Apple earns 'huge win' against Samsung on rubber banding patent

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Key aspects of Apple's so-called "rubber banding" patent related to scrolling in iOS have been validated by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, marking a major victory for the company in its ongoing patent dispute against Samsung.

Rubber Banding Patent
Illustration of Apple's "rubber-banding" patent. | Source: USPTO

Apple informed U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh on Thursday that the USPTO will issue a reexamination certificate confirming four key claims of the patent in question, according to intellectual property expert Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents. The certificate will validate significant portions of U.S. Patent No. 7,469,381.

Among the portions confirmed by the USPTO is "claim 19," which Apple successfully leveraged against a number of Samsung products in the two companies' high-profile California trial last year. In that case, the jury sided with Apple and found that Samsung had infringed on its patented inventions.

"As a result of this new reexamination certificate, claim 19 will enjoy an enhanced presumption of validity against the invalidity theories the patent office evaluated," Mueller wrote. "Instead of invalidation in mid-2017 or later, this patent has now been confirmed in mid-2013."

The USPTO had previously tentatively rejected all claims in the patent, including claim 19, but Apple cautioned the court to wait for the process to unfold. The latest USPTO decision was portrayed by Mueller as a "huge win" for Apple, potentially giving the iPhone maker "the upper hand with other key patents it's asserting against Samsung" in both California and at the International Trade Commission.

Apple's so-called "rubber-banding" or scroll bounce-back patent deals with the iOS user interface feature that lets users know when they have reached the bottom of a scrollable page. It has been a key user interface element of Apple's mobile operating system since the launch of the first iPhone in 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    I remember discussing how messed up these sorts of patents (at the time, mostly software patents in general) were back in the day on Slashdot (when it was a real site, as opposed to ... :( ).

If they are going to enforce these things, which they obviously are, then good for Apple. From my limited understanding of the case, it seems like they should have won.

But the world would be a much easier place if you couldn't patent stuff like this.
  • Reply 2 of 122
    I don't understand how this can be patentable. It's a virtual imitation of physics that humans discovered, not invented.
  • Reply 3 of 122
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    aaronj wrote: »
    If they are going to enforce these things, which they obviously are, then good for Apple. From my limited understanding of the case, it seems like they should have won.

But the world would be a much easier place if you couldn't patent stuff like this.

As far as patents go, this seems pretty innocuous. Apple did this in a particular way, and there are many good alternatives: no one else needs to do it in exactly the same way. If they do, they're just copying Apple's painting and signing their own name.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I don't understand how this can be patentable. It's a virtual imitation of physics that humans discovered, not invented.

You should have just written "What is a patent?" for your post. You'd be saying the same thing.
  • Reply 5 of 122
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

I'm a happy camper knowing Samsung is getting each finger cut off Yakuza style... 

Fandroids take notice.  STEALING others' ideas and justifying it makes you just as sad.  I'm hoping for a sledgehammer to Samsung's skull next.

• Reply 6 of 122
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    This hurts everyone. Rubber bands (like chewing gum and wax paper) are key cost-saving components in the construction of most Samsung phones.
  • Reply 7 of 122
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Samsung didn't discover anything and Samsung didn't just accidentally stumble upon rubber banding one day, they stole the idea from Apple.

• Reply 8 of 122
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You should have just written "What is a patent?" for your post. You'd be saying the same thing.

Quite right. And if you really want a dumpster load of uninformed anti-Apple troll comments, just go to any Apple story on The Verge. Nilay Patel leads the parade of Apple bashers... and he's one of the site's founders!

In fact, on Twitter Jim Dalrymple just retweeted a criticism of Patel's article ("'Can't innovate anymore, my ass': Apple's bravado clouds the company's real challenges") by a guy named @HugoKessler, who said "Wow. The Verge is on fire. Like actually on fire--burning away any last remainder of their reputation away."

• Reply 9 of 122
    "Fandroids take notice. STEALING others' ideas and justifying it makes you just as sad. I'm hoping for a sledgehammer to Samsung's skull next."

Yeah, just look at iOS 7!

- control centre from Android
    - task switching from WebOS
    - email from BB10

http://blog.inner-active.com/2013/06/here-are-the-things-apple-totally-ripped-off-from-competitors-for-ios-7/

So before you berate Android for copying, your precious Apple is doing the same thing.
  • Reply 10 of 122
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnbiasedDave View Post

So before you berate Android for copying, your precious Apple is doing the same thing.

Thought experiments:

• iOS 7 today if Android didn't exist. What would it look like? How would it work? How good would it be? How quickly would it have advanced?

