Apple earns 'huge win' against Samsung on rubber banding patent

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 122
    I don't get it. Apple [not so] discretely rips off dozens of UI elements and features from competitors in their iOS7 refresh. All the while they peruse this frivolous 'rubber banding' feature against Samsung. I love Apple, but they are starting to become hypocritical patent-trolling trash.

    Don't even get me started on the pull-down notification..
  • Reply 22 of 122
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Accidental View Post



    I don't get it. Apple [not so] discretely rips off dozens of UI elements and features from competitors in their iOS7 refresh. All the while they peruse this frivolous 'rubber banding' feature against Samsung. I love Apple, but they are starting to become hypocritical patent-trolling trash.



    Don't even get me started on the pull-down notification..


    Yo, lemme guess.


     


    You also own an iPhone and probably a couple of Macs too? Right? image

  • Reply 23 of 122
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,087member
    jungmark wrote: »
    So where are those patents...

    Doesn't really matter since Google would be highly unlikely to initiate a lawsuit over any of them. They studiously avoid IP lawsuits, having only filed one so far in their 15 years. Apple isn't in any danger of attracting one from treading a little too close to Google IP IMO.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,397member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by UnbiasedDave View Post



    "Fandroids take notice. STEALING others' ideas and justifying it makes you just as sad. I'm hoping for a sledgehammer to Samsung's skull next."



    Yeah, just look at iOS 7!



    - control centre from Android

    - task switching from WebOS

    - email from BB10



    http://blog.inner-active.com/2013/06/here-are-the-things-apple-totally-ripped-off-from-competitors-for-ios-7/



    So before you berate Android for copying, your precious Apple is doing the same thing.


    Well, if that's the case, then let them litigate and find out, as Apple has done.


     


    Your claim (and the silly blog you linked to) is nothing more than some pathetic troll rambling.


     


    'Unbiased', my ass.

  • Reply 25 of 122
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post



    I don't understand how this can be patentable. It's a virtual imitation of physics that humans discovered, not invented.


     


    Funny, I don't recall a letter I received bouncing back when I had reached the end. Ditto for the newspaper article, no matter how hard I tried to see if there was more of it. The rubber-banding might be a virtual representation of physics, but not in the context of the way it is used in iOS.

  • Reply 26 of 122
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,397member

    Deleted

  • Reply 27 of 122

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    You should have just written "What is a patent?" for your post. You'd be saying the same thing.


     


    I understand patents very well.  Please explain to me how making a virtual copy of a physical phenomenon is patentable.

  • Reply 28 of 122

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


     


    Funny, I don't recall a letter I received bouncing back when I had reached the end. Ditto for the newspaper article, no matter how hard I tried to see if there was more of it. The rubber-banding might be a virtual representation of physics, but not in the context of the way it is used in iOS.



     


    Put that letter inside a cardboard box and push it toward the side.  It will rebound slightly when it can't travel anymore.

  • Reply 29 of 122

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Samsung didn't discover anything and Samsung didn't just accidentally stumble upon rubber banding one day, they stole the idea from Apple.



     


    Did I say anything about Samsung?  No, I didn't.  Samsung shouldn't copy Apple's software in blatant ways, but Apple shouldn't patent things that aren't patentable.

  • Reply 30 of 122
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,397member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


    I understand patents very well.  Please explain to me how making a virtual copy of a physical phenomenon is patentable.



    Here... let me help:


     


     


    USPTO Contact Center (UCC)


    For general information, mailing addresses, Internet addresses, and contact information for other USPTO services. General Support is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET (except federal holidays). 


    Technical Support is available Monday through Friday 5:30 a.m. to midnight ET and Saturday and Sunday 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET. (select option # 3). Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. 


    800-786-9199 (toll-free) | 571-272-1000 (local) | 800-877-8339 (TTY)

  • Reply 31 of 122


    Apple ][:  I have a MacBook Pro, but not an iPhone. Thanks.

