T-Mobile to reportedly unveil iPhone plans at 'Uncarrier' event, iPads to be absent [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

I remember clearly....

Just paying it forward for all the friends who were with sprint and t-mobile and have me "ish" over those woes.

LOL. My point though is securing the iPhone for an exclusive multiyear contract was a genius move by AT&T. AT&T was nowhere near Verizon in terms of subscribers. Once the iPhone was on board, AT&T took off. The exclusivity helped Android as well because the other carriers needed an answer to the iPhone, and Android was free to grow on the other networks without free of the iPhone. 

Like AT&T, T-Mobile should be able to ramp up its network if people become interested in the plan. Assuming coverage is good in one's area, the price beats AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint by quite a margin even while taking the subsidy into consideration. 

• Reply 22 of 24
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Isn't that's 2G, not 3G?

That might be a change with the new plans. Currently, on my value plan, speeds drop to 3G. In reality, my iPhone only works with 2G and 3G so I assume I would just stay at 3G. I never have reached my 2GB cap, but I don't watch video. I do stream Pandora though. 

Maybe the change is how T-Mobile plans to deal with potential data concerns. I still think the plans are a very good deal. Truly unlimited everything is $70. That still is quite a bit lower than the $130 on AT&T, which lacks unlimited data. 

Moreover, if you already have a phone, you really don't have much to lose trying the plans out as there is no contract. 

Update:

T-Mobile's CEO just said what I said. 4G speeds after the cap will be throttled to 3G.

• Reply 23 of 24
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

I have several friends on Verizon still on the old grandfathered unlimited plan who are using older phones. The reason they won't upgrade to a new phone is because will lose that unlimited plan. They plan on buying a new phone when one catches their eye but will pay full price to keep their plans. 

I understand phone companies needing to recoup the subsidy price of around $400, but after the phone is paid off they don't give you any reduction in your monthly bill. For people that upgrade phones as soon as their upgrade date appears it doesn't effect them all that much but other people that might keep a phone longer it is an unfair tax used to pay for those more frequent upgrades. 

I like the T-Mobile model since everything about it is above board and transparent. You pay more every month to pay for your phone but once it is paid ff your phone bills shrinks since your phone is paid off. 

• Reply 24 of 24
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Like AT&T, T-Mobile should be able to ramp up its network if people become interested in the plan. Assuming coverage is good in one's area, the price beats AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint by quite a margin even while taking the subsidy into consideration. 

It is far cheaper than AT&T and Verizon bit really doesn't beat Sprint's prices by much.In fact since Sprint's give you the subsidy for your phone they are still cheaper.  If you were to choose Sprint as an individual chances are you would choose the $79 a month plan that includes unlimited data, texts, and mobile to mobile calling. They do limit you to 450 minutes to landline phones but that is probably far more than most people require now since most calls are to other mobile phones. That is before any discounts that can range from 28% for some companies to 10% for people without any corporate discount but at least have a bank account at a credit union.