tax and you see why businesses complain. Think of it as if your State decided to tax your Fed income tax refund...

• Reply 14 of 62
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Was there crying?

/

/

/

• Reply 15 of 62
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

"Do you think you could do something about those Greenpeace crazies?"

John Boehner's response: "Well, Seal Team Six have been getting a bit flabby from sitting around having little to do. I'm sure we can come to an arrangement."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Was there crying?

With Apple's bulging war-chest, rising share price, and exploding market value, I'm sure they would have been tears of laughter...

• Reply 16 of 62

Boehner is a dickhead.  He's definitely not a homosexual.  That would be seriously insulting homosexual friends that I have.  Closet or not, Boehner is the most worthless piece of crap alive.  I pity the ground this asshole walks on...  I pity the human beings that even have to listen to his complete disregard for thought itself.  I could go further, but that would be unproductive in every sense of the word.  Silence is golden...

Steve

• Reply 17 of 62
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebadfishy View Post

You got the "silence is golden" part right.... just one paragraph too late.

• Reply 18 of 62
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 19 of 62

Please don't quote that post. It's just more work to remove.

• Reply 20 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

God, I hate Boehner. Such a duplitious, partisan ****-face. Embodies everything that's wrong with politics today.