  • Reply 32 of 122
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I don't understand how this can be patentable. It's a virtual imitation of physics that humans discovered, not invented.

    We're enjoying your disbelief. In fact, it's kind of turning us on...

    Where is your Flawgic God now!

    iOS just shows that Apple aren't above using other ideas and making them better.

    What do you think the iPod was to the MP3 player market? The MacBook Air to the ultraportable market? The iPad to the entire PC industry? Hell, we could go on forever...

    Tell me that you're a better developer than you are at recognising the difference between genuine, legal competition and infringement...
  • Reply 33 of 122
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


     


    Put that letter inside a cardboard box and push it toward the side.  It will rebound slightly when it can't travel anymore.



     


    Wow, that's a stretch (no pun intended). Now if the thing that was rubber-banding in iOS started to fold or wrinkle, you might have something. Also, why would I be reading a letter in a cardboard box anyway?

  • Reply 34 of 122
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


     


    Did I say anything about Samsung?  No, I didn't.  Samsung shouldn't copy Apple's software in blatant ways, but Apple shouldn't patent things that aren't patentable.



    I'm not a patent lawyer, nor do I pretend to be one. 


     


    Key aspects of Apple's so-called "rubber banding" patent related to scrolling in iOS have been validated by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office


     


    You should let the US patent office know that you object to their decision, because it seems to me that they have validated Apple's rubber banding patent.


  • Reply 35 of 122
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Accidental View Post



    I don't get it. Apple [not so] discretely rips off dozens of UI elements and features from competitors in their iOS7 refresh. All the while they peruse this frivolous 'rubber banding' feature against Samsung. I love Apple, but they are starting to become hypocritical patent-trolling trash.



    Don't even get me started on the pull-down notification..


     


    You're right. You don't get it.

  • Reply 36 of 122
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


     


    Android would not even exist if it weren't for the iPhone.



    Not exactly true - Android started out as a copy of Blackberry, then re-oriented their copiers when the iPhone came. A Blackberry copy would have been their maximum success if not for the iPhone.

  • Reply 37 of 122


    Exactly. Because everyone knows how much credibility the USPTO has had in recent years...  /s


     


    Have you seen the copious amounts of news about US patent reform, coming straight from the top? This lawsuit falls in the frivolous category that Obama is trying to stop.


     


    Edit, let me help by providing the link:


    http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/06/04/fact-sheet-white-house-task-force-high-tech-patent-issues

  • Reply 38 of 122

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Here... let me help:


     


     


    USPTO Contact Center (UCC)


    For general information, mailing addresses, Internet addresses, and contact information for other USPTO services. General Support is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET (except federal holidays). 


    Technical Support is available Monday through Friday 5:30 a.m. to midnight ET and Saturday and Sunday 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET. (select option # 3). Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. 


    800-786-9199 (toll-free) | 571-272-1000 (local) | 800-877-8339 (TTY)



     


    They're not going to answer my question.  Looks like you don't have an answer either.  It shouldn't be patentable.  Refute me with a real argument.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post





    We're enjoying your disbelief. In fact, it's kind of turning us on...



    Where is your Flawgic God now!


     


    I see what you did there ;)


     


    Only logic here.  Give me an answer and I'll consider why the rubber banding action should be patentable.

  • Reply 39 of 122
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


     


    I understand patents very well.  Please explain to me how making a virtual copy of a physical phenomenon is patentable.



     


    Obviously you don't understand patents. A representation of a physical phenomena in digital form is completely different. Do real-world physics cause those effects to occur on a screen? Wow... image image

  • Reply 40 of 122

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


     


    Wow, that's a stretch (no pun intended). Now if the thing that was rubber-banding in iOS started to fold or wrinkle, you might have something.



     


    Not a stretch at all.  The UI is a virtual sheet inside a virtual box, reacting to a virtual wall with a virtual rebound.

Sign In or Register to comment.