• And Android today if iOS didn't exist. What would it look like? How would it work? How good would it be? How quickly would it have advanced?

• Is all "copying" the same? Is copying a lot the same as copying a little? Is doing something second, the same as illegal patent? Are all patent suits the same?

• Control Center. Seems a lot like 1984 Mac OS. Did Android steal it?

• Trolling. Does it somehow affect sales? Does it somehow affect users?

• Reply 11 of 122

Quote:

"Fandroids take notice. STEALING others' ideas and justifying it makes you just as sad. I'm hoping for a sledgehammer to Samsung's skull next."

- email from BB10

http://blog.inner-active.com/2013/06/here-are-the-things-apple-totally-ripped-off-from-competitors-for-ios-7/

Dave, you're biased.

Besides, although you were responding to an inaccurate claim neither Apple, nor Samsung can be penalized for "stealing ideas". Samsung is and was infringing on Apple's patents. 

To be clear... "IDEAS" ARE NOT PATENTS.

• Reply 12 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Thought experiments:

• iOS 7 today if Android didn't exist. What would it look like? How would it work? How good would it be? How quickly would it have advanced?

• And Android today if iOS didn't exist. What would it look like? How would it work? How good would it be? How quickly would it have advanced?

• Is all "copying" the same? Is copying a lot the same as copying a little? Is doing something second, the same as illegal patent? Are all patent suits the same?

• Control Center. Seems a lot like 1984 Mac OS. Did Android steal it?

• Trolling. Does it somehow affect sales? Does it somehow affect users?

Android would not even exist if it weren't for the iPhone.

• Reply 13 of 122

I don't mind the biased accusation, I own an iPhone 5, a Android HTC One, A BB Q10 and a Lumia 920 (benefits of writing software for multiple platforms).

They all have good points, and bad points. They have ideas from other platforms, and some are original. 

My response was based on the statement that a sizeable set of Apple fans seem to think Samsung/Android have stolen *everything* from iOS. While there's certainly some truth in that accusation, it's also true that in technology everyone's as bad as each other.

iOS just shows that Apple aren't above using other ideas and making them better. It's just hypocritical to complain and sue on one side, but also take good ideas and pass them as yours on the other.

• Reply 14 of 122
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Dave, you're biased.

Besides, although you were responding to an inaccurate claim neither Apple, nor Samsung can be penalized for "stealing ideas". Samsung is and was infringing on Apple's patents. 

To be clear... "IDEAS" ARE NOT PATENTS.

Apple bought a boatload of PalmOS patents in April. I wonder if they included the task switcher.
  • Reply 15 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="UnbiasedDave" url="/t/158031/apple-earns-huge-win-against-samsung-on-rubber-banding-patent#post_2345624"]I own...[/QUOTE]

No one gives a frick.
  • Reply 16 of 122

Quote:

I don't mind the biased accusation, I own an iPhone 5, a Android HTC One, A BB Q10 and a Lumia 920 (benefits of writing software for multiple platforms).

They all have good points, and bad points. They have ideas from other platforms, and some are original. 

My response was based on the statement that a sizeable set of Apple fans seem to think Samsung/Android have stolen *everything* from iOS. While there's certainly some truth in that accusation, it's also true that in technology everyone's as bad as each other.

iOS just shows that Apple aren't above using other ideas and making them better. It's just hypocritical to complain and sue on one side, but also take good ideas and pass them as yours on the other.

Once more, all together now... "IDEAS" ARE NOT PATENTS.

• Reply 17 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Apple bought a boatload of PalmOS patents in April. I wonder if they included the task switcher.

I missed that story! Apparently critics of iOS 7 functionality must've missed it also.

http://japandailypress.com/apple-acquires-palm-patents-from-japans-access-co-for-10m-1126778

• Reply 18 of 122
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

- email from BB10

So where are those patents...
  • Reply 19 of 122

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/13/02/25/1747201/lg-acquires-webos-source-code-and-patents-from-hp

I would imagine HP held onto them and only recently sold them to LG.

Anyway, the task switching system is the same as Windows Phone 8, just with the additional ability to close apps. What'll be interesting to see is if in iOS 7 apps can still run in the background, or whether or not they'll be tombstoned.

• Reply 20 of 122
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I missed that story! Apparently critics of iOS 7 functionality must've missed it also.

http://japandailypress.com/apple-acquires-palm-patents-from-japans-access-co-for-10m-1126778

Appreciate the link. I missed it too. As the article said, no way this would have happened a couple years ago.