Users report Wi-Fi connectivity issues with Apple's new 802.11ac MacBook Airs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Some early adopters of Apple's latest MacBook Air models have found their new thin-and-light notebook will unexpectedly and repeatedly drop its wireless connection.

MacBook Air

A growing thread on the Apple Support Communities website details the connectivity problems being experienced by numerous users. The problems appear to apply to both the 11- and 13-inch varieties of the recently updated notebook lineup.

In addition, an anonymous source from an Apple retail store in London said to Gizmodo that their store has had complaints about wireless connectivity for the new MacBook Airs that are "well above average."

In the thread on Apple's official site, users say they're experiencing the problems across a range of routers, including Apple's own AirPort accessories. Users say they can initially connect to a Wi-Fi network, but that connection will drop after a short period of use.

At the moment, there doesn't appear to be an available solution that addresses the problems seen by all users, though some have had success with various routers or even different placement of the MacBook Air.

The updated MacBook Air lineup launched last week at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. In addition to faster 802.11ac connectivity, the notebooks also feature Intel's latest Haswell processors, helping to enable battery life as great as 12 hours.

The new MacBook Airs are also priced $100 less than their predecessors, with the new low-end $999 11-inch model packing 128 gigabytes of flash storage. Readers can always find the lowest prices on Mac notebooks in AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide.

In addition to the discounts, it's worth mentioning that a couple of the largest resellers only charge tax in their home state (B&H Photo, NY), or states in which they operate (MacMall, CA, IL, NY, TN, MN, GA, NC, WI.). Orders shipped from these resellers to other states are untaxed. Those savings are in addition to those listed in red in the Price Guides, a snippet of which follows:

New 2013 MacBook Airs

*Price when using links in the Mac Price Guide and then applying 3% discount Promo Code APPLEINSIDER01
*MacMall also only charges sales tax for orders shipped to CA, IL, NY, TN, MN, GA, NC, WI.
-B&H only charges sales tax in NY
-B&H offers AppleInsider readers a savings of roughly 30% on 3-Year AppleCare protection plans when purchased alongside a new Mac.

New 2013 MacBook Airs with 3 Years of AppleCare

*Price when using links in the Mac Price Guide and then applying 3% discount Promo Code APPLEINSIDER01
*MacMall also only charges sales tax for orders shipped to CA, IL, NY, TN, MN, GA, NC, WI.
-B&H only charges sales tax in NY
-B&H offers AppleInsider readers a savings of roughly 30% on 3-Year AppleCare protection plans when purchased alongside a new Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    So in summary, every time Apple releases a new product or OS there are users who report wifi and battery life issues.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Likely a minor deal, but reminds me why I'm almost never a day one adopter of either new HW or SW...

• Reply 3 of 52
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

So in summary, every time Apple releases a new product or OS there are users who report wifi and battery life issues.

In summary, I suspect, majority of those reports are either fake or made by people having not a slightest idea on what they are doing.

• Reply 4 of 52
    Can the author expand on this? So how many "reports" are we talking about here? Also you state that it is happening with Apple's own stuff. Does this include the new AC router? Would like to have the facts please.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [QUOTE][SIZE=4]Users report being hit upside the head with a box of stupid[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
  • Reply 6 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So now we'll have a wifi gate. Just like iOS 7 has icon gate and design gate. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 7 of 52
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

Can the author expand on this? So how many "reports" are we talking about here? Also you state that it is happening with Apple's own stuff. Does this include the new AC router? Would like to have the facts please.

Why not click on the link in the second sentence which answers many of these questions?

• Reply 8 of 52
    I can't believe this is on here. If the author bothered to look through that thread, they'd see that maybe ten-fifteen people have reported similar problems. I don't get how this can be reported without any proper investigation.

EDIT: I get it. It's an ad. For MacBook Airs. That is: MacBook Airs are exhibiting problems connecting to wifi networks, but buy one anyway - here's a link to our sponsors. WHAT.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tnsf wrote: »

plagen wrote: »
    In summary, I suspect, majority of those reports are either fake or made by people having not a slightest idea on what they are doing.

While there's always some of the latter, it is not unusual for Apple (and anyone else) to have glitches with new products. There have been quick firmware updates to fix similar problems in earlier Apple laptops, as well. It could be a real problem, but if it is, it will undoubtedly be fixed shortly.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    [quote name="frxntier" url="/t/158160/users-report-wi-fi-connectivity-issues-with-apples-new-802-11ac-macbook-airs#post_2349767"]I can't believe this is on here. If the author bothered to look through that thread, they'd see that maybe ten-fifteen people have reported similar problems. I don't get how this can be reported without any proper investigation. [/QUOTE]

Because proper investigation would reveal there are no problems and that the people reporting them are complete idiots.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    sdo2000sdo2000 Posts: 29member
    I have not had that problem on my mbp, but certainly had it with my ip5 when I got it in November. I had to get a replacement which fixed the issue.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Because proper investigation would reveal there are no problems and that the people reporting them are complete idiots.

Or paid to do so ...
  • Reply 13 of 52
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Generally speaking, early adopters tend to be more technical and clued-up than the average buyer.

And weren't you banned? image

• Reply 14 of 52
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I hope this gets resolved quickly, if it is a real issue. I'm looking to buy one.

I remember having real Wifi issues when I bought my new iMac (2011). Others did too, according to the Apple support forums. It wasn't resolved until many months later (maybe over a year?) with a firmware update.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

If there are compatibility issues with some routers, I wouldn't be surprised. This is using a bleeding edge ac standard, which as far as I know is not available on any other laptop. 

• Reply 16 of 52
    richl wrote: »
    Generally speaking, early adopters tend to be more technical and clued-up than the average buyer.

Why would you immediately think that all of these people are "early adopters"?

By definition of their cluelessness, a far larger number of people are simply walking into Apple Stores and buying what they were going to buy anyway, knowing nothing about how it's a new model released mere days ago.

:no:
  • Reply 17 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

That thread is mostly the same people posting over and over again. I hardly think that it is worthy of being reporting on.

• Reply 18 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

I wouldn't go that far. But making an article out of this was unnecessary. These Airs are using 802.11ac chipsets now, which probably have quirky backwards compatibility with some routers. Similar thing happened with 11n when it was released and it wasn't unique to Apple either. I'm sure the next OSX patch update will smooth it right out. 

• Reply 19 of 52
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would you immediately think that all of these people are "early adopters"?

By definition of their cluelessness, a far larger number of people are simply walking into Apple Stores and buying what they were going to buy anyway, knowing nothing about how it's a new model released mere days ago.

So you believe that there's no/only a very small sales bump when a new product is released? Despite all of the evidence to the contrary?

• Reply 20 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

There are thousands of unhappy people posting in that thread? image

That's what Gizmodo claims.

A couple of thousand disenfranchised Apple customers seem to have descended on the Apple Support Forums, all with problems with their shiny new MacBook Airs.