T-Mobile to reportedly unveil iPhone plans at 'Uncarrier' event, iPads to be absent [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
T-Mobile, the fourth-largest wireless carrier in the U.S., will reportedly discuss its plans for an upcoming rollout of Apple's iPhone at a scheduled special event on Tuesday, which would finally bring the telecom's smartphone product offering in line with the "big-three."

Update: AllThingsD has heard that T-Mobile is not expected to introduce a compatible version of Apple's iPad at the "Uncarrier" event and, while a full lineup of iPhones will likely be carried in the near future, the handset may not be immediately available.

T-Mobile

According to people familiar with T-Mobile's launch plans, the iPhone will not only be mentioned at tomorrow's "Uncarrier" event, but is slated to be the one of the main focuses of the talk, reports CNet.

The carrier will reportedly showcase the iPhone as the headline device in its new price structure, which eschews subsidies in favor of lower monthly rates. The scheme will have customers pay an upfront fee and a monthly charge on top of the service plan to make up for device cost.

In addition, T-Mobile is said to be readying the iPhone 5 and its 4G LTE capabilities as a headlining product for the telecom's advanced network, which could also be launched at Tuesday's event.

It was reported in January that nearly 2 million iPhones were in operation on T-Mobile's network, with the Apple handset fueling over 100,000 activations each month.

T-Mobile announced last year that it had struck a deal with Apple to become a partner carrier, though the carrier has yet to divulge when the tech giant's products will be available on its network.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Interesting how Spring is now a member of a "Big Three".

The iPhone's the only reason for that. They'd better not forget it.

• Reply 2 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Interesting how Spring is now a member of a "Big Three".

The iPhone's the only reason for that. They'd better not forget it.

I always thought it was a member of the "Big Four", along with Summer, Autu....... image

Back on topic, it is amazing to me how the iPhone still carries the ultimate cachet. To the undoubtedly continuing chagrin of the fandroiders out there, this one product will probably bring T-Mobile far more prestige and credibility than the rest of the handset models put together.

• Reply 3 of 24
    I can already hear the virtual "tires" screeching before the big network traffic "crash" they're facing.

I doubt t-mobile is ready for the influx of data consumptions, new customers, and upgrading customers.

The mascot biker girl's "aunt flow" will be in town and its gonna be a bloody mess if this is true.

Lol

T-Mobil might as well drop pink and adopt red as their new color.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I always thought it was a member of the "Big Four", along with Summer, Autu....... image

Back on topic, it is amazing to me how the iPhone still carries the ultimate cachet. To the undoubtedly continuing chagrin of the fandroiders out there, this one product will probably bring T-Mobile far more prestige and credibility than the rest of the handset models put together.

Amazing indeed. I'd say, for T-M, it's about more than prestige and credibility. It's about survival. Previously, without the iPhone, they were going to wave the white towel and *merge* with AT&T. With that plan scuttled, I give them marks for not just getting the iPhone in their stable, but for trying something different.

• Reply 5 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I give them marks for not just getting the iPhone in their stable, but for trying something different.

Seems to me like they are going to ruin it. If they sell it completely unsubsidised, it will have a very high price point. I don't see them convincing many people who typically get the phone free to suddenly pay out over $500 up front. If the iPhone 5 is $650 and the Galaxy S3 is $550, it will just encourage sales of the cheaper handsets like the iPhone 4 and cheaper Android phones. It doesn't matter one bit to T-Mobile because they only get the money from the monthly payment.

Worst case it should be a bit of both e.g voluntary amount up front and that equates to a lower monthly fee and/or contract length. So if you have $200, you'd pay that and your monthly fee might drop from $40/m + 24 month contract to $25/m + 24 month contract. You'd just get a slider of how much you wanted to pay up front.
  • Reply 6 of 24

You Totally don't understand the T-mobile plans.  Over 24 months Tmo is $960 cheaper then the same plan on verizon. Verizon still wants $200 for iphone5 up front while Tmo will want $650, which can be payed in monthly installments. That's over $20/mo. cheaper and $40/mo. after the 24months are up. Now if you want to talk about the quality of service that's totally different and dependent on location.

• Reply 7 of 24
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I can already hear the virtual "tires" screeching before the big network traffic "crash" they're facing.

I doubt t-mobile is ready for the influx of data consumptions, new customers, and upgrading customers.

The mascot biker girl's "aunt flow" will be in town and its gonna be a bloody mess if this is true.

Lol

T-Mobil might as well drop pink and adopt red as their new color.

AT&T wasn't ready either.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    I just moved to the US and plan to use T-Mobile with my original iPhone (my iPhone 4 is locked) while I wait for the latest and greatest to release. I am more then happy to pay for the phone outright since in the long run you can save a lot of money. In one calculation under AT&T, I found that I can save some $2000. Crazy!
  • Reply 9 of 24
    krusekruse Posts: 1member
    I think it's smart to offer this plan by T-Mobile. People are getting tired of locked in plans and the "hidden fees".
  • Reply 10 of 24
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fechhelm View Post

You Totally don't understand the T-mobile plans.  Over 24 months Tmo is $960 cheaper then the same plan on verizon. Verizon still wants $200 for iphone5 up front while Tmo will want $650, which can be payed in monthly installments. That's over $20/mo. cheaper and $40/mo. after the 24months are up. Now if you want to talk about the quality of service that's totally different and dependent on location.

At the end of your contract, Verizon doesn't discount the $18-20 that was repaying your subsidy off your bill if you wait to replace your iPhone. Once you pay off your phone with T-Mobile that is that for that cost. That is the bit that is going to catch folks eye. Especially those not on grandfathered unlimited data plans

• Reply 11 of 24

I was on TMO for six months until January 2013 with my unlocked iP4 in Dallas. It was horrid because of the incomplete spectrum re-allocation. 3G only in spots and never indoors. Edge unusable (latencies of 5+seconds, 1kbps "speeds"). 

