Roku set-top boxes can now stream iOS video content to TVs

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In an update to its iOS app on Thursday, Roku added the ability to stream content stored on an iPhone, iPad or iPod directly to a number of its set-top TV products.

Roku
The Roku 3 set-top box with remote and earphones. | Source: Roku

The new Roku for iOS app expands on the company's existing "Play on Roku" feature that allows users to stream photos and music to a Roku device.

Currently an iOS-only function, the addition of video streaming only applies to content stored in an iOS device's Camera Roll. This limits playback to clips shot by an iOS device, unlike Apple's implementation of AirPlay, which allows for movies and other videos stored in the Videos app to be streamed to a television set.

The new feature is compatible with the Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku HD and Roku LT players, and the Roku Streaming Stick.

In addition to the streaming capabilities, Thursday's update also brings the usual bug fixes and performance enhancements.

Roku for iOS is a free 3.3MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member
    Ooops ..... there goes Google's chromecast or whatever crap they are bragging about!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    Boring product ! imagine having to open up an app on the phone to stream content through it.
    Apple TV / Air Play is the right way of doing it.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I don't know when people will figure out that you get what you pay for.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    nikilok wrote: »
    Boring product ! imagine having to open up an app on the phone to stream content through it.
    Apple TV / Air Play is the right way of doing it.

Hopefully Apple can patch Airplay to prevent this.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh this has nothing to do with Airplay.

They are using a software to stream specific kind of material alone to there roxy device.

So you maybe able to stream photographs , and more maybe.

It cant stream just about anything and can't do the mirroring trick.

• Reply 6 of 20

And here I got all excited thinking that Roku had rolled out an update to the device giving it Airplay capability. The headline kinda implied that. Ah well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't know when people will figure out that you get what you pay for.

I think a lot of people have, which is why Apple has been having some great years. I have an AppleTV and I absolutely love it. I also have a Roku and guess what - I absolutely love it. The AppleTV has a far-superior interface and its integration with iTunes is amazing. But in terms of content, for now anyway, Roku has it beat by far. Install Plex and you get virtually unlimited access to content, including that which AppleTV will never get (such as Spotify, and dozens of independent and commercial 'channels').

And as for getting what you pay for, while I'd generally agree with you, we've also got an XBOX 360 that cost seven times what I paid for the Roku (and three times what a current generation AppleTV costs). It's unquestionably the worst excuse for a media device I've ever used (and I've been using media devices since Philips introduced Streamium, one of the earliest devices out there released in 2003). With none of us having much time for games anymore, it sits collecting dust. I'd take a $40 Roku over a $300 XBOX any day!

• Reply 7 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why hopefully?  This isn't a significant threat to Apple, and it offers consumers choice.

• Reply 8 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

And here I got all excited thinking that Roku had rolled out an update to the device giving it Airplay capability. The headline kinda implied that. Ah well...

I think a lot of people have, which is why Apple has been having some great years. I have an AppleTV and I absolutely love it. I also have a Roku and guess what - I absolutely love it. The AppleTV has a far-superior interface and its integration with iTunes is amazing. But in terms of content, for now anyway, Roku has it beat by far. Install Plex and you get virtually unlimited access to content, including that which AppleTV will never get (such as Spotify, and dozens of independent and commercial 'channels').

And as for getting what you pay for, while I'd generally agree with you, we've also got an XBOX 360 that cost seven times what I paid for the Roku (and three times what a current generation AppleTV costs). It's unquestionably the worst excuse for a media device I've ever used (and I've been using media devices since Philips introduced Streamium, one of the earliest devices out there released in 2003). With none of us having much time for games anymore, it sits collecting dust. I'd take a $40 Roku over a $300 XBOX any day!

I totally agree! ATV and Roku are the two best boxes on the market, and I believe that it will be hard to disrupt the two of them. The ATV's UI and integration is unparalleled and Roku's built in content, along with the ability for private channels is unparalleled. PLUS it has pretty much every price point covered.

I have an Xbox 360 as well, and while I actually do think that it's an okay media player, I absolutely REFUSE to pay for an Xbox Live subscription only to be able to watch the content that I already pay somebody else to watch. Other than the price, that's the other major downfall that will keep people from buying an Xbox for media consumption ONLY. 