ATT is ridiculously expensive but LTE absolutely flies on the iP5 in Dallas. TMO was really only adequate for voice, not for data on the iPhone.

If they don't get their network iPhone compatible before this event they'll piss off a lot of people who purchase the phone unlocked in anticipation of good service from TMO.

• Reply 12 of 24
    galore2112 wrote: »
    I was on TMO for six months until January 2013 with my unlocked iP4 in Dallas. It was horrid because of the incomplete spectrum re-allocation. 3G only in spots and never indoors. Edge unusable (latencies of 5+seconds, 1kbps "speeds"). 
    ATT is ridiculously expensive but LTE absolutely flies on the iP5 in Dallas. TMO was really only adequate for voice, not for data on the iPhone.

If they don't get their network iPhone compatible before this event they'll piss off a lot of people who purchase the phone unlocked in anticipation of good service from TMO.

You can't fairly compare the iPhone 4 experience on T-Mobile with the iPhone 5 on At&T. First, the iPhone 5 natively completely supports T-Mobile's 4G network as it will it's LTE network. T-mobile's 4G network was faster than AT&T's.

The iPhone 4 didn't support the frequency T-Mobile used for 3G. It wasn't until the AT&T merger failed that T-Mobile started using some of the frequencies it gained from AT&T and refarming other frequencies to natively support the iPhone 4 on it's 3G network. T-Mobile's 4G network is well developed, and iPhone support on 3G is improving.

Moreover, what is the point in having super fast data speeds when AT&T limits your data? T-Mobile will cap your high speed data after a fixed amount, but it still is unlimited on 3G.
  • Reply 13 of 24

Amazing indeed. I'd say, for T-M, it's about more than prestige and credibility. It's about survival. Previously, without the iPhone, they were going to wave the white towel and *merge* with AT&T. With that plan scuttled, I give them marks for not just getting the iPhone in their stable, but for trying something different.

T-Mobile was not throwing in the towel. AT&T offered it a sweet heart couldn't lose deal. Either AT&T was going to over pay for it, or give it 4 Billion dollars if the deal failed. Turns out it gained the 4 billion in cash and frequency.

You also can't say for sure T-Mobile wouldn't have gotten the iPhone sooner had it not been for the AT&T merger proposal. That would have prevented T-Mobile from investing in its infrastructure and making big deals while the merger was pending.
  • Reply 14 of 24

Originally Posted by galore2112 View Post

Here's the deal Galore, no matter where you are in the USA one of the providers is really weak on coverage, maybe even a couple of them are dogging last place in coverage. And everyone shines like a beacon somewhere and stinks to high heaven somewhere else. 

So, the best phone provider is the one that gives you the best coverage within the areas where you plan on using your phone the most. 

• Reply 15 of 24
    tbell wrote: »
    AT&T wasn't ready either.

I remember clearly....

Just paying it forward for all the friends who were with sprint and t-mobile and have me "ish" over those woes.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    The all things d story does not say they won't announce iPhones : "We’re hearing T-Mobile is expected to soon have a full lineup of iPhone devices, though no announcement of a T-Mobile equipped iPad is expected on Tuesday. Even the iPhones may not be immediately available." Sounds to me like they will announce the iPhone but it might not be for sale today
  • Reply 17 of 24

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Here's the deal Galore, no matter where you are in the USA one of the providers is really weak on coverage, maybe even a couple of them are dogging last place in coverage. And everyone shines like a beacon somewhere and stinks to high heaven somewhere else. 

So, the best phone provider is the one that gives you the best coverage within the areas where you plan on using your phone the most. 

DFW is one of the biggest metroplexes in the USA, not BFE.

TMO officially called Dallas "refarmed" for iPhone 3G compatibility and has billboards up that advertise switching to them with an iPhone.

It's not about so-so service, it's about unusable data speeds because even Edge is not really working here.

• Reply 18 of 24
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Not exactly a one-to-one comparison, but their single phone plans aren't nearly as competitive as I had hoped.  T-Mobile's 2GB "unlimited" plan at $60 is priced similarly to my grandfathered AT&T "unlimited" (5GB) plan with 400 rollover minutes and 200 texts (I rely on iMessage) with my FAN discount.

• Reply 19 of 24
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

T-Mobile will cap your high speed data after a fixed amount, but it still is unlimited on 3G.

Isn't that's 2G, not 3G?

Quote:

Adds 2 GB to your included 500 MB of high-speed data. Smartphone Mobile HotSpot service included. Speeds slowed up to 2G speeds after 2.5 GB

• Reply 20 of 24
    I hope they announce new cities that are being upgraded to support the iPhone.

I've been using a MVNO carrier (Solavei) that uses T-Mobile's towers for 7 months now. We left AT&T after 5 years and I have been surprised at how good T-Mobile's coverage has been. We went from paying $180 a month for our two iPhones to $113 a month (or $56.56 per line, no contract) for unlimited talk, text and data on a nationwide 4G Network. So, we've saved $600 and are using our unlocked iPhone 4's.

I used a HTC One with Solavei side by side with my iPhone on AT&T for a month to see if my coverage was going to suck on T-Mobile's towers, but t didn't. Their 4g was really fast and solid on that android phone, but I couldn't stand the android experience and decided to keep my iPhone. The only downside is in cities where t-mobile hasn't updated their network because there I only get 2g speeds when not on wifi, but I'm usually on wifi.

I've been really happy overall on t-mobiles network. Way less dropped calls than I had on that other network.

If you want to find out about Solavei's plan, you can check it out here, on my page with them. www.unlimited4Gplan.com