• Reply 9 of 20
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Once again I have to say Roku 3 is pretty nice. I chose buying it over upgrading my original AppleTV because it can access Amazon Prime which I already have for the shipping. Not expecting this to compete with AirPlay but appreciate any features they add.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    I have 2 Apple TVs but I still love my Roku 3. It's another choice for me in content; I use Spotify on it often when I'm doing chores around the house.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

I have 2 Apple TVs but I still love my Roku 3. It's another choice for me in content; I use Spotify on it often when I'm doing chores around the house.

sounds like a nice product and good to hear them supporting viewing of photos from iOS devices.  Choice is good.

Being an iTunes/Match  subscriber I look forward to the iTunes Radio a feature.

Currently I stream music content from a Mac to multiple Airplay speakers throughout the house in parallel. All in sync. 

• Reply 12 of 20
    nikilok wrote: »
    Oh this has nothing to do with Airplay.
    They are using a software to stream specific kind of material alone to there roxy device.

So you maybe able to stream photographs , and more maybe.

It cant stream just about anything and can't do the mirroring trick.

Oh Ok. Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Mmm... no that many people really care about this "news." Next news please!
  • Reply 14 of 20
    crowley wrote: »
    Why hopefully?  This isn't a significant threat to Apple, and it offers consumers choice.

Apparently it is not what I thought. I had assumed it was akin to Palm and iTunes a few years back. Had it been a genuine Airplay connection then screw consumer choice, it would be one company hopping on to another company's gravy train without doing the work or paying the R&D. As it is perhaps it isn't significant.
  • Reply 15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

How do you play Spotify using Roku? Does that require Spotify premium or Spotify basic will do?

I agree, Roku is very good.

Thanks.

• Reply 16 of 20
    Where's my Chromecast? And it only cost $35. You hear that? $35. Google is ready to rule the streaming world with a $35 device.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I have both Apple TV and ROKU. ROKU works far better with Netflix then Apple TV. I was hoping for Apple to buy ROKU. Apple doesn't seem to be able to have that little descriptive window pop up like ROKU does. I see ROKU developing universally while Apple gets stuck in its developmental bureaucracy. Go ROKU! I love all the independent choices. Now if I can stream my Apple music content and video content from my iPod Touch, I'll be a happy camper. Ahh and one more thing, ROKU has a much better hand held remote!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Ooops ..... there goes Google's chromecast or whatever crap they are bragging about!

When someone shows me a device like this that's just some little USB stick, it makes me wonder how dirt cheap it must be.    I just don't even pay any attention to Google.  It's information that my bran doesn't really want to know exists.  Google just seems like some cheap crap perpetrated on the ignorant.

I'll wait to see what Apple has coming out and then make a decision to buy or wait.  I've waited this long for a TV box, so I'm not in any hurry.

• Reply 19 of 20
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Google just seems like some cheap crap perpetrated on the ignorant.

It really does.  Like I said in another thread:

2010- Google TV

2012- Nexus Q

2013- Chromecast

2014- ???

When will people learn that Google introduces new products just as fast as they abandon them?

• Reply 20 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinvestor View Post

I have both Apple TV and ROKU. ROKU works far better with Netflix then Apple TV. I was hoping for Apple to buy ROKU. Apple doesn't seem to be able to have that little descriptive window pop up like ROKU does. I see ROKU developing universally while Apple gets stuck in its developmental bureaucracy. Go ROKU! I love all the independent choices. Now if I can stream my Apple music content and video content from my iPod Touch, I'll be a happy camper. Ahh and one more thing, ROKU has a much better hand held remote!

Really?  I definitely prefer watching Netflix on my ATV.  In addition to finding the image quality better (both boxes output 1080p via HDMI, but I still think the ATV output looks better), along with less rebuffering (not a WiFi issue, both boxes are hardwired to the same switch), a big issue for me is that the Roku will only output DolbyDigital+ for Netflix but the ATV will output regular DolbyDigital.  I have a fairly high-end home theatre audio system, but it's just a bit too old to support the newer DolbyDigital+ format.  I don't know whether the ATV is doing transcoding or whether Netflix has a special stream for ATV.  I get full 5.1 out of the Roku when watching Amazon streaming on it, but only stereo when watching Netflix.  This is with a Roku 2 and the latest ATV, btw, both hooked up via HDMI inputs to a Pioneer Elite A/V receiver.